RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11391611-top-flite-giant-scale-spitfire-arf.html)

dasintex 01-31-2013 08:57 AM

Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

1 Attachment(s)
Look what I found in the Spitfire Brotherhood Thread

http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0708.html

I was about ready to pull the buying trigger on the Giant FW-190 ARF, not that I'm interested in a Spitfire, already have one; but at the rate Top Flite is releasing Giant ARF's I am hopeful that a Giant ZERO ARF may be coming soon and that would be sweet and a plane I would get for sure!

vertical grimmace 01-31-2013 01:11 PM

RE: Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Nice to see this plane. Too bad it looks just like the little 2610 Scale combat ARF they have had for a while. I just cannot get past how terrible the plastic coverings look on warbirds. An ARC version would be welcome. But then the cowl does not look like it fits very well. That area could be improved it the top portion of the fuse was a solid transition to the spinner ring. Then have the fuse split in that nose area in front of the firewall so now big plastic cowl would be needed.

Ramstein44 01-31-2013 01:20 PM

Oh.. I was just talking about getting a Spit..I see a flip.[8D]

dasintex 01-31-2013 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Nice to see this plane. Too bad it looks just like the little 2610 Scale combat ARF they have had for a while. I just cannot get past how terrible the plastic coverings look on warbirds. An ARC version would be welcome. But then the cowl does not look like it fits very well. That area could be improved it the top portion of the fuse was a solid transition to the spinner ring. Then have the fuse split in that nose area in front of the firewall so now big plastic cowl would be needed.
Yup, I hear you; they did the same thing on the Hanger 9 60 Size Spit Cowl, also, for a Spitfire, it should be Brown and Green, Gray and Green; and Brown and Tan; not Tan and Green; at least the Monokote is Matt Finish.

I'm going hold out for a ZERO or go ahead and get the FW-190 and hopefully get the ZERO later if they release one, keep my fingers crossed!

kahloq 01-31-2013 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Why not consider the hobbyking 89" composite spitfire. Looks pretty decent actually.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

gear
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...l_Bracket.html

guns
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_1_Wing_.html

vertical grimmace 01-31-2013 04:13 PM

The HK does look pretty good.

I have always liked the Spitfire, and it may be a good distraction from the Luftwaffe. I may just end up getting a Top Flite gold edition kit. I really would prefer to build mine.

Ramstein44 01-31-2013 04:34 PM

I don't know..I've seen too many people get burnt by HK's kits, either through mistakes of their own or their shippers. And I'm still bitter about the customer support issues I've had in the past. However, I do like the two piece wing. I think I'd have to get more input from someone that has built it before considering one of their kits.

kahloq 01-31-2013 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

I don't know..I've seen too many people get burnt by HK's kits, either through mistakes of their own or their shippers. And I'm still bitter about the customer support issues I've had in the past. However, I do like the two piece wing. I think I'd have to get more input from someone that has built it before considering one of their kits.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792324

The plane is actually NOT designed by Hobbyking. The maker is called Vantex. They predominantly do 3D planes, but have started offering warbirds.

Ramstein44 01-31-2013 05:26 PM

Thanks Kahlog, I ment to say, kits sold by HK, not designed by and still, theres that customer service issue. You know I like to flip my ARF's and knowing the reliability of TF's kits, I think I'll just stick with them. Looking at that fire wall on the HK Spit, looks like it's designed for electrics and would need beefing up to take the DLA 60.

predman 01-31-2013 06:28 PM

Are you guys kidding me. Everyone ranted for topflite to offer their GS corsair in arf form and they did. Topflite did a really great job and it flies fantastic and yet there are the complainers. Now they are offering up a GS spit and there are already complaints and snickers? That plane looks fantastic and will fly fantastic. And for what you get in the box like a spinner ,cockpit, etc really steps it up. Just my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Ramstein44 01-31-2013 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok.. Anyway:eek:, here is the version I'm going with. I'm soo glad their releasing this kit as I almost purchased the Brian Taylor version just to make her.

Ramstein44 01-31-2013 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or maybe this one...:D

vertical grimmace 01-31-2013 07:48 PM

I always like to see a plane come to market, especially one that I like. I would prefer a kit though. IMO

rc34074 01-31-2013 08:32 PM

If they keep releasing giant scale warbirds preople will have trouble deciding which ones to buy and/or they won't be able to afford all of their warbirds and then maybe the GS Mustang and FW190 will go on sale like the smaller ones and I might buy the FW190 :) . I already have two of their GS Mustangs so I have enough Mustangs for now.

By that time there will be some very nice Chinese engines to put in them too, and maybe the chinese will have a price war and the engines will get even cheaper :). I can always hope anyway

Ed

Merlin Man 01-31-2013 09:24 PM

Hi,

To my knowledge,most spitfires with the 6 exhausts were Mk 9's. These in turn were normally coloured Grey and dark Green, not the colours show on this model.

I assume that Topflite have done some basic homework and produced this version as a copy of a full size aircraft with these colours ??

I agree with Vertical Grimmace regarding the fit over cowl. It wouldn't be super hard to make it flush fitting.

It is nice to see Topflite produce these bigger models but it wouldn't take a great deal to make them better. My 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
Merlin Man.

Hellcat716 01-31-2013 09:24 PM

I agree with you 100%. I love the Top-Flite GS warbirds and I think this model is well done. Would love to have it my hangar. Have the Top-Flite B-25,P-40,Corsair and the FW 190. All are beautiful right out of the box, no modification's required. If people do not like this offering, more power to them. They can build there own.

Ramstein44 01-31-2013 09:36 PM

I'm just glad I don't have to "build" one anymore; just modify it.;) I have to admit, this is going to be a pricy year with all the great new ARF's coming out. I also agree that ARF's are not for the perfectionist. It's going to be weird having an actual allied fighter in allied colors in the hanger...

alanc 02-01-2013 03:04 AM

As a british citizen, i have scanned the model, and declare it a good sports scale model, therefore, my country gives Top Flite permission to issue this large model to the colonies,http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif we will of coarse, require a tax payment for use of our national symbol of freedom, enjoy, TALLYHO, always wondered, when they declare BANDITS AT 12.00, what happens if its 2.00,http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif i see they have made a wise choice, by not making retracts available for this spit, but steering the buyer towrar robarts, have fun

jetmech43 02-01-2013 05:57 AM

still dont understand why they want put out kits of all these new planes for those of us who like to build

SWORDSN 02-01-2013 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: alanc

As a british citizen, i have scanned the model, and declare it a good sports scale model, therefore, my country gives Top Flite permission to issue this large model to the colonies, [img][/img] we will of coarse, require a tax payment for use of our national symbol of freedom, enjoy, TALLYHO, always wondered, when they declare BANDITS AT 12.00, what happens if its 2.00, [img][/img] i see they have made a wise choice, by not making retracts available for this spit, but steering the buyer towrar robarts, have fun
The last time that you taxed the Colonies didn't turn out well...... but I might pay it anyway

MANFRED 02-01-2013 07:00 AM

Turned out well for us!

JeffH 02-01-2013 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: SWORDSN

ORIGINAL: alanc

As a british citizen, i have scanned the model, and declare it a good sports scale model, therefore, my country gives Top Flite permission to issue this large model to the colonies, [img][/img] we will of coarse, require a tax payment for use of our national symbol of freedom, enjoy, TALLYHO, always wondered, when they declare BANDITS AT 12.00, what happens if its 2.00, [img][/img] i see they have made a wise choice, by not making retracts available for this spit, but steering the buyer towrar robarts, have fun
The last time that you taxed the Colonies didn't turn out well...... but I might pay it anyway

Now that right there is funny!! :D

But I will say that them crazy warm beer drinking brits designed a gorgeous aeroplane. It is not a Grumman Product of course, but it will do in a pinch!

smkrcflyer 02-01-2013 08:22 AM

I would like to see them put out a kit of this but you know it wont happen.

radfordc 02-01-2013 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: predman

Are you guys kidding me. Everyone ranted for topflite to offer their GS corsair in arf form and they did. Topflite did a really great job and it flies fantastic and yet there are the complainers. Now they are offering up a GS spit and there are already complaints and snickers?

Haters gotta hate! [>:]

gsmarino2000 02-01-2013 08:45 AM

Sometimes it's hard to understand why ARF builders don't make very small, inexpensive chagnes to make the scale models more accurate. Case in point here is the covering on the Spit ... looks like the same as on my P-40, which is correct for that plane. Regarding the cowl, very few ARF manufacturers get the upper portion of the cowl right where it bulges over the Merlin cam covers and then blends to the spinner. The P-51 is easier in this regard and most of them arn't quite right either.