RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2257933-tf-gs-p47-build-yeah-another-bloody-one.html)

timothy thompson 08-27-2005 03:34 PM

RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

REASON LIGHT WAS MOVED WAS BECAUSE COMPRESSIBILITY FLAPS WERE INSTALLED WHERE THE LIGHT WAS

Peter_OZ 08-28-2005 12:59 AM

yup and so they were too

had to stop the pilots putting feet marks in the dash when they tried to pull out! :D

Peter_OZ 09-02-2005 06:12 PM

sorry guys, no progress of late as work has been rather hectic.

Am also in the process or detailing the wing from my 82" P51. Just had my good friend Ron rebuild the retracts on it as they had become rather tired and very sloppy in the landing position. Nice and tight now :)

Pulled all the decals off the wing last night, the smaller stencils ones I can re-use and the large US bar and star will have to be new - that is easy as it is the same size as the small one for the TF P47 so will steal that and scounge another from somewhere:D

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 09-04-2005 02:46 AM

well progress of sorts.

Finished rubbing off all the paint from the P51 wing using 600 and some 240 grit wet and dry used wet. Almost a day and a half of had yakka (yakka = work).

Nice mess of water and paint residue all over the floor of the garage now :D

Now have to do a few repairs where there has been previous damage around the gear wells. Bit of glass reinforcement here and there and will also glass the inside of the wells and paint . A few small dings here and there that red auto filler will fix up.

Then on to adding the aerotech detail pack, .50 cal shrouds, pylons, etc.

Now how is this progress on the P47 you ask? Because it means this little distraction is getting close to being done which means I can then get back on track with the 47!

cheers
Peter

dwr 09-06-2005 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Peter, glad to see you getting the yakka done on the Peefiddyone so you can get back to the Jug. I got mine up on the gear for the first time--always feel like I'm gettin somewhere at this stage of a project. Here are a few pics just for grins. Catch you later. DWR.

Peter_OZ 09-06-2005 08:10 PM

mate that is coming along very nice. Now if I could stay off bloody ebay I might get some more work done! :D

I'm just waiting on some Sullivan 0.032" flex push cable to arrive so I can bury that in the wing of the pee fiddy wan - I taught I saw a fiddy wan, I did, I did saw a fiddy wan!

Sorry could not help meself! :eek:

ok back on track, serious face back on [:'(] the cable will be used to drive the drop tank release on the pylons and will be driven by a single standard servo. Once the cable is I can then do the repair, touch ups etc and fit all the detail items prior to undercoating and panel lines, rivets etc.

the jug is sitting there patiently so will get back on that in due course.

Hey got a very nice Ryobi schroll saw for Dads day - courtesy of my lovely wife who took me shopping down at Bunnings. So that will make life very easy for complex cuts to ply etc.

cheers for now
Peter

Canuck1 09-07-2005 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finaly got a little more done on the P-47. I glassed the fuse, primed, sanded, added some filler and she is now a lot more solid to work with. The airframe has been together for a while and was starting to split in some areas. Glassing it shoulld fix that problem. Still have not put in the rails for the sliding canopy, soon I hope. I need to do a little more work on the rudder and elevators and I will glass those next.

Craig.

Peter_OZ 09-08-2005 04:37 AM

looks good, hard yakka is nearly done now

Canuck1 09-10-2005 03:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did some playing around with some details. I made a small modern antennia as well as the pitot tube. These small items will help dress it up when she is all done.

Craig.

Peter_OZ 09-10-2005 04:23 AM

now that looks nice, not sure how long they will last though.

How did you make them?

I'm still working on my P51 wing detailing - red filler in a few places at the moment. Reinforced around the wheel wells and will add a bit of glass to that area once I have rubbed the filler back.

cheers
Peter

SBR_RV 09-10-2005 08:56 AM

wow, nice looking birds you both have coming along;)

Canuck1 09-10-2005 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more pics. The antennia and pitot tube will only be in place for static and removed before flight. Next I will be working on the exhaust deflectors and exhaust pipes.

Craig.

Peter_OZ 09-10-2005 04:50 PM

Craig,
you are making me feel ashamed, I really do need to get my finger out and get stuck back into the jug. Well get the bloody P51 finished first.

Off for a mornings fly soon, no warbirds today just the astrohog which is a lot of fun.

Mate that is a very pristine worjshop you have there, do you do surgery in there as well? :D
Amazing, my worshop is positively grotty in comparison. Mind you I just open up the garage doors and sweep it out when it is required, yours looks like it is in a basement?

By the way is that the stock cowl or is it an aftermarket one?

cheers
Peter

Canuck1 09-10-2005 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am using the ABS cowl that came with the kit. Seems to fit well. I thought I would give it a try and see how it holds up. I plan on glassing the inside just for some more strength. I took the picture in the clean area. My bench is a total disaster with stuff all over. I keep going from one thing to the next. LOL
I started on the exhaust pipes and the pipe base. I found some plastic tube which is close to scale size. I cut it and placed it on some 1/8th balsa sanded to shape. I recessed the tapered end with a small tapered groved which the real one has. Presently I have glassed the trailing edge of it and the left over resin, I poured into the plastic tube. I will not have to sand the inside, as the resin will seal the balsa and it should be nice and flat. Once this cures I will sand the underside of the piece to match the fuse contour, then glass that area. It should be strong after that.

Craig.

Peter_OZ 09-10-2005 09:01 PM

Craig,
that looks pretty good. I'm actually going to run the exausts from a pitts style muffler bolted on the G62 out through the scale locations. Should not be that hard to do. I will add a bit of scale details like you have but will use a very thin piece of alloy to act as a heat sink for the exaust.

Well my mornings flying turned out to be just 1 flight as the throttle arm came loose from the FS91. Was a simple matter was I was back home to press it back on and add a few drops of thin CA to lock it up again. Engine was very grotty so have cleaned that up at same time!

Wife is in a mood so I might go downstairs to the workshop and get out of her way [:-]
cheers
Peter

Canuck1 09-11-2005 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Peter
It would be great to do some flying. Unfortunately the weather here is just not cooperating. I think fall has come early. Running the actual exhaust through the scale locations is a great idea. That would look great. I finished the exhaust deflectors, and the exhaust pipe. It turned out well. For now they are filled and primed and just taped to the airframe. I will not attach them until I am ready to paint, and they will require painting and some more detailing. I am happy with the results so far. I find doing this stuff to be fun, I think I have an obsession. LOL

Craig.

Peter_OZ 09-11-2005 03:43 AM

Criag,that really does look good. Now obessive would be making those doors open and close according to throttle position and nope I'm not even going to try that one. No one see it in the air anyway.

Just spent 4 hours sanding back red filler from the 51 wing and have a lovely mess on the floor - even my little 3yo said "whats all that mess Daddy?" LOL kids!

Should give him a piece of sandpaper and get him to work. Well barbie is on so had better go do my male provider bit and go bbq an animal or 2!

cheers
Peter

dwr 09-11-2005 09:04 AM

Hey Peter, have I missed something? I thought the doors just aft of the cowl were oil cooler doors?. Saw an illustration of the P-47 in the Smithsonian Air and Space magazine that showed the air ducting system. I showed intake air coming in front cowl and going aft under the wing back to the turbocharger. The exhaust was ducted back there too. Then the boosted air went through the intercooler and back to the engine intake. Is the port just aft of the oil cooler doors a waste gate maybe? The big blister under the aft fuse is the turbocharger location. Doesnt the exhaust exit there? ???. DWR.

Peter_OZ 09-11-2005 05:55 PM

DWR,
mate I'm not exactly sure to be honest. The plane is basically a plumbers delight and the plane was designed around the ducting! The rear outlet just in front of the tail wheel was an outlet from the turbosupercharger so you are most likely correct in that this is the exaust outlet. I had read that they had a lot of trouble with hot gases damaging the tail wheel.

Now it could well be that the the outlet near the oil cooler doors is awaste gate as it does have a butterfly valve on it.

Even so I will prob still route my exhausts to that location simply so I do not have to have an addtional 2 holes cut in the cowling.

It will be at aleast 2 - 3 weeks before I can get back onto the 47 due to the 51 chewing up all of my time at the moment. Lots of work to detail that wing!

cheers
Peter

dwr 09-11-2005 07:13 PM

Hey Peter, I was gonna go back and reread the article in Air and Space but then remembered I lent it to a friend at our flying field. I checked their web site but the article was not accessible. It is the June/July issue. Oh, if you havent already, check out www.onesixright.com/video/aerials.html. It has some good footage of a Peefiddywun. Found the video somewhere on the forum so maybe you already saw it. It is terrific. I'm on their list for the full lenght DVD coming out this fall. Catch you later. DWR

Peter_OZ 09-11-2005 08:47 PM

thanks for that, will have a look
cheers

Canuck1 09-13-2005 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a bit more work on the fuselage. I cut out the fuselage vents just aft of the wing area. Just glassed the inside for extra strength for now. I hope to clean them up shortly. I also made the cockpit air vent that is located in the leading edge of the starboard wing.

Craig.

Peter_OZ 09-13-2005 01:38 AM

nice work. rotary burr on a dremel?

Connery 09-13-2005 11:43 AM

Canuck1,

Your Thunderbolt is looking really good. I have a question for you though. I'm curious that since you went to the trouble of making the scale appearance of the rudder with the hinge locations and curve at the top why you didn't do the same with the elevators?

Canuck1 09-13-2005 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Connery
That is a good question. Not to sure why I did not do that. Next time. I always leave something to improve upon for my next plane.
Peter
I used a half rounded exacto blade to make the curved portions. I slowely wiggled it until it went through. Then I used a standard blade to square the sides up. I just did a little cleaning up of the vents. As they are not completely rounded I cut the corners out and squared them up. I removed the glass cloth and sanded the edges. I just applied some resin on the balsa edges for strength and finishing. I have a pic of the exacto blade I am talking about.

Craig.

Canuck1 09-13-2005 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I cleaned up the vents. Applied putty sanded and through on a quick primer coat to see how they looked. Turned out not to bad. I still require more finish on the outer surface.

Craig.

Peter_OZ 09-13-2005 06:13 PM

ahhh I see said the blind man

you are setting the standard for sure

RWHorton 09-13-2005 10:02 PM

The exhaust is located just aft of the oil cooler doors and at the rear of the plane in front of the tail wheel. Whe the turbocharger wasn't in use the exhaust was dumped out up front and then as the altiude went up the pilot would close the butterflys on the exhaust and the exhaust would then be routed to the turbocharger in the rear.

Peter_OZ 09-13-2005 10:33 PM

makes sense

well I will be scale of a sorts after all

cheers

dwr 09-15-2005 11:02 PM

Hey Peter, I got my G-62 out a couple days ago to get it mounted on the Jug. Needed a half inch of extra plywood to get the correct clearance for the cowl. I am using a slimline pitts style muffler and had to cut back the bottom of the engine box a little. I'll send a pic when I get it mounted again tomorrow. After fitting the engine I removed it and installed a carb kit since the engine has been sitting a couple years. Put it on a stand and she started right up as G-62's always seem to do. Got it adjusted and was seeing 6100 rpm with a 22/10 master airscrew scimitar prop. Is that about right? I forget-- its been so long. I know you are a rep for the Zenoahs so maybe you have some numbers??? Catch you later. DWR.

dwr 09-15-2005 11:37 PM

hello all, here is an interesting site with good stuff on the Jug http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/supercha.htm DWR.

I lifted this off the site:
Supercharging is controlled to maintain the manifold pressure value selected by the pilot, by means of an oil operated supercharger regulator. The regulator, through linkage, varies the position of waste gates in the exhaust pipes just aft of the collector rings and thus controls the volume of exhaust gases directed to the nozzle box of the turbine. The position of a piston in the regulator, is balanced by exhaust pressure and a compression spring; the spring is mechanically loaded to correspond to the desired exhaust pressure valve by a supercharger lever in the cockpit. When the exhaust pressure varies from the selected value, the piston moves in the direction of the greater pressure and opens a port admitting pressurized lubricating oil to that chamber of the regulator which will affect the movement of the waste gates in the proper direction to balance the piston at the neutral position.

Peter_OZ 09-16-2005 12:03 AM

DWR,

good ol G62s they just keep on getting better. Sounds like not bad figues, maybe a bit loaded, you could go down in pitch a tad though. What this does is twofold. oh and throw the MA in the bin or keep it for stirring paint ;) go get a Bolly!

1. Does not give you as much grunt for takeoff which is fine as it makes it more scale - but . . .

2. Allows the engine to unload on downhill legs so that it builds up a very convincing roar and prop while, sounds most impressive

Other thing to do is get the angles carby throat or put on the trumpet pot throat, this stops a lot of the fuel escaping out, improves fuel ecoonomy and basically makes it run sweeter.

Look forward to those pics.

cheers
Peter

dwr 09-16-2005 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Peter, here are the pics. I plan to increase the muffler/engine box clearance and the exhaust tip/fuse clearance by another quarter inch or so. I like the Bolly prop idea but our club has a big noise problem with housing developments closing in on us. We have been going up in prop lenght/pitch to try ease the the db levels. I am interested in the angle carb throat, have never seen one, please tell me more.
The G-62 walbro just about touches the cowl, in fact the forward mounting bolt does touch the cowl. Looks like I have to make an oval opening in the cowl for intake air and to clear the forward bolt. A carb throat will protrude from the cowl. Any thoughts on that? DWR.

Peter_OZ 09-16-2005 06:53 PM

DWR, you do need a bit more clearance on that exaust for sure. Understand perfectly about the noise problem, we have similar issues in this country. Though our club is in an industrial estate with a bloody great 6 lane motorway to one side so noise isn't a concern.

Ok you need to get a zenoah 90 degree carby adaptor, it puts the carby @ 90 deg to the engine itself. They are I think an aftermarket item.
The other throat is what they call a "power throat" It has the throat itself cut at 45 degress. Think they are aftermarket items

ok about your engine revs, 6100 is a bit low for a 22x10, you may want to give it a tweak, new plug and check your high speed mix. It might want a tank or 2 through to get the spiders out of it! :D

ENGINE PROPELLER
G26A 16x8 @ 8,700
G231 Heli Adjust pitch of rotor to obtain
9,000–10,000 rpm of the
engine at full throttle
G26 Marine
G231 Marine Diameter=65–75mm
Pitch ratio 1.9–1.4mm*
G38 Gas 18x10 @ 7,300
G45 Gas 20x10 @ 7,200
G62 Gas 22x10 @ 7,200
GT80 Gas 22x12 @ 7,200
24x10 @ 7,200

So if you can locate the 90 degree carb manifold adaptor it will cure your prob of having it too close to the cowl, which by the way they do not like.

I have a friend here who can get the 90 deg adaptor if you can not track one down over the there. I think that would be better for you then the power throat adaptor.

cheers
PEter

Peter_OZ 09-16-2005 06:56 PM

ok another problem for you. You have hard mounted the 62 to the firewall, the engines, especially at idle is going to shake the buggeries out of your airframe.

You need to mont it on soft mounts or the planes will fall to bits very soon. Just use the Great planes large scale engine isloation kit and modify it for the 62, it will also mean you do not need the ply spacer.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 09-16-2005 07:18 PM

DWR,
these guys have the 90 adaptor

http://www.toni-clark.com/

cheers
Peter

Canuck1 09-17-2005 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got the wing glassed, primed and sanded. Still need to do a little bit of filling with the spot putty. It is begining to look like a P-47.

Craig

Peter_OZ 09-17-2005 10:06 PM

mate i have been filling and sanding all bloody week!! [:@]

At the end of it now anyway, well the red primer anyway.

Peter_OZ 09-17-2005 10:07 PM

Craig,
you putting on the intercooler doors on the rear of your 47?

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 09-17-2005 10:08 PM

hey rcfarmland I see you lurking up there . . . :D