RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New Build - Dave Andersen Ki-45 Toryu (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11203194-new-build-dave-andersen-ki-45-toryu.html)

F4u5 08-23-2012 05:32 AM

New Build - Dave Andersen Ki-45 Toryu

Fresh from the skunkworks of David P. Andersen, comes his newest desgin:

Now, my plan was to build a 10 foot Typhoon and finish up my 124 inch Mossie, but then Dave goes and offers up a new design that I have always liked....so my plans have changed:

From Dave Andersen's newest plans design, I will be building one of the 2-3 prototype Ki-45 Toryu (Dragon Slayer) - Allied code name "NICK" - Japenese fighter/bomber. The plane is to be of 120 inch wingspan, I will be powering it with 2 X G-45's using Mezjlik 20X10 3 blade props, Sierra gear. Jeff Micko will be supplying fiberglass nacelles/doors, cowls and nose cone. I know Jeff's glasswork is top notch.

The plans are a couple of weeks away from print. At that time, Dave will forward me a set for my winter build.

Dave will not be offering the plans to the general RC public until the prototype(s) have been built, plans corrected/updated as requried, and successfully flown. Of course, all of Dave's stuff flies superb, so I have no worries.

So, stay tuned, as I hope to have plans in hand and start cutting parts by the end of August....ahh that balsa sawdust smell!

Jeff

glazier808 08-23-2012 05:40 AM

RE: New Build - Dave Andersen Ki-45 Toryu

I'm in!

Casey

Ham639 08-23-2012 06:53 AM

Nice Subject.

F4u5 08-23-2012 07:07 AM

Chuck...I should hire you to detail it!

Jeff

frets24 08-23-2012 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very cool!

A pic for those who happen by that aren't familiar with the KI-45 "Nick"

Chad Veich 08-23-2012 10:19 PM

Looking forward to it Jeff!

F4u5 08-24-2012 03:46 AM

Ha:), Frets posted a pic of the very scheme I plan to do...what's the odds. Personally, I just never cared for the Japanese dark greeon over grey green cammo, and this scheme will be easier to paint. Thx guys

JEff

glazier808 08-24-2012 05:51 AM

Is it just me or does this thing resemble the Me 410?(not just the look but the design as well)

Casey

77chickenhawk 08-24-2012 06:13 AM

At 120" is it 1/6 or 1/5th scale?

F4u5 08-24-2012 08:03 AM

Roughly 1/5 scale. I see it Casey...guess the germans could not decide between that and the mosquito (Ta154)
Jeff

carlbecker 08-24-2012 08:41 AM

SWEET

F4u5 08-29-2012 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, now I am getting excited. I stopped by Dave Andersen's place last night and picked up a beautiful 7 page set of Ki-45 plans. As usuual, Dave's plans are clear, concise, easy to follow, and this time he also added some photos and detailing information (stencils, markings, et.) directly to the plans to assist the builder. He went out of his way to incorporate as many different scale options as he could, on the plans, for the various models of the Ki-45....Nice indeed! As I looked over the plans last night, I already have a good feel of the construction sequence I will use, and while it is a fairly large model, it appears to be robust and straight forward as far as building. I plan to start cutting templates and wood ASAP.

In addition: With Dave's molds, and Jeff Micko's handywork, I was supplied 2 crisp round polyester fiberglass cowls, 2 lower nacelles with scribed in gear door locations along with 2 upper nacelle fairings for the top of the wings (they slip/glue right over the engine/retract housing box, so no need to strip plank and sheet the nacelles on this beast), a solid fiberglass nose cone (balalst tray as required:)) and lower intake scoops. I also have windsreen/canopies, resin exhaust stacks, ABS flap fairings for the rear of nacelle area and tail cone. All will be available from Jeff Micko I believe. And, Dave even supplied some small scale details and stenciling, as well as he even made me up a couple of round cooling rings for the engine nacelles. Dave pointed out that on the Ki-45, the cooling rings hid the full scale cylinders, so no need for dummy radials on this scale bird.

I just ordered my Ki-45 main retracts, and Darrell (Sierra) plans to ship them out next Tuesday.

I will post pictures of the goodies tonight, and then it is off to start cutting template.

Thanks for this beauty Dave!

Jeff

Hot Rod Todd 08-31-2012 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I always liked the Ki-45, along with many of the Japanese Warbirds. It would be a good stablemate to my 1:5.5 scale Ki-61, another Kawasaki product. I'll be interested in how it turns out.
I think I'd have to break out the airbrush and go with the splotchy camo scheme.

furloughed ual 09-03-2012 07:45 PM

G45's ? 120" ? [:'(]

Time to step it up Jeffery. Put some ponies in that bad boy....that ought to run right up there with the Frankenschmidt being G45 powered :eek:

F4u5 09-04-2012 04:24 AM

[:-]

John Sohm 09-04-2012 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Is it just me or does this thing resemble the Me 410?(not just the look but the design as well)

Casey
You're kidding right? The only thing that the Ki-45 and the ME-410 have in common is that they both have two engines. I've had the itch to do a Ki-45 for several years and just never got to it. There's something about the lines on it that just make it look like a fighting machine. Performance was ok but not exceptional but it does look GOOD, especially with the splotch finish and home defense bands around the Hinomarus. Appears like it will be the later pointed nose version as opposed to the more rounded version. Can't wait to see this one. As soon as plans are out, I'd like to get a set. Kudos to Dave Andersen for coming out with another unique design.

Best regards,

Chad Veich 09-05-2012 12:18 AM

I'll definitely be watching this one Jeff. My absolute "dream" airplane, and one that I will do before I die, is the Ki-46 Dinah. The Dinah is about the only twin I find sexier than the Toryu. Well, it and the Tigercat but the T'cat has been done to death already. Looking forward to your build and hope to see it at WoTR in a year or two.

F4u5 09-05-2012 04:40 AM

Thanks guys. I like the Dinah as well Chad. I am most partial to the Mosquito, tho.

I have the templates all cut from the plans, so I hope to start cutting wood next week, as I have a fly-in to attend this weekend. I think I can have this one flying, in primer, by next Spring. If it goes well, slap some paint on it, do some more test flights, and get with Dave, and hopefully release plans shortly thereafter.

Jeff

Ham639 09-05-2012 06:13 AM

What? Flying in primer?

Son, you need to move back to Indiana and get that bird painted right:)

glazier808 09-05-2012 07:01 AM

Sounds like a IU grad there Jeff, I'd beware lol.

Go Boilers!

Casey

F4u5 09-05-2012 07:56 AM

OK Chuck...maybe someday.

Here's to Purdue beating ND this weekend.....in South Bend, no less!

Ham639 09-05-2012 08:03 AM

I'm good with that. Not a ND fan.

However my in-laws are . . . . I knew what I was getting into when I married her.

Looks like I need to find a fly-in somewhere this weekend.

Cheers,

Chuck

F4u5 09-05-2012 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an example of a plan sheet for the Ki-45.

Jeff

John Sohm 09-07-2012 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: F4u5

Here is an example of a plan sheet for the Ki-45.

Jeff
Very Nice. So we can look forward to something plan wise by next spring? That's excellent. Now I just need to work on my Macchi 202 and I'll be in hog heaven.

F4u5 09-07-2012 07:24 PM

Hi John, my hope is to get this flying for Dave next spring. After that I would guess by summer, at latest, plans would be available. I'll work hard[>:]

Jeff