RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10862242-esm-mitsubishi-j2m3-raiden-build.html)

Sessholvlaru 12-16-2011 07:42 AM

ESM Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden build

1 Attachment(s)
So this huge box arrived today, and it turns out to be an ESM Raiden! I was torn between the Do-335, Fw-190 D9 and Bf-109 but those all have build threads so far. Why not go down the road less traveled I thought. That and I have always liked the Raiden; certainly my favorite WWII Japanese plane.

I unboxed the whole plane and couldn't help mocking it up. Quality of fit and finish looks great. My only complaint would be that there are a couple of small paint runs, but I am not too worried about these as I plan on completely weathering this bird. The wings do not have the fittings for the cannons, so these will also have to be added.

The cowl is huge, and it could likely fit a Moki radial with an extension shaft like the real deal, but mine will likely get a G-62. I plan on going with the ESM electric retracts, since they are supposed to retract much faster now (15 seconds or less).

Mpizpilot 12-16-2011 10:43 AM

RE: ESM Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden build

I like it, looking forward to the build. I'm finishing up the 190, and even though mine had a few issues I'm definitely looking to get anther ESM.

Idigbo 12-16-2011 10:57 AM

Looking forward to your build, plus more details of the electric retracts. Mine has the air up air down ones and are holding up well up to now.

Ian.

n8622t 12-16-2011 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sweet Sess:D Im with ya on the engine...I think she will need the extra weight to counter the tail...Im going with a Fuji 64 that I have had for 5 years:eek: ...it was just waiting for this airframe is all:)

Sessholvlaru 12-16-2011 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice. Are you going to build yours soon?

I am thinking one of these would look awesome on the G-62.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/BP2010-4BY.html

Idigbo 12-16-2011 03:17 PM

That'd look superb wouldn't it!!!! Are you going for one? My Z62 is swinging a cut down 24" x 10" on the Raiden at the moment, sure moves it along too!! Is your tailwheel retract electric too?

Ian.

Sessholvlaru 12-16-2011 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Idigbo

That'd look superb wouldn't it!!!! Are you going for one? My Z62 is swinging a cut down 24'' x 10'' on the Raiden at the moment, sure moves it along too!! Is your tailwheel retract electric too?

Ian.
I haven't ordered the gear yet, but yes the tailwheel is electric too.

MANFRED 12-16-2011 05:18 PM

Hpefully they worked out the bugs with the weak motors not being able to handle anything but a foamy wheel

n8622t 12-16-2011 09:52 PM

Sess I have a couple of those Beila 4 blade 22X10 that are going on a DA85...they are really nice props and will compliment your model very well.:)

n8622t 12-16-2011 09:57 PM

Hey Sess I am waiting for Sierra to build these gear...Darrell is in the process of making them and they will be available at vqwarbirds;) just email Tomas at VQ and he is great for returning the message. Also, Ty is making the cockpit for this plane:D so we have a lot to look forward too...pretty cool model in my book

n8622t 12-16-2011 10:00 PM

It will be a while before I start...Im finishing a P40 then moving on to the BF109 esm arf...Raiden is definitely on the list though:D I guess you can blaze a trail for us to follow;)

Sessholvlaru 12-16-2011 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: n8622t

Hey Sess I am waiting for Sierra to build these gear...Darrell is in the process of making them and they will be available at vqwarbirds;) just email Tomas at VQ and he is great for returning the message. Also, Ty is making the cockpit for this plane:D so we have a lot to look forward too...pretty cool model in my book
Darrell's gear is great, but is too expensive for my taste. Tomas says the new ESM electric gear is much faster, so I think I will go that route. I don't like lugging compressors around anyway.

I had also emailed Ty...he says he plans on having our cockpits done by the first week in January.

Idigbo 12-17-2011 01:27 AM

Thats good news on Ty's cockpits, mine will probably get one. Ref. the retracts, although mine are the air up air down ones, they have been faultless. I had an issue initially with a bit of crap floating about the system that I couldn't find. Eventually did though after a frustrating hour or two, turned out to be a bit of anodised swarf out of the air valve. Oleos and stuff are standing up well too. I wouldn't rule out the standard gear, it looks scale enough too.

Ian.

n8622t 12-17-2011 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It will definitely be worth waiting for and if they are fast enough they will be a great add to the kit:D Here is a 22X10 Biela

Sessholvlaru 12-18-2011 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am getting started on my Raiden. I plan on using the included CyA hinges but before I glued them I noticed that each aileron has two holes drilled right on the bevel. I'm not sure what these are, maybe something they used to hold the ailerons as they were painted? They aren't for CyA wicking since there are only two and they are not centered in the hinge slots. They are visible once assembled, so I filled them them. I will need to make a trip to the LHS to find some matching touch up paint.

Sessholvlaru 12-18-2011 01:56 PM

Hey Idigbo what servo are you using on your elevator? This seems like a big plane for a single elevator servo but I like the hidden control horns. I ordered some digital HS-5645MG's (168oz.in.) for everything except the flaps. They will get HS-645MG's.

Idigbo 12-18-2011 02:12 PM

Sess, I have 645 all round, on 6v. Plenty of grunt for this model. My install is pictured, I moved the control runs to the sides, to leave run for a cockpit, which Ty's news was music to my ears!!

Ian.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...o/DSCF7875.jpg

Sessholvlaru 12-18-2011 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your input!

I was playing with some silver pens and my cowl. These Raidens were flown to death, so I plan to weather mine accordingly.

CdnFlyer 12-18-2011 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Sessholvlaru: I have been following your build with interest. This is one aircraft that I have admired for some time and it does fly well, at least the one the I have. I built mine from scratch, or at least plan built mine, as Stand-Off Scale. I have not flown mine for about two years not, but will be getting it back into the air in the spring, as I re-engined it this year.

I attached some photos of mine.

Sessholvlaru 12-18-2011 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heavier weathering. I am thinking I want to go with a similar degree to this plastic model.

Sessholvlaru 12-18-2011 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: CdnFlyer

Hi Sessholvlaru: I have been following your build with interest. This is one aircraft that I have admired for some time and it does fly well, at least the one the I have. I built mine from scratch, or at least plan built mine, as Stand-Off Scale. I have not flown mine for about two years not, but will be getting it back into the air in the spring, as I re-engined it this year.

I attached some photos of mine.

Hi CdbFlyer. Your Raiden looks great! Is that based off the Pica plan?

CdnFlyer 12-18-2011 07:26 PM

I did not know that Pica had a Raiden, but the plans were from an old magazine, I even forget which one. You probably noticed that the fuselage is slab sided instead rotund like yours. Mine has a wingspan of 70 inches, and I installed a Saito 125 in it now, it used to have a 90 which was not quite enough. Flaps work really well to slow it for landing, and the big wing is great for slow flight as well. Unfortunately I had to extend the nose and cowl by about 1-1/2 inces to fit the 4 stroke in, made my own fibreglass cowl and molded canopy. With the wide stance landing gear, it ground handles really well.

I have had an A5M Claude, and currently have a Ki-61 Tony. Am working on a 1/5 scale A6M Zero from Yellow Aircraft, with a build thread on RC ScaleBuilder.

Keep up the great work, this is one great aircraft, seldom modeled.

Bill

fockewulf37 12-19-2011 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,
I finally got started on the cockpit today. Really busy time of the year. The real plane had a 35ft wing span and that puts this one right at about 5th Scale. So I will be building a cockpit around a 5th scale pilot. The real plane had a large cockpit. Hopefully I can do this one justice....

Idigbo 12-19-2011 02:53 PM

Oooooh, looking forward to this!!!!

Ian.

Sessholvlaru 12-19-2011 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

Hey Guys,
I finally got started on the cockpit today. Really busy time of the year. The real plane had a 35ft wing span and that puts this one right at about 5th Scale. So I will be building a cockpit around a 5th scale pilot. The real plane had a large cockpit. Hopefully I can do this one justice....

Sweet, thanks Ty! Will you be doing a canopy too? This one so needs to be able to open, but I don't want to experiment by chopping mine up.