RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P-47 Motivation thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/1986772-p-47-motivation-thread.html)

*Crash*Johnson* 07-13-2004 10:54 AM

P-47 Motivation thread

Hey all you experienced warbird builders... I need some help.
I have the Top Flight P-47 Gold edition plane about 1/4 built, and somewhere in the mix lost motivation. Anyone have a cure for this?

Perhaps a picture or 40 you can post to get my ass in gear to build.

Please? [:o]

Selleri 07-13-2004 11:28 AM

RE: P-47 Motivation thread

One of my favorites, don't have any inspiring photos at my PC at the moment.
But I'll be very mad if you don't finish it :D

Seriously, buy your self a DVD/video with P-47 footage and watch it in action, works for me every time I start to loose interest.

Sycoticca 07-13-2004 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well heres mine.. And kook at that one of my other projects that has been sitting since Dec ... havent had the erge to finish either.. its a 25 year old Top Flite P-40 kit, got it this far and havent touched it since.............

Heavy Date 07-13-2004 11:46 AM

This works for me.

Never start on a plane that you don't have a personal interest in. What I mean is, find a vet that flew 47s and see if he has any photos of his mount. Then build the model as his plane. With the extra info and stories from him you will want to get it done so that you can show it to him.
Take the photos of his plane and stick them all over the shop.

I did this on my last 3 scale models and finished all of them in a pretty short time as I could not wait to show the vets the models of the planes they flew.
I am just finishing up a Don Smith B-17 for the 401st BG reunion and the last living crew member of the plane I am making will be there as well as the families of the rest of the crew. Now that is motivation.

Don't just build it for yourself, build it for the pilots that flew combat in the plane. It really adds a whole new twist to the hobby.
Hans

*Crash*Johnson* 07-13-2004 12:03 PM

Hans,
That is good stuff! You are absolutely right... but I don't know anyone who flew in the big one.

My brother builds warbirds and after seeing some of his work I just had to give it a shot. Normally just perusing the RCU website I get enough motivation to get back into a project. The trouble is it's summer and who wants to be cooped inside building when it's soooo nice outside?

Edwin 07-13-2004 12:04 PM

Im working on the giant scale version by TF. Go take a look at www.warbirds.com and www.bomberfieldusa.com . Go watch some other warbirds fly. That usually does it for me. Sometimes you gotta take a break for a few weeks.
Edwin

Heavy Date 07-13-2004 12:10 PM

It is pretty easy to find a vet. Most groups have a website up. Find a P-47 group and post on the forum. I'm sure you will get tons of answers from them and photos.

Also at rcwarbirds.com one of the regulars was a P-47 pilot. I'm sure he would be glad to help you out. He has a lot of knowledge and many contacts for vets.

The best part is you won't be building the same old Bonnie that everyone else has. I swear if I see one more Bonnie or Big Beautiful Doll I'll scream!
Hans

Jinkers 07-13-2004 01:09 PM

Hans,

That is great advice. I purchased a TF 1/5 P-51B kit with a plan in mind to recreate the Plane of a vet I know who flew with the 352nd FG. Great motivation not to mention the enjoyment they will get out of seeing thier stead fly again.

Crash, if you need a few ideas try the [link=http://www.p47pilots.com/]P-47 pilots association [/link]

ShaneUSMC 07-13-2004 01:42 PM

Mota...Mota...Got a lot of motivation!!!!

Hans' idea is probably the best. There are a lot of Vets out there just waiting for someone to tell their stories to. (kinda biased on vets, wonder why? LOL) They are a wealth of knowledge where planes come in, especially those that flew in them. I also agree that some paint schemes are WELL over done. They look good, but they are every where you look.

Another source of motivation might be to find someone that is at the same stage as you and have a build off. Don't skimp or cut corners, do it right. I did this with a TF Corsair and my buddy had a TF P-47 Razorback. I won by a couple of weeks, but I picked the kit up with some of the structure built (top half of fuse, basic wing, and tail surfaces). I slacked off to give him a chance to catch up as well. :D If we had started at the same time he probably would have smoked me. LOL.

Hades 07-13-2004 01:55 PM

It happend to me aswell specially since some shelves brokelose from the wall and smashed one of the wings i was building but now im back building and i have finished the repair.

Another thing happend to me is i dident realise how much this project would cost since its one of my first kits and i never used retracts and stuff before so i had to stop the building time to time cause i had to wait for the next paycheck so i could order the things i needed.

here is a picture of my P-47 working in progress
http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...1pttwUZ_fs.jpg

bosssman 07-13-2004 02:22 PM

one thing that seems to ALWAYS work for me, both in my car restoration hobby and R/C hobby, is to go to a show on the weekend and look at finished projects and talk to the builders/owners. You come away with a renewed sense of purpose and more importantly, a VISION that you have in your mind of YOUR completed project based on what you saw at the show. Surely, in your area, there are some scale R/C shows within a hundred miles of your home for this weekend. Seek one out and I can almost guarantee that you will almost want to rush home to jump back into that P-47....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif

kram51 07-13-2004 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a T'Bolt for consideration. http//:www.americanairpowermueseum.com. This Jug is well within a day trip for you to go see in the flesh!

Enjoy!

Mark

*Crash*Johnson* 07-13-2004 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny, I was poking through the warbird forum and came across a paint thread, and found this.

This is proper motivation.

Oh yea, forgot to add... Dunkin Donuts has a deal going.. free motivation at the bottom of every Large coffee :D

EDIT: Opps forgot to add the image.. what a tool.....

Peter_OZ 07-13-2004 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
first of all get rid of that damn cartoon character and get one of a WWII warbird.

ok here's a couple of 1:1 scale piccies from the Imperial war museum at Duxford UK

cheers
Peter

bullet65 07-13-2004 07:23 PM

peter,now that was funny but good advice.

Chad Veich 07-13-2004 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about a nearly finished 70" Ziroli?

Dragonjohn 07-13-2004 08:49 PM

I had 'rescued' a TF P-47 from a bad build/ covering job. In the process gained my motivation hanging around here! this is by far the most active of the forums i read and the one who posts the most pictures. most of my confidence in my first glassing came from reading the posts here! ( I'm afraid to show it until I have the first coat of primer on) :D
Do alittle at a time, I almost hope for the rainy days sometimes

ekir 07-14-2004 05:20 AM

I finished up a 72" Ziroli P-47 last year. About half way through the project I was getting tired of this project. I walked away until I was ready to start construction again. I pushed through the P-47, concerned about its weight and how it would fly. Guess what? The weight came out of 16.5 pounds and it flies great. One of the best landing airplanes I have every owned.
The other side of this is that I feel if you have lost interest in the project, find another one. Life is to short.
I have built models for over thirty years. I try to build something that I can not purchase in an ARF.
If I am going to put the time into a project I want it to be something different than an ARF. I have purchased a couple ARF's and quality is first rate with some of the manufactures.

Ed

chuck0306 07-14-2004 01:50 PM

I'm working on a Bud Nosen P-47 and desperately need cockpit/canopy documentation. If anyone knows any sites with good photos or drawings it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chad Veich 07-14-2004 07:29 PM

Chuck, try www.aircraftresourcecenter.com for P-47 docs. Click on "walkarounds" then "propellor walkarounds" and then scroll down to the P-47s. Good luck with it, Chad Veich.

chuck0306 07-16-2004 01:39 PM

Thanks Chad, that's a great resource.

Chuck