RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2257933-tf-gs-p47-build-yeah-another-bloody-one.html)

racer-RCU 11-22-2004 11:46 AM

RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

1 Attachment(s)
looking goos guys, here is were i'm at with mine, next step is to finish bottom wing sheeting and finish the flap/aielerons planning on using g-62 and SMOKE

racer-RCU 11-22-2004 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more..made out of gutter flashing

Kirk RC 11-23-2004 12:10 AM

Peter, I would leave the cockpit floor in untill you have the fuse all sheated. It serves to give the fuse more stability as you build it out. I just finished all the fuse then removed it, not a problem as the floor is scored and pops out with a exacto. The top and middle stringers are glued in after the horizonal stab is glued down. This allows you to place the tail on and get a better measurement of the length to cut the stringers plus the angle to cut the ends so they mate up with the tail. I had the same problem trying to figure out the stringers ! My 47 is all done except the covering! The cowl from Stans fiberglass fit perfect and is a upgrade from the plastic one provided. The one issue is the 1/5 scale radial engine that TF makes is round and will need to be butchered big time to fit in the oblong 47 cowl.
Traveled constantly the last few weeks and slowed down considerably in the build but I hope to have it all covered/painted by x-mas. The good news is my shop is now clean of balsa dust!!
Give us a update on your 47 when you get a chance.
Kirk

Peter_OZ 11-23-2004 02:56 AM

thanks Racer, yours is looking good, well done.

Kirk just got back from sydney, wife and I went down for the Eagles concert. Man Joe Walsh sure can play that gee tarr. Great concert. Now the wife went shopping and $2000 worth of designer clothes and shoes later the credit card is somewhat heavier to carry. but who's complaining I spend that on my planes without even blinking and she is worth it.

Back to Sydney at 0630 tomorrow but on business this time so no building till the weekend.

Thanks for the advice on those stringers and the cockpit. Been toying with the idea of making a movable canopy and using a air ram to the movement. Not sure if it is feasible but fun to think about. Are those glass cowls much better then the plastic one do you think?

anyway have to go put put mr michief in the bath.

cheers
Peter

The Hawk 11-23-2004 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Here is my result (till now;)) of the Giant TF P-47...

See also my homepage with a lot of pictures of the building process (Text is in Dutch)....

http://home.zonnet.nl/ade_swe/index.html

Alexander

racer-RCU 11-23-2004 04:24 PM

yes the glass cowls r MUCH better, especially if u order them from stans fibertech, i always buy from him, his stuff is top notch

Kirk RC 11-24-2004 12:11 AM

Alexander, Thx for the photos, looks like the razorback version, Keep us posted!

Peter- I hear ya on the Eagles, classic rock&roll ! Good move letting the wife spend a little cash, thats worth at least a new plane or two!
The fiberglass cowl from Stans is a great upgrade and saves a whole lot of time. You often need to give him a call well in advance of when you think youll need it as he often lays them up one at a time. Also dont know about shipping, not heavy but a rather large box. Put together the TF cockpit kit tonight, looks OK but will need to add a few additional touches to make it come alive.
Cheers,
Kirk

Peter_OZ 11-24-2004 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Kirk RC

Alexander, Thx for the photos, looks like the razorback version, Keep us posted!

Peter- I hear ya on the Eagles, classic rock&roll ! Good move letting the wife spend a little cash, thats worth at least a new plane or two!
The fiberglass cowl from Stans is a great upgrade and saves a whole lot of time. You often need to give him a call well in advance of when you think youll need it as he often lays them up one at a time. Also dont know about shipping, not heavy but a rather large box. Put together the TF cockpit kit tonight, looks OK but will need to add a few additional touches to make it come alive.
Cheers,
Kirk
great pic alex, keep up the good work.

Kirk, yup love the Eagles - had to laugh at Glen Frey's comments on idol - said it came accross to the US from the UK and now the plaugue has hit our shores. He did thanks us all for flying with the Eagles as he knew we all had a choice - you know the airline pilot spiel - anyway Glen said we could have gone to the Eagles - orrr gone to the Oz idol final gee now wonder which one I would do. EAGLES rock

Joe Walsh did his usual comedy bits but was ably assisted by his helmet cam - had to be there. Anyway back to aeroplanes.

Will check out Stans, be a bit before I'm ready for the cowl. Yeah the cockpit kit is pretty basic but is a good starting point.

anyway off soon to have dinner with my boss

cheers
Peter

racer-RCU 11-24-2004 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
KIRK
in one of your recent post u said u had to butcher the radial engine to fit in the cowl, what do u mean butcher it needs no butchering, the real engine is the same shape, there was a lip on the real one near the bottom of the cowl that covered up the bottom of the engine and directed flow to the oil coolers, check out this site they have alot of scale acc for p-47, and theres is just about the same size, would work perfect, they have a nice dukmmy radial with the cowl chin insert

http://www.aerotechmodels.com/P47.htm

i got my g-62 today, worked a little on mounting it, illed some low spots on fuse, fiberglassed back of gear doors to stregthen them up, started working on rocket pods for bottom of wings, never seen it done on a model so i thought i would be the first, went to lowes and spent 45 minutes ttrying to find something light enough cause the hobby shop doesnt carry 3/4 inch wide tubes, tyhe green one is a little plastic one of one of my models that has a 20 inch span, i just scaled it up to figure out the mine should be 20 inches

Peter_OZ 11-25-2004 12:01 AM

Kirk,
that cowl from Stans - does it have the chin lip built in?

cheers
Peter

Kirk RC 11-25-2004 01:12 AM

Peter,
No the cowl doesnt have the oil cooler lip, but with a little work you could fab one.

Racer, I also looked at the AeroTech site and looks like they have a lot of good 47 accessories. The TF dummy radial will require that I chop half the cylinder length off. I have used the dummy on the 1/7 AT6 and 47 and they fit fine. Maybe its my engine ZDZ80, but its the same size as the ZDZ 60 and should fit so who knows. At the end of the day 5ft away and you cant tell.

Guys, what type of prop hub are you thinking about? Tru turn has a 2" dia. one that looks good. I have the smaller size TT on my 1/7 47 and it looks great.
Kirk

Peter_OZ 11-25-2004 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Kirk RC

Peter,
No the cowl doesnt have the oil cooler lip, but with a little work you could fab one.

Racer, I also looked at the AeroTech site and looks like they have a lot of good 47 accessories. The TF dummy radial will require that I chop half the cylinder length off. I have used the dummy on the 1/7 AT6 and 47 and they fit fine. Maybe its my engine ZDZ80, but its the same size as the ZDZ 60 and should fit so who knows. At the end of the day 5ft away and you cant tell.

Guys, what type of prop hub are you thinking about? Tru turn has a 2" dia. one that looks good. I have the smaller size TT on my 1/7 47 and it looks great.
Kirk

Gday Kirk,
been looking at some of those accs too. Quite like the idea of the wing pylons but not sure if they would look too small, same with their dummy prop.

Thought that the cowl may not have the inlet lip but no worries, not hard to make one up.

Not sure on the spinner yet, have heard TT are ok but never seen their products. Let me know if you get one and what you think of it.

cheers
for now

Peter

racer-RCU 11-25-2004 10:30 AM

i just e-mailed aerotech to get the dimensions on them so i'll let yall know if they will be big enough, they may even require a lil modification on the contour to fit the wing. i have also been working on the actuating arms for the tailwheel gear doors.

Peter_OZ 11-26-2004 11:10 PM

racer, excellent, thanks mate

what type of setup fopr the doors are you using? There was a thread by adsala showing his tail door setup, might save you some time and thought?

cheers
Peter

racer-RCU 11-29-2004 02:49 PM

oh i have my doors done did almost the same as he did, it's been real cold here and glue is not cooperating. i just got off the phone with aerotech and he said that they would fit perfectly all of his accesories would, probably even the sliding canopy, but i already know how i'm gonna do that. but within the next 2 weeks i will definately be ordering some of his stuff including the wing pylons, has anyone gotten to the step of fitting the canopy, razorback?

Peter_OZ 11-29-2004 07:08 PM

Gday Racer,
no mate no where near the canopy stage - mine will be bubble top anyway. Good news on the accs from areotech - I'm tempted now but $ are low as I have been buying up JR digital servos on ebay. So now I'm poor for a bit!

Still toying with the idea of sliding canopy but one that I can open and close via air ram.

cheers
Peter

racer-RCU 11-29-2004 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here r some pics, motor is a g-62

racer-RCU 11-29-2004 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and here r some pics of the cockpit kit that i'm installing.

Peter_OZ 11-29-2004 11:50 PM

cool racer, mate with the mounting of the g62 is that the same template for the mountings as per the kit or did u need to modify it?

racer-RCU 11-30-2004 03:38 PM

it's the same i used the great planes solations mount, i still need to put 1/4" spacer to get the prop in fornt of the cowl

Peter_OZ 11-30-2004 06:17 PM

thanks for that racer.

one other question. Did you need to move the location for the throttle cable or is it the same as for the US41 shown in the plans?

I don't have my G62 yet so can't measure anything.

cheers
Peter

racer-RCU 11-30-2004 08:56 PM

i'm probably going to mount the servo somewere on the firewall because the throttle motion in perpendicular to the the motion of the servo and a bellcrank system seems to complicated.

Peter_OZ 11-30-2004 09:36 PM

racer,
ok but is the exit location of the pushrod for the throttle through the firewall as per plans or do you need to reposition it to suit the G62?

hoping to get my G62 early next year. Have spent all my pocket money on digital servos on ebay of late, been picking up some good deals, about 1/2 normal price. Even got a JR matchbox cheap.

cheers
Peter

racer-RCU 12-04-2004 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
peter u been doin any work on your jug, right now i can only do a little at a time, right now i have been working on filling/sanding, ailerons flaps, wing tips, cockpit fit, opening canopy, still working on tailwheel doors, just a lot of misc dreded work lol, should be done building by end of december knock on wood (knocks on head). here r some pics... this plane is friggen hudge, takes up most of my work area.

Kirk RC 12-07-2004 11:34 PM

At last all the building on mine is done!! The scale cockpit is installed and the cowl aligned. I have finish sanded the entire bird put on Balsa-rite and now time to cover. I know you guys will hate it but Im doing monokote this time, I want this one to be a weekend flyer and will keep the scale details to a minimum. My 1/7 th scale 47 is glassed with all the rivits and weathered etc etc. but just not in the mood for this one. Also got the pits muffler for the ZDZ 80, $120 ouch!! Now just need to add servos and a receiver to my X-mas list and Im in business. Bad news is with all the Job travel the final push to finish will take a few months, but gotta keep the $$$ rolling in. Peter- are you still at it? Haven't seen an update in awhile. Also what are you guys going to do about the tail wheel gear doors? I keep flip flopping between doing them and not.
Kirk