Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Old 01-14-2007, 09:06 PM
scaleflyer61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Just an interesting note to everyone I actually got to speek to Joe Foss at an airshow and i asked him how the corsair really flew and he said they loaded them down with fuel, ammo, bombs, ect and it still was faster than most loaded the same way but when it wasn't loaded down too much he said it was a "meteor" but down low you can kiss your kidneys goodbye! lol
Old 01-27-2007, 11:46 PM
scaleflyer61

Corsairjock, I printed the drawing of the rudder thet you had at the begining of this forum and it seems right but the rudder itself is about 3/8wider than the plan. The fin seems to fit the plan though. I am just wondering if this is right or do i have it just slightly too large. I just clicked on the drawing, enlarged it, and hit print. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:13 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

By "3/8wider" I assume that you mean from the front to the back. Without digging out all of my prints and reviewing them again, I'll say yes: the full scale rudder IS a little 'wider' than the Top Flite plans indicate.
This is something that is not as noticeable as the in-accuacy of the fin/ rudder outline tho, so it depends on how much effort you want to put into making it more scale. You can use the Top Flite rudder hinge line if you want, and few if any will notice (UNLESS you plan to enter into scale contests). OR you just make the extra effort (not really that much) to make them (fin and rudder) right.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:33 PM
alpinestar

I've finally finished mine! This thread was very helpful during the build. It's not modeled after any particular full scale plane; I just had fun making look the way I liked.
Saito 125, Sierra retracts, single HS-645MG on the flaps, HS-225MG on each aileron. Glassed using z-poxy & weighs 10.5 pounds ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92238.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	608386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74484.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	608387   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28350.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	608388  
Old 01-28-2007, 01:26 PM
CorsairJock

WOW, NICE JOB! It doesn't get much better than that!
You might want to post some pics in this thread as well:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50..._1/key_/tm.htm

I see that you are not too far from me, hope to meet you (AND your Corsair) at some warbird events this summer: CARDS (Grand Ledge), and Battle Creek Balsa Bees? E-mail or PM me if your club is hosting any events.
http://www.radiodrone.net/2007/wom/
Old 01-28-2007, 03:08 PM
hoonnz

Well done Alpinestar. My interest was immediately drawn to the great looking U/C doors - how about some close up pics of your mechanism there please?
Nice details of trim tabs and hatches as well, they add to the realism.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 PM
NCIS

alpinestar,

What engine do you have ib you Corsair? It looks great. Is that a Fiberglass Specialties cowling or the standard kit version? How about the oil coolers and radial engine, fiberglass or plastic? I am just inventorying the parts on my Corsair now and should start this week. I'll post pictures on my build thread on this forum as I go along.

Thanks for the answers in advance,

Gibbs
Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 PM
alpinestar

The engine is a saito 125, has the stock exhaust for now but might switch to a keleo or a straight pipe after maiden to get rid of the muffler hanging out. Plane balanced by using a home-made stainless steel spinner nut as nose weight, no other weight needed with the rec battery against the firewall. Thought about putting the pack in a box ahead of the firewall, but decided not to do that. The cowl is the standard one that comes with the kit; I did not join the cowl flap ring and the cowl together per the instructions or I'd never get the cowl over the engine or be able to reach the internal mounting bolts with the dummy engine installed. I slotted the ring section of the cowl to create the flaps & bent them out using a heat gun per prior posts in this thread. The dummy engine is the top-flite kit, and the oil coolers are what came with the kit. You have to remove a lot of the leading edge of the wing to make them fit right; don't worry about the removed material it's just a bit of work. Pay attention to when the interference is the recessed part of the oil cooler making contact with the wing as you need to relieve the die-cut opening in the LE a lot to make the coolers fit right. And be sure to sand/carve away the thickness of the plastic for a flush fit. They work just great. I also used the cockpit interior kit which really adds a lot of detail in short time & relatively low cost.

One thing I modified was the harware used on the tail control surfaces... I replaced the snap-on ball link/double rod connector thingy for the tailwheel tiller arm with a higher quality du-bro unit with a captive ball and more rigid threaded sections, and the final clevis for both the elevator and rudder were replaced with sullivan clevises with retaining clips instead of nylon clevises with fuel tubing keepers. You cannot access these areas ever again without serious surgury so make sure you're happy with it before the sheeting goes on!

I'll post some pics of the gear door mechanism as requested a few pics earlier.

Thanks everyone for your comments!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
alpinestar

Some other detail you may want to consider adding.. The step in the flap (had a spring-loaded cover on some corsair models) and the step in the fuse for the pilot to get into the plane. I learned about the flap step via this thread. I also made some plastic lenses for the wingtip lights by carefully cutting the completed wooden wingtip with a razor saw, mounting this little piece of balsa on a stick, adding 1/8 stock to the cut sides, and pushing into a peice of heat-gun heated clear plastic mounted in a frame. I used chrome monokote for a reflective surface & painted the ends of some cheap paintbrushes for the bulbs (christmas tree bulbs were too small & couldn't readily get some LED's).

Name:	Wt59013.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	608842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26364.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	608843   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28335.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	608844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41771.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	608845  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
scaleflyer61

Yes thats what i meant, front to back. Your right about the hinge line , it is just a tad aft. Thank you so much corsairjock for your help
you are a good man! now i can proceede without scratching my head so much!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:21 PM
alpinestar

For the gear doors, I first made the doors themselves by laying several layers of glass over the completely sheeted wings. then you have a fiberglass panel with the exact contour you need. I used polyester stinky resin for this since it seems to be stiffer. Be sure to let it cure long enough before peeling off the wing as it will take a set to a different shape if you remove it too early..... I hinged with Robart hinge points with the hinge pockets in the wing so the doors are removable. The mechanism is made from 1/16" music wire, with brass sheet tabs to connect the springs and the very short "connecting rods" (goldberg mini snap on one end, ball link on the other). The mini-snap end attaches to the mechanism bar, the ball link attaches to the control horn epoxied to the door itself. Springs are from a $2.00 assortment kit I found at TSC.

The strut door was a bit of a challenge as almost the entire leg of the sierra retracts rotate. There are also steps in the OD of legs at locations that mean a standard "strap around the leg" approach would have to slide over one of these transitions.... Didn't work too well so approach & 2 came into play. The very root of the retract leg does not rotate, so i made a brass collar & silver soldered a rod to it. The collar is epoxied to the non-rotating part of the leg, and a very short nylon tube mounted to the gear door slides along the rod to open/close the door and allow the movement necessary due to the distance between hinge lines of the retract & door.

Bigger corsairs seem to have retracts where a significant part of the gear leg does not rotate, making the mounting of this door a bit easier.

Name:	Lj24052.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	608855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70137.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	608856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33375.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	608857  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:34 PM
alpinestar

Don't sweat the ribbed outer panels of the wings... I was able to simply put stripe tape UNDER the fiberglass to make the ribs. Took a little finesse with the resin, but really nothing too terrible. Then I did the panel lines the usual way with chartpak tape & primer. I discovered the beauty of two-part automotive primer... Dries very fast, builds like crazy, does not shrink over time, and sands very easy even dry. Well worth the high "cabbage factor" over any other method I've tried. Just be careful of the fumes as this stuff can be killer.

Name:	Ca82318.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	608862  
Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 PM
hoonnz

Thanks for the pics of the gear doors, nice design and well thought out. I particularly the idea of the 'trigger' or actuator being a central lever rather than a wire right across the bay as in earlier designs I have seen (and tried).
Old 01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
NCIS

alpinestar,

I intend to follow in your foot steps on the landing gear doors. I have Century Jet retracts for the mains and the tail wheel. The Century Jet mains rotate 90 degrees. Do you think I'll have the same problem as yours that rotate 100 degrees. Here are a few pictures of them. Let me know what you think. I am just inventorying parts at this point so it will be a long time before I get that far. Let me know what TSC means. What store is it?

Thanks,

Gibbs

Name:	Lj22156.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	609326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25304.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	609327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64953.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	609328  
Old 01-29-2007, 07:17 PM
alpinestar

It looks like the CJM retracts have one smooth diameter for the length of the leg; I'd guess you'd be able to use a simple collar mounted to the strut door to slide along the leg & open/close the door.
The 90 degree retraction angle will put the gear, when lowered, closer to the CG than retracts with a 100 degree angle. You'll have to spend a good bit of time carefully locating your retract mounts so that the gear retracts into the wing far enough to be concealed by the doors, yet go forward enough to prevent nosing over. Try to get as far forward and low into (toward the top sheeting) as possible with the retract unit. Perhaps someone with these retracts installed can give some more first-hand advice. I really like how far forward the Sierra's go as I fly from a fairly rough grass field.
TSC is "Tractor Supply Company"; sorta like a Harbor Freight tools but not as much fun to wander around in.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 PM
SMUGator

We are in the early stages of designing and building our gear doors, and are doing it a little differently. I thought I would post the prototype that Chris and I came up with to give others ideas and get feedback. Everything is scratch-built including the hinges. The linkages are a little sloppy yet. We are still messing around with different ideas. These aren't the final doors - just some rough balsa prototypes to mess with alignment and activation. We are loving the fact that we can remove the whole bay and work on the fiddly bits independent of the wing. I think this assembly will always be removable in our build. Comments and ideas are welcome.

Tom

Name:	Ca82883.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	609740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89230.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	609741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40987.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	609742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34661.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	609743  
Old 01-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Spad_man
My Feedback: (8)

That is a very good Idea. I really like that it can be removed. Please keep the information coming, I love this stuff!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:56 AM
CorsairJock

Agreed: Making removeable door assemblies is a GREAT idea. If it were me: I would leave the assemblies off most of the time, and install them for events and/ or special occasions.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:54 AM
hoonnz

Smugator -
Thanks for those great clear pictures. Your design does what I felt was needed but couldn't figure out - it is driven by the motion of the U/C strut, not by contact with the wheel; and it will open quickly at the start of the U/C movement and then will close only when the wheel is almost right in. I think it is the best of the various designs I have tried and seen.
My own system worked OK but worried me because it was not positive and where the tyre came into contact with the mechanism it was actually badly gouged because the wheels are still spinning fast as they retract.
My only concern is that the ribs in the wheel bay have to be cut right back to flush with the main spar, but I guess the piece being cut out is not doing much structurally anyway.
So congratulations and I will pay you the ultimate compliment - imitation!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 AM
SMUGator

Thanks for the kind words. As I mentioned, we are still fine-tuning the linkages. We'll post updates if we get smarter. Hope others do as well. In most cases, innovation is thoughtful iteration and I'm happy to contribute as I've taken far more away than I have returned. One thing that may not be obvious is that we added an extra partial rib to frame the aft portion of the bay on the inboard side at the scale location. Took some fiddling to get this right. As you can see, we had to widen the bays a bit on that side to accomodate the hinge overlap.

Tom
Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 PM
NCIS

SMUgator,

I like it and am planing to do yours or alpinestars method. What does everyone think about how well each will work. Be nice and just tell me what you think the pros and cons are ofto both them.

Thanks for the help,

Gibbs
Old 02-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Kelsey_B

smugator and alpinestar,

Nice work on the doors. Its info like this that make this site so much more useful than the RC magazines.

Alpinestar,

You say the doors are removable. What do the Robart hinges plug into, and what holds them in place?

Keith
Old 02-01-2007, 07:46 PM
SMUGator

I think the pro's for Alpinestar's (And Dion's) methods are:
[ul][*] They are finished and proven to work[*] They can be made with over the counter parts - Not many scratchbuilt bits[*] Easy to adjust with the clevises on linkages
[/ul]
Old 02-02-2007, 05:27 PM
dbcooper14
My Feedback: (8)

I have been reading this thread and am amazed with the info I have found (and how little I knew). A few weeks ago I had resurrected a half finished T.F. corsair I started several years ago. When I had first started building the plane my goal was to make it more "scale". Well, after pondering the "inspired" mods I had made on the plane and reading truely well thought out, inspired mods on this thread, the best I can describe my previous work is "What the #@*% was I thinking!". It would be very embarrassing to show you pix of my "inspirations" let alone just telling you what I have done to this poor plane. Needless to say, I am getting a new kit and starting over.

One thing I did find after stumbling around other threads and websites, unless it is old news (I haven't read the entire thread), is a device that activates a servo to extend and contract the cowl flaps in relation to the temp. inside the cowl. The company also makes a few other control devices that are very interesting.

It's company is called Oregon Scale Aviation:

http://home.comcast.net/~rich2001/osa/

Again, I am AMAZED at what you guys are doing!!

Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 05:47 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

alpinestar,

very nice wing detail[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

do you have a build thread somewhere?

V.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.