Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM
nudger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Good flying both kwik and stoat,nice to see how well they both fly.Still havnt flown mine since last year,weather not been good but getting better.What do you think of your new rcexl ignition unit Kwik,and by the looks of your flying the engine is giving plenty of power.

Cheers Nudge
Old 03-18-2012, 12:14 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr_Grump

Nice flight kwik. Kongsberg.... my company Raytheon is doing business with KDA there. I have to admit, all that ice makes a southern country boy shiver
Yes, I know Raytheon, Mr. Grump ! I work in the Maritime part of Kongsberg nowadays, though.

Shiver? Heck, it was so hot I almost had to throw away my Luftwaffe flying jacket, and fly in just my T-shirt.

Like here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtaTK...9&feature=plcp

haha!

But seriously, I must admit that there are days that I envy you guys living in warmer areas on this planet.

Nudger, the RcExl unit performs flawlessy, and I now get 6400 rpm max on a Menz standard 22x10.

Not bad, I think. You could see it on the RcExl LED tacho in the cowling, I hope. And, it is very rewarding when an engine
starts on the first flip.....

A very happy Corsair-day !

Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 PM
FlyNick

Very nice flight Stoat!

I would like to know how it flies with the DLE 111cc?

How it re-acted with 100% throttle of the DLE 111cc?

Did you have to add any weights using the DLE 111cc?

Also, where did you get the hinges for the tail wheel doors?

Until now I am using the Robart metal hinges but I like the ones you used better.

Nick
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 AM
stoat

Flynick, thanks. Yes the 111 goes very well. I expect it flys the same as all the other Corsairs on here. Very positive and stable but still nicely aerobatic. Until I open the throttle and then it makes the most amazing noise! The prop barks very loudly and it will go up forever! I can get the prop noise to bounce off the mountain we fly close to. Has been heard almost 10 km away! So I have ordered a 26x12 3 blade prop for it for flying at home. Will still use the 2 blade prop for airshows...

The hinges are from Hobbyking. Very cheap but well made. They stock several types. I have cut the lugs off these ones.

I have ended up adding 300g to the ring in the front of the cowling. It is slightly nose heavy with this but that will go away once the cockpit and pilot are in.

Some more pics...

Some great shots taken by a friend of mine.

Next up main gear doors...*groan*
Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 AM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gear doors...groan. I agree. Just spent the last week on mine and still am not finished but geting close. Decided to use a servo for each side since I have the "down and locked" sequencer
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Magnum RC

Greetings Mr. Stoat,

I have been viewing your progress with great interest. I own one of these as well with a Saito 450 radial in it. I have yet to do the gear doors and strut covers, I was most interested in trying to copy what you did on the strut covers and would you be kind enough to offer the length of the carbon fiber strut cover attachments you made? I think I would like to employ your design here if it is alright with you... Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 AM
stoat

Magnum, no problem. I copied my design from Nudger on page 21 (thanks Nudge!) The length from center to center is 25mm on the carbon arm. The hole on the gear leg is 10mm back from the pivot. Then all you have to do is figure out where the angle bracket attaches to the door. I set mine up with the wheel folded away and the brackets packed so they were in the right position and then put a drop of CA on each and then folded the door back into place so it was sitting on the correct place. Its a fiddley job! The first one went on easily. The second one took 5 attempts! Had to keep poping the bracket off the door and trying again. So make sure you only use a very small drop of thick CA untill you are happy with it.
I used soft balsa for the back of the doors to keep them in shape. Works very well and looks sort of scale...

Yep, I will be using good old HXT900 servos for each door. At $2.50 each its easier and cheaper than linkages etc and these servos seem to be of a reasonable standard. Hell, its the only cheap servo I use! As for a sequencer, I dont have one (untill my DX18 arrives...) so I cheat and use the servo speed on my transmitter. Mix gear channel to the door channel then run a 3 second servo speed on the doors when they are closing and a 3 second speed on the gear when they are opening. This way the gear has time to retract all the way into the wing before the doors close but dont start coming out of the wing for about 1.5 seconds when you flick the gear switch giving the doors heaps of time to open out of the way. Sounds complicated but really very easy to do.

I'm going to have to copy Nudger and grind off the back of my gear legs at the wheel hub to get the doors to close. Trying to use the kit doors so will see how that all goes tonight..... may require the liberall aplication of cider to make it work...
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
nudger

Excellent flying pics stoat,just need a corsair driver and it will the dogs danglies

I tried using the original doors but could not get them to conform to the legs,in the end layed up fiberglass and resin..much better.
Nice work on the strut covers and fuel filler hatchIve got to admit your work is so neat and spot on...I like it

Cheers Nudge
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
kwik

I have the same problem with the doors. The want to bend the wrong way...[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

+1 on Nudgers comments about your build, Stoat!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM
stoat

Nudge, our Mr Bowman is on stand by for flying duty as we speak. Just have to finish off his office so hes got somewhere to park his bum...

Yep, my gear doors bend the wrong way too. However the application of my hot air gun has fixed that. Lucky they are made from epoxy not polyester! Will do some serious work on them to get them to fit, but may end up having to fabricate new doors like Nudge.[:@]

Still not happy with the strut covers. Will fill in the gaps with some styrene sheet so they are nice and snug. The whole airframe will be repainted to the kiwi scheme anyway so will be going nuts with the filler. Will add panel lines to the wings too... Hoping to mod it to a F4U-5 so the cowling scoops will hide the plug caps and there wont be any fabric panels on the wings - full metal skin.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Magnum RC

ORIGINAL: stoat

Magnum, no problem. I copied my design from Nudger on page 21 (thanks Nudge!) The length from center to center is 25mm on the carbon arm. The hole on the gear leg is 10mm back from the pivot. Then all you have to do is figure out where the angle bracket attaches to the door. I set mine up with the wheel folded away and the brackets packed so they were in the right position and then put a drop of CA on each and then folded the door back into place so it was sitting on the correct place. Its a fiddley job! The first one went on easily. The second one took 5 attempts! Had to keep poping the bracket off the door and trying again. So make sure you only use a very small drop of thick CA untill you are happy with it.
I used soft balsa for the back of the doors to keep them in shape. Works very well and looks sort of scale...

Yep, I will be using good old HXT900 servos for each door. At $2.50 each its easier and cheaper than linkages etc and these servos seem to be of a reasonable standard. Hell, its the only cheap servo I use! As for a sequencer, I dont have one (untill my DX18 arrives...) so I cheat and use the servo speed on my transmitter. Mix gear channel to the door channel then run a 3 second servo speed on the doors when they are closing and a 3 second speed on the gear when they are opening. This way the gear has time to retract all the way into the wing before the doors close but dont start coming out of the wing for about 1.5 seconds when you flick the gear switch giving the doors heaps of time to open out of the way. Sounds complicated but really very easy to do.

I'm going to have to copy Nudger and grind off the back of my gear legs at the wheel hub to get the doors to close. Trying to use the kit doors so will see how that all goes tonight..... may require the liberall aplication of cider to make it work...
Thank you so much, this is helpful stoat and Nudger... You guys have put a lot of time on these birds. Perhaps I can help any of you looking for a sequencer. I have one that is designed for electric retracts but they have a gear door sequencer built in, I will be using one for my bird. You don't necessarily have to have electric retracts either. Link to get one below.. Made by Wike RC....

http://magnumrc.com/lado-electric-re...tor-p-220.html

Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
FlyNick

Thanks stoat for the information.

I have a 12X and I am disappointed that did not have any delays building in. I use the EMS Gear & Door Sequencer for mine and works great (see previous post with YouTube link).

I think I will get a DLE 111cc instead of putting lead for proper CG; I would love to hear the noise coming out of the prop!!!

Eventually I will have to make new front gear covers (in front of the wheel struts) because the ones it came with plane have some huge gaps but will do for now and 1st flights.

Nice pilot btw

Nick
Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 PM
FlyNick

stoat,

btew what size 2 blade prop you used with the DLE 111cc?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 AM
stoat

Nick, I am using a 27x10 carbon prop. Will try a 26x12 3 blader next. Will probably kill the noise but look better on the ground.

More pics. Bleedin gear doors! Nudge had the right idea - make yer own! I am crap at working with fiberglass so have used the kit ones. Not sure it was quicker or easier...

Heated till they were too hot to touch then taped on over night to get the basic shape.

Not too bad...

Time for some strength so they will hold their shape. I love my profile guage! Makes this type of job way easier!

Hinging - not what I had planed. Wanted off set hinges. No room so piano type will do...

Some servos and.........

Taa daaaarrr! Better than nothing but still requires some tweeking. Will fly it a few times first to make sure everything is strong enough before I spend another 20 hours on them.

Now I just have to do the other side [:'(] Next time I do a Stuka!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 AM
nudger

Not a bad result stoat with the bracing, should hold them in shape ok.I didn't have room to do that due to the fatter Roberts.Definitly worth doing for the look.

Cheers nudge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51895.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1742470  
Old 03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
mmflytie

I would love to see how you attached the pull tab and linkage rod to ??? Can;'t see from the photo. This is where I am stuck and I put a servo at the rear of the well . Have a sequencer from down and locked and for some reason have burned up 3 servos

Marc
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
kwik

Ask down and locked if they have overload protection....against too much amperes....
Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM
higharc

ORIGINAL: mmflytie

I would love to see how you attached the pull tab and linkage rod to ??? Can;'t see from the photo. This is where I am stuck and I put a servo at the rear of the well . Have a sequencer from down and locked and for some reason have burned up 3 servos

Marc
Have you tried Futaba servos with the D&L sequencer? I talked with Ron and he suggested to use Futaba servos.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:51 PM
stoat

Will post a detailed pic tonight. I have seen many guys burn out servos on retract valves and doors. I always try to set up the servos so full travel (+100 to -100) gives you full mechanical travel. That way the servo doesnt load if you have the endpoints adjusted wrong. I deally the servo must un-load when the doors are closed. The other trick is to have sloppy linkages or a bit of "give" in the system. Or use a retract servo for the doors like I did in the Tigercat (not an option here due to lack of space).

Still, if it was easy, everyone would do it....
Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
stoat

AARRRGGHHH! One of the door servos runs backwards from the rest. Dammmit. Had to fit it twice so now its at a funny angle with a complicated pushrod. Works tho so will leave it be. Misses the tire by a gnats bollock, but it misses so good enuf!

Marc, some pickies as promised...

Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 AM
mmflytie

Thanks for the photos.. It is very hepful. I tried using only one servo in the back center. maybe thats why I am burning them up. If either link is off it puts stress on servo. May have to go with two. What were the gm ratings on yours that you used. I'm driving them with 6.0V since I have a sequencer from Smart fly.

Thanks
MArc
Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 AM
stoat

Marc,
they are 1.6 kg servos. Rated for 6 volts as I always use un-regulated lifepo4 batteries in all my aircraft. I have used these servos before but not for doors so fingers crossed. However at $2.80 each if I burn out or break the odd one its no biggie. Tend to buy 10 at a time anyway.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

Was gawping at some pics of the full size last night and have decided to do some scale detailing inside the gear bays. Will fill in the door framework with blue foam and add some hydraulic lines etc. Need to get the cockpit sorted for this weekend. The model is on display at a full size air show. Never enough time....
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
mmflytie

Do yours buzz even when open or shut or do they make full travel and stop buzzing. Im using 3.4 @6V and I still get humm. Cant make it go away . If I adjust linkage so it goes away at closure, the hum is back at opening because now I either made it too short or too long,. I have an EPA programmer module and can get the buzz to go away sometimes but after each sequence , need to readjust endpoint with programmer. Thats no good and I'm afraid these mini servos seeing 6V dont take long with buzzing to get hot and melt the board inside. Been thru 3 since yesterday. Have two new ones today but am afraid to leave them buzzing for more than a few seconds. To be honest I about ready to toss the whole "sequenced servo gear door" idea.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
FlyNick

The doors are nicely done stoat. I think I over-engineered mine with ball links, programmed servos and the sequencer....
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
stoat

Marc, yes you have to get the servos set up so they dont buzz. It took me about an hour per servo to get the linkages just right. Make sure the doors themselves dont have any friction or tight spots especially just before they shut. I find I adjust mine to close fully without buzzing and then when they are open they are just free to hang. I dont have any stops when the doors are open. The hinges are setup so the doors can open almost 180 deg. This stops them binding when open. Another option I have used is to have the servo arm rotate so when the doors are closed the arm is in line with the pushrod - sort of like how you would set up a mechanical retract. This means when the doors are closed the arm can go slightly over center and un-load. The problem with this system is you will need a very long arm as the servo only rotates 120 deg not 180 deg so you loose a lot of throw. This is where either retract servos or more expensive programable servos work better (Hyperion servos can be programed to rotate 170 deg).

Either way its a painful process. Some guys use Air rams to operate the doors as they will pull the doors shut against a stop better and dont care if they are stalled. Far more expensive to buy but easier to set up. Prone to leaks. Ya caint win![:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.