RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Solo props, up front and personal (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10883974-solo-props-up-front-personal.html)

zipnz1 12-30-2011 09:59 PM

Solo props, up front and personal

I am looking for a prop for my dle 222 powered warbird. I need a 3 blade prop around 30-32 inch diameter and pretty much everything out there in that size is a sport type prop.
I am interested in purchasing a solo prop but i am hoping somebody can answer a few questiong i have before i pull the trigger.
The dle engine has a multi bolt hub and i was wondering if somebody might have a picture of what the adapter hardware looks like and if this setup might hold up to a 20 horse engine.
Another thing, i would like to know what the diameter of the root of the prop blade is and maybe the outside diameter of the hub and height so i can determine it it will fit the spinner properly.

Thanks,
mike

Ram-bro 12-30-2011 10:28 PM

RE: Solo props, up front and personal

whatthe heck you puttin this on?

zipnz1 12-30-2011 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to find a suitable 3 blade prop for my never ending 33% 109 project.

Mk23socom 12-30-2011 10:48 PM

NICE!

STUKA BARRY 12-31-2011 05:30 AM

Your best bet is to give Solo a call and talk one on one. As far as the single bolt hub adapter, I'd talk to Darrell at Sierra Retracts. I think he just purchased two more CNC machines on top of what he's already got, he can make anything.

john534 12-31-2011 04:13 PM

Hey Mike,
I have numerous Solo props and hubs, so I took some quick dimensions for you.....

Blade root dia.= 23.8125mm +/-
3 Blade Hub dia= 73.5mm +/-

Sorry I dont have the muti-bolt adapter so cant help you there... but I can tell you they fit easily in a 5" dia. spinner, and look great even in a 6.25"(Carf Mustang). Bigger spinner may cover up a bit more blade.....

Wayne makes some very nice stuff at Solo and is great to work with. Hope this helps, Happy New Year!

john

Greg Wright 12-31-2011 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike,

Hear is what you would get, the adaptor is basiclly a six bolt back plate that get's bolted to your engine, then there are some pin's in it that engage into the back of the prop hub itself, then there is a machined threaded stud that screws into that adapter to hold the prop hub on, it is also threaded on the other end to accept your spinner bolt. This is for my evolution 80 motor and the only thing you need to do is check the bolts after every ten flights or so cause they say not to use any thread locker on the bolts of the assembly. I would also think that you would'nt have any problems cause they are running these prop setup's on the big moki radials with out any problems at all.

zipnz1 12-31-2011 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info guys.
It looks like its going to be a great fit. My spinner is about 7" in the prop area.
By the info that you gave me john, it looks like the blade base diameter is almost a perfect match for the scaled down original 109 blade.
Looking at the solo web site they have a picture of a dauntless prop blade and it looks like a close match with the blade shape, hopefully this is a shape they can produce when i order.
I wanted to get an idea what the multi bolt adapter hardware looked like. I will need something custom for my motor. This is something i would be able to make, i just needed an idea how the solo adapter was designed with the use of drive pins to eliminate prop slippage.

thanks
mike

Scalenut-RCU 12-31-2011 05:48 PM

Mike,

I have a 25" diameter Solo prop that Carl made for me before selling out to Wayne. He made the blade profile to match the 109 style and it sure looks good to me. I talked to Wayne the other day and he does not have the exact match to what I have but he said he can come close to the 109 profile if I ever needed replacement blades. Just tell him what you want and I am sure he can work it out for you.

Forest

zipnz1 12-31-2011 06:26 PM

Thanks forest,
I was wondering if solo would be able to make other blade profiles besides the box stock round or square tip.

ticketec 01-01-2012 02:59 AM

Hey zipnz1,

I know it's not soloprop, but you could also try Varioprop, I KNOW that he makes a 30-32" sized scale prop for Fw's and Me's It's just not listed on his site, also gound pitch adjustable.. but quite $$$$[X(] One of the boy's here on the forum waited for over 3 months to get the Fw-190 shaped blades from solo.

There is also a german prop manufacture that custom makes a prop to your spec's for you. I.E you tell them the HP, RPM, Dia, flying speed etc that you are after and they do the calculations and CNC machine you a prop. not cheap either, but I was suprised that is wasn't as much as I thoguht it would be. I'll see if I can find the thread that had the info in it. In the mean time, I thought you'd like this video... 1:3.8 so a little smaller than your's but not by much, and spinning the varioprop 32" prop.

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/7c2cba05...fa7bd/Me-109-E

Thanks

dave

ticketec 01-01-2012 03:53 AM

Ok,

Not quite the thread I was after as I can't seem to find it, but here is the thread for the Me-109 seen in the vid's above.... The Germans sure know how to do it! The 1/4 me-109 is flying with an 80cc engine! Gear reduction at 1:1.6 and a 30" prop.... just awesome!

The thread does briefly talk about props, not exactly the info you were after zinnz1 but I thought you might be interested ;)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://vimeo.com/25340627

Thanks
dave

zipnz1 01-01-2012 10:23 AM

Thanks for the videos and link dave, it sure helps to get through the cold winters here up north when were ground bound.

I did not know there were other manufactures out there, another option for me to consider.

mike

JeffH 01-03-2012 06:54 AM

Another thing to ask about is RPM and tip speeds with your 2 stroke vs. the radials that diameter prop is normally run on. I think they normally only turn 4000 or so on the ground. I dont think your 222 will be happy at that RPM, so you will have the flatten the pitch to get the RPM up. I would just verify with whomever you choose, that their prop can handle what 6500 or so?? I am not sure what RPM the 222s are happy turning.

zipnz1 01-03-2012 02:46 PM

Your right jeff, i have been thinking about that recently. The 222 likes to be propped at 5500 at the lowest preferably at 6000 on the ground. and i am sure that it unloads 500-1000 rpm in the air.
I know the bigger the prop is the the lower the rpm is that it starts ripping and ripping puts prop blades under stress, especially wood props.
From the solo web site they have a formula to calculate max prop rpm and by there calculations-
30" prop max rpm = 6114 rpm
32" = 5732 rpm
Now i think i can work with that on the ground but if the prop unloads 1000 rpm in the air is that a problem? If i decide to go with a carbon prop i still have these issues but the carbon blade is able to handle these stresses better than wood.

mike

JeffH 01-04-2012 10:16 AM

COMP-ARF sells carbon blades for their Corsair and P-47, but of course, the blade profiles are no where close to that of a ME-109

michaelj878 12-10-2012 04:14 PM

Hey Guys,

older posts but sure someone will know

Are Solo props still in business?
I have send multiple emails to find out about a propeller Ive paid for but they seem to be simply ignoring them

Unfortunately i paid more than 45 days ago or i would just place a paypay dispute?

Its entirely possible they are not getting the emails for some reason - but ive tried a few of their email address

Are people still getting their orders at this stage

invertmast 12-10-2012 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: michaelj878

Hey Guys,

older posts but sure someone will know

Are Solo props still in business?
I have send multiple emails to find out about a propeller Ive paid for but they seem to be simply ignoring them

Unfortunately i paid more than 45 days ago or i would just place a paypay dispute?

Its entirely possible they are not getting the emails for some reason - but ive tried a few of their email address

Are people still getting their orders at this stage

He is a one man band and when i ordered my prop blades almost 2 years ago, it took 3 to 4 months to show up, and i asked him to rush on them as i needed them ASAP to meet a comp. deadline. He made the deadline just barely and the product was nice, but the wait sucked (then again, im impatient for most things). Id suggest taking the time to give him a call

wdemon 10-06-2014 06:35 PM

If I haven't met some of you and if you still have questions about Solo Props or questions on the props, contact me. Best way and fastest way to get a response is by email. Send you inquiries to [email protected]. I am catching up on the backorders that I received from Wayne when I purchased the company, but Solo Props is back up a and running. Mon - Fri 9-5 Sat - Sun - Gone Flying

Sincerely,
Patrick Wallace
Solo Props - President
www.soloprops.com

da Rock 10-08-2014 04:49 AM

For those who don't know about Solo props, they are ground adjustable for pitch. The hubs sold are for 2, 3, and 4 blade setups. There happens to be a website and it offers a fair amount of info and products.

http://www.soloprops.com/

da Rock 10-08-2014 04:55 AM

Solo's website says the props are from 16" to 32" and suited for engines from 16.5cc (1.0 cu in) to 250cc. http://www.soloprops.com/

heinzulrich 09-14-2015 03:33 PM

It might be a good idea to let the people who have the original Solo prop hubs know that they can't get replacement blades anymore. the new blades don't fit the old hubs....from the groove to the base or butt end is longer....

wdemon 09-14-2015 03:48 PM

I am not sure what you are referring too. I have the same jigs and templates from the original owner, Carl. I haven't had any one let me know their blades didn't fit. I did have a customer, who has been buying Solo Props since they were started, he verified that the blades even fit the very first hubs made that were flat on the face. If you have a fit problem send me some pictures with a description and I will take a look at it. Send them to the email address found on the contact page found in our website. I would put it up here but I don't know if it is allowed in these forums. The only thing I can't do is match an older set of blades because the balance code that was put on them, the key to match that was lost between the original owner and the previous. I have come up with a new balance code that I can match blades too.

wdemon 09-14-2015 03:53 PM

I have been developing about 12 to 13 new propellers since last winter / spring. They are getting ready to be tested soon. The Solo Propellers do have a max. RPM of 5000. So most static RPM runs should be in the 3500 to 4000 range to keep close to the 5000 RPM when the engine is in the air and un-loads. The new props can be seen on our Facbook page. We are listed as Solo Props, LLC. One of our new props is a ME-109 prop. It fits the Meister Scale model and is sized for a DA-85. That is probably a little small for the 109 mentioned in above posts. Check out the new items on Facebook and let me know what you think!

heinzulrich 09-14-2015 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by wdemon (Post 12099374)
I am not sure what you are referring too. I have the same jigs and templates from the original owner, Carl. I haven't had any one let me know their blades didn't fit. I did have a customer, who has been buying Solo Props since they were started, he verified that the blades even fit the very first hubs made that were flat on the face. If you have a fit problem send me some pictures with a description and I will take a look at it. Send them to the email address found on the contact page found in our website. I would put it up here but I don't know if it is allowed in these forums. The only thing I can't do is match an older set of blades because the balance code that was put on them, the key to match that was lost between the original owner and the previous. I have come up with a new balance code that I can match blades too.

What I'm referring to is that I have the original hub ( from the original owner , BC Canada) , and I have a newer hub from the person that had the company in Florida and the blades are not interchangeable. In other words the new blades will not fit the old hubs..