Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

HE-162 Group Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

HE-162 Group Build

Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 AM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HE-162 Group Build

So im looking for some advice? I've got some plans for a 1/5 scale HE-162 and am thinking about starting a scratch build.
Does anyone have any advice or comments on this build. Any problems or concerns I should know about. It is the same size
as the Century Jet HE-162. Im not sure what powerplant I will go with yet, Would like a turbine but cost will be an issue.
The plans call for 1/16 plywood sheeting but I think Im going to give FliteSkin a try for the wing sheeting. One main concern I have
is I would like the tail control surfaces to be hidden but not quite sure how to accomplish that? This will be my first jet, previously I have
just flown prop warbirds. Ive heard ground handling is a problem with this plane but in the air it flys great.
Im hoping those that have built this plane will post pics and comments and ideas,
Thanks,
Curt
The following users liked this post:
MartyMar (08-18-2021)
Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HE-162 Group Build

look up Leo Spychella , I think he did a build thread o the century jet kit
Old 07-07-2010, 05:51 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dvs1

I have been looking at those plans recently and am thinking more and more about them. I have a wren54 and also a converted byron fan(to electric) so i have two powerplants to choose from.

What do you think of the plans? I have seen two different set's on ebay a 47" span set and a 57" span. which ones did you end up getting?

Found this website only last night!

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/He162uk.html

Thanks

dave
Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built the CJ He-162. I changed the gear to a more scale like stance and it caused handling problems. I used a BVM 96 to power it but did not have a good inlet. The jet came in heavy so I rebuilt the tail section to save 14 ounces. You can hide the tail control horns by using three bell cranks and pull-pull for the rudders. The elev is no problem. It is not a model I can recommend and not a first jet I can recommend. Mine flew a few times then I changed to electric which I think is best for this model. A turbine will burn the tail off it you are not real careful. It is a very interesting jet but I will not ever do another. I also had the little FSK He-162 for a short time. A child stepped on it and then I lost it to the trees. IMHO there are many better choices for jets.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand corrected, it was Carl who had the 162. Sorry Carl
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
dvs1

Dave, My plans are for the 57 inch 1/5 scale, they are German plans. They dont give that much in the area of instructions, but all the dimensions are there for the size and material constrution for the formers and the basics for someone who has built a few planes. Im not an expert by any means but I think I can make them work.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
dvs1

Carl, thanks for giving me your honest opinion.
I know this is definately not the best jet to chose, nor is it the easiest to build.
I have always liked the strange outline of it and Im more into WWII fighters so its perfect to go with all my other 1/5 scale WWII birds.
I guess I should be up for a challenge though.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I also had the plans from VHT. I don't see the build as hard or even complex just different. Keep the tail as light as possible. Bf-109 retracts should work as that is what the real one used. Still I can not recommend it. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
dvs1

Carl, I remember reading your build a few years ago and funny enough your build is what really lit a spark with me wanting to have my own. I also remember you running into a lot of problems with it, but I thought you used a Century Jet kit? I remember you did quite a few mods with the gear and tail being your biggest obstacle. You know if you dont like yours and you still have it you could sell it to me and save me a lot of trouble!

I'll read over your build again to refresh my memory
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
ticketec

Ok Dvs1, I hate to do this because i really wanted to get it myself, but shipping to Oz is a major drama.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168841

He's selling the almost completed model with retracts for the price of the airframe alone.

Thanks

dave
Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 AM
dvs1

Dave, Unfortunatly that one sold in March, at least Im pretty sure.

But on a side note, Hows that bashed FW-190 treating you? I still think you did an awesome job on that plane!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

A good He 162 is hard to find.

the CJM 162 is typical CJM... its just not quite right, and you best build it damn near pefectly and power it well else it won't be flying long, if at all. I know three people who have purchased the CJM 162, one took a look at the kit and sold it two days after he got it, the two others built the 162, one flew it in primer and sold it before finishing it, he wasn't happy with the way it flew, nor was he happy with the retract design. The other one completed the plane in Yellow 11 colors, flew it twice on turbine and had LOTS of power issues. His was the 162 designed for turbine, and had lots of balance issues with the bird. On the 2nd flight it stalled during landing and was a total loss.

I have the OLD Midwest 162 (deisgned by Nick Ziroli) and have flown it twice on a smaller EDF. Its nice, but far from scale.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
dvs1

So basically what im hearing is if I build it and want to keep it long don't fly it! Im not really hearing much positive feedback on this bird.

I may have to rethink this and break out my plans for my Anderson TA-152 114"
Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM
LA7flier
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dvs1

So basically what im hearing is if I build it and want to keep it long don't fly it! Im not really hearing much positive feedback on this bird.

I may have to rethink this and break out my plans for my Anderson TA-152 114''
This is not really too surprising since the full scale plane had a bunch of handling troubles and killed a couple of it's test pilots. After all, it was designed and built in about 45 days! If it were me and I really wanted to do this bird, I would scale it up. Build it big and the Reynold's numbers impact start to resemble how the full size plane flew. Although a cool looking and unique model, sometimes there is a reason why you see so few...for my money, I like the Me 163 (with a turbine) way better and they do tend to fly...best of luck
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

If you are still interested in building a CJM He-162, I have a NIB deluxe kit with retracts that I might be willing to part with.

Carl, what EDF did you eventually put in yours?

Thanks!

Paul
Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Carl had the BVM Viojet in it, either with the 91 or 96 don't remember which, on the couple of flights it made. He replaced it with a stumax fan but it never flew. He had a ground handling issue and ripped the tail off.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: lrb75

Carl had the BVM Viojet in it, either with the 91 or 96 don't remember which, on the couple of flights it made. He replaced it with a stumax fan but it never flew. He had a ground handling issue and ripped the tail off.
Bummer... The StuMax fans are very cool! I would have loved to hear how the He-162 would have flown under EDF as compared to the VioFan. My plan was to put an eDynamax in mine, but with the number of kits in my queue, I have decided to list the He-162 kit here on RCU. If anyone is interested, it is here -> http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=652536

Thanks!

Paul
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 AM
lrb75

I have a dynamax EDF conversion ready to go into my HE-162. Hope to fly it this summer.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: dvs1

Dave, Unfortunatly that one sold in March, at least Im pretty sure.

But on a side note, Hows that bashed FW-190 treating you? I still think you did an awesome job on that plane!

Thanks mate!!!

She was a beautiful flying model! The only dead stick i had with her was low, fast and heading cross wind. got her on the ground ok but mighty hot. The L/H gear leg found some long grass and the l/h disintegrated The only mark to the fuse was a small tear in the rudder fabric covering. I have posted pic's of the damge on the thread and after much consideration I think i can repair the exsisting wing I'm just about to post some pic's of the wing in "traction". and i hope to have a better idea if i will be able to acheive a soild repair soon.

Getting back to the He-162, I really reckon that you should build the plans you have. Mainly because I would love to see a build thread so i can follow in it's foot steps later down the track

Thanks

dave
Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Bruce Sanders

I have built several He-162 aircraft and I find it almost impossible to screw up the building of the plane. The plane has flown at Kentucky Jets 2009 and the big rally at Dayton. We have no gyro on the plane. The plane has flown with a ducted fan and turbine (see attached photos) and the first EDF kit was just sent out. We have never experienced any issues with a turbine and the tail section. I would be the first to tell you that you do have to use common sense and protect the tell section during engine start.

If you have bought a kit within the last two years you will have found a much lighter plane. In fact, we just released our new Hawker Hunter kit and the Hawker fuselage weighed only 1.25 pounds.

Handling Characteristics: This same kit was flown in formation using 4 He-162s in Germany many years ago. I have a photo of the 4 jets on the ground. Speaking from experience, I had not flown an RC aircraft in 6 years and took control of the plane when airborne and found it easy to fly in all maneuvers.

Like any narrow wheel based aircraft, ground handling can become an issue if you are taking off or landing in a cross wind. That issue has nothing to do with this kit but the fact it is a narrow wheel based aircraft.

I think someone mentioned the intake design. There is no intake. With any engine and especially this plane where the engine is fully exposed, keep your hands away from the intake area.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46093.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1465379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26279.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1465380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85390.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1465381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72665.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1465382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50678.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1465383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Br11559.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1465384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg78334.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1465385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw76416.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1465386  

Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
alanc

third pic from right,  some great jets,  but how did the little T28 get in there?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Bruce Sanders

Look at the photo with all the aircraft. You will see CJM Mig-15 Turbine, F-15 turbine, F-104 turbine, and He-162 Turbine. Just found out Keith Yates is ripping the sky apart with the F-22 and heard the Hawker Hunter was awesome via the threads on RCU about Kentucky Jets 2010.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 AM
ticketec

The He-162 has got a lot of ali tape around the tail feathers to protect it from the heat.... Are the fuses made with polyester or epoxy?

Thanks

dave
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 AM
Bruce Sanders

This He-162 flew at Turbine America I as a ducted fan and Turbine America II as a turbine. Unfortunately at Turbine America II, we installed a Turbomin turbine and the takeoff was aborted and the plane wound up in the field upside down. The next appearance of the He-162 was with a Mercury installed and now a RAM 750+. By the way, the aircraft that did the high speed abort is the same plane in the pictures. The plane wound up upside down in a field and the only damage was to a vertical stab that broke loose. I have never heard of a tail breaking off until I read it in this forum. I don't see how the tail could have come off if properly prepared with sandpaper, wiped clean with Acetone, and the modeler use 60 minute epoxy. If the modeler called and told me, I would believe it, otherwise, it is just hear say!

On one thread, it mention power, intake, and stall issues. Since there is no intake per se, I can't image a power issue other than the modeler used too small of a turbine or there was an installation problem/turbine/battery/fuel issues by the modeler (RAM 500, not charged battery, crimped battery, for example). We flew the He-162 with a Mercury (18 pound air start) and had no issues. As a ducted fan, we blew a glow plug on down wind and 43 seconds later the plane landed on the intended runway in Lexington, Ky. This is factual as this event is on flying video that we send out. Last, "the He-162.... stalled on landing"? If you stall this plane on landing, the pilot let the plane get too slow. This plane has a huge wing with Horner wing tips. Some 40+ years after WW-II, the American airline industry adapted the He-162 wing tips and now, you can find them on almost every commercial aircraft.

Cheers,
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM
lrb75

Bruce no fault of the kit or builder that the tail came off. Carl powered up the plane and it went uncommanded to full power and hit a fence post removing the tail from the plane. Oops. Hence the "ground handling incident"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.