RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite Giant P47 ARF cowl mount blocks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11616273-top-flite-giant-p47-arf-cowl-mount-blocks.html)

JAYNC 04-20-2015 02:03 PM

Top Flite Giant P47 ARF cowl mount blocks

Ok so after flying my P47 arf for over a year my cowl mount blocks are all destroyed. During one flight they all pretty much shattered. I have been on the phone with hobby services and you cant buy the cowl mount blocks for the arf. I dont have templates to make my own either. If anyone has this plane and could send me one upper block and one lower block so I can make a template I would really appreciate it. I would send them right back. I think its absolutely ridiculous that you cant buy a high wear item like that on this plane. Also if you have this plane and havent built it yet I highly encourage you to make a template of the mount blocks. Thanks

chris923 04-20-2015 03:05 PM

Just make some out of hardwood blocks and epoxy them to the firewall. Hobby Services has never had small item from Arfs for sale.

raptureboy 04-21-2015 06:46 AM

That's what you do with the kit version. Time to start becoming a real RC modeler :eek:

JAYNC 04-21-2015 12:14 PM

Yeah well the kit version of cowl mounting is way easier than the arf. The cowls are different sizes and theres nothing even close to the same as far as the kit and arf go. Maybe one day I'll be a real modeller like you and can build cowl mount blocks without even knowing the shape. I dont know why people even post rude comments. Oh I know why because its online and you arent in front of me.

JAYNC 04-21-2015 01:32 PM

Whatever, I never asked how to make them. I will make them but if you look at post 1 all I asked was if someone had some mount blocks I could use for a template. Its not that I cant make them or dont know how to make anything. I just didnt feel like going through all the hassle for an arf if I could just measure an exact part and build new ones. Wow people mustve woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Sorry to burden you and make you post in a thread that you dont have to reply to.

chris923 04-21-2015 05:51 PM

The one thing I learned about modeling years ago was; there are many ways to fix the problem.............just pick a way and do it!

Jaync, look at the problem and devise your own solution...................that's what all modelers do.

Lifer 04-22-2015 01:13 AM

JAYNC,

Sad that you are treated like this, but if you are still following the thread, you might contact Hobby Services and see if they can pull the parts you need from a plane they have been cannibalizing for parts. The assembly manual has a phone number of (217) 398-0007. I might recommend that once you get these mounts you scrape the glue out of the inside corners and then add tri-stock to the inside corners for additional strength.

Best regards.

Illigitimi, non carborundum.

dmyers0403 04-22-2015 05:27 AM

Thanks to JAYNC for a proper and decent response.

Stone17 04-22-2015 05:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Building a TP GS P-47 ARC right now. I still have to beef up my cowl mount blocks.

Check out the attached PDF for the template. The PDF is to scale. Just print to 1:1 scale and should be good.
The small block in on top and the larger block in the bottom one.

JAYNC 04-22-2015 05:46 AM

I appreciate your help. i plan on building all new ones and will use the template. The stock blocks are very weak. Now I know to build them out of quality plywood. Thanks for the reply

Stone17 04-22-2015 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No problem.

I still had the two block in my car. Been meaning to make new one but waiting on a motor first.

SWORDSN 04-22-2015 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stone17 (Post 12026835)
Building a TP GS P-47 ARC right now. I still have to beef up my cowl mount blocks.

Check out the attached PDF for the template. The PDF is to scale. Just print to 1:1 scale and should be good.
The small block in on top and the larger block in the bottom one.

Glue is not enough add small screws,mine kept breaking loose until I added reinforcing blocks and screws

Stone17 04-22-2015 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by SWORDSN (Post 12026849)
Glue is not enough add small screws,mine kept breaking loose until I added screws

I was going to epoxy some wood inside of the blocks.

scoobiemario 04-22-2015 06:48 AM

Glue hardwood blocks into the mounts and tap them for 1/4 x 20 nylon bolts. Paint nylon bolts to match cowl. They won't vibrate out, and blocks will last.

Lifer 04-22-2015 07:03 AM

Ditto on the nylon bolts. I used 10-32 and they have proven adequate.

radfordc 04-22-2015 08:40 AM

Some people must think that being an "ass" is being helpful?

SWORDSN 04-22-2015 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by radfordc (Post 12026958)
Some people must think that being an "ass" is being helpful?

Yeah I agree!

Todd D 04-22-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lifer (Post 12026765)
JAYNC,

Sad that you are treated like this, but if you are still following the thread, you might contact Hobby Services and see if they can pull the parts you need from a plane they have been cannibalizing for parts. The assembly manual has a phone number of (217) 398-0007. I might recommend that once you get these mounts you scrape the glue out of the inside corners and then add tri-stock to the inside corners for additional strength.

Best regards.

Illigitimi, non carborundum.

About 4 years ago when I got mine and the mount blocks fell apart after about 5 flights I called Tower and they sent me a new set free of charge.

baldhead_williams 04-22-2015 09:19 PM

Thanks JAYNC and Stone!!!!! I really needed that,,,,,

Lifer 04-23-2015 01:16 AM

Please don't throw me under the bus! I offered help!

JAYNC 04-23-2015 01:55 AM

I appreciate all that have "helped" and contributed to this thread. I never thought in a million years I would be ridiculed for asking to borrow some mount blocks. At least around here I know that people in this hobby help each other as much as we can. Not sure why others dont see it that way. Again thanks guys and happy flying.

SWORDSN 04-23-2015 04:10 AM

Those guys would never have the nerve to say that face to face. Learn and share is what RCU is about

Lifer 04-23-2015 05:06 AM

Next time you confront one of "Experts", request they post a video of them flying....

radfordc 04-23-2015 05:08 AM

If you are in a social group face to face, rudeness and aggression are dealt with appropriately. Only on the anonymous internet to people treat others with such disrespect and become "bullies". I think it makes them feel somehow better about themselves?

One problem is that we all want to respond to them like we would if they were with us, which is a total waste of time and effort. No amount of education seems to help.

airega1 04-23-2015 05:33 AM

Hey OZ you remind me of someone who takes off and 3D's for 10 minutes in one spot, not realizing how freakin boring that is, I think you need a good steak on the Barbie.

Originally Posted by Peter_OZ (Post 12026540)
so make the bloody things and stop acting like a 12 year old. If you can't sort a basic thing like that you have no business playing with large models.

Perhaps the playstation is more your speed.