RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2009965-fiberclassics-p-51-now-comp-arf-p-51-a.html)

Erwin DB 02-13-2011 09:48 AM

RE: FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Finally started painting & constructing the cockpit, here some first pics, will post some more when all is finished including weathering...
The 1/4 scale seat from Inzpan has been reduced to 1/4,5 scale, fits perfect now...needs still some putty & sanding.

Regards from Belgium

Erwin &amp; Jonas<br type="_moz" />

Canuck1 02-13-2011 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks great Erwin, looking forward to seeing it completed.

Finished up work on the fuselage. Primer has been sanded down, only a few minor things to do on the fuselage before painting.
I need to finish work on the wings, still lots to do.

Craig

Erwin DB 02-14-2011 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When my dad was painting other cockpit parts, I made some accessories for the P-51http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

Jonas<br type="_moz" />

alanjets 02-15-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a picture of the inside of mine.And a video of it opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTN_ilM82YQ

Canuck1 03-06-2011 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been a while since I have posted anything.
Been working on the Mustang, and doing "honey do's" for the past couple weeks.
Needed to fix the gap on the port aileron. Made a former of balsa, covered in tape, filled the area with bondo body filler, removed the former, and it looks good. Will wait for it to set up, sand and then will prime. It hould clean up pretty good :D

Craig

Canuck1 03-06-2011 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cut out the Machine Gun ejection port openings.
Marked them on the wing, using a candle, and an exacto blade cut them out. The heated blade just goes through like butter :D
After I did 3 sides, I applied some tape, so when the last side was cut, I just pulled the tape back and they came out easily. I did not want to have to fish them out after.
Still need to lightly sand the sides for a smooth finish.

Craig

mustang41 03-06-2011 11:00 AM

Very nice works i'm very inspirated when i follow your post

Canuck1 03-06-2011 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mustang 41
Was looking at the flaps and thought that I need to put some type of "relief" on the outboard ends. I dont like the look of a flush end when the flaps are deployed.
Dug out some thin styrene, cut four holes, and CA'd to the ends. I then shot a coat of primer and taking a 2-56 rod, heated it with a candle and burned in a few rivets. Gave it a wet sand with some 220, now I have what I was looking for. It should look pretty good after final paint.

I will also do some riveting on the inboard edges of the ailerons as well.

Craig

Canuck1 03-06-2011 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting ready to epoxy in the ailerons after a few finishing touches. While the primer is drying on the inboard edge, I found that the hinges on one aileron were pretty loose fitting.
So epoxied some aluminum tubing to the hinges so the fit will be better. Applied the epoxy then crimped the aluminum tube. This works well and have used it before on my Byron Corsair. Just filled the end of the tube with more epoxy, to finish the glueing.
After removing the ailerons several times the holes were just getting to big for a snug fit. I will have to open the holes up slightly for the tube to fit in the trailing edge.
Once this sets up I will rivet the inboard edge of the aileron with some brass tubing and my trusty candle :D

Craig

Canuck1 03-06-2011 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put some rivets on the inboard portion of the ailerons. Should look good when it painted and the flaps are in the down position.
I put 4 coats of primer on, and when that had cured burned in the rivets, and sanded smooth.

Craig

Canuck1 03-06-2011 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to glue in the ailerons this evening, however running out of time tonight, I want more time to check while the epoxy dries.
So I started plugging away with the rudder linkage. I will be using a ball link on the rudder control horn. I also want to be able to get at it if need be, once the rudder is glued in. So I made the opening big enough and with full right deflection will be able to get at it. I also drilled an access hole for the ball driver. When the rudder is in the neutral position these holes are covered up.

Craig

Canuck1 03-07-2011 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ailerons are now epoxied into location.
Did some cleaning up of the mounting holes on the cowl. Total of four screws and two dowels at the front to secure the cowl. Beefed up the front screw hold down.

Craig

alanjets 03-12-2011 03:20 AM

As any one had the all up waight on there mustangs as min is coming out at 42lb and i havnt put much in mine

Canuck1 03-12-2011 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alanjets

Thats a good question. I am also interested to see what the all up weights are with the other Comp ARF Mustangs.

Still working on the little bits.
Made my wingtip lights this morning. Carved some balsa to shape, added a coat if thin CA to harden, sanded, and added another coat.
Glassed them up with some light cloth, and gave them a prime. Will sand down for a smooth finish once they are hard, and install on the wing tips.
Have also been working on the fuel fill. Put in the alum filler, tapped the cap with a 2-56 thread ansd glued in a small bolt. It works pretty well, and can pull it out easily.

Craig.

Canuck1 03-13-2011 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Completed a few more things. Wing tip lights are in, have filled and primed where they are attached. Still need to be sanded and cleaned up.
I also put the formation light frames on the starboard wing. I think they are formation lights. Added some rivet detail and will glue in coloured lenses after it is painted. Added some rivet detail to the ejection ports and a couple of round things that are on top of the wing. Also epoxied in the lens for the gun camera. Still some more work to do in this area.
I still need to make covers for the aileron exits at the trailing edge. This need to be cleaned up.

Craig

chisep51 03-13-2011 09:51 AM

Alanjets,
Mine weighed in at 48lbs after paint. Ran a 3W 80 inline twin engine. Had to add lead in nose and Solo prop to help balance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQDU9DKGf3Ithe engine sagged on verticle. Left cockpit tub out and left drop tanks off for flight due to weight concerns.

Charlie

Canuck1 03-14-2011 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took advantage of the nice weather and applied a light coat of primer to the tops of the wings.
I will do the bottoms in a couple of days. Most of the primer will be sanded off. This will give me a good surface for final paint.
The details just spring out at you after you apply a little bit of paint :D

Craig

youngguy 03-14-2011 06:14 PM

Very nice Craig. Looking forward to seeing this Mustang flying. Have you made a decision on an engine?

docgboy 03-15-2011 05:29 AM

Be careful with the amount of primer used and many guys including myself don't feel priming is a neccesary step in these Comp-arf models. Their surface detail is very shallow and will be lost with paint layered over it.

Most guys I talked to about painting over paint-in-the-mold aircract recommend washing all parts with warm soapy water followed by green scotchbrite pads to remove surface sheen and apply final paint.

Canuck1 03-15-2011 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Docgboy
Yes the surface is very shallow. The light dusting will be sanded down and the details will still be visible.
Have not decided entirely with the engine choice. Probably go with the DA 85.
Worked on the trim tab linkages.
As well I was not happy with the exits, for the ailerons. So I made up some covers out of styrene, CA'd them into position, and added some detail.
Next will be a light coat of primer, then it can be sanded down.

Craig

Canuck1 03-17-2011 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All the primer has been sanded down, and she is looking good.
I applied my first paint colour tonight. The leading edge of the flap is chrome, so I applied the chrome. I am using ModelMasters enamel paint for the Mustang.
When I go to paint the wing, I will mask off the chrome, then when painting is done, remove the mask. We will see how that looks down the road. Needs to cure for a while before I even think of masking the paint :D
Might be hard to see the difference with the lighting in my shop and with grey colour around it. When completed it will stand out.

Craig

Canuck1 03-17-2011 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started working on my templates for the fuselage.
Have the main roundel, fin, and small maple leaf template figured out. Lots of measuring, and drawing. Gives me a good idea on how it will look with markings.
Will do the call letters tomorrow.

Craig

Jeremy_D 03-18-2011 03:08 AM

Here is a short clip of my friends CARF Mustang. This is flight 3 and he is still ironing out some bugs with his motor install. He is running a DA85 and the scale exhaust system. I'll get some video as his flight tests continue. It handles well and came in okay at half flap. I think he will try full flap this weekend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvvPECc66o[/youtube]

alanjets 03-18-2011 10:01 AM

going to maden mine tomorrow will tell u how she fly's .Done the C/G today with the tank empty when its full its a little nose heavy but will see ho it fly's before altering will keep u all posted

Canuck1 03-18-2011 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good luck on your maiden Alan ;)

Made up the call letters for the side. Placed the canopy on for the second pic.

Craig