RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New TF Sea Fury!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/1384411-new-tf-sea-fury.html)

DMehalko 12-28-2003 11:46 PM

New TF Sea Fury!!

HEy guys! Just Started building a Top Flite Sea Fury I got for Christmas and just started building it today.

Anyway looks to be a very nice kit (as far as die-cutting goes) and an easy build. Lot of parts though.
What engines and retracts are you using and what mods have you guys done to improve on it.
Any tips on building it?

I would also love to see some pics of this plane.
Will keep you posted with my progress.

David

Doug D. 12-29-2003 01:13 PM

RE: New TF Sea Fury!!

I have one waiting in the loft above my garage. Hope to start it some time this year.
I suggest Century Jet retracts. I've already got mine and they look decent. They have two options. Scale struts or non scale struts. The scale struts are pricey. I went with the non scale for that reason.
As for power that is up to you. I plan on using a Saito 1.00. But any good .90fs would be fine. Unless you want to race than maybe a 1.20.
A RCV .90 would be an interesting option.
If you go with a two stroke I say at least a .75 or larger. Just so you have enough prop to get around the cowl.
Good luck and have fun!!! [&:]

daw 12-29-2003 09:03 PM

Flew my Sea Fury last summer for the first time. It is a great flying plane. Mine has an OS 91 four stroke turning a Graupner 15-6. Great combination. Ive got the Robart retracts and they work flawlessly. I did have to go to a smaller spinner to keep the engine cool. Build it light in the tail, mine took 18 oz. on the engine mount to get the CG correct. No bad habits, flies on rails. The flaps slow it down for landing. Land it on the mains. I played around with take offs at half flaps. Works pretty well. You'll enjoy it. Much more forgiving than the Corsair but still a war bird.

DMehalko 12-30-2003 01:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a lot of building today and almost got the rudder/fin assembly done.
Went pretty well.
Tried to use the lightest sheeting for the tail.

DMehalko 12-30-2003 03:19 PM

Another question; How tail heavy is this plane?

I have heard people adding 1-1.5lbs in the nose! Is this true?
If so I thought of just adding more engine to the nose.
Do you guys think that a Satio 1.50 is overkill? Looking for a good powerful engine that will pull this 12+ pound plane around at 5,500ft above sea level.

Any thoughts?

Any advice would be great
David

DMehalko 01-03-2004 03:51 PM

Well, the rudder and fin took a lot longer to finish then I thought with all that sanding and carving to those big blocks on the tips.

Anyway just started framing the stab/elev and so we will see how that goes.
I will post pics of my progress soon.

Any input on Robart #605HD retracts?

Thanks
David

daw 01-03-2004 05:21 PM

I've got the Robarts and they work great. Make sure you don't have the ones with the countersunk screw holes. These were a engineering goof the coutersunk area weakens the plastic and small cracks will form from the hole to the outside of the mount. Romart will send you the new style if you call and complain. Or use a finish washer over the hole. I think the 150 is more engine than you need. My flies great at 2/3 rds throttle with a 91. If you want useable weight try a large 1800+ mah battery mounted on the back of the firewall.

MHall 01-03-2004 10:36 PM

My friend has the same plane. He has a set of scale gear that he is not going to use. Let me know if you are interested. His also runs a YS 91 with all the power he needs. Beautiful warbird, great flyer. Have fun.

Doug D. 01-03-2004 10:43 PM

At that altitude you may want to go with the 1.20. for power. I still recommend the Cenury jet retracts, as they come with working struts and the system is complete when you buy it . I have a set of CJ retracts in my TF Spitfire and they are preforming well. In spite of the fact the Spit is very over weight . [&:]

DMehalko 01-04-2004 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

My friend has the same plane. He has a set of scale gear that he is not going to use. Let me know if you are interested. His also runs a YS 91 with all the power he needs. Beautiful warbird, great flyer. Have fun.
Yes, I am definently interested. Sent you an e-mail. But are the the actual scale gear (379.99) or the $219.99 gear?

Anyway, here's what I got so far. And what do you guys think of a Magnum 1.20fs?

DMehalko 01-08-2004 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been out of the shop for a few days and have been pretty busy with school crap. Anyway I am back in the shop and am finishing up the stab and hope to start on the wing soon which brings me to another question; Do I HAVE to have the retracts before I start it or can i just build the wing to the retracts I am going to buy?

tubig 01-08-2004 11:53 PM

of course you can start the wing w/o the retracts but at some point Murphy will insist otherwise!;)

Doug D. 01-09-2004 12:47 PM

Looking good so far. Of course you can start the wing now, but you will come to an abrupt stop when it's time install the retracts. If you don't have them yet.
But you don't have to follow the manual exactly. I will skip around and look for steps that can be done ahead of time. Laminations, subassemblies,etc,...
The manual is the suggested order of assembly. Those of us that have built several models tend to have our own way of doing things after while. [&:]

DMehalko 01-09-2004 05:29 PM

Oh ya, I figured that. I was just worrind that there might be a step that I can't go back to and have to tear the thing apart.

Hoping to start the wing tonight and order the retracts tomorrow.

David

DMehalko 01-14-2004 05:53 PM

Alright, got the cenet cection of my wing all framed up. Getting ready for my new 1/2" Century Jet Retracts (any good? Hope so) but my digital camera got a glass of water spilled on it so no pictures this time.

The Retracts bring me to another question: How many times can I put the gear up and down before there is no pressure left?

Will try to get my camera fixed.

David

Doug D. 01-14-2004 07:42 PM

Depends on the size of the can. CJ are good for "about" 8 cycles. About that on my TF Spit. If you want or need more use two cans or get a larger one.[&:]

DMehalko 01-14-2004 08:47 PM

Doug, this dont gotta do with the Sea Fury, but I have seen you chime in all over the place about other peoples planes because you have experince with them.

So I just wondering what all ya got?

Almost got my camera working.

David

DMehalko 01-17-2004 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I really f***ed up my center cection wing and havn't got new balsa yet so I went ahead and started building the fuse...

tubig 01-18-2004 05:31 AM

david, still looking good. what happened to the wing center section?

rrudytoo 01-18-2004 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David,

I noticed in a few of your pictures that your CA glue bottles have "Pikes Peak RC.......(undecipherable)" written on them. Is there a new hobby shop in town named "Pikes Peak" or does the Pikes Peak RC Club now get it's own stuff? Classic Hobbies at Platt and Circle was okay but never had what I wanted or needed and Hobby Town tried to be too many things to all people to support the RC hobby properly. The Springs really needed another dedicated RC hobby shop.

Whatever happened to John Pritco and the Colorado Model Aviators flying sight? I moved away a few months after that child's accident out there that cost the child an eye. I figured that John would be sued out of existance as that field was his own private property. What a tragedy for all involved!

Do you fly at the Black Forest or the Judge Orr site? I prefered the Black Forest location for closeness to home and the scenery but the field was way too small for big planes though the other site wasn't much better. That's why I joined the CMA club.

Good luck with your Sea Fury and if I may make a couple of recommendations: avoid Century Jet ANYTHING as all they make is junk and don't go bigger than a 1.20 4- stroke...........it'll work fine at your altitude.

Al

DMehalko 01-18-2004 12:51 PM

david, still looking good. what happened to the wing center section?
I have a overhang pool table kinda light and one of the mounts broke during the night and fell into the wing smashin 3 ribs and cracking the spars in half. I was pissed so I just through it out. Now I have to scratch build one.

I noticed in a few of your pictures that your CA glue bottles have "Pikes Peak RC.......(undecipherable)" written on them. Is there a new hobby shop in town named "Pikes Peak" or does the Pikes Peak RC Club now get it's own stuff? Classic Hobbies at Platt and Circle was okay but never had what I wanted or needed and Hobby Town tried to be too many things to all people to support the RC hobby properly. The Springs really needed another dedicated RC hobby shop.

Whatever happened to John Pritco and the Colorado Model Aviators flying sight? I moved away a few months after that child's accident out there that cost the child an eye. I figured that John would be sued out of existance as that field was his own private property. What a tragedy for all involved!

Do you fly at the Black Forest or the Judge Orr site? I prefered the Black Forest location for closeness to home and the scenery but the field was way too small for big planes though the other site wasn't much better. That's why I joined the CMA club.

Good luck with your Sea Fury and if I may make a couple of recommendations: avoid Century Jet ANYTHING as all they make is junk and don't go bigger than a 1.20 4- stroke...........it'll work fine at your altitude.

Al
The Pikes peak R/C on the CA bottle is a newer hobby store opened by Dan Brunson, so that's just the name of the shop.
And as for Custom Hobbies, if you remember, I was the kid working there with Robert and Mike but you are absolutly right, he was not a good people-person so people stopped going there and he had to shut it down for financal problems.

As for John's grass feild, he lost the lawsuit and sold the land to some farmer. He did get the pants sued off him. But actually the kids vision is coming back (from what I hear) And that was Kevin Fears son.

Thanks for the Good Lucks!

David

DMehalko 01-18-2004 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to add, rear fuse formers in place and some stringers...

tubig 01-18-2004 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: DMehalko(DM)

I have a overhang pool table kinda light and one of the mounts broke during the night and fell into the wing smashin 3 ribs and cracking the spars in half. I was pissed so I just through it out. Now I have to scratch build one.

bummer[sm=crying.gif]. but hey, that just means more building.......right?

DMehalko 01-18-2004 04:01 PM

:D:DYup, Sooo excited about cutting new parts!:D

David

Dream_Flyer 01-18-2004 08:01 PM

What became of John Pritco? He did help me allot many years ago when I was starting in this hobby here in San Antonio,Texas