RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10906674-hangar-9-30cc-p-47-build-thread.html)

John Redman 01-13-2012 07:41 AM

Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Okay guys, I finaly got my P-47 for the build thread.

Quick Note: These are still not available to the consumer yet. They should be here before the end of February

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...4485-_-HAN4485

I will go through the entire build to include a number of videos which will be on the Horizon Hobby website and You Tube channel. It will also live on the Horizon hobby facebook page.

The plan is to build it as per the manual with the Evolution 40GX engine. I will show the installation of the Power 160 just for the guys interested in electric power. Robart electric retracts will be installed. Once complete we will then detail the model out and do a full weathering job on it.

All questions or remarks are welcome. The build will begin early next week so stay tuned.

mxcop114 01-13-2012 07:59 AM

RE: Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

Very cool John, can't wait to get this one myself. Hope to see you soon at WRAM show?

Lee

ROGER RUSSELL 01-13-2012 08:32 AM

:D

John Redman 01-13-2012 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just received these today. Very nice quality!!

ROGER RUSSELL 01-13-2012 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

John:
Cost wise are those cheaper to install then air tanks etc......of regular Robart Retracts?

Just plug those into the retract slot in the RX?

John Redman 01-13-2012 12:17 PM

I believe the cost is very similar to a complette air set. By the time you add the air kit and a servo these are very close in price. I will find out what the total cost is and explain later in the build.

miklos 01-15-2012 04:39 AM

Would these be compatible with the old p-47 & p-51 retract mechanisms? Could they
be a drop in replacement?

Ron101 01-15-2012 08:29 AM

Very nice John!
I have mine on order and can't wait to dig in. Do you know if the public can order the electric retracts from Robart? I really want to try a set.

I have a Hacker A 60- 16L motor which I'll be running on 12s 65c 5000 mah packs with 20x15 prop.... it should be a rocket ship :D

Looking forward to your build and weathering

Ron

John Redman 01-16-2012 11:28 AM

@ Miklos, The new Robart units for the P-47 are not a drop in for the older Ultra Track retracts that were included with the original P-47 and P-51. I do believe with very little work they will fit. The new wings are designed from the start for the Robart units. The kit does include fixed gear.

@ Ron101, I would gues you could and will find out for you. I do know that Horizon will be carrying the new electric units for this model under a Hangar 9 part number. Both teh pneumatic and electric units will be available through Horizon Hobby.com and its dealers.

That Hacker should make the P-47 move like no other!!!!!!

DLEVETT 01-16-2012 05:57 PM

Subscribed!!!

John Redman 01-18-2012 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay guys, it has begun so lets get some pictures up.

pic #1 shows all the main kit parts out of the box.
pic #2 shows the decal sheets that are included. There are three options.
pic #3 shows the battery tray for the electric conversion. This is an optional part for the electric enthusiast.
pic #4 shows the electric motor box. This is an optional part for the electric enthusiast.
pic #5 shows the cockpit interior. This is an optional part for those interested in installing a full depth cockpit interior.

John Redman 01-18-2012 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first thing we wanted to do was to hit all the covering with an iron. Although the covering looked very nice out of the box, it is always a good idea to go over the entire model with an iron and sock at a moderate temperature (280 - 300 degrees) in a circular motion to ensure the covering is fully stuck down to the structure.

pic #1 shows the tools required to go over the covering.

The tools shown are:
Hangar 9 Pro Seal Iron
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...N4485-_-HAN135
Hangar 9 Heat Gun
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...N4485-_-HAN100
Hangar 9 Covering Glove
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...N4485-_-HAN150

On occasion you may find that some tape residue may live on the covering or some color may come off the sock or foot of the iron. This is easily removed with some alcohol and a paper towel.

pic #2 shows the spot of tape residue on the wing panel.
pic #3 shows the applications of the alcohol to remove the tape residue.
pic #4 shows the tape residue is all gone.

John Redman 01-18-2012 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once all the covering is shrunk down and looks nice we will need to remove the covering over the wheel well areas. You will also do this over the tailwheel area. This is done with a razor blade or z-acto knife with a #11 blade. The choice is yours. A big thing to remember with UltraCote is how fast it will dull a blade. To say this plastic covering eats up blades is an understatement. Change them regularly or you will rip covering.

pic #1 shows a number of cuts around the perimeter of the main wheel well. These cuts are all about 1/2 inch long.
pic #2 shows the large amount of covering removed from the inner area.
pic #3 shows the covering ironed down around the perimeter of the wheel well. We will come back later and repaint this area for a cleaner look when we get closer to the end of the wing panel.

You will do this for both main wheel wells and the tail wheel opening.

John Redman 01-18-2012 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next I like to finish the trim colors in the hinge line areas. This isn't possible for the manufacturers to do due to mass production programs. By doing this your model has a more finished looked when sitting on the flightline. All it takes is a small amount of covering and a little time.

pic #1 shows the flap as it comes out of the box.
pic #2 shows the flap after I have added the yellow and black trim through the hinge line area.
pic #3 shows the aileron as it comes out of the box.
pic #4 shows the aileron after I have added the yellow and black trim through the hinge line area.
pic #5 shows the rudder as it comes out of the box.
pic #6 shows the rudder after I have added the yellow and black trim through the hinge line.
pic #7 shows the wing trailing edge as it comes out of the box.
pic #8 shows the wing trailing edge after I have added the yellow and black trim through the hinge line.

John Redman 01-18-2012 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The next step is to install the hinges. There are two different types of hinges used on the P-47. There is the typical CA hinge for the rudder, elevators, and ailerons. Then there is the round hinge point hinge for the flaps.

The manual has you install the surfaces as you build the part. In other words they have you hinge the ailerons and flaps while you build the wings. Later they have you hinge the elevators as you build the stabs, etc. I personally hate to hinge. So when I do it I want to get it done. Before you go and glue all the hinges in you need to read through the manual thoroughly and ensure that if you do it all at once, nothing will get out of sequence causing an issue later on in the build. I double verified this and went to work.

Adhesive used for hinging the rudder was think CA or pink label ZAP. I prefer to use ZAP whenever I build. It is the highest quality adhesive on the market I believe. Any thin CA will work, the key thing is to make sure it is fresh.

pic #1 shows the rudder hinges installed. Here you can also see the more complete look of the stripes through the hinge area. A much more professional finish I believe.
pic #2 shows the elevator hinged to the stab.

A key point to remember when installing hinges on something that is the same color top and bottom. You will always want to ensure the top covering overlaps the bottom covering. This is ensured at the factory and you want to do the same. So carefully look at the sides and the hinge line to see how the overlap is to determine the top and bottom of each stab and elevator half.

Ron101 01-18-2012 05:08 PM

Looking great John!!
I like the way you finished off the trim... this is going to just be a flyer for me , so I'm not going to worry about it.
But that really finishes it off

I like the way the gear bays are already painted... all the parts look great

John Redman 01-19-2012 11:10 AM

For the hour or so of work to finish off the trim, it definitely makes it stand out. There are some pretty cool "out of eyesight" features that aren't huge but will make for a cleaner completed model. Reminds me of one corny movie "Zombieland".

I think it was rule #31: "Enjoy the little things"

I will be highlighting a few of these in the gear installation part coming up soon as well as the rest of the build.

thrawn150 01-19-2012 02:21 PM

Thats a great movie and this looks like a great model. I think it is going to be a winter 2012 to 2013 for me I am building the Corsair 50 right now.

John Redman 01-20-2012 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The next step was to install the main gear retracts. I am using the new Robart Electric units. These are available through your local hobby shop, Horizon Hobby, or Robart. The cool thing about these is there is nothing to do but bolt them in place. The model is designed around the pneumatic retracts as they have been the main stay of the industry for so many years. As we know air lines are a pain to secure in a wheel well for the most part. Hangar 9 has designed in some cool little brackets that capture and hold the air lines out of the way. You never have to worry about air lines getting caught up on a wheel, etc when the gear is up. For the electric installation, we used a dremel tool to open up these mini bulkheads so the wires could fit through and be held out of the way for the installation.

pic #1 shows the two holes for air line retention on the root rib designed into the kit.
pic #2 shows the holes in the mini bulkheads inside the wheel well to keep the air lines out of the way of the landing gear when retracted.
pic #3 shows the dremel tool being used with a small grinding bit to open up the holes into a slot for the wires.
pic #4 shows the mini bulkheads all opened up to hold the wires.
pic #5 shows the main unit ready to bolt in with the bolts next to it and some blue threadlock.

John Redman 01-20-2012 12:55 PM

I use the hand held battery powered dremel tool for most of my building. It is located here.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...85-_-DRE800003

I use the Carbide Cutter fine from Robart for cutting and grinding the wood. It is located here.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...4485-_-ROB464F

For those who are interested in the pneumatic version of the retracts, they are available here.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...N4485-_-HANP47

tlroliff 01-20-2012 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Really excited that there are going to be drop in electric retracts available from Robart!

John Redman 01-20-2012 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So with the mini bulkheads opened up to accept the wires we installed teh retract units. These drop right in as the model is designed to fit these retracts. Simple step. 4 bolts with some threadlock and a 7/64 ball driver for the 6-32 bolts and the unit was installed.

pic #1 shows the unit bolted into the wing.
Pic #2 shows the wire harness being routed through the mini bulkheads keeping it out of the way.
Pic #3 shows the harness being directed out of the wing. A 3 inch extension was used to extend the harness out side of the wing panel. You will note the heat shrink tubing over the harness to ensure it won't come apart at any time during operation.

Lifer 01-20-2012 02:43 PM

An interesting thread. I have about 6 H-9 planes including the older P-47. If possible, please avoid turning every other post into a product plug for your employer. No disrespect intended, but this is a thread on a specific plane, not an on-line catalog for your company.

Thank you.

mobyal 01-20-2012 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Lifer

An interesting thread. I have about 6 H-9 planes including the older P-47. If possible, please avoid turning every other post into a product plug for your employer. No disrespect intended, but this is a thread on a specific plane, not an on-line catalog for your company.

Thank you.

Well, I have a dozen+ Horizon airplanes, H9, Eflite, PZ, all the way from the Clipped Wing T'Craft to the PZ Wildcat. That's not counting the ones I've sold, one of which was the old 1.50 P-47. I also have this new P-47 on order (as do four others in our club), together with the electric retracts and other electric-specific items. All my radio equipment is JR.
John, I value your thread here, and am looking forward to following it through with you as it can only help when I get mine and start assembling. It's your thread, so present however, and whatever, you want. And since I intend to use all Horizon equipment w/ mine, including Horizon's recommended power system, I'll really be interested in how you install yours and as I said, it can only help to see it. If people don't want to follow this thread because they feel you might be too "pro-Horizon", by using Horizon equipment here, then let them go to some other thread and read about something else.
Looking forward to more info.
Thanks
Al

P47Pilot 01-21-2012 10:45 AM

John
I have looked at the thread and must say I am deeply impressed by this kit. This just keeps getting better and betterhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

Cheers