RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite 1/5 scale P-51D w/flight stabilizer question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11679837-top-flite-1-5-scale-p-51d-w-flight-stabilizer-question.html)

jstanton 06-19-2020 07:41 PM

Top Flite 1/5 scale P-51D w/flight stabilizer question

I have a Top Flite P-51D that I am almost finished with with a RCGF 56 for power. I am thinking about adding a Cortex Demon or PowerBox iGyro 3xtra gyro to smooth out the take offs and landings. Has anyone out there used one of these and which one is best for a 56cc gas engine powered war bird.

Thnaks

Jim Stanton

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a7743fc778.jpg

Chris Nicastro 06-20-2020 10:34 PM

Have you flown this Mustang or any just like it before?
This model is known to be very stable and straight forward, I won’t say easy, to take off and land if you have war bird experience. I totally loved mine and practiced with it a lot just doing touch and goes. The only thing that makes this plane challenging is the stiffly sprung struts. I changed my springs to a two stage set up to absorb the I initial touch down bounce that is typical with even the best landings and pilots. Don’t fly it like an IMAC sport plane and anyone will be fine.
The rudder should be set up with max travel so you have as much control as possible. You can add exponential to the stick to soften up the control mid stick. I use 25% typically but adjust as needed per plane. You shouldn’t need any additional electronic aids on this model.
Another tip that will help on the runway is to get the axles out further ahead of the wing by shimming the back of the retract mounts. This will help it track better and lessen the nose over tendencies. Then add about 1 to 2 degrees of toe out on the main wheels.
If you do all of these tweaks to tune it up I will guarantee your Mustang will track and behave on the runway. (I’m taking the chance you have not set up your plane like this just based on the photo)

jstanton 06-21-2020 03:37 AM

Chris,

Thank you for your reply and info. I have flown other war birds before like a 50cc P-40 and P-47. My P-40 torches to the left and I have to stay on the rudder a lot on take offs and my P-47 is very stable. I have fiber glassed this P-51D so it is a little heavier then normal and I have made to refinements you mentioned.

I have been hearing how a Cortex or Powerboard Gyro makes the take off and landing very smooth. So I wanted to see if anyone out there that flies War Birds has used one and if it was worth the extra money on installing one.

BarracudaHockey 06-21-2020 03:54 AM

Interesting question and the answer is yes and I fly and have full confidence in both the Cortex and IGyro

Neither are going to let you jam the throttle and take off straight so proper warbird takeoff and landing technique is still required but yes they help out a lot.

jstanton 06-21-2020 04:02 AM

Will the Cortex handle the vibration of a 56cc gas engine without any issues. I know the cheaper ones only seem to work with electric power planes. I am think on getting the Cortex demon not the pro because I really just want it to help on the take offs and landing in cross winds.:confused:

BarracudaHockey 06-21-2020 04:06 AM

Yes, they need to be mounted properly but it's not an issue, we fly them in gassers all the time.

jstanton 06-21-2020 04:08 AM

Thank You I will be ordering the Cortex Demon for my P-51D. If It works I my be getting a few more for my other 50cc War Birds.:rolleyes:

jstanton 06-21-2020 07:27 AM

I see there are two Cortex Demon's. The standard and the pro. What is the difference and for what I want one for do I need the pro or will the standard Demon Cortex work?:confused:

BarracudaHockey 06-21-2020 07:42 AM

Replied on Flying Giants

Chris Nicastro 06-21-2020 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by jstanton (Post 12612974)
Chris,

Thank you for your reply and info. I have flown other war birds before like a 50cc P-40 and P-47. My P-40 torches to the left and I have to stay on the rudder a lot on take offs and my P-47 is very stable. I have fiber glassed this P-51D so it is a little heavier then normal and I have made to refinements you mentioned.

I have been hearing how a Cortex or Powerboard Gyro makes the take off and landing very smooth. So I wanted to see if anyone out there that flies War Birds has used one and if it was worth the extra money on installing one.

No problem, happy to help. The P-40 has a narrow track and tall gear so it has a tendency to be a handful on takes offs. The Mustang will be more like the P-47 in that respect. My Mustang was glassed, DLE 55, aluminum wheels, full cockpit, so it was also on the heavier side and you will have to fly it with a gentle hand. You can make it snap at high speed by pulling to much elevator just as easy as you can stall it on approach. So I highly recommend you take it up high and get to know it very well and stall it with and w/o flaps etc so you see its character. They fly great but you can’t be careless. Use the rudder a lot and keep your hands off the ailerons on approach. Just use them to keep the wings level and that’s it. Trust me if you use the ailerons very much at lower approach speeds you can stall the wing and cartwheel it in, seen it done before.

Good luck with the Gyro and remember to fly the rudder!

jstanton 06-22-2020 03:15 AM

Chris,

Thank you for the info on fling the Top Flite P-51D. I will do as you say and if it is anything close to my P-47 I know I will like it. I have a Dave Platt FW-190 I am almost finish with also. They should look good together at the field.:o

jstanton 06-22-2020 04:37 AM

I may be over thinking this Cortex Gyro thing a little to much. I just realized that I have to mount this Gyro upside down because there is no access from the top of the fuselage so the gyro will have to be mounted in the fuselage where you mount the wing to the fuselage. When you turn the plane over to make it right side up the gyro will the be upside down. Will this be a problem or will I just have to go through the setup procedure until I get it right?

BarracudaHockey 06-22-2020 04:59 AM

I think you will need to plug it into the computer and tell it the mounting orientation. No biggie.

Tony Gag Jr. 06-22-2020 12:20 PM

Gyro

The Aura 8 by Flex Innovations is a great gyro too. I have one in my TF FW-190 and Yellow P-47, they work fantastic. Great customer support too if you have setup questions or issues.

https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-category/aura/

jstanton 06-22-2020 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Gag Jr. (Post 12613293)
The Aura 8 by Flex Innovations is a great gyro too. I have one in my TF FW-190 and Yellow P-47, they work fantastic. Great customer support too if you have setup questions or issues.

https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-category/aura/

Are you talking about the Aure 8 AFS for $100. Will it setup upside down? What size engines are you running with you fw190 and p-47?

Tony Gag Jr. 06-22-2020 01:33 PM

Yes, that’s the one and yes you can run it upside down. You have to set the parameters with your phone or laptop, similar to the other gyros you mentioned. Very easy to setup. I run a G-45 and DA-50. Flex uses much bigger engines on their aerobatic planes with the Aura.

BarracudaHockey 06-22-2020 01:33 PM

Yes, same deal, you plug it in to a laptop and define the orientation.

jstanton 06-22-2020 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Gag Jr. (Post 12613313)
Yes, that’s the one and yes you can run it upside down. You have to set the parameters with your phone or laptop, similar to the other gyros you mentioned. Very easy to setup. I run a G-45 and DA-50. Flex uses much bigger engines on their aerobatic planes with the Aura.

Wow for the price that is amazing. I will call Flex in the morning and talk to them. If it will work with my RCGF 56 gas engine I will give it a try. I also have a Dave Platt FW-190 that could use one. Thanks again.

Tony Gag Jr. 06-22-2020 02:46 PM

Definitely the best bang for you buck as far as gyros go. Gyros used only for electric planes is kind of old school thought now, the majority of the stand alone gyros work with combustion engines.

jstanton 06-23-2020 02:06 PM

I just ordered two aura 8 gyro's for my War Birds and looking forward to trying them out. I do have another question and I caledl Flex Innovations.. I had to leave a VM. I use redundant power supply system that my receiver is installed in and wired to the redundant system then my servo's are with to it and not to the receiver. My question is can I install the Aura 8 between my redundant power system and servo's or will I have to removed my redundant system so the receiver is wired directly to the Aura and then to the servo's. I hope I have explained my question correct so you all can understand.

Thanks

Tony Gag Jr. 06-23-2020 02:27 PM

You won’t be disappointed with the Auras, they are great. I’ll let Flex answer that question, I don’t want to give you bad info. I use 2 batteries, battery backer, and 2 switches on both of my Auras and have no issues. Not sure if that helps with your questions or not.

jstanton 06-24-2020 02:52 PM

Tony,

Can you explain how your Aura 8 is wired to you receiver? I have been reading the quick setup guide on the Flex Innovations web page and it look like it does not wire up like I thought.

Thanks

Tony Gag Jr. 06-24-2020 02:57 PM

It’s been a little while since I hooked them
up but I’m pretty sure it goes, servo to Aura, Aura to RX. I could be wrong but I think that’s how all the gyros are setup, if I’m wrong other people can chime in here and correct me.

jstanton 06-24-2020 04:20 PM

So you are not using the SRXL lead from the servo to the Aura. I want to use mine the why you said yours is setup but the quick start setup on Flex Innovations web page does not show it being used in that way. The Aura also only comes with 4 wiring cables to be used from the receiver to the Aura. If you use 2 ailerons, 2 elevators, ans rudder that is 5. I guess I will have to wait and work on them this weekend. I hope I can get some tech support setting these up because I know I will need it:confused:

Tony Gag Jr. 06-24-2020 04:35 PM

I am using Futuba so the setup might be a little
different than yours. Contact Flex via phone or email. The Aura was my first gyro, I had no idea what I was doing for setup but Flex took care of me.