RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   tf p-47 gear install (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2628156-tf-p-47-gear-install.html)

timothy thompson 02-06-2005 05:07 PM

tf p-47 gear install

Hi i have a question. In the installation robart gear in the giant p-47 the manual states to use screws not blind nuts to install the gear due to the small surface area . I built this plane before and used blind nuts but the problem was the blind nuts would come loose because the mounts are so thin. I am rebuilding this wing with brand new gear and want to be able to remove the gear for maintanance . The first time I had to move the ply mounting plates closer so the blind nuts would work. I must make the gear removable without and cutting ofthe wing structure.

timothy thompson 02-07-2005 09:34 AM

RE: tf p-47 gear install

There are a lot of you who built this did you use screws or blind nuts

bkmust 02-07-2005 09:52 AM

First I always beef up the area of retract attachment. Usually I add a thickness of aircraft ply under the plates. I then use wood screws as large as the area will allow. Never had a problem yet. I also add some fiberglass in the stress areas.

timothy thompson 02-09-2005 08:07 AM

any additional comments?????

Bax 02-09-2005 11:34 AM

If you use blind nuts, then use a bit of non-permanent thread-locker. That will keep the bolts from coming loose due to vibration. You may have to modify the mounting plates to make them thick enough to retain the blind nuts. Shouldn't be difficult.

parkerspop 02-09-2005 12:27 PM

I just installed the same retracts and I used wood screws. I also added some more strength by adding more wood under each retract brace. I will also add some glass to all joints.

Asanders 02-09-2005 01:54 PM

I tapped the mount for threaded screws. I have done this on both of my giant P-51's and others . I have just tapped the mounts on my P-47. I think they are 6/32's. On my smaller planes I use the 4/40's

I dont like using blind nuts on landing gear mounts. On most installations they are too hard to get to if something goes wrong like they come loose or they lock up tight like Bax suggested to use the non permanent thread locker.
just my 3 cents worth ! [8D]

Hi Parkersprop I just noticed you are in West Jordan. I am in Sandy. How far along are you on your P-47?
KirksRC is also building the P47 He is also in Utah.

timothy thompson 02-10-2005 09:41 PM

Thanks your right the blind nut comes loose and your screwed! NO pun inteded. I am rebuilding the mounts on my bird after two years of constant flying. the good news is the main spars are ok a few shear webs were cracked. Why do they tell you to put the grain parralell with the wing if the grain was longitudinal would be a lot stronger. I will use gussets and carbon fiber to strengthen the area.

Kirk RC 02-11-2005 10:32 PM

Ditto on beefing up the area and using screws, looks to work just fine. Alan- come on over and see my 47 is almost ready for engine test runs.
Kirk