Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Spitfire 90

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kyosho Spitfire 90

Old 09-04-2010, 04:29 AM
paul cov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Spitfire 90

Postie will be knocking door shortly with my brand new Kyosho spit 90, (excited!), have read several threads on this bird and all seem positive, with just one or two" axe grinders", this will be my third kyosho and find them excellent vfm, im thinking about putting a sc120fs up front as my local hobby shop has deal going on at moment that i cant resist, what i need to know is how does this bird fly with this engine, i know its slightly under powered but not to bothered about that also could you recommend break in prop and flight prop, not interested in pylon racing a Warbird tend to go more for scale + stable flight, your info will be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 AM
mk1spitfire

Default RE: Kyosho Spitfire 90

It really is a great flying plane.!!

Im sure that 120 will fly her with authority and the draggy airframe will not let her act like a pylon racer.

Only tip, is like with all artf's is to ensure that the front box, that sits in firewall is secure, as often lack of glue is applied during factory build. This applies to a lot of models. So make sure you carefully add thin cyno or extra epoxy to these joints for trouble free flying.

I did, and never had a problem with the 90 spit and that was with a saito 125 on a 16x8.

This is my friends who was using a rcv 91cd

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8TSU732-MA[/youtube]

and two tegether rcv and saito

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-L2XIHn_k&feature=related[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66606.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1495031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34520.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1495032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52220.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1495033  
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 AM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where does one find this plane? All I can find is the 50 size
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 AM
paul cov

mk1spitfire, thanks for info, and yes i agree it is a good idea to beef up engine mount area and any other area,s you can get to on any ARF model, of which i have had a few,60 p51d, 40 spit, 60 zero,60 sopwith pup, and a few dead ones that i cant remember!, if common sense is used these models can last quite a long time, like my kyosho p51d that was maidened 4yrs ago and still fly,s beatifully every wk end only had to replace covering once, this will be my 1st 90 size warbird and 120 engine, as progressing up from .46 as we all have done, am now bored with 60 size and think its about time to move on?, what size prop would you recommend for this set up?. BTW i think your pics are great, thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:54 AM
paul cov

mk1spitfire, just out of curiousity did you go with stock mech retracts?.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
mk1spitfire

I was using a MA s2 props,16x8 with the saito 125. It put more load on the engine creating a better sound compared to the 16x6 I was using, slightly better speed.

But you are using a 120, so you will probably be be using 15x8, 16x6 too,

I do recomend those MA s2 props. Horizon uk do them. They are less prone to breaking than the apc but still very efficent.

As for the retracts I used stock. Just go easy on them

Later, I drilled out the retracts and used slightly larger piano wire, straight leg too.

good forum info on the 90 spit here.

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953813&highlight=kyosho+90[/link]
Old 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM
paul cov

mk1spitfire, Yes that was one of the threads that i read on rcgroups (kentuckycolonel) i believe, very interesting and informative, but unfortunetly he had probs with landing gear, so i will prob do the same as you and beef up landing gear with thicker dia steel, as im not noted for my delicate meetings with terra firma!, but im sure with a bit of practise and model familiarity i will be ok, once again thanks for info all good stuff.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 PM
mk1spitfire

Personally I would fly it as it is until you get fed up re bending the wire back. Remember she is a floater.

I later mixed crow breaking in to provide more drag to sit her down. But flaps are very good even half flap but you dont always need them when a bit windy.

I don't think you can get spare legs for the kyosho.

I ended up heat treating them too, by tempering them but in the end they had to come out.

However my mate flew his without any hard landings and had no trouble. Once you have one hard landing, it can make the metal go soft each time you bend back.

Its still worth checking before each flight that they do sit back in their wells and dont stall the servo.

As I said I opted for straight legs in the end because I had no wire bender to create the sprung loop, but you could buy one for about 15 quid to use with your slightly bigger legg wire. I think Kysoho leg is imperial and I chose swg piano wire, perhaps 8 swg, not quite sure from memory. About 5mm, slightly thicker than stock.

If you go for straight leg you will need construct stand offs for the wheel covers as the leg will sit deeper in the slot before the well or do without wheel covers.

Also think about all the stuff you can put on the bottom of wing. I left off the radiator grills etc as i figured that if I needed to land with wheels up I did not want these accessories being ripped off together with part of the film.

Some more vid and pics, including another spit of mine(not for the purists)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHzS7iLKDk[/youtube]

Name:	ec88075.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	661.1 KB
ID:	1495237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29381.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1495238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50410.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1495239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44513.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1495240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62549.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1495241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36009.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1495242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19778.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1495243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92602.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1495244  

Old 09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
paul cov

mk1spitfire, Thanks for that have taken onboard all the info and will be utilizing it into my spit build, pics and vid where great, excellent idea to drill holes to increase cooling, another idea that i will be using is to add 2nd batt for retract servo, and the set up for this is quite easy www.gibbs guides.com tells you how to do it, i have had two belly landings due to retracts not coming down despite aggressive flying to try and drop them out!, fortunetly no damage both times, "God bless long grass", quite looking forward to getting this bird airbourne now, was a bit apprehensive to start with but obviously no founded in fact as this plane seems very forgiving and a joy to fly, Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 AM
mk1spitfire

Another thing i did is ditch the two wooden elevator dowles and use two carbon pushrods and bound, glued them together.

My on board power was a 2s lipo( wedged next to fuel tank ) with regulator. I used a hitech bang bang retract servo. No seperate power but seperate is a good idea. Just remember you only need to disconnect the RED wire on the plug that enters the reciever for the gear channel. The red will be powered by your seperate battery.

You will notice the kit comes with grey plastic clevises that also has seperate plastic pins to complete. These proved to be ok. Just be carefefull not to loose them. Obviously where I had joined the carbon elevator push rods I used a metal pushrod at the elvator servo end with 2mm metal clevis.

This was the ww2 pilot I used.
[link]http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroonline/e8flightline/e811pilots/e811pilots.html[/link]

By the way, you may like this.!!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6c3v9iihgw[/youtube]

One of Photo's is photo shopped for fun!!!

Name:	Nl31058.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1495538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61841.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1495539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60676.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1495540  
Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 AM
paul cov

mk1spitfire, i must admit i was wondering about pilot size as not included in kit, and apparently a 1/6 pilot is to big Japanese chaps are not very big tho,really nice vid got goose bumps, pity we cant emulate that with models eh! what a sight that would be,why did you change ele push rods?, ive used wooden ones in the past and found them to be ok, no bending!.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM
mk1spitfire

I just went by what looked ok within the cockpit and thought the ww2 chappy(pictures above) from horizonuk didn't look to out of place or not that I noticed. I guess the purists will beg to differ.!!

lol,You need to buy another 15 kyosho 90 spits to emulate.!

I guess my main reason for opting for carbon pushrods was that I didn't want to chance it on my lovely new model with the supplied wooden dowles but i'm sure they will be fine.

Another thing I never bothered glueing the main wing together, as some have done in case I wanted easier storage. The only issue would be undoing one half of the retract servo. Likewise the tail plane. that was not glued too. Only held on by the retainers underneath.

TiP 1.If you ever need to take the retract out then you need to keep the retract closed as there is pin which can catch the plastic wheel well housing.
Tip 2. You will notice on the retract that there is a grub screw. This for the retract to stop wobbleling. Wind out for greater lock.
Tip 3. If you ever take the retract apart you will notice a very small thin metal plate. This plate is what the grub screw end presses up against to stop the wobble on the legs.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:33 PM
paul cov

yes, but what a sight it would be, can you imagine 14 spits flying in formation at same time at the weston bash?, h9, cmp,kmp, bh,kyosho,b.taylor,and many others, btw what was this about >I later mixed crow breaking in to provide more drag to sit her down. But flaps are very good even half flap but you < lol @ breaking crows .
Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
mk1spitfire

With 2.4 you should be able to get more than 14 in the air!!

Yer, I crowed her right up on the 2nd season I had her. I found that she is so floaty even with half or full flap that I would introduce more drag and washout to help nail the the landing better at our flying patch. I Felt it easier to land with a bit of power to overcome the drag instead of gliding her in, where she would glide on and she stuck sweet. Its probably more to do with nailing the landing at our limited patch than is neccessary elsewhere at other flying fields.
Its all personal prefernce how we get them down in one safe piece for another sortie.!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQYl9SZmqc[/youtube]
Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM
paul cov

bloody hell!, that spit is massive, could get my jack russell in it!( ww2 spit pilot!) , im quite fortunate in the fact that our club has patch size of footy pitch, and grass mown regularly so quite short, so spit can glide quite a long way, does she glide in like that no matter what the weather or does wind affect her greatly?, does she tip stall easily? i had 83 span that was an absolute ***** for tip stalling, will try and post some pics soon.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
mk1spitfire

No, she is very gracefull, no nasty tendancies. Football field is great, lucky you. I was amazed how slow you could fly her.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ymQ94d40Sc[/youtube]
Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 PM
paul cov

And no nose overs or ground loops?, it will make a nice change to fly a spit that is well mannered, really looking forward to this experience, it may take a while but will keep you informed when i maiden her, might even thro in some pics, who knows!, will post some pics of my other birds soon as i can.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: paul cov

And no nose overs or ground loops?, it will make a nice change to fly a spit that is well mannered, really looking forward to this experience, it may take a while but will keep you informed when i maiden her, might even thro in some pics, who knows!, will post some pics of my other birds soon as i can.

Like most tail draggers in the stronger wind, sometimes its better to collect your model than struggle to taxi her back. Didn't seem to have any real problems nosing over either. Lighter winds she taxis well.
Yer, keep adding pics/video, livens the thread up instead of just text.

Where did you get spit from? I have just sold mine now to venture into other things, like possibly turbines.

My mate got lucky and picked up two for 100 quid each. However these were the earlier versions that didn't have fuel proofing. He's a painter and slapped on the tuffcoat. Mine was fuel proofed version as our all new kits like yours.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 PM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lablover

Where does one find this plane? All I can find is the 50 size

Anyone?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:04 PM
mk1spitfire

I wish i could help but in uk.

Maybe try contacting Kyoshousa for dealer

[link]http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/[/link]
Old 09-06-2010, 12:19 PM
paul cov

Getting it from Kings Lynn Model Shop £236.00, that was good deal £100 each even tho no fuel proofing, 1st day back at work today after wk hols, spent 5 days just flying was great!, this site not easy to use if you have only just discovered the wheel!, trying to put pics on this thread, we bought our pc 2nd hand from some bloke named hoah!, big with boats and animals apparently? have put vid on youtube flying my Phoenix kit Tiger Moth with onboard flycam, look for......bedworth aeromodelling club..........you cant miss it, its bright yellow!.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
paul cov

I have uploaded some pictures of my planes, they dont show in preview so dont know if they will show up here, will give it a go and see what happens!!!

Name:	Zx71590.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1496234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82719.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1496235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17003.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1496236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84127.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1496237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85102.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1496238  
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 PM
paul cov

have got other pics but god knows where they are!, in pc bermuda triangle me thinks.....
Old 09-06-2010, 01:15 PM
paul cov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeaVAZePf4

I think this is the link to youtube, which should show my video that i did in an effort to find my friends downed plane! ( hopefully).
Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM
mk1spitfire

Nice quad, Petrol?

Yr spit looks similar size to kyosho 90 too,kit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.