RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   EasyTiger B-17 EPO Memphis Belle: WOW! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10357765-easytiger-b-17-epo-memphis-belle-wow.html)

CorsairJock 02-23-2011 09:30 AM

EasyTiger B-17 EPO Memphis Belle: WOW!

1 Attachment(s)
My 60th birthday today, so I just ordered a present for myself:
http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=252

EVERYTHING included except Rx & battery. Comes with:
Electric Main Gear Retracts (which BTW: fuction in SCALE manner, rather than like earlier version of EasyTiger B-17)
Functioning Bomb Bay Doors
Functioning Flaps
Functioning Lights
Scale 3 Blade Props
4 Brushless Motors & ESCs
7 Installed Servos
VERY SCALE/ AUTHENTIC LOOKING!

MaxAdventure 02-23-2011 11:13 AM

RE: EasyTiger B-17 EPO Memphis Belle: WOW!

Happy birthday! I hope you have fun with the kit!
Please let us know how the servos, motors, ESCs hold up. You may want to plan for their replacement with a known good quantity before your maiden, at least thoroughly test the equipment on the ground. (based on what I've read) Also let us know how the EPO holds up with less than ideal landings.

Voodoo101 02-23-2011 01:27 PM

Well that's a far cry from a Corsair. Hope if flys as good as it looks. I see they also have a Mosquito, that might be a lot of fun. I've always had a soft spot for that strage little wood framed hot rod.

I've never seen anything from Easytiger. Do you have much experience with their planes? Do they fly as well as they look?

Bert

CorsairJock 02-23-2011 02:38 PM

Hey Bert, no experience whatsoever with EasyTiger models, I'll be the guinea pig on this one. I WILL keep everyone advised.

ZERO-322 02-23-2011 04:10 PM

Happy Birthday ! if the mood should strike you my birthday is March 22 I wouldn't be mad at you if you wanted to send me one of those LOL

tailskid 02-23-2011 05:27 PM

And a Happy Birthday to you! I hope your 'present' gives you many hours of fond memories!!!!!

LDM 02-23-2011 09:46 PM

happy B -Day , great gift and good luck with the plane

Avaiojet 02-24-2011 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can see your excited. Good for you.

All you need now is this leather jacket!

prop wash 02-24-2011 07:36 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jim!!! Hope you will bring that beauty to WBD at Wheeler this July.
Tom

CorsairJock 04-02-2011 01:34 PM

Model finally arrived today.

GOOD NEWS:

Not only are the bomb bay doors operational as advertised, it comes with 4 dummy bombs will will drop when the doors open. Painted olive green and small, good luck finding them on grass runway.

It appears that there are actually 3 available versions of this in different paint schemes: 2 of them are Memphis Belle, 1 in "chamo" (splotches of different shades of green), 1 in "green", and the other (NON Memphis Belle) in what they call "yellow" but actually looks tan.

Decals have not been applied, so you CAN make it into a different B-17 if you want to.

If you have the correct touch up paint, it would be VERY easy to convert it to a B-17E (remove the chin turrent).

BAD NEWS:

Mine came with a mis-assembled right wing: the cowls are completely missing and the motors have a rediculous amount of downthrust (left wing motors have no noticeable downthrust). I have email Curtis at EasyTiger and notified him of my request for a new wing.

The scale props leave a lot to be desired (as do the instructions): they require assembly, and appear to be adjustable pitch, but do not specify what pitch to set them OR how to properly set them so they are all the same pitch. This really sucks, I may consider aftermarket props.

THOUGHTS:

A bomb dropping, flaps and retracts (all 3 wheels) equipped 63" span, realistic looking RTF B-17 for under $400 is just plain phenominal IMO. If I can get the wing situation straightened out, I'll be a very happy guy.

JohnVH 04-02-2011 01:49 PM

wow

CorsairJock 04-02-2011 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
parts for ONE 7" dia (ground) adjustable pitch prop (4 props included with model). Hamilton Standard decals are also included, for application to the blades.

CorsairJock 04-02-2011 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The EPO '500 lb' bombs. Short/ stubby, designed to be dropped staight down. Not exactly scale looking, but dropping multiple bombs from a model this size requires a little comprimise.
Good luck finding them after you drop them, hope EasyTider sell spares.

trent smith 04-02-2011 03:48 PM

Hello Corsairjock, I have a J Power P-51 which is made out of the same factory and has an identicle prop set up only 1 extra blade. Mine went together easily and the blades would only fit into one position which dicated pitch. If you have not try to assemble it yet have a try and it might sort its self out. Cheers Trent.

hellcat56 04-02-2011 04:13 PM

I fly off a grass runway
ONE SUGGESTION
paint the bomb white
may not be scale to the puriest
but
you will have more luck finding them they almost never end up where you think they will be
Believe me I know
my field has about 3 olive drab bombs I never found
WHITE

vallawyer 04-20-2011 04:45 PM

Yes, you will never find the bomb again unless you paint it orange.  They old vortac bombs came in brown or orange, the brown ones you can never find.
So did they send you a new wing?

CorsairJock 04-20-2011 05:32 PM

Actually, the old Vortacs were GREEN or orange (and I still have a stash of each color).

Replacement cowls arrived a few days ago (to replace the 2 that were missing).

Today, I removed the motor mount bolts and discovered that while all 4 motors had washers installed in top 2 holes between ply mounts and motors (to produce downthrust), the ones on the wing in question had doulble the number of washers, creating the excessive downthrust.
I removed ALL washers, re-installed bolts (substituted button head allen screws tho) and now have just a slight amount of downthrust on all 4.

It will be several days before the next step: working OT and weekends doesn't allow much time for building.

vallawyer 06-19-2011 05:35 AM

So how does it fly? You should have waited, now they have a bigger Silver B-17 on their site for sale.

CorsairJock 06-19-2011 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: vallawyer
So how does it fly? You should have waited, now they have a bigger Silver B-17 on their site for sale.

Thanks, anything else I should have waited for?

vallawyer 06-19-2011 06:16 AM

I did not mean to offend you.  There is always something newer and better I guess.  But how is the B17?

CorsairJock 06-19-2011 06:22 AM

Mine is not completed yet. Things happen, like I just now retired (Friday, June 17 was last day). My next venture is preparing for a motorcycle ride to the U.P. next weekend with H.O.G..
When I get back first priority will be getting my planes back in the air, AND completing B-17 project. Hopefully, 1st 'missions' will be on or before July 4.

tmaucher 06-19-2011 08:18 AM

Congradulations on the retirement. Its all gravey from here on.

turboratt89 06-19-2011 08:46 AM

sub

CorsairJock 07-01-2011 06:13 PM

Been working on getting mine ready for missions on the 4th of July.

PROBLEM: can't get the rudder wire to seat in the plastic housing (below the stab). The fin isn't attached permanantly yet, I keep pulling it off and trying again with no success. If I can't get it soon, I may just try to fly it without functional rudder.

prop wash 07-01-2011 06:23 PM

Congrats on your retirement Jim.Are you planning to come to Wheeler this summer?
Tom