RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Robinaire 60 Size Rotating Retracts (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2103223-robinaire-60-size-rotating-retracts.html)

Richard L. 08-29-2004 09:33 PM

RE: Robinaire 60 Size Rotating Retracts

He finally woke up and realized that he could lose thousands of dollars of profit if he didn't follow through with the retracts. The customer base for .60 size rotating retracts is huge.

kram51 08-29-2004 09:48 PM

Lee will have my business.

Mark

Richard L. 08-29-2004 10:20 PM

Ditto.

juvatwad 08-29-2004 10:31 PM

I'll go with SPM.

voyager_663rd 08-29-2004 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: juvatwad

I'll go with SPM.

Go right ahead. You are free to buy what you want from who you want. I, on the other hand have waited so bloody long for this to be resolved. Lee stepped up to the plate, invested his time (and no doubt, considerable resources) to come up with a suitable product that as far as I knew, everyone and anyone who subscribed to this (and the original) thread wanted.

Darrell MIGHT have commercial product available. However, when was the last time we heard squat? 7-8-9 months ago?

I've always said, Sierra has fine products. I would never say a bad word about their products.

Lee, when you're ready, say the word. For me, your work will not be in vain (nor an "exercise in passing the time" ) as some might think.

Maiden Voyage 08-29-2004 11:41 PM

As I have said before, I will not reward someone with my business that REFUSES to show any respect to me as a customer! If Darrell made them out of Gold inlaid with Diamonds and sold them to me for $50.00, I still wouldn't buy anything from him or his company.

I respect INTEGRITY, and since Lee seems to have it, he will have my order.

juvatwad 08-30-2004 06:38 AM

Lee stepped up to the plate, invested his time (and no doubt, considerable resources) to come up with a suitable product that as far as I knew, everyone and anyone who subscribed to this (and the original) thread wanted.

Darrell MIGHT have commercial product available. However, when was the last time we heard squat? 7-8-9 months ago?

I've always said, Sierra has fine products. I would never say a bad word about their products.

Lee, when you're ready, say the word. For me, your work will not be in vain (nor an "exercise in passing the time" ) as some might think.
I don't want "suitable" or "adequate". I want the best that I can personally afford. I followed the thread throughout its entirety, but never posted until now. You guys beat on Darrel without mercy over a stupid set of model airplane retracts. MODEL AIRPLANE RETRACTS! He didn't steal anyone's money, and in the end, it looks as if he's developed another outstanding product. I don't blame him for not posting his thread after the pummeling began. Instead he kept quiet and developed something that will likely be beyond what anyone expected.

I do appreciate what Lee has done here, too. In the end, we'll have at least four options: Robart, CJM, SPM, and Lee. The free market works.

Robinaire 08-30-2004 12:59 PM

Hi gang; If I had a winning lottery ticket, I could afford several machines!!! But they are rather inept here in Florida,m and keep pulling the wrong numbers!! But aside from that, you 615ers, I still have a dimension problem with the mounting hole spacing. Their drawing does not show the fore & aft position. One of the guys told me the rear hole was 1/2" from the back end of the rail. This would leave 3/4" at the front. BUT--the drawing appears to be just the opposite. I realize the dwg is not to scale, but that amount of discrepancy makes one wonder. So if someone can verify those dimensions, I would appreciate receiving them. By the way, I saw the pics of Darrels' gear. It's a very nice looking gear. Can't comment on its function, as I have never seen any of his products. Besides, I never comment on other peoples products. But I've seen several people speak highly of his workmanship. I expect to have a fully functioning test set within 2 weeks. Lee

Robinaire 08-30-2004 01:03 PM

AMEN Juvatwad! Lee Robinson Robinaire

juvatwad 08-30-2004 01:12 PM

Right back at ya, Lee. Thanks for tackling this problem.

Richard L. 08-30-2004 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Robinaire

you 615ers, I still have a dimension problem with the mounting hole spacing. Their drawing does not show the fore & aft position. One of the guys told me the rear hole was 1/2" from the back end of the rail. This would leave 3/4" at the front. BUT--the drawing appears to be just the opposite.
The attached picture should answer your question.

Robinaire 08-30-2004 04:05 PM

Thanks Richard. It confirms that the short distance is indeed at the front. You didn't mention the actual dimension, but it looks like 1/2 at the front with the 3/4 at the back. Thats the way I'll drill my test set. And while I'm on here, I just came back from the CNC shop. The guy looked at my drawing (not quite complete) and the parts I had, and simply said "piece 'o cake"!. Now I just hope that when he gets back to me with an actual price, it is a "piece 'o cake" too!! Lee

Richard L. 08-30-2004 07:34 PM

Yes, it's 1/2" at the front and 3/4" at the back. Sorry I didn't mention the actual dimension because I thought the large picture clearly showed the distances. Plus, I already mentioned them in Post #591 in the other thread: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_870108/anchors_2056989/mpage_20/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2056989[/link]

voyager_663rd 09-04-2004 03:11 PM

Bringing it forward.

Maiden Voyage 09-05-2004 03:41 PM

I should of posted this the other day but I got busy, sorry. I received an email from Lee, he had to evacuate due to Francis. So I wouldn't expect to hear from him until it blows:eek: over.

Kerry

Richard L. 09-05-2004 08:59 PM

I hope Lee is OK.

jeffyd123 09-07-2004 11:40 PM

Its official.....
the gods dont want us to have rotating retracts for .60 size planes.

alas...my beautiful plane is going to wind up as upside-down scrap.

Poor Lee... I hope everything is OK when he gets back home.

Robinaire 09-09-2004 07:49 PM

Hi all; Some of you who I had email addresses for have already received my missive about the hurricane. Rather than give the long-winded note again, I'll summarize!! 125 mph winds put my screened front porch and its roof in my driveway, locking my '94 caravan in the carport and the '97 in the street!! Got power back at 6:45 tonight. Came home from my sons' place Monday pm to the mess. Waiting for the insurance inspector to show up so I can start cleanup. He has to see things first. We were very lucky; many people lost everything, and marinas around here with very expensive boats were trashed! It will probably be a week before I can get organized again. I'll keep y'all posted! Lee & Kay Robinson

voyager_663rd 09-09-2004 09:31 PM

Good to hear you're safe Lee. Hope your life gets back to normal very soon.

Griffin_NC 09-10-2004 06:26 AM

Glad to hear everyone is ok there.

Robinaire 09-11-2004 06:03 PM

Hi Kram51 et al; I think I got a post into the other thread, but I don't know if it made it here! Briefly, they got the front porch out of the driveway yesterday! Haven't gotten to the shop yet, but hope to get things organized in the next few days. Got power Wed. eve about 6:45. Kay started to wash a mountain of clothes yesterday, and the water pump on the washer started leaking big time. Called Sears (it's a 25 yr old Pennys unit) and the repairman showed up this AM, and came in with the joyous news that I had a flat tire! Then he checked out the washer, and it would take about half the cost of a new one to fix the old one! Didn't take many smarts to kill that idea. So we went over to Sears to get tire plugged and pick out a washer. Car was to take about an hour. (HAH!) 2.5 hours later it was done! Will keep all posted on my trials and tribulations, and maybe even progress on numerous gears! One fellow asked if I could make a mechanical set. ALL retracts are mechanical and can be operated by various means. These can be operated with air or servo. Now, all I have to do is worry about IVAN!!! More fun!! Lee Robinson

kram51 09-11-2004 10:46 PM

Man Lee! Ivan looks like a brute so you and your family please be safe!

Regards,

Mark

Robinaire 09-17-2004 01:25 PM

Hello kram51 et al; Have finally got shop in some semblance of order after the "visit" from Frances!! Still no visit from the claims adjuster on replacing my "Gone With The Wind" front porch! But I'm just about in shape to finish the last few Bearcats and get on with the new stuff, the rotater, the 1/5-1/4 scale Corsair and the two "teeny-weeny" 1/12 scale FW-190s!! Gad! Wish I'd studied watchmaking! I've updated my drawings on the 60 sized version, and will take them to the CNC shop when he finally reopens. Went out a couple of days ago and found him still closed! I think he is opening up again Monday, so I'll call to be sure. Have a couple of questions: first, I notice some others offer gear with and without "plumbing" package, so I'll probably do the same. Most of you probably have a ton of junque box spares! At any rate, if replaceing in a plane already plumbed, you don't need it. Would appreciate any comments here. Next, I'm either going to build a mockup of the wing gear area, or find someone out there who has "rekitted a Corsair, but with an intact section with gear area. (Might have a problem getting an admission of "rekitting" from someone!!!) I expect to have a more complete update in about a week. Thanks for the patience guys; sorry things have taken so long. Lee Robinson

Heavy Date 09-17-2004 01:48 PM

Lee,
We are just glad you and the family are safe. When you get to the gear, you get to the gear. Home and family always come first.
Hans

Robinaire 09-17-2004 04:22 PM

Hi krm51 & all; I'll try this update again--the first one disappeared into thin air!! I'm pretty well cleaned up after "Dear" Frances' visit! So will get rest of Bearcats out of the way, and get on to this project, the 2 - 1/12 scale FF-190's the large-scale Corsair and the Dewoitine 520. Now what will I do with all my spare time???!!! I took the updated dwgs to the CNC shop today, and he said he would have some costs by Monday. Then I can come up with a price. (HMMM--I always did want a Lear!) I'm sorry it has taken so long, but this spring has been one long string of interferences!! I'll try to have a more detailed update in about a week. I may have to build a mockup of the section of a wing with the gear area, so I can check some clearances I'm a bit leary of. Or maybe someone out there has "rekitted" a Corsair and has a section of wing with an intact gear area, and is not afraid to admit to a "rekitting"!!! Lee Robinson