Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What Warbird(s) did you buy at Toledo?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What Warbird(s) did you buy at Toledo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What Warbird(s) did you buy at Toledo?

First off, the absolute best deals (IMO) were at a place called Power-Line Hobby. The 1st plane that caught my eye was a small (about 30" span?) Sopwith Camel ARF. Not made of foam, like just about every other plane this size, but actual WOOD/ BUILT UP CONSTRUCTION. And it was just about completely assembled, INCUDING GUY WIRES, with a brusless motor install, ESC, and 4 servos for the unbelievably low prive of about $70. Heck the electronics are worth more than that. All that was needed was a battery pack and reciever.

But, I opted for a larger version of the Sopwith Camel, 38" span (but looks bigger), and like the smaller one: built up wood construction, brushless motor, ESC, and 4 servos installed, as well as the guy wires. A bit more for it tho: $130 if you bought it and it alone. BUT, every plane this dealer had (which BTW, included larger Fokker Tri-plane, Albatros, L-4, and a few other warbirds) had 2 prices them: Toledo show price, AND Toledo Price if you bought any 2 planes from same dealer. Thus, I got mine for $120 instead of regular show price of $130 becuase I also bough a trainer for a friend of mine (future warbird pilot). See web-link below:
http://www.powerlinehobbies.com/singleoutput.php?id=351

I also bought a micro (exactly 1 ounce with battery but with landing gear removed), RTF Spitfire from Hobby Lobby for $50. That has to be the other great deal at Toledo: several places were selling these (and the Mustangs) for $50. This is a COMPLETE RTF PACKAGE, with 2.4 GHz radio system installed (even cheapo transmitter). See link below for more info:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/micro_raf_spitfire_rtf.htm

And now, what I DIDN'T buy: a VERY nicely built Top Flite Corsair, in post WW II scheme (located in the swap area/ upstairs). The plane had Robart retracts installed, along with RoboStruts and even retractable tailwheel. No radio gear and no engine, but for $395 I was ready to buy. Problem: I didn't bring that much cash with me, and the seller would not accept a check. If anyone from the Kalamazoo area is planning on going Sat or Sunday, and would be willing to pick it up for me: let me know ASAP!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Warbird(s) did you buy at Toledo?

I was just loosely assembling a CMP Bf-109 that I picked up from Nitro Planes. Sure is nice to be able to avoid the shipping costs and inspect the package before you buy it.

I saw that Corsair you're talking about. I was a nice plane and a great deal too.

Aside from the planes, anyone going to Toledo has to make a stop at Packo's Cafe. That was probably the best hotdog I've ever had.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Joespeeder

Hey CorsairJock,

Powerlines Camel is really cool !! Here's a couple of threads on it. BE SURE to re glue the factory motor mount.... The hot glue on the mount will NOT hold. The rest of the plane is Great. Here's some reading on that plane. I love mine.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749694

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...werlinehobbies

Last year Powerline showed some pics of a 60inch WS Nieuport. Any hint of that one at their booth?

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 AM
alanc

CJ you went to a HUGE model show, with a swapmeet, and didnt go tooled up? shame on you
Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not go , I am in HongKong , so wifey picked me up a Airfield P40 from Nitro PLanes , (the larger one ) i let you know the QC when I get back to the states .

LOve the power line product , wish they had a larger AB its a great arf with incredible detail
Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 AM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought no planes this year. However, I did get a Robart retractable tail wheel, battery packs, switch harnesses, long servo leads and
y-harnesses for my Top-flite GS P-47.

Mike
Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Ken6PPC

I picked up the last FW-190 that KMP had. Decent price on it - $295! I love the way it looks...

Although I hated to pay the price for them, I also picked up a set of Sierra retracts made for this plane for $270. They looked like they were REALLY well made, and they are supposed to be a drop-in fit. Never had any Sierra retracts before...

I'm not planning to assemble this plane right away, but I will be working on a decision for a power plant. I'm leaning towards something like the DL-30, although I am mostly a glow fuel guy. I just feel more comfortable with glow, probably because I have much more experience with glow than gas. Plus, I think a 4S glow engine sounds SO much better than a 2 stroker gas does.

Any thoughts on the power plant?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: alanc
CJ you went to a HUGE model show, with a swapmeet, and didnt go tooled up? shame on you[img][/img]
Until yesterday, I was not aware of how un-popular checks have become. For that matter, it seems fewer vendors are accepting credit cards. I don't like to carry hundreds of dollars in cash, but it appears that I will have no choice in the future, IF I want to purchase costly items at the Toledo show (and presumedly: ALL swap meets).
It sure would have been nice, to be able to fly that Corsair at all the upcoming warbird events that I plan to attend this summer.

Joespeeder, Thanks for the links (to the Camel review and build thread), I'm sure they will come in handy.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

Not a warbird but a damn good buy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84790.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1415739  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ken6PPC

I picked up the last FW-190 that KMP had. Decent price on it - $295! I love the way it looks...

Although I hated to pay the price for them, I also picked up a set of Sierra retracts made for this plane for $270. They looked like they were REALLY well made, and they are supposed to be a drop-in fit. Never had any Sierra retracts before...

I'm not planning to assemble this plane right away, but I will be working on a decision for a power plant. I'm leaning towards something like the DL-30, although I am mostly a glow fuel guy. I just feel more comfortable with glow, probably because I have much more experience with glow than gas. Plus, I think a 4S glow engine sounds SO much better than a 2 stroker gas does.

Any thoughts on the power plant?
I obviously didn't go to Ohio but I did just get the FW190 I am going with the aerovate26 with the rear carb, I would be curious to see if the DL-30 fits in the cowl with the side mounted carb, jtec makes a pits style muffler http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/JTPITT30DL.html the cowl is pretty big, I would hate to need to cut it though
Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I did buy a rubber Jet at Toledo this year. Its the RCLander Panther, iteration #3. Bought it from Don Shulman, of Shulman Aviation, a really nice guy. It's a Foamie but its covered in some kind of hard skin so its smooth and pretty tough. Should be fun to fly until I can get my BVM F-80 built.

Oh Yea I also got some LED's (4) that flash. They are going to be mounted in the front guns.. They were only $20 and the guy makes them for you at the show. Might be fun huh.. lol
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Ken6PPC

Here's a link to some photos of the ESM FW-190 with a DLE fitted to it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9582106

Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ph but the top flite corsair is only sport scsle and not true to scale as the royal senior corsair is!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ken6PPC

Here's a link to some photos of the ESM FW-190 with a DLE fitted to it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9582106

forgot about those pics,looks like it would be a cleaner install with a pits style muffler,I know Jtec makes one, for the DLE-30