RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2257933-tf-gs-p47-build-yeah-another-bloody-one.html)

spitmad 04-30-2007 07:31 PM

RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

Oh spitmad, if you are going to repaint, please do an Aussie scheme,,,,,,, please.
Brad

A mate of mine is the chief engineer for one of the RAAF CAC 18 Muzzies based down here at Point Cook..........here are some shots of "his" baby at Temora and on the way to Avalon Airshow last month . He has spent over 100 hrs in the back seat but has no interest in any stick action .I thought about this scheme but it has been done a number of times already...........and........ painting that sharks mouth will be a challenge !

Alan

Bill Jennings 05-01-2007 04:06 PM

G'Day Brad.
If you want to do that sharkmouth contact Garry at Get stencils and I am sure he could help you. Great bloke and a great product.
Regards.
Bill.

Peter_OZ 05-02-2007 04:46 AM

used to see that bird overhead all the time where I was at RAAF Laverton doing electronics training back in the late 80's

Brad330l 05-02-2007 07:19 AM

spitmad that is the scheme I will be doing on my Mustang. Love it.
Thanks Bill for the tip on the stencils.
Brad

rt3232 05-02-2007 09:34 AM

Pete

When you put your wing on the jigs to do the under side did you have any problems having the tips fit????[>:] I have the dihedral per the book at rib 12. but the tips are a good 1/2 inch from the jig, and if I block up to fit I end up with about 1+ deg of wash up at the tip. may take pic later..

bob T

spitmad 05-02-2007 05:07 PM

Bob

from memory I had to shim my wing jigs with 12.5mm blasa sheet to lift them all up...........after installing the central jig that fits onto the central wing dowels I found I had way too much dihedral and that the jigs were miles away from the wing surface......I flattened some dihedral and raised all the jigs to get the correct fit.......it seems that thi sis a fault with the kit/plans/instructions

Pete has a few pics on this thread..........a few hundred pages back !

cheers

Alan

rt3232 05-02-2007 07:17 PM

Thanks Allen

I went and shimmed jig's up to the wing, tip and center, still have not figured why I get the wash out tho, but I don't think it will hurt.

Thanks again

Bob T

Peter_OZ 05-03-2007 02:48 AM

yes mate we all did, if you go back through the thread to where i did mine you will see my comments and some posts by another member who explained what needed to be done.
cheers

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Pete

When you put your wing on the jigs to do the under side did you have any problems having the tips fit????[>:] I have the dihedral per the book at rib 12. but the tips are a good 1/2 inch from the jig, and if I block up to fit I end up with about 1+ deg of wash up at the tip. may take pic later..

bob T

Peter_OZ 05-03-2007 02:49 AM

wash out is good

should be about 1 to 1 1/2 degrees

rt3232 05-03-2007 07:00 AM

Good morning Pete :D

Its morning hear. I have read this thread twice and saved all most all pic's for referance, but for the life of me I gould not find that page so with the bit about the jig's, So with Allen's comment I just went ahead and shimmed.

trying to get out to do some circuts and landing drills, have to get the thumbs working a bit

Catch you later

Bob T

spitmad 05-03-2007 05:43 PM

Bob

read on from page 20, DWR has some shots of the gaps under the wing jigs..........there are some shots later of the jigs that have been shimmed 1/2 " to lift them up to the wing surface (hope this makes sence).

I glued all four wing jigs to 1/2 balas and problem solved

cheers

Alan

Good morning Pete :D

Its morning hear. I have read this thread twice and saved all most all pic's for referance, but for the life of me I gould not find that page so with the bit about the jig's, So with Allen's comment I just went ahead and shimmed.

trying to get out to do some circuts and landing drills, have to get the thumbs working a bit

Catch you later

Bob T

spitmad 05-03-2007 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pete

I was going to fit the Chinese 65cc donk into the P47 however have decided on a 45cc gasser.........picked one up for $330 complete, spins a 20 x 10 prop at 6700 which is almost identical to the ST4500 and is considerably lighter (around 1/2 kg).
Whilst the 65cc would fit, the muffler was a little snug and very close to the cowl.......the 45 comes with a single side pipe muffler but I found that the pitts style slim line off my ST4500 also fits so no futher cowl mods required.
The 45cc is rated at 4.2 hp which is the same as the G62 and spins the same prop.....20 x 10.......I'm running the 45 on the test bench this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes, but I reckon it will be a far better option than the G62 as it comes with CDI and is considerably lighter and makes the same power.

I'll keep the 65cc for the 100" Mustang

I'll let you know how it goes

cheers

Alan

rt3232 05-03-2007 07:49 PM

Hay Allen

Thanks again, found it this time I ques I was just skipping over it, and that is what I had till I shimmed with 1/2 blocks. So will now start moving ahead, mabe a pc of my progress this w/e

Cheers Bob T

ticketec 05-03-2007 08:16 PM

Hey alan,

this was the chinese donk i was looking at in oz....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....3559&rd=1&rd=1

I just found the 45cc you were talking about and i reckon that it might just been too much for the 70" fw-190. i was hoping to find a 35-38cc donk. have you heard anything about these SPE engines? i have heard they can be a bit variable in quality, but most replace the carb with a walbro unit which is supposed to set you back about $14 USD and thy run like clocwork and pickup 700-800rpm too.

I know that the CRRPro 26cc he advertises has a thread on here in the gas engines forums and they have been having dramas with the CDI units....

Thanks

Brad330l 05-03-2007 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thread is so old the P47 at Duxford has had time to grow a new paint job. (refering to page one)
:)
Regards
Brad

spitmad 05-03-2007 10:29 PM

ticketec

yeah I was very wary of the CRRC pro engines but the ones here are actually different, they are the same as the 'Peak' engines sold in the US...........I too had read all the horror stories but my 65cc run beautifully......the 45cc has the same CDI unit and I expect the same. The importer will happily refund $$ if any probs..........I'm heading over to his place this w/e to check out his stock and pick up a 26cc to test......I'll let you know how I go.
I reckon a 40cc gasser will be way too much for a 70" 190..........then again....if it's not over powered....it's under powered:D

BTW

Pete

apologies for hijacking your build thread :D.........but since not alot of building going on...:eek:....we decided to chat .

I hope to have the gasser installed in my 47 within the next week and further updates on performance

cheers

rt3232 05-06-2007 02:00 PM

Hi Guys

Ware did everyone go?? Just a little up date on my 47 a bit of progress as its been to windy to fly 15 to 40 and gusts on up. got the wing pnls but together carbon fiber on the new spars wheel wells finished, temp gear install to see how it came ot with the mod angles may require some tweeking when I get every thing assembled

If you see somthing Ive missed, help

Hear are the pic's

Bob t

rt3232 05-06-2007 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will try again on the pic

Chad Veich 05-06-2007 03:49 PM

Different Jugs Brad, or did you know that already? ;)

Peter_OZ 05-06-2007 10:54 PM

no worries Bob, get those thumbs moving mate!! Gees must be like a bear hibernating there not being able to fly for half the year. [:@]

Peter_OZ 05-06-2007 10:58 PM

Alan,
could be a good choice I think. Did think the 65 was way too much power. Mate of mind runs 22x12 on his G62 that is fitted to a 1/4 scale P51D. Very good performance and it really unloads coming downhill.

We are just back from long weekend on the beach at Caloundra, magic spot. Sit on the patio having a drink and watching the surf come crashing ashore. Gees I need a pay rise so I can move there! mmm wonder where I could fit a Titan!

for the septics the Titan is type of large shed.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 05-06-2007 11:00 PM

Dave,
what about a Zenoah G-26? I ear they are out now with a electronic ingnition.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 05-06-2007 11:03 PM

yeah yeah, was nearly going to pait mine that scheme.

Crawled all over, under and around that bird when I was at Duxford back in 2004.

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

This thread is so old the P47 at Duxford has had time to grow a new paint job. (refering to page one)
:)
Regards
Brad

Peter_OZ 05-06-2007 11:07 PM

sorry mate we had a 4 day long weekend here RDO Fri, labour day monday so took off to the beach for a few days.

your wing is coming along nicely, will have to get my finger out and get cracking or you will overtake me.

By the way guys got a PM from Craig aka Canuk, all well juist busy on an O/S assignment.

Hi Guys

Ware did everyone go?? Just a little up date on my 47 a bit of progress as its been to windy to fly 15 to 40 and gusts on up. got the wing pnls but together carbon fiber on the new spars wheel wells finished, temp gear install to see how it came ot with the mod angles may require some tweeking when I get every thing assembled

If you see somthing Ive missed, help

Hear are the pic's

Bob t

Peter_OZ 05-06-2007 11:09 PM

yup there are a couple of P47s at Duxford, the static one in the US hanger Brad posted the pic of and the flying exhibit MX-X which I beleive has been sold and will be undergoing a change of livery.