RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TopRc F4U Corsair assembly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11676322-toprc-f4u-corsair-assembly.html)

CK1 09-19-2021 01:07 PM

Ruizmilton , I did get your email and responded to it requesting the other pictures you said you have and about pricing . Did you not get my email ?

claudebrifflot 09-19-2021 01:18 PM

Ruizmilton
another photo, the wing is finished. I have no interest with this story, I tell you what was done as modifications, if you are reassured it's good otherwise I don't care, on the other hand I understand the anger of those who bought the first version of the corsair.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e37d0b2263.jpg

Ruizmilton 09-19-2021 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by CK1 (Post 12695140)
Ruizmilton , I did get your email and responded to it requesting the other pictures you said you have and about pricing . Did you not get my email ?

I donít recall getting a response, still no worries, the complete explanation of what is the process to modify the wing is in the email, the pictures of the formers were included on it as well, there were a couple of pictures I did not have with me when I sent the email, they have already been posted on this thread. If there is something that is not clear let me know.

Thanks

Ruizmilton 09-22-2021 02:59 AM

Can any of the guys using a Saito FG 90 share the size of standoffs that you used? I’m done with the building if the airframe, servos and rigging, moving to engine installation next and need to know the size of the standoffs.

Thanks

BASHER 09-26-2021 02:15 AM

im going a differant route with using expandable foam for the center section....may back the original spar with 4ply birch but i'm thinking consolidate all the air space and voids to act as 1 solid unit! not the entire center section just whats needed,i'll put tubes in for my wiring and block off where i dont want the foam to penetrate then put a few venting holes so excess has somewhere to go rather then blow the skins off the ribs and other structure, they sell high density 2 part foam for use in setting deck posts in the ground.

gpman 09-26-2021 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BASHER (Post 12696046)
im going a differant route with using expandable foam for the center section....may back the original spar with 4ply birch but i'm thinking consolidate all the air space and voids to act as 1 solid unit! not the entire center section just whats needed,i'll put tubes in for my wiring and block off where i dont want the foam to penetrate then put a few venting holes so excess has somewhere to go rather then blow the skins off the ribs and other structure, they sell high density 2 part foam for use in setting deck posts in the ground.

I think this will make the center section very heavy, and the foam will not add any strength to the stucture. For the skin yes but nog for a overall strength i think.

Geoff

tevans55 09-26-2021 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BASHER (Post 12696046)

I did that on my 85Ē ESM Corsair and it worked great! Still flying today. Heavier yes...but not enough to hurt flight characteristics. I doubt you will notice any difference. Bonds to the frame really well! Go for it!!!

BASHER 09-26-2021 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by gpman (Post 12696116)
I think this will make the center section very heavy, and the foam will not add any strength to the stucture. For the skin yes but nog for a overall strength i think.

Geoff

well 12oz is 12oz regardless if its feathers or lead and all weight is at or infront of cg! and this thing calls for alot of ballast to balance,although its not upfront in the cowl its still forward of cg.... my opinion is filling a empty void that does nothing to consolidating the whole center section and tieing all formers and ribs as 1 solid unit definetly will spread the load, but i'm still researching at this point.

fw190 09-30-2021 10:14 AM

I have the TopRCModel Zero and Corsair, both I had to fix some kind of spar issues. I was hoping TopRCModel ARFs last longer than plastic covered ones but they do not IMHO. They make beautiful ARFs but I will never ever buy any more of them.

sgrady 10-28-2021 09:59 AM

I have one as well and would be interested in seeing how that works, or the other fix. Also did anyone put a radial in this thing ? I seen the Moki's on youtube but those are hard to find.

BASHER 10-29-2021 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by sgrady (Post 12700370)
I have one as well and would be interested in seeing how that works, or the other fix. Also did anyone put a radial in this thing ? I seen the Moki's on youtube but those are hard to find.

i went away from the expanding foam and cut back 4 ribs to accept 2 sets of 4ply birch cut everthing out on the table saw a total of 6 pieces, they run from lower bend in gull to the entire center section with each butt joint or splice being covered with another full piece, used a combo of hysol and 45min epoxy,then i'm backing each side of ribs 1 cut with hardwood triangle stock then strips of CF cloth and resin to tie the skins into the spars along with the landing gear mounts......lotta work but rather do it now then later,i'll try and post pics, so i ended up with 12 ply birch spar

BASHER 10-29-2021 02:35 AM

and yes im installing a ums 5 cylinder 100cc

BASHER 10-29-2021 02:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pics