Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Hawker Typhoon ARF build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Hawker Typhoon ARF build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ESM Hawker Typhoon ARF build thread

well good news and bad news!1st the good,did flight #2,kept her on the ground longer on takeoff and rose like a hot air balloon(no flap)really rung her out with low high speed flybys(remember 50cc gasser) i'm estimating around 85-90 mph..impressive on a big 20lb plane some basic rolls and some inverted flight,found out u can really slow her down with no snap or stall traits,did 1 pass down the runway and cut my speed almost in half from what i had on the maiden,i'm guessing between 10-20-mph with full flap,had to fly the throttle all the way in to touch down with no bounceing..... now the bad! do yourself a favor and cycle the gear before takeoff,have someone help and hold the plane up and do a gear cycle,then if u want u can top the air tank off if u choose,i normaly do this all the time but for whatever reason did'nt for the 3rd flight,to make a long story short after rotation i hit the gear up and only 1 wheel went up the other was kinda stuck half way,so i figure i better put the gear down and nothing[X(] so i got 1 up and 1 half way teeter tottering....decisions decisions,well i try a couple of rolls while recycling the gear and still nothing,my spotter says try a hard high speed loop then cycle the gear as i'm coming out,so here we go get smoking strait and level and yanked on the ele. while simotaneously hit the gear switch and wha'la now i got 2 legs half way up or down,depends on how u look at it so now i know i'm screwed! well i start doing some practice runs on how slow i can get her for the dump into the grass decided to not use flaps to minimize damage,surprisingly she really slows down even with no flap,after the 2nd flyby i say this is the 1 and decided to kill the engine for damage control also, here she comes,lined up nice i kill the engine and wait,lower lower lower flair[X(]she sits down nice and no flip over,like a tail hook cept at the front of the plane......well damage was minimal 1 geardoor broke off 2 engine bolts sheared+small crack in bottom of cowl and bent my exhaust stack...could of been worst! so please cycle those gear before takeoff,after investigating the only thing i think went wrong was i did'nt have enough air in the tank,false reading on my pump gauge,cause everything worked after i tried it on the ground after the mishap
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
stevelesl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good tip on the gear cycling, I noticed my gear was pretty slow to operate even with a full charge, I used the Robart valve to try to get a more scale movement as it has the two needle valves which you can adjust. I will do a few cycles before flying though.
Great news on the way she flew though, sounds like if you get the build and ballance right it flys well.
Roll on the weekend .........
Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
stevelesl

Well, heres the story of my maiden weekend.............
By the way, I stated in an earlier post that the all up weight was about 16 - 17 lbs on my fish scales, these were way off, the plane weighed in at a touch under 19lbs, which from what I have read isnt too bad.
Saturday was to be the day, however, lined up for take off, brought up the power and as she rolled to start take off I didnt put enough rudder correction in and she went off to the left and nosed over bursting the prop, didnt have a spare with me [&o]

Sunday came along and with new prop installed and Expo removed from rudder to be ready to put a hand full of right rudder in for take off I was ready.
Everything was checked out, ran her up, taxied out, started take off run, looked great, straight down the runway, took off great, no trim required, climbed out good, turned left slowly, then during the turn, I apeared to have no aileron control, she rolled off and piled towars earth at great speed.
Good night Typhoon !!
I really dont know what happened, all I can say is that the plane flew perfectly untill this happened.
Total loss on plane, engine crank case cracked, carb damaged, spinner destroyed, both struts wtrecked but retracts survived []
Pretty expensive day for me but hey, if you are going to fly RC planes, you need to be able to take these days with the good ones.
I would buy another ESM plane, they are good value and great looking, mind you, I may have to wait a while to get the drive for another warbird.
Last pictures below.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48718.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	1459699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26986.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	1459700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56897.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	1459701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21402.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1459702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31364.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1459703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47468.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1459704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93270.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1459705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba91758.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1459706  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr20148.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1459707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co70959.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1459708  
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Paps

Sorry to hear that It always sux when these things happen. Is atleast the engine ok?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
stevelesl

No, the engine crank case and carb are damaged, I may be able to get a crank case for about $100 and can fix the carb damage.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
BASHER

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man!!! i hate when that happens!i have a heavy heart for u at this moment[]it always sucks to wreck a plane but it seems 10 times worst when its the maiden but i've been there done that!prior to the typhoon i had a h9 p-51 that on the 6th flight hit a tree on final,totaled the wing,all my fault......do u have any clue what could of happened after u did the autopsy? well i feel for u brother,hang in there and jump back on the saddle after a short mourning process.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
stevelesl

Yeah, it does suck.
I really dont know what it was, the damage was so great to the wings that any possible causes cant be seen.
One thing that keeps going through my mind is that with the plane having two sets of pull pull's, there is a lot of long cables inside the fuselage, I was a little concerned that i couldnt mount the receiver anywhere away from the cables, probably just a long shot but I have heard of some issues even with 2.4 where interferance was caused by wire push rods, pull pull's etc although I have had no issues with 2.4 and I have 7 receivers.

I guess I'll never know what it was.
Looking for my next project, perhaps a warbird, you never know, I would like to repair and use the Evolution 35 engine, it was really nice and appeared to pull the 19lbs very well (for about 15 seconds [X(])

Have fun guys and thanks for all the tips and comments during my build..............

Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 PM
cfv007
My Feedback: (5)

Oh my ... what a bummer. What prop were you using? You say you were in a slow left turn. Which way did she roll off? Further to the left or did it roll to the right? I was originally running a 20x6 Master Airscrew and it just didnt develope enough airspeed to be comfortable in the turns. It flew but I was totally on edge going around turns thinking I might stall the inside wing. Would that have happened it would have rolled off to the down (inside) wing and snapped into the ground. Maybe thats what happened with yours.

Regardless ... thats such a drag. Sorry to hear it.

Not to be a vulture or anything but I could use your axles out of the landing struts if they are not bent. I bent mine on a poor landing the other day to the point my tires are hitting the struts. I would be happy to purchase them from you if yours are not damaged. I could actually also use the main wheels too if you would like to part with them. Let me know.

Charles
Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 PM
stevelesl

It had plenty power and speed, I was using a 19 x 8 prop on the 35gt, when I said slow turn i meant slowly turning but at full throttle, it had a lot of air speed.
I'm afrain the axles were bent really bad in the crash too and I am going to keep the wheels as they are very nice

Old 07-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Ouch! I'm VERY bummed to read your post! I just found your posts while looking for info on the Evo 35. How did it run for you? Were you happy with its power? Thanks in advance for your answers, and sorry again on the maiden...
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM
stevelesl

The Evo 35gt was very good, it hand started on the second or third flip and had bags of power, pulled the 19lb Typhoon along very well.
I used a 19 x 8 prop which appears to be the benchmark for it.
I decided to repair it and ordered a new crank case, carb mount, gaskets and bearings, came to about $150, not too bad, however, if you ever try to strip tyhe engine you will have one heck of a job getting the cylinder barrel out, it is a press fit, doesnt slide out like most motors cylinders do, I had to cut the crankcase to remove it !!.
I will have to freeze the cylinder and heat the crank case to install the liner but it will be worth it to get a brand new motor again.
One tip, watch the plug cap, it can come off, the GT has thr small plug without the alloy retainer that the 26 and 35 standard engine have, I eneded up wiring the cap on to ensure it stayed there.
looking at the BH models giant Chipmunk for nex plane, it gets great reviews with a Zenoah 45 so the Evo 35GT will do it nicely as the Evo has the same if not more power than the Zenoah 45, better get the check book loaded
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM
cfv007
My Feedback: (5)

Steve,

I have flown the BH Chipmunk ... its a ***** cat and flies like a trainer. Very very relaxing plane to fly. Inversely proportional to the Typhoon!

Charles
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of videos of my ESM Hawker Typhoon.

It has a Zenoah G-38 in the nose pluss 0.5Kg of lead.

Propeller; 20x8 Menz

CG: 10.5 cm

I think it is a wonderfull machine. (Thank you ESM !)

Here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNPgH...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtH2NBnKy4o

Are you guys aware of that there is another ESM Typhoon thread here?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...m.htm#10018441
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM
LDM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve , just trying to help and prevent this in the future so some CSI work is needed .
1)did you have clip locks , tape ect on your servo connections in the wing ? Wondering if you pulled on them and they were not locked and came loose with final vibration on take off .
2)Never had 2.4 interferance regardless of 6 cables and carbon fiber rods running near the receiver (think you can eliminate that cause )
3)Please dont be insulted with this questiondid you do a range check and confirm you had ailerons ?
4)when you assembly your wings at the field , do you have an aileron connection out of your receiver to the aileron extension in the wing or dose the aileron connection run from the wing go directly into the receiver ?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

The tailwheel area on the fuse just screams for a retract! I just ordered mine and will probably make mine retract. Thanks for your build post.....its quite helpful.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Hellcat Ace

What's a 'Scottish national'? Isn't someonefrom Scotlanda citizen of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or does that only apply to that greatScottish patriot, Sean Connery - who lives in the Bahamas?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
kwik

ORIGINAL: vallawyer

Same as Kondor Model Products Typhoon, as far as I can tell. A buddy of mine had one of these. It took over five pounds of nose weight, I helped him make up a weight from lead shot and epoxy.
It was not a success, it spun in on the first flight. Looked good, but just did not fly well, and it sure seemed that the plane was not flown before it was sold.
Its the only Typhoon out there, though. If Easy Tiger makes one, I'd consider it, to me, the difference between them and the KMP is totally different as far as weight goes, the Easy Tiger ones maybe don't look as good, the paint is a little nicer on KMP planes, but they are much bigger and come out much lighter and fly so differently. The Focke Wolfe is the easiest warbird ever, and I am putting together the P47, from the video, the P47 looks even easier.
The KMP planes are like when we used to make the old Top Flite Red Box planes, then glass them, then put on Hobby Poxy paint, and retracts and flaps and everything, and they flew like bricks. But we had fun anyway.
We all know you just want to sell more E.T. planes, and that this is your approach.

But the ESM Typhoon is a fine warbird. So is the ESM 190, the ESM Corsair, the ESM P-40, the ESM 110,
the ESM P-47, the ESM P-51....those are the ones I have seen up close so far.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Scota4570

I have been eyeballing the ESM typhoon for a while. I have a BME 50 engine looking for a home. How significant is the tail heavy issue? I am not interested in buying any plane that requires adding pounds of lead to the nose. It is contrary to good aerodynamic principles.......IMHO.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scota4570
I am not interested in buying any plane that requires adding pounds of lead to the nose.
Then you will most likely want to stear clear of the ESM Typhoon. Mine had an Evolution 35cc up front and still needed 5-6 pounds of nose weight.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
alanc

ONCE upon a time, friend of mine bought the lightest tiffy you have ever seen from a swapmeet, power was to be a webra 91, it was 60 size, from an english plan, it needed oer 1.5lbs of lead on the front,
Ppoint i am making is ANY tiffy will need weight,the full size had a TON of engine, YT asked, with the design of this model, if modellors wanted a scalefront end, or stretch it, 100% said scale, well, this comes withpenalties, and thats nose weight, and it handles it well, that thick wing is its saviour,if youn want a tiff, and dont want to add weight, then forget it, this model was designed to handle the weight, it does it very well,
Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Alan,

I imagine Scota4570 probably does not buy a lot of warbirds!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 AM
alanc

well, there is a way to avoid weight in a warbirds front end, buy one of these shiny film covered horrors with a flat plate tail, seems to satisfy most
Old 06-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Scota4570

As a rule, I don't buy ARFS. I kit and scratch build. I bought one ARF once, it is a good airplane, no complaints.

ARFS.......They have been a boon to the hobby by allowing folks that can not, or choose not to, build their own participate. Building and ARF is an oxymoron, IMHO. Since they are aimed at sprot flyers I don't see the point of making all of them perfect scale. Do ARFs win scale competitions???? I don't know, I hope not though. Having a Chinese national make your airplane for you does not make one a scale modeler.

I am not a scale modeler. The attached photo is a BUSA 1/4 scale D7 I made. The paint is correct for the first three to see combat. No decals, all hand painted. I had to put 10# of lead in the nose it get it flyable. I now have a G38 in it with 7# of lead. That is not right. 1/3 of the weight is lead! If the nose were stretched 2" I bet the problem would go away and nobody would have to know unless you told them.

So, why not offer "stand off scale" version that balances properly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74533.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1772592  
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 AM
kwik

Scota4570, I suggest you read through this thread;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...23/key_/tm.htm

I had a G-38 in mine and added 300 g in the ring just behind the spinner. I had the batteries up front.

300 g is nothing to make a big fuzz about, me thinks.

That was the version with balsa elevators and rudder.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Scota4570

I think I'll avoid the Typhoon. It is pretty and a historically interesting aeroplane. Problem is tht is is apparently a flawed design as an RC model. This thread alone has three example of "Tiffy-bits" . I am not spending the consiterable investment for a poor flying plane that is very likley to end up a smoking hole. The P51 looks nice and has a longer nose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.