Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:07 PM
heliflier3634

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

I love these forums!!!! Building my first warbird a TF gold corsair. Learning alot on here and was wondering if thre are any better ways to hide he flap gaps other than the way the plan shows. Pics would be great.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: heliflier3634

I love these forums!!!! Building my first warbird a TF gold corsair. Learning alot on here and was wondering if thre are any better ways to hide he flap gaps other than the way the plan shows. Pics would be great.
Go to post 142. It shows how I did my gap using 1/64 lite ply.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._6/key_/tm.htm

Good luck with your build

Pete
Old 08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Rob Schaffer

Still plugging away on mine, but things are going well. Here's a few photos. Wing will be next and I'll be using the mods listed in this thread for the flaps and wheel doors. Going to install CorsairJock's wing gun ports as well. I'll post more when they are completed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64875.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	512182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28235.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	512183  
Old 08-24-2006, 12:17 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a cool tribute on the tail, Rob.
S!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Rob Schaffer

Thanks. The project is coming along well and the vinyl graphics make things look so nice. First time using them, and I can't believe I haven't used them before on models. Kirby's Graphics in Ohio cut them for me, and the VF-17 graphic was the most challenging for them but it worked out fantastic. Even all the little periods that I had in the text are on there. It was a challenge to put on the first one, but it looks great.

Big Thanks to Kirby's Graphics.

Rob
Old 10-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Paul S.

Reading through this great mod thread one caught my eye from Corsair Jock. It is on post 41 concerning the cowl. I wanted to do it but go further and make them workable. Not a simple mod but just to see if it would work out. Here's a couple of pics.

Paul S.

Name:	Qo41122.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	536263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22383.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	536264  
Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Shihtzutan

Wouldn't it be nice to condense the content of this forum so that only substance remains. Use everything here and make a booklet to supplement the build. I'd buy it! There is some real creatitivity here. Excellent contributions.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:37 AM
shupack

MAN, disappear for a few years and look what happens.... I've missed alot. My prototype is still in the original moving box, 50% finished...
Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shihtzutan
Wouldn't it be nice to condense the content of this forum so that only substance remains. Use everything here and make a booklet to supplement the build. I'd buy it! There is some real creatitivity here. Excellent contributions.
Hi all, glad to see this thread is still being read and ideas are still coming in. And someday, I hope to meet some of you and see your Corsair projects, and do a little loose formation flying.
YES, it would be nice to edit this thread/ get rid of the useless stuff, or even edit the early posts so that I could insert a table of contents. BUT, I cannot edit the early posts, so here we are.
I hadf intended to publish a book on this at one time, but I found that I kept adding ideas to it, so it appears that it cannot be really finished. And given the sporatic sales of the molded machine gun fairings, I think book sales would probably be the same.
I think the best thing would be for RCU to allow me unlimited editing access to the 1st post. That would allow me to insert a table of contents, which could periodically updated.

I have pretty much posted all of my ideas, but as you can see: others are still adding their ideas, and I for one welcome them.
Also, I purchased a built/ completed Top Flite Corsair which I intend to refinish and modify this coming winter, AFTER I complete my Jemco/ Master Scale Dauntless. When I begin work on the Corsair, I will post pics of my progress here.

In the mean time: THANKS to ALL of you for your Continued Support!

shupack: you mean you haven't finished that prototype XF4U Corsair yet? Well, what can I say: I have a project or 2 that was started about 10 years ago (such as my Jemco Dauntless) that I haven't finished.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:55 AM
shupack

yep, the prototype is still un-finished.....

We have a second baby, and I have my own business now. It's almost to the point where I can quit the day-job, then I'll have time to start building again (did I actually say that?....) I still need to learn how to fly

I think this winter I'll get going again, I'd like to have her crashed, err... in the air, by next summer. I'd buy a book from this (and other) threads, especialy with all the detail photos in high quality..(good project for an entrepreneur...)
Old 10-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Paul S.

I agree to all; this is such a good thread. Thanks for allowing others in, I wasn't sure were to put a mod based on these ideas except here. Plus it doesn't have to be scale perfect; but closer. As far as the cowl flaps, I'm finding out what works and what doesn't with a lot of failures so far but after cutting the flaps straight down though the marked masking tape, I retaped them and then cut around the base to remove them individually. Then I softened the edges by sanding. (Careful on the non-cut portion that remains on top)

I used an inch wide tape and marked according to C J's post #41. But I varied and marked the flaps 3/4" down to leave a 1/4" glue surface on the ring for the hinge and flap. I'm using Dubro small and med hinges. You can use med CA but I would recommend against it because I scrapped several hinges with it wicking up the hinge. I clip off the bottom 1/8" portion of the hinge so the hinge can rest at the rim and swing over. Attaching the flaps; I relieved the backside of the flap so the hinge joint rests flat even with the flap bottom. When attached they can swing freely but before they dried I moved the flap portion to full open postion to set the max postion when open. Today I used 1/8" toggle bolt springs that I bent around to give a base for the glue. CA doesn't work because it has no substance and 30 minute epoxy has substance but was a nightmare trying to maintain postion. I bought 6 min epoxy and the pic shows that worked fine. More later.

Paul S.

Name:	Nl29966.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	536553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd86905.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	536554  
Old 10-07-2006, 01:13 PM
acesfrenchy

nice pic!...I have been looking for a pilot for my corsair...could not find anything that satisfy me...yours look great. Can you tell me where you find it?..appreciate your respond
thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 AM
pappy86

I'm new to r/c universe, I've been a corsair buff since before the black sheep series came out. If u go to the web sight for greg boyington there is a side view of pappy's f4-u1. if you r looking for details. if u want check it out.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Shihtzutan

Paul, how are you planning on actuating them? I was thinking of a loop of flexible cable and kind of just draw it up like a draw string. The actual ones seem to work that way.

Name:	Qn38158.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	544775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27191.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	544776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25510.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	544777  
Old 10-21-2006, 03:25 AM
hoonnz

Where did you find those pic's Shihtzutan? There are lots like them on the web, but these have to be the clearest I've seen. The detail is fantastic, and the other incidental detail as well - the exhaust, the wing roots etc. The photographer has done an exceptional job, are there lots more like those somewhere?
Old 10-21-2006, 08:44 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: hoonnz
Where did you find those pic's Shihtzutan? There are lots like them on the web, but these have to be the clearest I've seen. The detail is fantastic, and the other incidental detail as well - the exhaust, the wing roots etc. The photographer has done an exceptional job, are there lots more like those somewhere?
Actually, there are probably lots of them from MANY sources. These are pics of a currently flying full scale that has been traveling around the country (U.S.A.), and has been photgraphed quite a bit by a lot of people. I have taken a few myself, and a guy named 'Juice' took a LOT of them with details, and posted them somewhere (some are in this thread).
Old 10-22-2006, 01:45 AM
SMUGator

I bought a series of photos on this particular bird that are outstanding for $15 or so from here http://www.airbornemedia.com/. They advertise their "Aeropacs" in Model Aviation routinely.

Tom
Old 10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
voyager_663rd

I'm about 90% finished the cowl mod and wanted to post some "construction" pics for anyone who is unsure. The primary problem I had was doing the top half of the fuse. The bottom was easy because it was "wide open" to see what you were doing. Now with the top half, once you got about at the 10 oclock/two oclock position, you would start to lose sight of what you were doing: ie you had to work from the inside out.

I spent quite a few hours trying to think of the way to do this and came up with "THE BRIDGE". You'll see in the first pic a pink foam semi-circle I made to support the planking from the inside. I had left a small window in the top of the fuse so I could work from the outside in.

I glued in ONE layer of planking to start closing off the gap. They rested on the foam bridge till dry. Only after was it dry did I then put the second layer in. It's important to let the first two-three layers dry so they would add needed support to the upper (ie: outer) layers of planking.

The rest of the pics are self-explanatory. Thanks again to corsairjock for this thread [sm=thumbup.gif]

Name:	If10850.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	547987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54576.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	547988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78190.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	547989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87372.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	547990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26389.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	547991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne56154.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	547992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95150.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	547993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn47572.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	547994  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx40628.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	547995  
Old 10-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Shihtzutan

Thanks for the complement hoonZN, they are mine taken during the Geneseo, NY airshow in 2005. I have about a hundred very detailed pics of this particular aircraft and took pictures of it from avery angle becasue I have a TF Cosair on the bench right now. Sheeted and fiberglassed and almost ready for paint! Screw the machine guns, I'm going to make mine a cannon bird! I'm considering the cowel flaps but I keep thinking I need to be practical, this is only a 60 size model and I plan on flying the hell out of it! Every single stencil and panel has been photographed. Just let me know what you need!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Paul S.

Shihtzutan, Yes that's how I did it. I epoxied these tiny glass beads to the inner top that you can thread for the wire to run through. One from the left and one from the right, clockwise and counter-clockwise; like pulling shoe strings. Need batteries, no pics sorry...

Paul S.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Shihtzutan

Wow, Paul S!

What a good idea! I think I know exactly how you did it! No spring loaded needed! Just a hinge of some sort, a small Sullivan flex cable should be stiff, yet flexible enough to do the job. I inherited a friend of mine's TF Corsair after he got started on it, got frustrated with it, so I have double everything canopy cowl, etc., and lots of wood! Luckily, he only started building it becasue everything he touched is screwed up! I can afford to play around with cowl flaps.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 PM
BMDyer2002

WOW Paul S. I never would have thought of making the Cowl Flaps functional. I am just getting ready to start on a TF Gold Corsair and I will definately take the time to invest in this modification. Some other modifications I was thinking about (and wanted to get some opinions for) are Servo controlled folding wings and scale armaments, maybe even thinking about hiding the air cylinder in the drop tank . Maybe if any of yall have seen these done send me some photos or point me in the right direction. And Paul S. I look forward to seeing the photos of the strung cowl flaps. BTW would you just use the flaps reciever line for the cowl flaps as well?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 11-05-2006, 03:17 PM
voyager_663rd

the folding wing idea was tossed around earlier and generally discarded as not practical. Primarily I think it was weight issues in regards to reinforcing the "join" part, etc.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:28 PM
CorsairJock

I would LOVE to have folding wings on one of mine, but I also like to keep mine light. I figure one could make the wings foldable (manually operated) without adding too much weight: maybe just a few oz. But adding a mechanism to do it remotely: that is what I thing would add a lot of weight.
I think ideally, an extremely geaded down small electric motor turning a wormgear/ jackshaft would work best, and make eliminate the need for a locking mechanism. If doing it with air: 1st off, if you want it to look scale, it has to take sevral seconds. Then, I think you would need a seperate servo to lock and unlock them. Either way, I think you would be adding at least 1/2 lb, possibly much more.
I'm sure some of you will think the weight penalty wouldn't be that bad. In that case, GO FOR IT! and PLEASE, share your ideas with the rest of us.
Like I said, I'd really like to see it done on one of these smaller scale Corsairs (it HAS been done on bigger ones)
Old 11-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Shihtzutan

I kind of agree with you voyager_663rd, it's just not practical on the realtively small wingspan of the TF 60 size Corsair. Making them strong enough to fly would be an engineering feat! If I were to entertain the idea of making folding wings, I think I'd play around with using an inverted retract unit mounted in the spar. The big drawback would be weight, but there are a host of other complications. I thought of making my wings detachable at the fold; instread of having a 1-piece wing, I'd make a 3-piece wing and having the option of re-mounting them in the 'up' position. It would be a nice static display wouldn't it? Nice thought though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.