RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM FW D-9 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10423070-esm-fw-d-9-a.html)

dvs1 05-05-2011 07:34 PM

RE: ESM FW D-9

Ramstein, The Sierra's with the Glennis wheels look very nice. Good combo, You'll have a great reliable plane when you get through!

Ty, The cockpit looks great, you work fast thats for sure!

Ramstein44 05-05-2011 09:41 PM

Thanks, Dvs1

I mentioned that you'll need to cut 11mm on the retract mount earlier if planning to use the Sierra gear. Word of caution; I found out that my wings weren't built exactly the same in this area so the left wing had a balsa shim on the mount and for whatever reason (build quality is guess) and only needed 7mm removed.

A few more adjustments are still needed and better mounting hardware.

Ramstein44 05-05-2011 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

I received the tail wheel in today and here are the pictures as promised.

Looking at the tail wheel, it really doesn't give you many options for a larger wheel other than the one supplied. You may be able to go up about 1/2 but no more.

I want to open up the fuse to get a better look at the fit of this unit as it's much larger than the Sierra gear to the right. Maybe they had a reason for this.

First impressions, its not a bad unit, looks a lot like the Sierra gear as mentioned in earlier posts but It too has a lot of play in it's design unlike the Sierra gear.
Can one order Sierra retracts custom made for this model?

P47,

Sorry I missed your post. To answer your question.. Highly doubtable. I went through a lot to get the custom gear and since the stock Sierra gear work, I boubt Sierra will make custom ones.

P47Pilot 05-05-2011 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

P47,

Sorry I missed your post. To answer your question.. Highly doubtable. I went through a lot to get the custom gear and since the stock Sierra gear work, I boubt Sierra will make custom ones.

Thanks. Just to make absolutely sure, these one will work (see firstpicture below, downloaded from Sierra homepages, ESM FW190 retracts)?Sierra also has the ones in the second picture for giant scae FW190, maybe those are better suited?

Best regards
P47Pilot

BigRetracts-RCU 05-06-2011 04:26 AM

P47Pilot,

The Retracts that are in the first photo are made for the smaller 72" ESM FW-190

The Retracts that Ramstein44 has in his wing were made for the Sist FW-190

The Smaller FW-190 Retracts do not have the Down Locks like the Larger ones do.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Darrell
Sierra Giant Scale

MANFRED 05-06-2011 05:51 AM

Darrell, will you be making a set of gear for this ship?

BigRetracts-RCU 05-06-2011 07:52 AM

Manfred,

Why? The 1/5 Scale Sist Gear fit already.

Darrell

Ramstein44 05-06-2011 08:54 AM

And fit well if I may say so:D

Working on the floor again. My tables are all full of to do's now including the fuse of this kit. I got the retracts installed and I'm happy with the fit. Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsaTdeV0kZ4

I'll clean the area up and start re-enforcing the area, then I'll glass it. I hope to have this completed late tonight as Saturday is family venture day:D

I'll also post a video of the Sierra tail.

Once all the leggs are in, gear doors installed, servos and so on, I'll move to the engine. I came up with a game plan late last night for this.:eek:

fockewulf37 05-06-2011 08:57 AM

The video is great.. Can you post a of the rail that you cut to fit the Sierra mains in with the measurements marked on the pic when you get a chance. It looks like it tapers..

Thanks Ty

Ramstein44 05-06-2011 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go Ty. The wings were a little different when it came to the mounts, the right side needed 11mm cut and the left needed 7mm. The first pic shows the two lines which the second one toward the rear is 11mm.

P47Pilot 05-06-2011 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: BigRetracts-RCU

Manfred,

Darrell

Darrel, thanks for the info. Will get the 1/5 Sist ones. I have the Sierras for my ESM 72" P-47 and they are the best landing gear I ever had.I wish you made a set for the Top Flite Giant Scale P-47 as well. I would get them instantly.

Cheers
P47Pilot

Ramstein44 05-06-2011 01:04 PM

Sierra tail retract. Still working some of the kinks out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDmq5HssEz4

dvs1 05-06-2011 04:36 PM

What kinks? Looks good to me!

Ramstein44 05-06-2011 07:14 PM

Preventing the steering cables not pulling on the servo when the retract is retracted. I’ve used springs before but I really don’t care for them. I used a different method on the ESM Anton which worked well. This is the route I’m considering here.

dvs1 05-06-2011 07:26 PM

I know the dilema that you have. On my SisT 190 it was made for a retractable tailwheel and will be easier to do than it was for my KMP 190. It was not made for a retracting tailwheel. I didn't have much of a problem modifying the rear of the plane to mount and install the retract unit, and the retract unit was designed perfectly by Darrell so I can remove it really easily. My problem came with the forward former in the fuselage. The only way I could make it work the way I had to run the cables was with springs. Unfortunately it never could steer very well or it would pull on the servo causing strain so I eventually just gave up and put some collars on the retract rod and it is fixed now.[:o]
It does steer flawlessly now though.

Good luck, I hope that your D9 is better engineered for a retractable tailgear.

Ramstein44 05-11-2011 12:14 PM

A bit of bouncing around between other projects and this, I was able to get started on the sliding canopy. I still have a long way to go. I'm also waiting to get some parts for the gear doors. The Glenis wheels are large enough to skip making them functional but it would look cooler and possibly save face as I've seen these gear doors get ripped of many times on grass fields. I have a paved runway so I could just skip this.

I set this up similar to my Holman build.

1/8th light ply glassed and then painted with primer.

Anyone else working on this ARF?

ticketec 05-11-2011 01:31 PM

NO,[&o] still waiting.

Thanks

dave

Ramstein44 05-11-2011 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little more completed on the canopy. It amazes me how much time it takes to complete the little things. I cut the rails and installed them and used a piece of triangle stock between them and the fuse. I’ll aeropoxy these in for added strength tonight.

Cracked the canopy just handling it and since it’s just in-between 1/5th scale and 1/4th scale, I’m forced to purchase another. I tried placing a Don Smith, Vailly and a Holman canopy on it to no avail. [&o]
I may just wait to see what time brings as for an aftermarket one.

Also here’s a picture of the tail wheel again with more of the fuse in the picture for size reference. The stock gear were the same length as the Sierra gear as posted earlier.

If anyone wants the stock gear for this; shoot me a pm. I’ll be posting them on site later since I can’t return them as I modified the tail.:eek:[:@]

Chris Nicastro 05-11-2011 05:26 PM

Oh that sucks, the canopy material could be PET or PETG in which case a little shock or a slip when trimming could result in a fracture. I pulled a mold off of my ESM 109E radiators and made vac formed polycarb (lexan) parts...much more shock resistant and easily paintable.

If you have enough of the canopy to salvage you can make a mold and have it pulled in lexan. If you do I'll buy one if I get this plane. I looked into the stock level at ARF Pros and they are in stock according to them. I'll have to decide soon on which plane to get.

Love the sliding canopy! good job on that one!

dvs1 05-11-2011 05:36 PM

Ramstein, Ask Ty, he might be making canopies for this one as he has in the past for others.

What is the wingspan again on this one, I thought it was really close to 1/5 scale? Of coarse if it is like the 190A like I have, the canopy is way way off of its scale. My SisT canopy could almost be made to fit it and they are 1/6, 1/5.

Ramstein44 05-11-2011 06:54 PM

Chris thanks, I wish I had the time/skills to make a custom canopy. I would tear this kit apart to make it a D11 to replicate red 4. You'd think the larger kits canopies from ESM would be stronger.

Dvs1, I've mentioned to Ty about the canopy and hope he finds the time to make one like the Anton also. The wingspan is 82.5 inches according to the instructions. I think the Sist wingspan is pretty close to this but the Holman is 80 inches and even it's canopy with a little work fits the Sist.

I often wonder if they make parts for these kit's off just to ensure you don't have any other options but theirs!

Ramstein44 05-11-2011 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok..This I figured some of you would want to see.. It looks like plastic underneath and they even have the area underneath it already opened.. Mine wasn’t hard at all to remove; I did suffer one or two scratches in the process but no big deal.

I plan to place the fuel tank here and the switches. This makes me happy:D

However, I’m glad I opened the gun hood as everything in there needs re-enforcement! Some areas had no glue at all!

fockewulf37 05-11-2011 10:28 PM

I am looking into making a mold off of the original this weekend. Not promising anything though. Making a different shape one just take way too much time. will let ya'll know soon if i'll be able to make a replacement...

ty

wphilb 05-12-2011 03:49 PM

Darrell,

I've been trying to reach you at your email and phone number for two weeks, what is the best way of contacting you?

Whit

(pls excuse the thread interuption)

ORIGINAL: BigRetracts-RCU

Manfred,

Darrell

fockewulf37 05-12-2011 03:54 PM

Darrell is at the Joe Nall right now. He will not head back home until Saturdayor Sunday...

Ty