Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Lancaster Maiden

Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lancaster Maiden

Flew Lancaster in unfinished condition this Saturday. Will now finish her out. Posted main thread in Twins section.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69773.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	1470014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78793.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1470015  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Prop_Wash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lancaster Maiden

Congrads! How did it fly?

Prop_wash
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM
dmyers0403

She flew very good, just a big slow plane, but looks very scale in the air. Requires coordinated rudder turns with ailerons (Must). I estimated CG and she was tail heavy but set up nice on final with full flaps and never wagged a wing or dropped a tail, very solid. She does pull hard right on take off and landing and could not be corrected. Servo on tail wheel is overpowered and could not control plane before we had good rudder effect, will need much stronger servo. I should have known that one. I expected a harder left pull with the four engines but she went right!!!??? I will check thrust lines again. Original stabs are not to my satisfaction, they have some twist in glass work and are not true, so I will rebuild them in off season but wanted to see what she would do as is.
One interesting note is that the right landing gear by Century did not properly lock on landing and started to collapse but Howard (pilot) just lifted wing with aileron and she popped down and locked, so ailerons were very effective even at lower ground speed
Thanks for interest.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
smurfjet
My Feedback: (40)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dick,

Nice to see you finally got the Lanc in the air and it looks like it was a big success. Once you get some color on it, she is going to be a show stopper. As for the rest of the motley looking guys in the picture I'm afraid there's no hope. See you guys in a few weeks. Drive safe.

Dave
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
ARUP

Neat! Great job in pilotage with gear malfunction/ correction- very cool, level head!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM
dmyers0403

Thanks DaveI will throw a quick paint job and try to get Lancaster ready for Owatonna. Howard and I talked the other day and try and fit it in trailer, of course Howy will be the pilotNo fancy details, rivets and panel etc. just enough paint and decals to call it good, will get detailing done over the winter
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Canuck1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple flight of my smaller Lancaster on the weekend.

Is yours a Conachen Kit

Craig

Name:	Wu59624.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	674.6 KB
ID:	1490211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44534.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	1490212  
Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
mike early

One is able to adjust the century jet retract by dismantling it and turning the brass bar a couple of turns.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
dmyers0403

Yes it is a Conachen Kit, very poor kit and heavy.

Name:	ig13555.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1490466  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: dmyers0403

Yes it is a Conachen Kit, very poor kit and heavy.

Ain't that the truth! I'm working with a group of guys that were going to build a Conachen Lanc but in the end decided to throw out everything but the CJM retracts and start from scratch. They have molded a new fuselage and I'm just about finished with the design for the new wing and nacells. What was the finished weight of the Conachen bird if I may ask? Also, are you using the CJM retracts and, if so, what is your assesment of them? Thanks!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
dmyers0403

Weight is about 54lbs. I choose the non scale CJ units with the single cylinder. The units are OK but need stronger cylinders or the second cylinder for a stronger or more positive action, they just barley pull up. I added a second large air tank for more volume and that helped. It would be great to have a more scale gear, especially with the leg brace as a functional part of mechanism as the legs are very long with little support and can twist.
The rudder post are terribly out of align on his kit and I will redo them in the off season. However, all said, it still made for a good looking aircraft, flying is decent and it has good presence in the air. Looks great on landings with full flaps and long gear legs. I added the flaps and they are really needed on this heavy monster, would not want to land without them.
It would be great to have a quality kit available.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM
tevans55

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chad-
Send Bruce at CJM your specifications for your retracts and he will make you the proper retracts. I have done this with 3 planes and have hundreds of problem free flights on all three prototypes. There is no extra cost for doing this and on one of my sets the cost was a little less than when the retracts went into production.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info dmyers, much appreciated. Our retracts have the dual air cylinders but I'm still a bit concerned that they have no up lock. I guess if they fly it scale and don't pull too many g's it won't be a problem.

Tevans55, the nacelles have been designed specifically around the CJM units as they come for the Conachen kit. They are not perfect in terms of scale but should be close enough for our purposes.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 PM
dmyers0403

Thanks for the interest Chad, I have seen your work on previous post/projects and you are very good. Wish you the best. Keep us posted on your Lancaster work and progress.