RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Making your own color scheme, have you ever? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11301231-making-your-own-color-scheme-have-you-ever.html)

Mustangman40 11-18-2012 06:04 AM

Making your own color scheme, have you ever?

I have been looking and looking and looking for my trim scheme that I want to use on my TF GS P47 razorbackthat I am building and just can't pick one...
Have you ever done this, or thought about doing this, making your own scheme? I know, I know, don't yell at me to loud....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif
My thought is this and here me out.. I don't plan to compete with mine, just fly and have fun at different events... What if I took markings from several real schemes that flew in the great war and did a tribute to several of them with one aircraft? There are many that I like something on it, just not the whole plane.. If I did a schemetastefully mind you, of different markings and art, would it get me laughed at when I am at warbird events?
Lets face it, only the true scale buffs will notice that it's not "Scale", but neither is a TF GS P47.. The tail is wrong andthe landing gear are not right, just to mention a few...

Iknow it's my plane and I can paint it however I like, just wanted to here what others thought.. In myhead, the idea of a tribute to several on one planesounds respectful, if done properly.. But sometimes my head ain't right...lolhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

If you have ever done this, feel free to post some pics...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

Jimbo

aymodeler 11-18-2012 06:18 AM

RE: Making your own color scheme, have you ever?

I say paint it however you like!

I get the whole scale competition thing. That is certainly one way to have fun with the hobby. But there are other ways to enjoy too! I was impressed with a recent example I saw of a P-38 done up in a "fantasy" scheme of a captured German plane (with no hard evidence of an actual plane every being painted like that). As long as you keep it period correct, then you'll have a unique looking plane at the field.

perttime 11-18-2012 06:29 AM

My OPINION:
Don't go mixing several well known aircraft.

If you want to do something that didn't exist, make something that really didn't exist but could have if (insert some turn in history)...

This guy has done several detailed but fictional "what-if" variations of Heinkel's He 100 profile - an aircraft that was never in widespread use, in real life:
http://comradeloganov.deviantart.com/gallery/

I've gone for much less subtle variations on nonexistent aircraft models:
http://perttime.deviantart.com/gallery/

invertmast 11-18-2012 06:47 AM

Like the other guys said. Sometimes you can use that "what if" for coming up with period correct scheme's that are slightly different. Take for instance my HO-229. It only ever had one flying jet powered prototype and for paint, they basically used whatever they had laying around (green and light grey-blue). But since i'm modeling the V.3 prototype which could of been made into an operational fighter by the end of the year, i'm going to do a winter camo scheme. The plane was never operational, so I'm going to use an artistic representation on what I think it would of looked like based on other winter camo'd airplanes from the same period.

BobH 11-18-2012 07:28 AM

Lets take the Two most recognized Fighter Groups of P-47's in WWII. One is the 56th group. Very well known and very celebrated. Gabby Gabresky, Hub Zemsky, Dave Shilling et al. Most AC used RAF paints from the RAF depots. They were painted in camo patterns.

The other group was the 78th FG stationed in Duxford. These planes are the ones with the black and white checkered cowls. Early P-47's were razor backs. They were also painted with RAF colors but not in a camo scheme. Plus they were either plain silver or RAF Green and Sky unders and the Checker nose.

So as a "TRIBUTE" scheme you could paint a camo scheme of say Dave Shillings or Gabby's plane and add the Checker Cowl. I would work just fine. In fact most people woudn't even know the difference!

Mustangman40 11-18-2012 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: BobH

Lets take the Two most recognized Fighter Groups of P-47's in WWII. One is the 56th group. Very well known and very celebrated. Gabby Gabresky, Hub Zemsky, Dave Shilling et al. Most AC used RAF paints from the RAF depots. They were painted in camo patterns.

The other group was the 78th FG stationed in Duxford. These planes are the ones with the black and white checkered cowls. Early P-47's were razor backs. They were also painted with RAF colors but not in a camo scheme. Plus they were either plain silver or RAF Green and Sky unders and the Checker nose.

So as a "TRIBUTE" scheme you could paint a camo scheme of say Dave Shillings or Gabby's plane and add the Checker Cowl. I would work just fine. In fact most people woudn't even know the difference!

Bob,
I like the way you are thinking..............http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

race44 11-18-2012 08:33 AM

The most beautiful Warbirds can be seen on "Reno Air races.com" The big war is over, are you not sick of the same old tired P51s, Bear Cat, P47s ect, with the same old camo paint jobs? If you think olive drab and baby blue are cool, keep copying thousands and thousands and thousands of modelers, and paint your P 47 olive drab. Your on the right track, paint the most Beautiful airplanes on earth (American and British WarBirds) with a beautiful Paint scheme like the race cars, race trucks, race boats, 18 wheelers, dragsters, tractors, and anything else that goes fast like a Warbird. Your not hiding from the enemy, no one will shoot you down. Paint it Red, I'm painting my "Jug" with the Texaco Race scheme, maybe the Coors Silver Bullet thing, or maybe the " Red Bull racing colors, or maybe the "Red White and Blue Miss America" P 51" or maybe the" Rare Bear" colors, or I will paint my own schemes, Its my airplane, I built it, I paid for it, and I'm not copying a million others that are concerned about the right shade of olive drab. Why do you think they called it Drab? Here's where the Airplane Lovers hang out...."RENO AIR RACES" .....Proud owner of a customized P 47 E Lightning Bolt. Stay tuned For the " Reveal" This spring...RACE 44.....PS.... LIFE BEGINS at 400 MPH.

race44 11-18-2012 08:41 AM

The most beautiful Warbirds can be seen on "Reno Air races.com" The big war is over, are you not sick of the same old tired P51s, Bear Cat, P47s ect, with the same old camo paint jobs? If you think olive drab and baby blue are cool, keep copying thousands and thousands and thousands of modelers, and paint your P 47 olive drab. Your on the right track, paint the most Beautiful airplanes on earth (American and British WarBirds) with a beautiful Paint scheme like the race cars, race trucks, race boats, 18 wheelers, dragsters, tractors, and anything else that goes fast like a Warbird. Your not hiding from the enemy, no one will shoot you down. Paint it Red, I'm painting my "Jug" with the Texaco Race scheme, maybe the Coors Silver Bullet thing, or maybe the " Red Bull racing colors, or maybe the "Red White and Blue Miss America" P 51" or maybe the" Rare Bear" colors, or I will paint my own schemes, Its my airplane, I built it, I paid for it, and I'm not copying a million others that are concerned about the right shade of olive drab. Why do you think they called it Drab? Here's where the Airplane Lovers hang out...."RENO AIR RACES" .....Proud owner of a customized P 47 E Lightning Bolt. Stay tuned For the " Reveal" This spring...RACE 44.....PS.... LIFE BEGINS at 400 MPH.

YAT-28E 11-18-2012 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what a full scale P-51 did.... your on the path...

This P-51 is a celebration of our nation's armed forces. Every aspect of the paint represents those who have served, and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

The black cape covering the front of the aircraft represents the veil of protection that our armed forces give us. That veil is one of the reasons why we have what we have today, freedom.

As the cape extends to the back of the canopy, it spreads out and divides into feathers, symbolizing the eagle that has flown with every aviator since the birth of aviation in 1903.

The black paint has tiny sparkling stars in it, each sparkle represents an American Veteran that served our great country; the unsung stars in our lives. These veterans are the glimmering star in a mother's eye, a wife or husband's heart, a son or daughter's hope for the future.

The silver ring behind the spinner represents the shinning halo of the guardian angel who guides service personnel, having given the ultimate sacrifice, to their final resting place.

The black and white stripes on the wings are there, as they were on all allied aircraft on D-day.

The stars and bars, proudly displayed, represent the armed forces symbol that all United States fighter planes carry. It carries the post war version because "Quick Silver" was never a part of a unit till after World War 2.

All of the bare metal of this P-51 Mustang is polished. Look closely into the metal, you can see for whom our veterans fought.

Bill Yoak, an individual with a love and passion for this type aircraft did all of the metal work. The remanufactured parts are handmade. Unlike the hurried war effort parts, these are made with the skill and care of a master craftsman, and obtain the utmost attention to detail necessary to restore this Mustang to a condition better than factory new in 1945.

As this silver bird quickly streaks across the sky, let us not forget those who served, sacrificed, and gave their all.

God Bless America!!!

BobH 11-18-2012 11:28 AM

Me thinking? LOL thank you.

Sounds like a perfect solution:)

p51tom 11-18-2012 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done this several times. I like a color that easy to see like invation strips and checkerboard. P51 Tom

Ram-bro 11-18-2012 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
most of the ARF manufaturers seem to do this already and I couldnt tell an Arfer that it isnt a real scheme to save his life. I know when I get around the true scale guys they know the history of that particular airplane and fighter grp and pilot. I guess what I am sayog is that only a true scale nut would be able to tell you that aint real but for the cast of peasants, they will never know. I have a what if airplane......lets see if you can tell me the story behind it

brockettman 11-18-2012 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a commemorative scheme on my T/F Razorback...

Ben

Dash7ATP 11-18-2012 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

most of the ARF manufaturers seem to do this already and I couldnt tell an Arfer that it isnt a real scheme to save his life. I know when I get around the true scale guys they know the history of that particular airplane and fighter grp and pilot. I guess what I am sayog is that only a true scale nut would be able to tell you that aint real but for the cast of peasants, they will never know. I have a what if airplane......lets see if you can tell me the story behind it

I'm not real sure, but it seems to be going to the finish line with it's tail on fire!~ Very neat.

Dash

Instructor 11-18-2012 07:34 PM

:eek:Hi Mustangman40,

I don't know if you know this or not, but at the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio, there is a P-51 that took color schems from different flight groups and made one plane, the Sharp Shooter. This plane never saw combat in this color, but like you want to do, did it in honor of all the flight groups in the big war....

Larry

Check6 11-18-2012 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Hey Tony,
That's got to be Tuskeege fighter pilots transitioning to F 80's if the War continued,
Later,
Fred Menna Check6

PS you don't have much time left, Jedi student 9 days, 9 hrs. 34 min.. LOL

zipnz1 11-18-2012 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did my own thing on the last mustang i built. I took a paint scheme i liked and made my own nose art.

Ram-bro 11-18-2012 10:54 PM

DAng Fred....your Master jedi skills are killing me and yes your right as usual:D It is my "what if the war lasted another yr."

Mustangman40 11-19-2012 05:41 AM

Wow, I am glad to see I am not alone in my thinking.. Some great looking planes you guys posted, along with some great ideas... I was driving home from the flying fieldlast nightand thinking hard about this...

For years I have payed honor and respect to those from WWII just like all of us have, in a plane we did orthanking them any chance we had..

It has me thinking about the Men and Women in the NOW! They are doing the same thing are brave men and women did in WWII, serving their country for a cause not of their own.. Protecting America and the freedom we all cherish.. What about them?
I will spend some time thinking about this, as I am not ready for paint yet.. But the more I think about this, the more I would like to pay myrespect to this generation.. I know a P47 isn't exactly period correct, but why not..

Jimbo

Radical Departure 11-19-2012 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're not taking it to Scale Masters or such, nothing wrong with rolling your own scheme. Granted don't want to get too crazy or mix a bunch of attributes from several birds, but with a bit of mixing and matching can come up with something that looks good. In this case I took a foam Corsair, a bit of primer paint, some frisket paper, Testor paints and charcoal and came up with a pleasing-to-the-eye design. It doesnt represent any Corsair I've seen, but takes its markings from several other Corsairs to give it a nice look. Less was also better in this case... good markings should give the plane a certain 'balance' in appearance.

IFLYRC-RCU 11-20-2012 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do your own thing .. at the end of the day, it's what you feel the aircraft should look like. I rarely do an exact copy of an original color scheme.

I have a few that deviate from scale schemes, but like the look of a "plausible" marking situation. My old TF P 47 was kind of a beater.. but flew great and many folks at various fly ins complimented it .. obviously not a scale color scheme. But hey, flying by at 95 mph? Who knew ?? lol

Ram-bro 11-20-2012 07:54 AM

obvously not scale? whatever, looks good and scale to me. Nice work

scottrc 11-20-2012 08:44 AM

My 2 cents is go ahead and do whatever you feel like and have fun. This is a hobby and we are allowed to pretend and put ourselves in our own world. I have done my share of models if made up markings, in fact my current project will have made up markings because I cannot decide and find enough information on a planes that actually existed.:D

scottrc 11-20-2012 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: perttime

My OPINION:
Don't go mixing several well known aircraft.

I've gone for much less subtle variations on nonexistent aircraft models:
http://perttime.deviantart.com/gallery/

I have had an "experience" with doing just that, I once put the "Strawberry *****" markings (well known B-24) on a B-25.[:@] Hey, I was just starting out and thought who would notice, both planes were bombers, green, and had two tails. Boy did I get an earful from a few club members.

BOLTMAN 11-21-2012 04:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have taken some "artistic license" with my Hurricane and added the "Night & White" to the underside because I like it and added a Squadron Leaders Pennant under the cockpit because it adds a bit of colour and interest.

If it is a non-contest model I reckon do what you want but I like to keep it in character with what was done to similar aircraft in the same period.