Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF vs. ESM 1/5 scale P-40

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
ESM
21.54%
TF
78.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

TF vs. ESM 1/5 scale P-40

Old 06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF vs. ESM 1/5 scale P-40

Ok here is my opinion on both the TFand ESMModels.

Top Flite:
1) Probably better quality sense its not made in China
2) Robart Retracts
3) No fiberglass fuse, and sheeted fuse and wing, so you can take the monokote off, fiberglass if you wanted to
4) Cheaper

ESMModel:
1) Made in China, havente had great experience with china models
2) Fiberglass fuselage, not solid sheeted like the top flite model, more flimsy than top flite
3) Not much to do for modifying if you wanted to

I would have to go with top flite if I was gonna purchase it, becuase Top Flite is all sheeted with wood, so I could tear the monokote off, fiberglass, and paint, and have a very nice airplane. I would also get the Robart gear, ESMlanding gears are junk, believe me.

Good Luck in the choosing!!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
jmohn

Response to LargeScale88:

Top Flite:
1) Probably better quality sense its not made in China - how do you know it's not also made in China?
2) Robart Retracts - my Robart 605s fit into the ESM P40. The rail is a little wider, but otherwise it’s fine. BTW my ESM gear are fine on the two other planes I have.
3) No fiberglass fuse, and sheeted fuse and wing, so you can take the monokote off, fiberglass if you wanted to – why would you want to glass the plane when you can get one already glassed?
4) Cheaper – true, but you still have to glass, sand, paint, sand, paint again, add decals and clear coat.

ESM Model:
1) Made in China, havente had great experience with china models – All my ESM and KMP planes have been great. Even my CMP Hellcat, P40 and Zero were fine for what I paid for them.
2) Fiberglass fuselage, not solid sheeted like the top flite model, more flimsy than top flite – again sand, sand, paint, sand, paint
3) Not much to do for modifying if you wanted to – you can do the same thing you will have to do with the TopFlite P40 to get it ready….real no difference in work if you want to customize it.

I would have to go with top flite if I was gonna purchase it, becuase Top Flite is all sheeted with wood, so I could tear the monokote off, fiberglass, and paint, and have a very nice airplane. I would also get the Robart gear, ESM landing gears are junk, believe me. – if you are going to tear everything off why not just start from sticks and do it the way you want from the start?

Jeff
Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
US185Damiani

The biggest differences in correctness are the Cowl on the ESMis about right, TFis off on the new one while the .60 size is pretty good, The tail feathers on the ESMare very good as is the canopy outline and the fuselage windows. .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fc90513.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1447137   Click image for larger version

Name:	zx71539.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1447138   Click image for larger version

Name:	bz78139.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1447139   Click image for larger version

Name:	nj25465.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1447140   Click image for larger version

Name:	hm23445.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	1447141  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM
affas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But which of them flies best? Here is my maiden flight for two days ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9dUoVK7ds
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Antoinebobrob

I would buy the top flite. I have the 60 sized and its a dream to fly. The quality is excellent and the monokote is really nice. I believe the 1/5th scale is just as good.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Well leaving the emotion of out the mix .(just the facts )
ESM = easy soaring models . Originally imported by Kondor Model Products KMP at about 35% higher cost . KMP claims that they dropped ESM due to quality control issues but the quality from ESM has never been better and as fact many ESM planes under the watchful eye /imported by KMP had minor issues (mostly scale but some more serious .

ESM uses a better quality fiberglass coming from China then its competition (CMP) . However because the fiberglass is not critically supported all thru the fuse you do get "tin canning" feel (I simply despise that on a model ) .Its that feeling that you can compress an area of the fuse and it will go in . My ESM Corsair is gorgeous , flat paint ect , but I dont like the feel of the fuse weak points . So its not "ready to go " depending on your modeling taste. I line mine in key points with fliteskin or light weight ply to get the feel of a real fiberglass and or build up fuse . I just completed this process on the Seafury .

As far as the ESM retracts the original ones are total junk unless you like to disassemble , reassemble your gear to seal and lube all areas for leaks . ESM has evolved into epower retracts and are now on generation three . The feedback on the new electric power gear is very very good but I am not sure if the epower is available on the P40 .

Lets talk about ESM and customer support , both TRoy Build and VQ (Thomas) are super to deal with , passionate about the hobby , and available to speak or email , so you cant rule them out .

As far as painted finish or finish period, lets review both models .THe esm line has flat painted finish , really well done , your not going to get the scale ribs ect showing in key areas but if you want a top gun model you need to uncover both models and rebuild the frames of the fabric portion of the planes .ESM wins hands down in flat paint finish .

As far as cowl my hats off to US185, I love the Top Flight P40 , but could not quite put my hand on the cowl and why it was off , and he nailed it .I have a 79" EPO from LX models and the cowl is more accurate then then TF .

Some more general notes -at the field the esm P40 has easy access to the interior without removing the wings because the cockpit is a deck style set up, and its removable to the inside support equipment . Top flight you would have to remove the wings for the same access area .

Covering -as we all know the flat base monocote is the most difficult of monocote to work with if your building a model .Its great stuff , easily repairable but temperamental to the type of heat and wrinkles . Many have reported in the new Flat covered TF corsair that it arrives wrinkled , yes easily fixable but its parts of the constant maintenance so if you add more details to the covering it can be distorted over time with heat . MY ESM covering on my corsair is a one a done and has lasted very very well in dead on sun on a dark blue surface .
All of this being for me it comes down to wing loading and what is the better flying model when equipped in the same range of power .
This is where the feedback is all "Top Flight" , if you google both , the flight reports on the TF are far more abundant then the esm , but regardless of the numbers reporting , I don't think I have read one bad report of the TF P40 .

Top Flight (quietly) did one very critical thing in designing these P40ties (both sizes) . They got the washout correct unlike the dreaded Gold Edition P40 Kit that was a super handful to fly .
So my vote on flying is TF , my vote on scale appearance is ESM , not saying esm is bad , I know two people that have the plane and love it , but I see more top flight actual successes then the esm .
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 AM
LDM

Sorry , one last point , China , there both made in China . Again just as a fact , Great Planes, Horizon, Hobby Lobby , Hobby People , Troy Build , VQ , there all the same in general makeup . The difference in the big two "Great Planes /Horizon is that they develop there own brands to be imported .There big enough to establish MOQs with the China factories to get exclusive distribution .
Hobby People try's this with there "Blackhorse"line but that is also imported by others .
Unfortunately outside of the support parts like Dubro and many other great American companies , both GP and Horizon are nothing more then very large importer/distributors .
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay... hip me to the lingo. What is "MOQs"?

Oriole
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
LDM

Sure Minimum Order Quantity , the MOQ is what separates the big guys from the want a bees . Example , lets say you have the money , you go to China and you want to get a nice line of RC planes .
You contract with a factory to make some planes . They may say " Sir the MOQ per run is one container 45 ft High Cube .
They will calculate how many in a container based on the estimate cube of your boxed arf .
Some factories may require production runs to be all one plane , others may assort based on (first order or reorder ) .
Remember MOQ is minimum order , so that is not even the "best price " those that can order more then the MOQ , reorder , and continually order demand the best price from there factories while maintaining quality .
In some cases distributors in the USA will split orders as (supposedly reported on VQ+ Troy Build Models) so they can share in the order .
This is why some distributors get a bad rap on shipping , they attempt to sell a container to the RC community and say " 2/15/13 is expected arrival , when in reality they wont even order until they know they have 75% of the container sold because they dont want the risk of planes sitting in there warehouse that are not committed to
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having really nothing but 40's in my hangar I vote for the topflite. Very easy to fly and easier to land than my Skyshark.