RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top RC Zero from Gator R/C (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11624026-top-rc-zero-gator-r-c.html)

darod07 08-14-2020 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Didier (Post 12624508)
Nice flight. What prop did you have in the last video? How much Flaps did you use?

It was my new Biela semi 22x12. I used half flaps only due to wind.

darod07 08-14-2020 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Didier (Post 12624510)
Looks awesome! Is that red fillercap scale?

I wish it is....unfortunately I didn't find any clear picture showing this detail.

mackone 08-14-2020 02:51 AM

Hey Darod
Are you going to fill the drop tank with expanding foam ....mine is really thin walled I think if I dropped it there would be some major cracks.
Loved the video... its winter here and we are locked in.... its nice to see you enjoying the Zero.
cheers
Pete

darod07 08-14-2020 04:31 AM

Hi Pete,
Expanding foam that's really good idea, will go for it.
Is that mean is such a cold you can't fly? I've been to Melbourne during winter...was much warmer then here in Europe

mackone 08-14-2020 05:30 AM

Hi Darod
Well its been a wet winter but we are not aloud to fly at the moment due to Covid, in Melbourne we are confined to the house for 5 more weeks.
So go fly and post more videos and have fun Ok.
cheers
Pete

Didier 08-15-2020 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by darod07 (Post 12624514)
It was my new Biela semi 22x12. I used half flaps only due to wind.

It looks good!
A friend made a video of my flight today. I will share it when it is finished

Didier 08-16-2020 10:22 AM

My yesterday's flight with the Zero.

darod07 08-16-2020 11:13 AM

Very nice video! Good camera man and excellent pilot. Zero looks awesome in the air.

Didier 08-16-2020 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by darod07 (Post 12625036)
Very nice video! Good camera man and excellent pilot. Zero looks awesome in the air.

Thanks!

BobH 08-16-2020 11:52 AM

top rc zero

Nice looking flight! Congrats.

mackone 08-16-2020 03:07 PM

That was Awesome Didier......I had the volume on full it was like I was there.

darod07 09-01-2020 01:30 PM

Recent flight of my Zero....
I didn't reinforce my drop tank with expanding foam yet. However, after few jettions on to the grass there is no even scratch on it.

darod07 09-06-2020 06:29 AM

Regret to inform that my zero is grounded now due to engine failure....plane is ok, just engine. For failure description I switch to other thread:

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas...l#post12629904

Buzz68 10-13-2020 12:32 PM

I have just taken delivery of my Zero and will be fitting a Saito 90R3. I have read with much interest the various problems that people have faced with over heating.
I shall installing baffles as close to the engine as I can, remove the cowl mounting ring in favour of separate mounting brackets and open out the cowl flaps.
My intention was to use a Keleo exhaust too, but seen as this will further impede air flow out of the cowl, I'm now thinking that the separate flexi exhausts that came with the engine might be better.
Has anyone else moved away from the Keleo and if so did it make much difference?

Buzz68 10-13-2020 12:38 PM

Looks like you have done all the things I've done.
1. Baffles just behind the centerline of cylinder (your gaps about like mine)
2. Open cowl flaps (you did more than me)
You have lots of oil coming out the bottom. It appear to be rich enough. Could you richen a bit more. Are you 15:1 on oil mixture?
What prop? What exhaust?
What are your rpms like on the ground and in to air? 6000 on ground for me, no more than 6700 after unloading in air.
Does the temp come down as you come off throttle? Sometimes I'll hit 240F at full throttle. Average running temp is around 220F
Was it a really hot day? I tend to run above my averages on hot days. 80 degrees and above.
Just some thoughts.

jim
Hi Jim,
Have you experimented with the standard Saito flexi exhausts on your Zero in place of the Keleo to see if it helps with improved airflow through the cowl?

jimkron 10-13-2020 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Buzz68 (Post 12638134)
Looks like you have done all the things I've done.
1. Baffles just behind the centerline of cylinder (your gaps about like mine)
2. Open cowl flaps (you did more than me)
You have lots of oil coming out the bottom. It appear to be rich enough. Could you richen a bit more. Are you 15:1 on oil mixture?
What prop? What exhaust?
What are your rpms like on the ground and in to air? 6000 on ground for me, no more than 6700 after unloading in air.
Does the temp come down as you come off throttle? Sometimes I'll hit 240F at full throttle. Average running temp is around 220F
Was it a really hot day? I tend to run above my averages on hot days. 80 degrees and above.
Just some thoughts.

jim
Hi Jim,
Have you experimented with the standard Saito flexi exhausts on your Zero in place of the Keleo to see if it helps with improved airflow through the cowl?

Hey,
I've only used the Keleo. First on my FG84 and now on the FG90. Stock exhaust should be fine. To me, it's more about the sound than power. As far as airflow, I have had no problems once I baffled correctly and opened the cowl flaps. I use ethanol free Sunoco Optima 95 Octane, Unleaded Racing Fuel in 5 Gallon Pails. Also, I use Klotz oil for RC engines mixed at 15:1.
But the most important thing is this...don't over-rev the engine. 6000 on the ground...6500 unloaded in the air...not the 6700 I quoted above. My Zero does not appear to go faster above 6500rpm...so why risk blowing up a $1500 engine to squeeze a few more revs out of it. On my Zero's FG 84 I don't pressurize the fuel tank by running a tap off the Keleo exhaust. Guru Ray English is always telling me I should. According to him, it keeps the engine from leaning out during certain maneuvers. I need to do this. Just being lazy.
We flew the Zero last weekend after 6 months in the garage. I hit it with the starter. Pop. Started right up. After warm-up to 130f, we hit 6000 rpm and 1000 idle. The rest of the day were all one-flip hand starts. Engine temp never went above 212 degrees F...on a fairly warm day.
On a side note, we flew my Saito FG 57 twin the other day. Fairly hot outside. Temp hit 240-250 at high rpm. Hmmm. Landed and richened the high end needle an 1/8th of turn. Temp never went above 218. Just a little turn and no real notice of speed change. You don't want to foul the plugs but don't be afraid to run a tiny bit rich.

jim

ps. On my FG84 and 90, Ray repositioned the magnets on the hub to change the timing slightly. It's basically a hub swap. Takes him less than a half hour. This timing change makes it start better, idle better, and transition better. JUST DON'T OVER-REV THE THING!

mackone 10-13-2020 03:34 PM

Hey Buzz

This guy is running a Saito fg90 in his Oscar with the standard pipes but cut to different lengths.
Which could work on the Zero

Buzz68 10-14-2020 03:37 AM

Hi Mackone,
Thanks for sharing that.
I have offered the cowl of the Zero over the engine with the collector ring on and it will definitely act as an air dam impeding flow.
My thoughts with the flexis is that I can route them to minimise any restriction to the flow of the cooling air.
I will be fitting temperature sensors to the model, so can try a back to back test with and without the Keleo, if it's not too much of a hassle.
I will try to keep the flexi pipes all the same length though as the length affects cylinder back pressure and therefore mixture.

Buzz68 10-14-2020 09:22 AM

Hi Didier,
I'd very much like to see how you made the sliding canopy.
Cheers

Buzz68 10-14-2020 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by drorso (Post 12540022)
Hi Mike,

We have 3 Zeros on the way. Can you elaborate on both structural failures, including pictures and where do you suggest to reinforce?
Has anyone else experienced these failures?

Thanks, Dror.

What reinforcements did you make to the wing tubes?

Hot Rod Todd 10-14-2020 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Buzz68 (Post 12638292)
Hi Didier,
I'd very much like to see how you made the sliding canopy.
Cheers

Go to post 111 in this thread, you can see how I did it. Very easy.

mackone 10-21-2020 02:25 AM

Hey Ive got my engine mounted.....finally and the baffles in.
How are you guys monitoring the revs in the air ?

cheers
Pete

darod07 10-21-2020 03:13 AM

I use Spektrum receiver with bulid-in telemetry. I set an alarm warning in case RPM's gets close to max allowable - 7000RPM in case of Saito FG 90. However I never reached this with Biela propeller.

mackone 10-21-2020 04:43 AM

Thanks Darod
Did you have to buy a rpm sensor ?
Or can you plug the rpm wire from the Saito into the spektrum receiver?

darod07 10-21-2020 05:12 AM

I use Evolution telemetry RPM adapter which came with my previous gasser... That time I was using Spektrum TM1000 telemetry module. Had some issues with rpm reading (lost readout after increase of rpm). I remember that I tried to plug rpm cable to TM1000 module directly from engine - it worked few minutes only and then module went silent.... Since that time I always use adapter.