RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM FW D-9 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10423070-esm-fw-d-9-a.html)

vertical grimmace 03-29-2011 05:52 PM

RE: ESM FW D-9

I ran my new DLE 30 cc in the triplane last night. It works sweet. It has a smoke system to which worked great.

kahloq 03-29-2011 05:59 PM

Nice

fockewulf37 04-01-2011 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Guys just picked up the 190 today.. Box was in pretty good shape. The model is pretty well packed but still ended up with a crack in the supercharger and the canopy was deformed. It will have to be replaced.. One side looks good but the other side looks like something was set on it while still warm.....Panel lines are nice and crisp on the fuse...

Ty

fockewulf37 04-01-2011 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the canopy you can see it looks pretty good on one side. outline wise. No sliding canopy unless someone is really into cutting away the rear portion and framing it in...

Ty

fockewulf37 04-01-2011 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot from the rear and also of the tail section from the top. They have the tubular section in like the real one...

Ty

fockewulf37 04-01-2011 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last is a comparison of the Fw190 size compared to the P-39..

Ty

LDM 04-01-2011 02:31 PM

very cool Ty , I cant believe how big that thing is !!!!

pimmnz 04-01-2011 04:21 PM

Or how bad that instrument panel is. And where's the coaming above the panel that has the gunsight and the two handholds? The most obvious thing on any FW cockpit.
Evan, WB #12.

fockewulf37 04-01-2011 04:26 PM

I hope to remedy some of those problems when I do the cockpit kit for it starting late next week....hopefully...

Ty

LDM 04-01-2011 04:59 PM

I figured you would fix that but I do guess for the money you would think that they would get the interior outline correct

jeffk464 04-01-2011 05:54 PM

Man, that thing looks fantastic.

hellcat56 04-01-2011 06:09 PM

It Does Look Marveloous

I dont want to nit pick, and I did notice it didnt take long for someone to find SOMETHING to complain about
So I want to join in with my knocks I dont want to be left out of the complaining

I noticed that the left nut on the right side of the right supercharger is missing the washer behind the thrust vectoring valve
obviously that means it is not worth buying

come on guys lets all knock this plane obviously it is not perfect
and lets try to discourage other manufactors from putting out kits while we are at it

I mean no one should put out a kit unless it is perfect
We are called modelers-so model, create, modify and quit complaining

you should be glad a NEW SCALE KIT has been offered

disgusted already

MANFRED 04-01-2011 09:16 PM

Amen, Ty how about a pic of the underside?

TA152 04-01-2011 10:16 PM

I think it looks very good. The cockpitarea is easy to make more scale. The only thing I miss is the frise ailerons, but I will buy one anyway :D:D
Hope it's possible to use the Sierra retracts in this one.

airfix 04-01-2011 10:34 PM

The D9 looks great.

But they would sell many more if they could offer it in another colour scheme. Come on ESM, you do a couple of schemes for the P47, Me109 and the DC3, why not do the same for this great aircraft?

Al
aka airfix

ticketec 04-02-2011 02:11 AM

umm doesn't look too bad from here;)

Hey Ty, Is there a spinner with the kit?

Thanks

dave

LDM 04-02-2011 02:22 AM

If I get I am painting the candycanes another color . Love the plane from the top side , Ty , has is the glass quality , flex of the fuse ect ?
Thinking it may be worth cutting into and potentially seeing if the sist canopy would be an easy fix to make the canopy slide .That is what i did on my CMP Fw190 . I think they are in the same scale , sist makes a 1/5 scale correct ?

fockewulf37 04-02-2011 02:31 AM

No Spinner....
If you are really careful you could cut away the rear of the canopy and then add some ply to make a base. it could be done...
I am going camping with my son today so I can't take more pics until tomorrow...

Ty

LDM 04-02-2011 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On the hyperscale site , some D9 shots for those who may want to add some details

kwik 04-02-2011 02:48 AM

ORIGINAL: hellcat56

It Does Look Marveloous

You should be glad a NEW SCALE KIT has been offered

I agree with hellcat56.

I think it looks very good! A fantastic starting point for ARF bashing.

Now , if someone mention some details in a nice tone, I am sure ESM wont be offended, and just look at it
as positive feedback from potential customers.:D:D:D

Okay, here is my feedback;

-You need to offer two different color schemes. Surely there must be some empathy for those who doesnt want the
underside of their plane to look like a candy-stick?

-Something that is easy to correct; The dimension of the crosses, especially on the upper wing. They are wrong.
Surely you can correct that?

Will I buy one? No. I have two large Fw's already. I will buy the 50cc Messerschmitt.

kwik 04-02-2011 02:54 AM

And how would I proceed to make a sliding canopy?

-Tempoarly glue the canopy in place using tape.

-Release agent on the canopy and aft part of canopy ( which at the moment is a part of the fuse)

-Use fibreglass and mold a new canopy frame on the canopy when it is still "glued" in place.

-Remove newly molded canopy-frame. Remove canopy.

-Cut away aft of canopy which is part of fuse. Make new turtle deck.

fockewulf37 04-02-2011 03:14 AM

I would be pretty easy if you did a food job cutting away the turtle deck. You could use the one you cut away. How I would do it is. Cut off the turtle deck. Adde light ply base in the open area that was flush with the remaining area. The take another piec of light ply and cut it to match the whole open area all the way to the angle at front of the cockpit. If you cut it to perfectly match the cockpit area then you would have something to attach the rear turtle deck to and also the rear part of the canopy. All you would have to do is make the frame where the front and rear part of the canopy match. This large base would also make it easy to create the sliding mechanism.

I don't have time to draw a pic right now on the way out the door...

Ty

LDM 04-02-2011 03:22 AM

I did one on the CMP Fw190 , my post on RCU show the video of the canopy sliding , my only mistake was not making the arm of the air cyclender longer for more movement .It was actually very easy on the Fw series because the unit can be hidden under the deck as you are assembling , it much more difficult on my P40 .
On the FW 190 , I simple taped the area to be cut , and gradually scored a line with a very shape knife over and over . Why a knife vs a dremil wheel ? the knife will give you the smallest gap between the two cutting surfaces in the event you want to use the exitsing rear deck for your finished canopy .
Then I order a aircylender from precisions cylenders inc , they make them for extra long pushing needs , can easily be purchases on Hobby King .
I build the assembly to hold the cylender in place under the deck , and trial and error had the frame sliding in no time .
Obviously you need to decide how and what it will slide on , i simple used small push rods inside the canopy as a guide .
Video is online under CMP Fw190 Longest bash in history :D

perttime 04-02-2011 03:25 AM

I like the "candy-stick" bottom.

Looks absolutely great for someone who just wants it to look good in the air. And a very good starting point if you want to get the small details right, too.

MANFRED 04-02-2011 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
High Vis baby!!! But you are right about the wing crosses, way too big.