RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2671070-kmp-new-spitfire-mk-xiv.html)

alanc 01-21-2006 06:53 PM

RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

what a star!!! nice isnt it?? the engine had a screw vibrate loose on the maiden flight, resulting in the carb barel hanging out, NOT the best of occurences with a brand new model, (yes, he locktighted it back) model behaved its self impecably, a true lady!!

Beechbum 01-21-2006 07:19 PM

Dang it! Tried to order, and got a machine. Forgot it was the weekend. Guess I'll wait till Monday.

SpitfireMKI 01-21-2006 08:28 PM

Started through the box a bit today, one beef I have, and the hurri had the same problem is the servo hatch covers never fit properly, always way too tight, nicely laser cut as they are, I know what a small problem-right..... but this is an arf not a kit and stuff like this should "fall together". (Sorry)

The paint job is workable, though I'm going to go back with my own paint and clean up the demarcation lines and do some weathering/shading at the same time. Debating how to put some panel lines on, maybe use a pencil then seal it in with the clearcoat. I usually do the primer panel lines but I'm not looking to go that far on this one.

I'm still marveling at the scale like lines and scoops ! What a nice change for a spitfire.

alanc - Spits generally tend to be pitch sensitive with the elevator, any comments as far as this one goes ? Any noticable Rudder/Elevator coupling ? The tail looks more scale than all the spit arfs I can think of, my old Kyosho looked like a MkI with a Mk22 tail ! Hah !

My plans for dual elevator servos with Dave Brown pushrods looks like a go and a pull pull rudder will be used, did this on my CMP Spit and GSP FW190 and it worked well.

The Ryobi looks like it will fit very well, right now I plan to use the longshaft I have, it appears the plug and wire will hang out a bit. I'll know more once I get my conversion parts in, also it will need to come up with some cooling holes.

Should have the wing together tomorrow unless I go do some flying.

S1

DVM100 01-22-2006 12:01 AM

Hey Andrew,

any chance of a decent sized Beaufighter in the future? My unlce flew them in New Guinea during WWII and I would love to get one about 70-90 inches. I have the Traplet plans, but one of your ARF's would be outstanding.
Dave

alanc 01-22-2006 04:36 AM

sorry although i know it flys well, i cant comment on what the thumbs have to do, because mines still in the box!! ill ask ian, or martin to come on, and comment (ian, designer, martin, kniverflyer, built the one in the piccys shown) i think you will al love it, and, i suppose there will be one who will overpower it remeber, it flys on an rcv 91, and flys well, one comment i got in an im, was, will it go vertical!!!!!!!!!!! sorry, if the full size wont do it, then i would not expect the model too after having a good look at mine , i am going to do some mods, as follows
Elevator, fitting a joining wire, with a central tiller arm, and a carbon pushrod, to a bellcrank, then with ball joints to the servo,

Some scale exhausts from dave tillbury, MASTER MODELLOR look on r/c fliers

some detail to the flaps, ribbing, that sort of thing

lose the plastic wheelwell liners, line with balsa, or ply

GOT to have a retract tailwheel with doors

mine is white, friend of mine is getting me the ORIGINAL paint, used on the rolls royce mk 19, P.R.U spit, in service over here, mine is going to ian (designer) to be turned into something that should not be flown (ive seen his work, genius is not good enough) panel lines, camera housing etc etc

OH YES and convert it to mk19 with the appropiate spinner, me thinks the RR one has a mustang spinner, easy cheat!!

power? havnt decided yet, tempted with an rcv, but have bucket loads of os 90s, and 120s can i justify another engine----ermm STAY TUNED!!

morro 01-22-2006 04:45 AM

:DRight you guys enough gloting!! [>:]I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how do I go about getting one sent to Aus.

Todd

WarbirdMadMan 01-22-2006 04:59 AM

I second that, third it and fourth it aswell:D:D:D It's unanimous. Please send some kits Downunder!!!!! We don't want to have to wait until March:([&o]:([&o].

Can we get them from the US somewhere. Is anyone willing to ship them out without taking an arm or a leg. Although I'd almost give an arm or a leg!!!! (Maybe a leg , that way I could still fly:D)

KMM (Tim)

Idigbo 01-22-2006 01:19 PM

The Spit is a real pleasure to land, with no mixing on flap to elevator. On the final half circuit, at around 2/3 to 1/2 power with the RCV, go straight to full flap, (no slow servos required as the real flaps were very quick to come down, and with only an up or down position too) the model doesn't dive or pitch up, although it does adopt a slightly nose down attitude. Reduce the throttle to control the descentComes in very smooth. Full flap touch and goes are a treat too, as you can tuck the flaps away on the roll to go again, no problem.

Ian.

SpitfireMKI 01-23-2006 09:04 AM

Watch the instructions, they tell you to place the servo plate in so the arm faces the wing root on the aileron, it needs to face the tip in order to line up the control rod. Otherwise you'll be screwing the horn into nothing as the horn block does not extend that far inward.

Servos are installed in the wing, I changed the CA hinges to the Radio South Blue jobs, going to paint the flap area tonight and join the halves. Installing the horizontal today at work :D it's great working in the UAV business ! access to shop is a real privledge.

More later....

S1

alanc 01-23-2006 11:40 AM

spitfire is correct, and i forgot, the factory have changed the position of the block, that supports the aileron horn, as said, dont have the slot for the arm near the root, make it toward the tip,---on r./c flyers, we have found all of the small bugs -, they have all been relayed to the plant, DONT WORRY!! they are small hic-ups in a fine bird, but, you need to go look, any problems, im me, and i will get one of the guys to reply

SpitfireMKI 01-23-2006 01:29 PM

alanc,

Could you detail what other early bugs you've come across here on RCU ? That's loads of work looking up all that info especially with dial-up [:o]

Please ? I'll buy you lunch down the pub next time I'm over the pond ! Might be a year or two though !

S1

alanc 01-23-2006 01:50 PM

DIAL-UP DIAL-UP i thought you guys started this interweb thing?

anyway here goes
aileron horn re-inforcement has been put in a differant place, turn the hatch round, as said

its possible that the plastic liners are tooo shallow, line the wells with balsa, or ply (MUCH better, and takes less time) and SO much nicer 30 minute job

BUT FIRST! its possible that the wells are out of line, when fitting an oleo(strut) elongate the area where the wheel sits, and line with balsa, 10 minut e job

swich the flap hinges for leaf an pin hinges,(kavan?) the mylar ones are ok, but beyond 70 degrees, the servo strains, make sure you get good travel, nothing wrong with the kit here, just a bit of fitting needed no time at all, as you have to git a hinge dontya?

cant think of any more, ill go look, these minor irksome things have been sorted at the factory, the next batch is already in build

some of you may wish to fit tailwheel doors, and a retract rear leg, im afraid you will have too look on flyers for this, there IS a covenient former, to hang it on, just in the right place

worries over??? wasnt too bad, was it? just wait till you see what else we have got planned! sorry, cant say ill get a wocket up my rear!! ill keep in touch anything at all you arnt sure about, let me know, ill do my best !

alanc 01-23-2006 03:54 PM

to any of you gentlemen who are interested, the guys on r/cflyers have put on the spit thread, LOADS of mk14/19 standard, and PRU 3views, photos, etc, hell of a referance file, if anyone wants to upload to here, feel free got to go now, american chopper is about to start

SpitfireMKI 01-23-2006 04:26 PM

Thanks !

alanc 01-23-2006 05:00 PM

sorry spitifre, i know you are on dial up, but i hope that soemone here will put the 3view up, its gto all the detail you need

mfranke 01-23-2006 09:21 PM

Hey guys
has anyone gotten theirs from KMP yet. I ordered mine several months ago. If you need a 3 view PM me
Mark

AKondor 01-23-2006 11:05 PM

HI Everyone:

For those who were asking if we have a 80 inch + warbird coming the answer is .... YES. It will be here around summer time. It will be first displayed in Toledo.

OK, one hint for now.... multi-crew:).
Cheers,

AKondor 01-23-2006 11:12 PM

HI Again:
For those who want to see a copy of the instructions included in North America with the Spitfire, we will have them posted to our website shortly onto our "Instructions" page. I think Alan (YT International) may have a very comprehensive set available from the UK that were prepared by their team and not the factory set. I will try to get a copy of those as well and post them when it becomes available.
Cheers,

SpitfireMKI 01-24-2006 09:42 AM

Oh a little birdie told me it might be a B-17 ! [X(]

Hey YT and KMP guys, not asking to raise any hopes, but I would think if you guys released a Beaufighter that one could mount two G-26's or two Ryobi 31's you'd have a winner. The Mosquito is nice, but the Beau is just a tough looking plane and it's just not modeled enough. In addition, there are plenty of different paint schemes and various model configurations. Think hard ! I could see dropping $800-1000 for an unpainted ARF.

Hanger 9 has a thread going asking for suggestions, all you see there is the same old stuff, corsair, bearcat, FW190, Me109, yadda yadda. At least you guys are starting to "see the light" and are branching out.

Wish you guys would do an 80+ Hurri or Typhoon.......

S1

BTW: Spit is coming along, got the flaps painted, fake wing ribs painted on the flaps, tail is in, joining the wing today, rudder tonight.

Richard L. 01-24-2006 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: SpitfireMKI

Oh a little birdie told me it might be a B-17 ! [X(]

I believe it's an F7F Tigercat: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3799273/tm.htm[/link]

SpitfireMKI 01-24-2006 10:32 AM

Yeah the tigercat has already been announced, it's the one that hasn't that Andrew is referring too........we'll see ! [:-] Yes the Tigercat did carry two crew, but usually just one, I think that's why he's saying "Multi crew"

Back to the spit:

You know, I already glued my hinges in the flaps and don't feel like digging them out. One problem I see here and also on the hurricane is that in order to get a proper gap between the flap and the trailing edge, the t/e of the flap will overhang the wing t/e. The flap needs to be shortened at the l/e in order to fit properly and still get the throw. Even with the pinned hinges. That is a pain when it's supposed to be an arf. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent plane, but I think some of the competitors have the fit and finish down a little better. Of course as I said, they're not doing cool planes like you guys, so it's a equal pitch I suppose.......

I really see how you could turn this plane into a real project and with enough work, it could be a real nice super detailed 'scale' model. In my case, I'm choosing to add minor details where practical and not where it's a pain (retract tailwheel + cockpit etc) I can see the weight going up real fast doing this.

I'm sure some of our British friends are going to have some real show stoppers from this plane !

S1

alanc 01-24-2006 12:32 PM

sorry about the flaps, teehing troubles, this model WILL be the showstopper it deserves to be, factory is acting on our niggles (actually, they got an ermm, telling off) we know they will come through, if you can get 70degrees, you will be fine, and dont bother about adding weight, ian has ballasted up the spit, and it handles it well, i would think mine is going to be the heaviest,---doesnt bother me a JOT!

and that bad boy AK didnt mention multi engined, he mentioned multi crew--
did also someone mention bigger birds? there are plans, but, dont hold your breath--early days yet, but dont sell those 50cc gas engines just yet!!!!!!

SpitfireMKI 01-24-2006 01:21 PM

alanc,

Answer our prayers (At least mine) and get the 50cc Hurri or Tiffie out ! :D Yeah Baby !

No problem on the spit flaps, I'll go for a little discount on the "new release" ! Hah !

Bailing out and going to fly our gas 4 stroke telemaster !

S1

AKondor 01-24-2006 11:37 PM

HI:
Sorry guys, but we just sold out of Spits. Thanks to everyone who has supported us so far!!! We appreciate your patience and dedication and expect our next shipment of Spits in about 2 months.

We will glaldy provide anyone a list of dealers who may have some in stock around the country.
Cheers,

sandseeker 01-25-2006 05:26 AM

Can anyone post a link to R/C Flyers?

TA