RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Large scale Luftwaffe/Axis forum.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11400684-large-scale-luftwaffe-axis-forum.html)

Ramstein44 02-06-2013 09:39 PM

Large scale Luftwaffe/Axis forum..

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I wanted to start a forum where all the Luftwaffe/Axis builders can post curent photos and details of their large scale, 30cc+ projects. These can be "kit" builds or "ARF's" that are curently being "flipped" or customized..Not "ARF" or kit future projects

I've recently been building my Platt FW190A kit, in-between other kits and ARF's for the last few years while waiting for parts and so on. I knew I had to build it as many years prior, I sold it in kit form.. all to find it on eBay (not knowing that I had previously sold it to the gentleman). I'm currently working on a Topflite FW190A flip but I'm awaiting parts so I'm back on this for a bit. I made a few mistakes on this Platt FW190 prior but I have most of them fixed.

Personally, I prefer "kits" to "ARF's" anyday and take great pleasure in building them knowing mine will be different from the next.

Here are a few pictures of my progress. It's mostly built, just doing the fun stuff now. I'm debating on placing another access hatch for my switches or just installing them all under the hood. My fuel tank and air system have reserved places there already. I'm going real simple with no real details like all the beautiful birds I've seen built over the years but I may add some as I go.

I'm also still at a loss on scheme. So many variants to choose from.

glazier808 02-07-2013 05:17 AM

RE: Large scale Luftwaffe/Axis forum..

Great idea Ram!
<div>
</div><div>Casey</div><div></div>

gicosakro 02-07-2013 07:05 AM

Suscribed !

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good stuff..:D

Here is another project that too has been sitting on the sidelines to all the ARF's. It's a Holman/Don lien FW190D9 fiberglass fuse with wood wings. She's pretty detailed with panel lines and rivets. I started this one a few years back also but have started the painting. I wanted to have the colors on her this weekend but again, dopler has failed me...:)

This one I really enjoy working on and every time I got her close to being done, I seen something else I wanted to do.

TA152 02-07-2013 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good idea Ram :D

Here is my winterproject. 1/9 scale Junkers 290a5.

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 09:23 AM

TA152...That is really cool!!! WOW... I want to do a large twin but..WOW

Luft-Gangster 02-07-2013 10:21 AM

Subscribed

vertical grimmace 02-07-2013 11:28 AM

Great idea Ramm, I will have some pics to post in the future.

invertmast 02-07-2013 12:32 PM

It'd be awesome if we couls get a sub forum under the warbirds forum for just luftwaffe stuff. It sure would make perusing through to get what you want easier. Trying to find one luft thread stuck in between 6 billion P51/p47/etc builds is frustrating.

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just received the rest of my rivets for my Giant Topflite FW190.. Looks like I get to spend the next few hours placing them and then hopefully off to paint:D I had a really nice scheme for it but I couldn't verify the colors soo, I went with this one. It was faily easy as my Holman D9 will be similar.

vertical grimmace 02-07-2013 01:15 PM

Great scheme Ram. That would be awesome to have those two sitting together in the pits. If we could ever get all of our planes together, the P47's at my club would be shaking!

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 01:32 PM

That would be cool to see. [8D]

Me410 02-07-2013 02:02 PM

Hi Ram

Quick question on the Platt 190. I know his current short kit does not come with a full cowl, just a half shell.

Is yours an old kit that came with a cowl or is it a Bob Holman cowl, that I heard fits the Platt?

I am now working on the Platt ME109 and may build his Me190 down the road IF I can get afull cowl that fits, and hopefully the gun hood would match up too.

The Platt ME109 I guess counts as large, as a 30cc would be about right for it. But I am going with a big electric outrunner ( Scorpon 5525-225 kv) so I can spin a near scale prop. A three blade 20x12. I will send a pic of what I have built soon.

Thanks
Tom

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Me410,

You're correct, this is the Holman cowl but you will need to modify it for the gun on the hood to line up correctly by using part of the old Platt half cowl. You could always just use the Holman gun hood but just modifying it was cheaper for me.

You're lucky to have that Platt ME109. I want one and it does qualify as I know most are placing 30-46cc engines in them. Please post pictures.

wulf190 02-07-2013 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some for thread dressing ;)

TA152 02-07-2013 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After 3 years of building,my Platt Gustav is ready for paint;)
I have not decided how to paint it yet.

SrTelemaster150 02-07-2013 02:42 PM

I don't know if what I am planning for my TF FW 190 GS ARF qualifies it as customized or not.

I want to do as much detail as I can W/O stripping the film covering.

I inspected the camoflage covering job & I think I can feather the edges W/some flat clear & sanding. Then I want to break out my airbrush & do this scheme.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ps2c741726.jpg

Between the grapics that come W/the ARF & some trimming of the fuselage crosses to take out the black center, I can get that theme by combinig this decal set W/the TF markings.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ps7d85843e.jpg

Ranstien44 has inspired me to make functioning hood panels on @ least the top half of the cowl.

I want to do some film grade weathering, panel lines & rivets like what is described in these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFK5v...F69CF2ECAABA54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ec-B...F69CF2ECAABA54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm7TH...F69CF2ECAABA54

Motive power will be a 4-stroke radial running on CDI W/methanol fuel Either a saito 450R3 or an ASP FS400R5.

I'm utilizing Roabart full electric retracts, even the TW. I am going to mount the actuator in the same location where the TW retract servo would be located & use the electric retract control board sequence the gear.

I hope that is enough "customizing" to fit the criteria for this thread.

I picked up my ARF last night, but there is some shipping damage. Hobbico just sent me an e-mail & they are shipping me a new fuselage & cowl ring.

I hope they don't want the damaged fuselage back, they made no mention of that. The damage is repairable, but why should I have to do repairs on a $700 ARF.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ps7dcf39ba.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...psbaf018a3.jpg

As soon as I get the new fuselage, I will be fitting the electric TW retract actuator in the wing saddle to operate the mechanical TW in lieu of a servo.

SrTelemaster150 02-07-2013 02:47 PM

BTW: I'm sure @ some point I will be stripping the film to do a glass/paint finish, but for now, the covering job is nice enough to do a pleasing detailed bird.

1st major repair job & off comes the film.

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 02:50 PM

SrTelemaster150

As long as you "are doing" something; not "planning on doing something" other then slapping it together and making it look like the thousands of already slapped together "ARF's" of this version, then it's a flip, otherwise...I't's not in the right forum.

Right now, you plane is an "ARF" under construction. When you get to the modifications; that's what this thread is about. Current "kit" builds or "ARF" flips. The only reason I even mention my TF Giant FW190 is due to it being completely modified (flipped).

I do look forward to seeing all the things you change to it.

OVSS Boss 02-07-2013 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Count me guys, here is my project, Kondor D-9 that will be in JG 301 WkN 500666.

Marc

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 02:55 PM

Beautiful TA, another masterpiece to add to your fleet[8D]

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 02:58 PM

Wulf, envious is putting it mildly..[X(] Have you had the chance to fly that 109 yet?

SrTelemaster150 02-07-2013 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

SrTelemaster150

As long as you ''are doing'' something; not ''planning on doing something'' other then slapping it together and making it look like the thousands of already slapped together ''ARF's'' of this version, then it's a flip, otherwise...I't's not in the right forum.

Right now, you plane is an ''ARF'' under construction. When you get to the modifications; that's what this thread is about. Current ''kit'' builds or ''ARF'' flips. The only reason I even mention my TF Giant FW190 is due to it being completely modified (flipped).

Well, if I wasn't waiting on a new fuselage, I would be modifying the plane to accept the electric TW retract. That will take some engineering.

That will be my next post on here.

It won't be "slapped together", I've never had an ARF that wasn't extensively modified before it was all said & done.

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

SrTelemaster150

As long as you ''are doing'' something; not ''planning on doing something'' other then slapping it together and making it look like the thousands of already slapped together ''ARF's'' of this version, then it's a flip, otherwise...I't's not in the right forum.

Right now, you plane is an ''ARF'' under construction. When you get to the modifications; that's what this thread is about. Current ''kit'' builds or ''ARF'' flips. The only reason I even mention my TF Giant FW190 is due to it being completely modified (flipped).

Well, if I wasn't waiting on a new fuselage, I would be modifying the plane to accept the electric TW retract. That will take some engineering.

That will be my next post on here.

It won't be ''slapped together'', I've never had an ARF that wasn't extensively modified before it was all said & done.
SrTelemaster150

I think we're missing the point. We want to see you "doing" not "planning" to do something different to the plane other than what others are already doing. We want to see your “extensive modifications". I believe that electric retract is something of an issue on the TF FW190 forum already with those that are building that ARF. This isn't about future plans because if that were the case, I have several planes just like I'm sure many others here plan to build or modify.. Projects on the table right now; you could be adding a new screw to a build or flipped arf, repairing it or flipping it after the build, it just has to be current and not common.

The key to this forum is to separate the "builders" from the Plane Jane "ARF" builds. It's for current projects that are under construction or ARF's under "obvious" modifications. IMO, adding the stock setup isn't a mod.

Get your new fuse, strip it and change it up because that my friend is flipping..[8D]

Ramstein44 02-07-2013 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the TF FW190, I was only able to stomach placing about half of the required vinyl rivets to one wing side.. These are cool but I almost feel as if they’re more work than burning them in..
I’ll continue working on the Platt for now until I can handle doing the rivets again. My eyes are crossing.