RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   The Gathering Of Corsairs (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/264377-gathering-corsairs.html)

Juice 09-10-2002 12:28 AM

The Gathering Of Corsairs

It was awesome! I was one of the first to get there on Sunday and one of the last to leave that evening. It was worth every second of the 9 hour drive from Toronto, Canada.

Only 7 of the promosed 14 or 15 Corsairs showed up. But considering that I've never seen a full-size Corsair before, 7 was enough. There was only one FG-1D present called "Marine Dreams". This is going to be my next scale project when I'm finished with my Top Flite kit. The others were three F4U-4's, an 5, an F4U-5N, and an F4U-5N. Only the FG-1D and the F4U-5 didn't fly that weekend.

The best part of the whole air show was at the very end... All five of the flying Corsairs starting their engines... standing in their propwash as they all taxi out to the runway... hearing those Pratt & Whitney engines roaring as they take off... an F/A-18 taking off behind them... the Corsairs and the F/A-18 doing low high-speed fly by's... the warbird heritage formation wtih the F/A-18 and four Corsairs flying in formation (one of the Corsairs flew home after doing a few low high-speed fly by's)... the four remaining Corsairs doing some formation flying on their own... then the Corsair doing a countless number of more low high-speed fly by's before all buy one fly home... A Corsair lover's dream come true! :rolleyes:

Did anyone enjoy it as much as I did? :D

Once I digitize the video, I'll try to get a web site going to share them with you guys.

Juice

inthetrees 09-10-2002 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
drove out Thurs. stayed Fri. & Sat. A great event :D :D :D

inthetrees 09-10-2002 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:D :D :D line up

inthetrees 09-10-2002 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
on the ramp Thursday evening 9-5-02 :D :D :D :D

Tmoth4 09-10-2002 03:16 AM

That was the best airshow I've ever been to, even without the Corsairs. They were just the icing on the cake. There were warbirds everywhere. We drove over from Cleveland on Thursday and stayed Fri and Sat. We had our chairs right along the taxiway during the show. It was also great to stand next to or behind the warbirds as they started up. Even my wife loves the sound of those growling engines. The whole show was excellent with never a dull moment. Even with the thousands of spectators there, there was always a good view.

JimS

CHassan 09-10-2002 05:14 AM

Was a great show. Alot of in your face planes and flyng. Standing around them when they fire up and the flight line seemed close.

VoughtF4U 09-10-2002 11:40 AM

Great Time

I had a great time at the airshow... The Corsairs were awesome, even if only half of the expected ones showed up. My only complaint about the whole event were the ramp rats (ground staff) that were supposed to be controlling the crowds when everyone was allowed around the planes.

I saw way too many people, children and adults, who were walking up and rapping on the sides of the planes, pushing and pulling the props, banging the control surfaces around. Now I admit I touched it too, but I was very respectful of someone elses million dollar machine. I actually saw several people step up on the flaps for a photo, definitely without the owner's permission. And get this, three different times on saturday morning I saw four seperate people actually climb in the cockpit for a photo. After the first group did it, I said something to the second and third group, and they both said they thought that was why the cockpits were open. Can you believe that?!!!

To top it off, I said something to the lady who was supposed to be in charge of the warbird ramp were the Corsairs were, and she rather rudely said "Imagine that" to me when I said people were climbing into the Corsairs. I mentioned this later to one of the owner's and he said that several other owners had noticed the poor crowd control and were not coming back the next year unless something was done about it.

Other than that, it was a great weekend for a Corsair fan...

SMALLFLY- 09-10-2002 12:28 PM

I've got 115 pictures. That jet powered waco was unreal was'nt it.

pittsdriver 09-10-2002 12:58 PM

F4U, Its amazing how ignorent people are around warbirds anywhere. Over the years I have owned and flown several warbirds and just can't belive what the people do. I always had to watch for kids trying to do chinups on the T-6 pitot tube. Cought one guy putting his kids up on the fabric wing of our N3N and he was miffed when I told him to get them the hell off. Have parked the airplanes at fuel stops and overnight and there is always people who give no thought to just climbing right up and opening canopys etc. Of course these are the same type of people that show up at the model field with thier kids running wild poking holes and touching everything. I know a lot of guys who rarely take thier airplanes to shows anymore for just this reason and its getting worse. By the way the F4U-5 coded WF was done here in Idaho by John Lane of airpower Unlimited. First post restoration flight was the Friday a week before the show. He was there flying Butch Shroeder's P-51 Margaret at the Corsair fly-in. He has three more FG1-Ds under his roof right now including one that is almost done. It is the most accurate Corsair ever done and should be Oshkosh grand champion next year. He won grand champion in 96 with a TBM Avenger and this one is way more spectacular. Don

Juice 09-11-2002 12:33 PM

Approach in formation

1 Attachment(s)
This is my favourite approach shot.

The quality isn't that good (it's a still shot from digitized video), but I think it's too cool not to share. :D

_jon_ 09-11-2002 02:57 PM

Excellent airshow !

1 Attachment(s)
I was there along with my Dad and 3 close friends on Saturday. The Mt. Comfort airport is about 5 miles from where I was born and raised. Used to be able to see some good airshows while sitting in the backyard, back when the Confederate AirForce put on shows there. Here are a few pics that my buddy Mark took.

Jon

_jon_ 09-11-2002 02:58 PM

Indy Airshow

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of Tom Wood's Bearcat, MAN !!! what a prop and what lil' clearance.

Jon :)

_jon_ 09-11-2002 03:04 PM

airshow

1 Attachment(s)
And the nice Corsair lineup (my favorite warbird, my NWHT 85" Corsair is gonna' have the blue with green and white markings scheme on it).

Jon :)

daven 09-11-2002 05:15 PM

Matt Chapmanns Green trimmed Mustang

I am working on a corsair in which I plan to use the green trim like Matt Chapmanns.

I've found a few pretty good pictures on the Net, but if anyone took any shots of that particular mustang, I would love to see them.

Please email.

Thanks,

[email protected]

Matt-RCU 09-11-2002 07:49 PM

Hey Pitts Driver

It one of my pet peevs too....some people have no idea of the value, the delicacy, the importance of items on display ....whether it be at an airshow, a car show, or otherwise.

Dago Red 09-11-2002 08:12 PM

now you need to go to oshkosh--I think more than 7 corsairs will show up. there was many mustangs, and allkinds of warplanes. and the warbird show, spectactular. you all should try to go. this year was my 4th year and i love every minute of it.

blangle 09-11-2002 08:20 PM

Incredible!

Anyone have a schedule or website for these airshows? Is this part of the Confederate Airforce shows? I saw one as a kid and boy did it leave an impression...

Dago Red 09-11-2002 08:45 PM

I think the EAA website has the airshow listings.

_jon_ 09-11-2002 09:14 PM

Indy airshow

1 Attachment(s)
Daven,

I only saw these 2 mustangs at the airshow.

Jon

_jon_ 09-11-2002 09:15 PM

Indy airshow

1 Attachment(s)
another mustang

_jon_ 09-11-2002 09:16 PM

Indy airshow

1 Attachment(s)
And this nice p-47

daven 09-12-2002 04:36 PM

_jon_,

Did I say Mustang?

I'm sorry, I meant Corsair. Do you have any other phots of the Corsair with the Green and white trim?

Here is a link to the corsair I am building, and I want to use that scheme. Any other photos would be great?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...70&forumid=142]

BentWing 09-12-2002 05:36 PM

Juice:

Let me know if you need pictures of marines dream... I know the owner of the plane (ray diekman) and could get some cool pics if you're going for the "complete" scale look...

Juice 09-12-2002 09:06 PM

BentWing,

Marine's Dream was my favorite Corsair at the show. Since Corsairs are a rare site in Toronto, Canada, I decided right there that it would be my next scale project. So I took about 64MB of pictures of it. My TF Corsair that I'm currently struggling with is only a semi-scale project.

Cool pics would be cool... it would be much appreciated!

I thought I overheard a grounds crew say that Mr. Diekman had prior commitments that weekend that he couldn't get out of (simulator training?). That's too bad, it would have been nice to see his Corsair fly.

Thanks,
Juice

BentWing 09-12-2002 09:13 PM

Cool,

If you're ever out in California, you might want to stop by "Planes of Fame" in Chino, that's where he lives, and there's a bunch of awesome WW2 planes there, definately worth a look if you're ever out there (it's about 45 mins east of LA)

Have fun with your Corsair!