RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood (All P-47s Welcome) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11591827-p-47-thunderbolt-brotherhood-all-p-47s-welcome.html)

acdii 08-20-2016 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by KaP2011 (Post 12247361)
I had that same problem recently with some Dymond metal gear servos, turned out to be that I had one of my receiver antennas too close to the servos. Once I re-positioned the antenna the problem went away.

Resolved. Looks like one of the servos is bad and is feeding back to the others. I replaced it with a spare and they all are working good now. Plane is ready for its maiden flight. Now to find out when the weather will cooperate. Just spent about 8 hours finishing up all the last pieces, and everything looks good.

bigstew60 08-21-2016 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First, I just realized that I never asked to be a part of the brotherhood so I am asking to be a part of the p-47 brotherhood. Second although this was intended to be a Sunday flyer, it just looked to much like a toy and it couldn't take it anymore. I had to give it some weathering and now she is complete..... Unless I decided to add rocket tubes.��
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2177831http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2177832

David Eichstedt 08-21-2016 08:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In-flight shots courtesy of Scott Anderson:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2177860http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2177861http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2177862

acdii 08-22-2016 08:38 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who left the door off the struts. The H9 ones look like they would blow off.

David Eichstedt 08-22-2016 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12249625)
Glad to see I'm not the only one who left the door off the struts. The H9 ones look like they would blow off.

They work fine with the stock struts. My airplane, however, has Robart gear & struts that have a different configuration than the ones that come in the kit. I will get them fitted in the next week or so.

chorner 08-22-2016 08:22 PM

Any chance Hangar 9 is coming out with a 60cc P47D ?? Love my Corsair, the 60cc Mustang and had to go Top Flite for my P47 fix. While I love the P47, the construction methods are just plain outdated compared to the newest H9 warbirds. The smaller 20cc size H9 warbirds were aweful and happy they discontinued them.... anyhow I know it's a P47 thread, and would just love to see a big Hangar 9 with a set of eFlite retracts (ditch Robart...)

sjhanc 08-24-2016 07:20 AM

Top Flite GS P-47 Razorback ARF

2 Attachment(s)
chorner, I got tired of waiting for a GS Hanger 9 P-47 and bought the new TF GS P-47 Razorback. Its design and construction is very similar to my H9 60cc P 51 D (monocoque/stressed skin), and its all up weight is 29 lbs with a P 360 electric motor and a 12s 2p 10,600 mah flight pack. And it has a battery access hatch on top as standard equipment. I am fine tuning the CG for a first flight this weekend and so far I can balance it by moving the flight battery. After the test flight period it will get a four blade Varioprop for a scale appearance in flight. It has plenty of room for an engine sound system but my experience with available sound systems causes me to wait for a system that can be heard in flight over the airframe and prop noise.

The only quality issue was a horizontal stab with a poorly installed fiber glass tube that came loose when the aluminum tube was inserted, but an email to Tower support got me a new set of stabs in a few days. The new set had the same tube issue, just not as severe and I was able to glue the tube in place and sand off the resin droplets inside the tube that caused the first stab tube to break away inside.

Not counting the Horizontal stab delay, It only took me 3 weeks to assemble this ARF and it is an impressive looking warbird in its olive drab film covering (which had very few wrinkles out-of-the box). And I have not yet started to weather it, or apply nomenclature decals.

I ordered it through a local hobby shop, who gave me the best price, (beating Internet prices and with free shipping). I ordered it with the Robart pneumatic retracts but somehow the Robart electric mains came with it, so I installed the electric set. The main wheel doors are a very good fit on this model and their mounting is easy to do and seems to be very sturdy (as compared to my numerous TF GS P-51 models). I have observed many of the TF GS kit and ARF D model bubble canopy versions fly and they all seem to be user friendly in takeoff and landing characteristics. My Razorback appears to have the same or very similar airfoil to the older models so I hope it flies the same as the older models.

A tailwheel mount is not supplied in the kit so you need to either order a retract unit or buy the fixed mount supplied with the older D model (not cheap to buy). Also, the supplied foam tired wheels are a tight fit (and are very narrow) so I don't know what after-market main wheels would fit the wheel wells.

I wanted to use different squadron markings so I found 2 different versions of Gabby Gabreski's Razorback online and used the markings of the plane he flew to get to 15 kills. I had to do a little repainting on the vertical fin and the engine cowl but it was an easy version to model. Most of the ARF decals could be used so all that is left is nomenclature and weathering, and I always do that stuff while flying it for the first 20-30 flights.

HoundDog 08-24-2016 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by sjhanc (Post 12250343)
chorner, I got tired of waiting for a GS Hanger 9 P-47 and bought the new TF GS P-47 Razorback. Its design and construction is very similar to my H9 60cc P 51 D (monocoque/stressed skin), and its all up weight is 29 lbs with a P 360 electric motor and a 12s 2p 10,600 mah flight pack. And it has a battery access hatch on top as standard equipment. I am fine tuning the CG for a first flight this weekend and so far I can balance it by moving the flight battery. After the test flight period it will get a four blade Varioprop for a scale appearance in flight. It has plenty of room for an engine sound system but my experience with available sound systems causes me to wait for a system that can be heard in flight over the airframe and prop noise.
rous TF GS P-51 models). I have observed many of the TF GS kit and ARF D model bubble canopy versions fly and they all seem to be user friendly in takeoff and landing characteristics. My Razorback appears to have the same or very similar airfoil to the older models so I hope it flies the same as the older models.

It has plenty of room for an engine sound system but my experience with available sound systems causes me to wait for a system that can be heard in flight over the airframe and prop noise.

I've used the first version of mrrcsound several years ago with 2 speakers. fairly loud. I have a version 4.1 with
a single TT-25 Transducer. With just the one TT 25 The plane is fairly loud making a low pass over the field. I have not installed another TT-25 as yet on the other side of the fuselage. That would double the sound. with another added card U ca have up to 4 TT-25's I'm would believe that would be heard on the down wind legg. The R-2800 Sound is Awesome. Mine has 5 different sounds plus different other added sounds like clear ect. If u have the extra channels for them. I'm planing to use 4 TT-25's on a GS TF P-47 that was electric and could have the whole set up ready to fly for $900. Wasn't flying electric at the time so I opted out of the Motor and Speed Control. Wish I had it now. HK and Motion RC have the board and 1 TT-25 for $119.99
Anyway mrrcsound has a newer version called the Aspire.
If U can afford Just the batteries for that set up a $160 awesome sound system is a drop iin the bucket.here is the URL.
http://test.mrrcsound.com/
Have an Awesome Day.

p.s. I also have a tt-25 in a 80" cub and just move the board from my foam P-47 to the cub and change the sound to something more appropriate. A cub with the sound of a 3000 HP Double Wasp just ain't right.

HoundDog 08-24-2016 10:57 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...1&d=1466589172http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...1&d=1466589104

OOOps forgot to tell ya Thats one he{{ of good look'n Jug.

sjhanc 08-24-2016 12:23 PM

HoundDog,
I bought and installed both the mrrcsound system and the Benedini sound system simultaneously in my 29 lb P-51B. For the mrrcsound I started with four TT 25 transducers, 2 in the fuse and 2 in the wing, and for the Benedini I installed the recommended speaker set in the wing plus 2 TT 25s in the fuse. Turning the sound up enough to be heard while taxiing out to the runway fried all all four tt 25s in the mrrcsound set. I bought four more and turned the volume down but they still fried. I then bought a new Benedini amp that has a speaker protection feature. This worked but the sound just could not be heard over the airframe and prop noise when flying. I bought 2 105 amp car stereo speakers for the Benedini for the wing, ran its tt 25s with the protected amp and the original amp drove the car speakers. In spite of the more capable car speakers neither sound system made more volume when connected to the speakers. I bought 2 more 105 amp car speakers and installed them in place of the tt 25s in the fuse, then connected the 4 speakers to my 105 amp RMS (per channel, 7 channels) home stereo system.

Let me tell you, it was strange hearing that much sound (loud rock and classical music) coming from a model airplane but the car speakers pumped it out and with no audible distortion, which BOTH of the engine sound amps produced when they were turned up near their max output. It was disappointing to hear the loud sounds go away when the engine sounds were reconnected. I also fed the 2 engine sound amp's output through the stereo system, then back to the speakers in the plane and was amazed to hear airplane sounds that were IN the sound memory but not reproduced by the engine amps connected directly to the speakers. I could hear stuff like the engine's valve lash and gear train noises and when I operated the gun sounds the mechanical noises the gun action makes in between shots is clearly audible. The gun and airplane noises were just like the sounds I heard when I flew in a helicopter during the Vietnam war and fired my M-60 machine gun in defense of the crew and helicopter.

After giving both brand's amps a fair trial I made the decision to go with the Benedini sounds system because of its ability to be easily programmed to start and stop in sync with the throttle trim lever. I tried but could not find a way to sync the mrrcsounds amp the same way. It started up when the battery was switched on and shut down while the model was still making the long taxi from the end of the runway back to the pits. I now know that an after market electronic switch can accomplish this, but I have already sold the unit on EBAY.

sjhanc 08-24-2016 12:49 PM

If you are interested, this video is an example of the best performance I was able to get out of the Benedini system driving two amplifiers and four car stereo speakers (105 watts RMS each, 6 lbs of speakers). The engine sounds can be heard at certain times when the airframe and prop noise is not dominant. And if someone cranks up an IC engine powered plane the sounds cannot be heard at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Oq1PpJolY

HoundDog 08-24-2016 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sjhanc (Post 12250433)
HoundDog,
I bought and installed both the mrrcsound system and the Benedini sound system simultaneously in my 29 lb P-51B. For the mrrcsound I started with four TT 25 transducers, 2 in the fuse and 2 in the wing, and for the Benedini I installed the recommended speaker set in the wing plus 2 TT 25s in the fuse. Turning the sound up enough to be heard while taxiing out to the runway fried all all four tt 25s in the mrrcsound set. I bought four more and turned the volume down but they still fried. I then bought a new Benedini amp that has a speaker protection feature. This worked but the sound just could not be heard over the airframe and prop noise when flying. I bought 2 105 amp car stereo speakers for the Benedini for the wing, ran its tt 25s with the protected amp and the original amp drove the car speakers. In spite of the more capable car speakers neither sound system made more volume when connected to the speakers. I bought 2 more 105 amp car speakers and installed them in place of the tt 25s in the fuse, then connected the 4 speakers to my 105 amp RMS (per channel, 7 channels) home stereo system.

Let me tell you, it was strange hearing that much sound (loud rock and classical music) coming from a model airplane but the car speakers pumped it out and with no audible distortion, which BOTH of the engine sound amps produced when they were turned up near their max output. It was disappointing to hear the loud sounds go away when the engine sounds were reconnected. I also fed the 2 engine sound amp's output through the stereo system, then back to the speakers in the plane and was amazed to hear airplane sounds that were IN the sound memory but not reproduced by the engine amps connected directly to the speakers. I could hear stuff like the engine's valve lash and gear train noises and when I operated the gun sounds the mechanical noises the gun action makes in between shots is clearly audible. The gun and airplane noises were just like the sounds I heard when I flew in a helicopter during the Vietnam war and fired my M-60 machine gun in defense of the crew and helicopter.

After giving both brand's amps a fair trial I made the decision to go with the Benedini sounds system because of its ability to be easily programmed to start and stop in sync with the throttle trim lever. I tried but could not find a way to sync the mrrcsounds amp the same way. It started up when the battery was switched on and shut down while the model was still making the long taxi from the end of the runway back to the pits. I now know that an after market electronic switch can accomplish this, but I have already sold the unit on EBAY.

Thanks for the In site to why U don't like the present Air Craft Sound Systems and the length U have experimented with them.
Obviously the audio is there on the Chip but the Unit/s lacks the sanctification of the home stereo system. Maybe the components of the home stereo system could be altered to be accommodated in a GS War Bird.
The other alternative is to GO GAS and Piss of all the fields neighbors. LOL.
May I ask what U did to get the sound files from the mrrcsound V 4.1 to play through your home stereo system.

HoundDog 08-24-2016 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by sjhanc (Post 12250437)
If you are interested, this video is an example of the best performance I was able to get out of the Benedini system driving two amplifiers and four car stereo speakers (105 watts RMS each, 6 lbs of speakers). The engine sounds can be heard at certain times when the airframe and prop noise is not dominant. And if someone cranks up an IC engine powered plane the sounds cannot be heard at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Oq1PpJolY

I see what U mean It certainly doesn't sound like a Merlin. Now this is a Merlin. Might be that it is Not in a Foam Plane. Now here is what a merlin sounds like . the first pass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk7wfRK5n0k

chorner 08-24-2016 01:33 PM

sjhanc, cool thanks for the info :) I do already have the Top Flite GS P47 bubble top, and I love that plane! I've got a radial engine in her (Saito FG60 R3) and it flies very well. I'm partial to the bubble top myself, though I do really like the magnetic hatch on the Razorback. However, that being said... I think Hangar 9's most recent 60CC warbirds take the Top Flites in construction and looks without a doubt.

As for guys with sound systems in their warbirds... it may be "cool" to have the plane setup with electric, but the amount of juice and the lack of flight time is a major deterrant. Plus it just sounds wimpy! :) But hey, to each their own. Either drop in a 4 stroke radial, or a 4 stroke single cylinder like a Valach 50cc, or a Kolm 50 or 60CC or a Saito opposing twin 60CC engine.

These larger scale models are too big and to cool looking to waste time throwing batteries in it. Although if you're going to go electric, the TF P47 Razorback is the one to do it in with the hatch at least!

acdii 08-24-2016 04:31 PM

If I could afford it, I would put a Saito FG-40 in mine and enjoy the sound, power and fuel economy. I have an FG-11 in a SIG T-Clips and it can fly that plane for up to an hour on 12 ounces. The sound is the best part.

sjhanc 08-24-2016 04:59 PM

HoundDog, All I did was to hook up the minicard's normal output (to its separate amplifier) to the AUX line-in jacks in the back of the stereo amplifier. The impedance is correct and the stereo don't know an engine sound preamp from a tape deck. The mini has to have its flight battery and switch harness connected to it for its own power. By turning the stereo power down to less than eardrum busting volume and turning the mini's volume control up until I hear distortion, then reducing the mini's volume until the distortion goes away, I can calibrate the mini's out put so it doesn't burn speakers when it is connected to the flight system.

I tried to buy some small stereo amplifier boards with higher power than the Benedini amp (40-50 watts) but the first one only distorted (impedance mismatch?) and the second one burned speakers as soon as it was turned on. That was when I decided to put the sounds on hold until the sound card manufacturers build one with higher power that will drive conventional high power speakers. The two amps I bought were small enough to hide in a .60 sized model and one had its own cooling fan built in. They both cost less than $25 including shipping, which is much cheaper than the Benedini amp.

I have a friend who works for an audio amp company, He designs and builds small audio amps for mobile personal sound systems and head phones. If I can get his brains on the problem I think my current speaker setup could really blast out the sound. All of the current model sound amps are aimed at small model, cars, trucks, tanks and ships. These models are usually operated in a quiet area close to the operator so their sound output is adequate. A large GS fast flying model warbird covers a huge distance in seconds. The airframe makes a lot of airflow noise at speeds faster than 55 mph. At my field the spectator area is 50-60 feet behind the pilot fence and the center of the blacktop runway is another 50 feet further away. Pilots have to fly beyond the far edge of the 40 foot wide runway so the plane's sound system needs to be audible at 120 feet (the closest point the plane and its sounds will ever get near the spectators in flight) and loud enough to be heard at much greater distances as it approaches, then flies away. I can fly my H 9 Mustang in a pretty tight pattern but it is always a long way from the spectators. I checked out motorcycle sound systems but they are expensive and I would have to throw away all of the enclosures they come with. As soon as a sound company puts out a powerful amp for planes I will be on board. I already have the Razorback on electric power and will soon buy another H 9 60 cc P-51D Mustang to convert to a "B" model and electric power. Both the razorback and the P-51B will have 4 blade props. I have found that it is actually cheaper to replace 2 broken blades of a 4 blade set than to replace a 2 blade prop that I currently am flying now. And with over 10,000 mah flight packs (10-12 minute flight time) and electric retracts my turn around time is faster than a gas plane can be aired up, refueled and dragged back to the runway to be started and launched. I can carry a second flight pack out with me and change it out as fast as I can taxi back and pull a magnetically held battery hatch. And so far, no gas plane has been able to touch it for speed, climb, and with a 4 blade Hamilton standard prop on it, realism of flight.

sjhanc 08-24-2016 05:29 PM

chorner, My brother is building a TF P-47 bubble canopy version and has fitted a Saito FG60 R3 to it. He also bought the Saito GF84 R3 but hasn't decided what to put it in. His other project is a 70cc gas four stroke he is putting in a H 9 60cc P-51D. I am waiting to see how his projects work out before I do something similar. I am leaning toward a Klassen Widowmaker, a 110 cc four cylinder inline four stroke gas engine for 45 lbs. plus airframes. There are videos of this engine on youtube and its sound is very realistic and comparable to the big radials being flown on larger models. The cost is high but within my means, adding a large airframe, radio, and retracts and $10,000 is what I am looking at. And way over $5,000 of it will be first to arrive at the crash site. Another option is a DA inline twin (around 100cc) two stroke gas engine that is much more affordable, but does not come with the 12 cylinder exhaust system and forced air cooling system of the Klassen engine. By the time I pay for the DA's twin muffler and build the cylinder cooling baffle system it needs, the Klassen doesn't look so expensive anymore. And the DA is a custom build-to-order engine.

HoundDog 08-24-2016 05:35 PM

Thanks for the explanation ... Looks like U have put a lot of work into a sound system already;

sjhanc 08-25-2016 09:42 AM

HoundDog, I checked out the Aspire amp, if it works as good as he says it might do the job for big planes. I am leery of the claims that salesmen make about their products so I will wait until I can hear a unit in action on a large, fast warbird. I once installed a tuned pipe-silencer on my ZDZ 80r powered 3D plane. It was dead silent in flight, only prop and a little airframe noise could be heard (3d planes don't fly fast enough to create airframe noise). At the time, I thought the plane would be a good candidate for a sound system to replace the missing chainsaw noise, which I hate anyway. The quiet pipe actually boosted the engines output by 80-100 rpm, which is quite an increase in power for an engine turning a 26-12 prop. On my property, I am always using a chain saw to clear downed trees and broken limbs after a wind storm and in spite of my using earplugs I find chainsaw noise highly obnoxious (the sound carries for long distances) and hate it when a distant neighbor is using theirs. I love the 4 stroke sound of multi-cylinder model engines but the un-muffled sound of a 4 stroke single is irritating to me. My brother's four stroke singles are too loud even with the mufflers they come with, but he likes them. I had an excellent performing Saito 180, I sold it to him because it did not sound at all like a real airplane engine.

I will eventually get a realistic radial motor sound into my Razorback, but I am going to let others do the expensive experimenting, then I will buy what works. When I started flying large electric warbirds, no one else in my area was doing anything I could reference for usable data. Now, everyone is asking ME how I get my stuff to perform so well.

HoundDog 08-25-2016 01:23 PM

I will eventually get a realistic radial motor sound into my Razorback, but I am going to let others do the expensive experimenting, then I will buy what works. When I started flying large electric war birds, no one else in my area was doing anything I could reference for usable data. Now, everyone is asking ME how I get my stuff to perform so well.
[/QUOTE]
I don't know much about acoustics, certinaly not as much as you. I'll PM you with my Phone number let's talk. PLZ

sjhanc 08-27-2016 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my new electric TF GS ARF P-47 Razorback on its first takeoff.
Photo by Mac.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2178543

chris923 08-28-2016 01:54 PM

There was someone in this forum, ( think from Australia) who was going to make cowls for the Hanger 9 P47 150 a while back. Does anyone remember who he was?

sjhanc 08-29-2016 07:42 AM

First flight for my TF GS P-47 Razorback Electric.
http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-252321.jpg

Cub_Boy 08-30-2016 07:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all in the P-47 Brotherhood!

Good to see the enthusiasm for jugs still high and all of the fantastic jugs , questions, tips and tricks you have been sharing.
I look forward to being able to get back to my jug projects and get back into the air with my favorite warbird!

Rick

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2178984http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2178985http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2178986http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2178987

HoundDog 08-31-2016 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chris923 (Post 12251832)
There was someone in this forum, ( think from Australia) who was going to make cowls for the Hanger 9 P47 150 a while back. Does anyone remember who he was?

Any wonder why Chris923 (Capt. Cluck) Screamin' Chicken Squadron wants a cowl. Looks like he needs New Landing Gear or at least a lot of repair too. Come on now Chris Tell us all how U broke your "It's Miller Time" Jug this last Sunday. Sorry about this posting "NOT".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2179069