RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11116763-why-not-transport-your-fully-assembled-aircraft-field.html)

glazier808 06-15-2012 08:24 AM

RE: Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field?

essar dont get me wrong, I dont think its your cradle that will fail.

carlbecker 06-15-2012 09:12 AM

A long long time ago my father was driving down the interstate with my bicycle bungied on top of the station wagon. The bike went airborne, destroyed with no one hurt. I have ridden in the back of pickups at speed. I have put canoes on top of all sorts of vechicles very well tied down and driven long distances without lose. I used to carry a plane in the back of a pickup. Now I will not carry a plane to the field like that for a few reasons one of which is IMHO it is not safe. Another I believe it will shorten the built in timer on the airframe.

ESSAR 06-15-2012 09:12 AM

point taken.

ForcesR 06-15-2012 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Darn want a be engineers were right, wind turbulence finally ripped the wings offhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../omg_smile.gif</p>

pete236 06-15-2012 10:50 AM

I would be concerned that you would lose traction at speed. Be cautious at speed in the winter.

Just foolin'

bkfamily1 06-15-2012 11:54 AM

Yeah, man! If you go fast enough, I bet you could get your truck airborne!

da Rock 06-15-2012 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bkfamily1

Yeah, man! If you go fast enough, I bet you could get your truck airborne!

I believe he is carrying a scale Mustang and they had airfoils for long range, not lift. So he'll probably get better mileage without having to worry about lift off. ;)

do335a 06-15-2012 01:31 PM

It's a great system for exhibitionists.

What are you gaining by doing the assembly prior to arriving at your field? What's the point of risking your plane to damage from debris, sliding into the cab or tailgate, bouncing out of the box or otherwise being wrecked by doing this?

hellcat56 06-15-2012 02:49 PM

it is pretty obvious to me
he has not done any research on how to transport planes in the back of trucks

Here in the deep south we learned from experience
I have a few suggestions that he obviously left offmust be a beginner

First I see NO not one beer can
There are no tie downs or hand hold for the passengers in the bedhow unsafe can you be

if he would only listen to us the experts he would be far better off

you MUST have at least two girls to hold the plane down incase of sudden gust of wind
(I used this several times -just told the girls to keep there hands on the plane and dont worry about their tops coming off
Last but of course not least
Tell the wife the AMA requires two girls to hold the plane
its a requirement

Lest you think I dont know what i am talking about
I have used this system for about 4 years or in southern terms two divorces
it is almost fool proof-unless the wife sees the girls then get ready for divorce #3
If you will come home from time to time with broken parts she will believe you more
I would show you a photo of the girls holding the plane but the her attorneys have the photos

Ken41 06-15-2012 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Open trailer?

Ken

hairy46 06-15-2012 04:09 PM

Tried it with my Ford pinto with a Tiger 60, They took off when the wind kicked up! I had to go up in my umbrella chair to bring them back. Thats windy Wyoming for ya!

osxpro 06-15-2012 06:33 PM

Before I got a trailer in 2006, I used to do this all the time and never had a problem. I built a custom PVC cradle that held 3 planes in a staggered mount. I have an F-150 and the cradle was strapped into the bed very well. The planes road just fine even at highway speeds. They were all strapped in using long velcro strips. The trick was the planes road under the cabs slipstream and didn't experience any destructive effects on the planes. I did have a canopy fly off one time but no big deal. All my planes at the time were 40 - 60 size so the wings did not stick out past the side of the truck bed except my 60 size which rode on top. I did this for 3 years and never had a problem despite the 15 mile highway ride to our field. Heck, Our club ended up with several new members and lots of new spectators because people would stop me and ask me at the convenience store on the way out. They always asked where I was going. I'd hand them a flyer and invite them out to the field. It was fantastic advertising for our club. Kids would always shout at their parents to get closer so they could see the planes.
All in all, it was a really positive thing. The only problem was I was only able to transport three planes. As my fleet grew, I need a trailer to transport them. If it works for you, then wonderful

PTERODACTYL 06-15-2012 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

DUMB DUMB DUMB. The turbulence from the air flow off the car body puts unusual stress on this airframe not to mention every trip to the field is wind stress that we know will eventually cause failure. If you don't have the vehicle to transport, don't build and fly larger scale planes that need the appropriate vehicle. Disassemble if needed. Fly smaller planes that are safe to transport. NOT TO MENTION, anythiing that flies off this plane, or the plane itself could cause someone behind you to lose control, panic, or make a sudden change in lanes. And I can guaranty you WILL be responsible for any and ALL damages or have to live with someone getting hurt or killed dodging airplane parts.
There have been people killed from dodging couch cushions, mattresses, aluminum ladders, plastic buckets that fly off the back of vehicles. Can you live with that?
Thumbs up from passing motorists is false accolade! THINK. BE SMART! It's not worth a thumbs up to transport a balsa framework like this. It's a lose/lose proposition!
Not long ago a semi truck lost a drive shaft while cursing down I80. A car was traveling right beside the truck. The driveshaft flew through the car’s windshield killing the driver instantly. The passenger had to take control of the car to stop safely.

I wouldn’t do it and I wouldn’t want people looking at my plane in the back of my truck.

transatlanticflight 06-16-2012 04:15 AM

Thane has stumbled on the bigger issue here...Do you really want to drive down the highway and all around town advertising that you play with toy airplanes? Maybe get your bluebox pilot collection and pose them hanging onto the wings so they don't rip off...to complete the effect. Personally, there's nothing worse than having your toy plane in the back seat when you pull up next to some hot chick at an intersection...and you don't have a 12 year old son in your passenger seat. ;)

jefflangton 06-16-2012 04:32 AM

Planes on top of cars......not very smart. We also won't hear from these guys when they're scraping their aircraft from the freeway. Or from being re-kitted because servos or linkages were damaged. Might as well just put a spectrum in it and be done.

3136 06-16-2012 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: glazier808

ORIGINAL: 3136

ORIGINAL: A6TEXAN

I KINDA LIKE THE SQUIRREL IDEA MYSELF. :)
Yeah they could start their own thread and call it ''The official squirrel transport squadron brotherhood''
They could even get their own T shirts made[img][/img]
I can see your being all girly again...If your sour your not in the Spitfire Brotherhood, stop fly'n your miss america arf mustang (that your knocking others for having) and go buy a foamy spit....you can be the towel boy.
squirrels are okay..... you I'm not sure about
Casey
***??? Well glazier I never recall asking to be one of any brotherhood, I never owned a friggin spitfire so why would I ask anyway???
Why did you think my comments were directed to you? There are lots of threads with "official" and "brotherhood" are you paranoid?
I was merely making a remark in jest about how a squirrel squadron could have their own "brotherhood".
I neversaid anything about your brotherhood, thanks for your kind offer of towel boy, but you can shove that where the sun don't shine.
You may not be sure of me, but I'm sure what kind of an A hole you are.
Go out with your boyfriends and buy yourself a new handbag, that might cheer you up.

alanc 06-16-2012 06:18 AM

will you colonists please take a chill pill,

glazier808 06-16-2012 06:27 AM

lol the sun is always shining here in california..... but obviously not in the dank hole you've crawed from....

Hows about if you dont care for the threads here on RCU, instead of making fun of those threads and those members here on RCU that might be involved with of these threads. You go back to your shopping channel, go kick your dog, or whatever it is that makes you happy.

You've repeatedly shown your ***** here, and I'm sure thats not new to you. If you don't care for RCU and its members, then go choke on your ego somewhere else where the stink of your attitude doesnt effect the rest of us

handbags eh? Whats that? The last thing your wife beat on ya with?

Capt. Winters 06-16-2012 06:56 AM

How about those Bears. Capt. Winters

glazier808 06-16-2012 06:57 AM

"da Bears"

lol

deatonbt 06-16-2012 04:27 PM

Who hasn't had a teenage friend take a plane off of the road and chased it down the highway with the antenna hanging out the window?
- Brian

gphil 06-16-2012 05:59 PM

Ok I have read through most of these blogs so will tell what some of the fella here are doing.    Purchase a old used pop up camper trailer.  The canvas does not need to be used but can if still nice.  This fella stripped the interior of stuff not needed, built shelves, holding racks etc even in the top.  It is smaller than a regular trailer which lots use.  Smaller meaning in height.  Go to field pop the top up and have a small house to work out of.  Really a good way.  Like I say, after the day, just lower the top and head out.  Easy to pull etc.   gphil

v6goose 06-16-2012 07:13 PM

Personally seen it in action many times without issue and then enjoyed watching the glorious Mustang take to the sky...

Thanks Roger

Goose

Mk23socom 06-16-2012 07:21 PM

I think this has all gone on far too long..

mwhar760 06-16-2012 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-family: Arial; ">This was my solution to getting my 100cc. planes to the field!!! and yes it was a lot of work and i'm still working on it but it will be worth it in the long run!! it's a 5'x5'x10' mobile aircraft hanger!!! sure i could have just went and bought a trailer but this one is custom made and i can tell you for a fact that there are exactly 632 rivets in it at this time!!!! thank god someone invented the air riveter!!!!!</span>