RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Corsair buffs and historic hunters........ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3098639-corsair-buffs-historic-hunters.html)

D Bronk 06-22-2005 04:12 PM

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

I dont have a scanner or a digital camera and I need someone with a scanner and a SQUADRON/SIGNALS book D&SVOL.#56 PART2 F4U-4 through F4U-7, F4U CORSAIR in detail&scale,by BERT KINZEY.I`M REQUESTING A SCANNED IMAGE OF page 44,TOP picture.It`s, BuNo122007(SHE`S A F4U-5) to help get some exposure, so it might RING a BELL or TWO in regards to finding more photos and info on this plane while it was in active duty durring the KOREAN WAR.This plane is marked"410"on cowl,and "T"on tail., it belonged to VF-14 . this photo indicates she flew off CVB-42 USS FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT,but was that ,the only deck it flew from,where did it go after that(soccer war FRANCE)etc. etc.etc??I want to build a "history"document to go with my Top Flite F4U CORSAIR 60.Building into F4U-5 so`s to be scale correct with supplied decals and yellow hi-lites as pictured on the "GOLD EDITION" BOX TOP(SLOWLY CORRECTING,THE, INCORRECT FEATURES OF KIT). I`ve got a few requests in regards to this topic but would appreciate help getting an image on to this thread first so as to have a visual to help in disscussion.I know there are some real good FACTS and FIGURES men(ladies too) out there so lets`LOCK and LOAD'and see if we can`t help folks make a few more scale correct top flites out there..[>:]..pre thanks: FLY for NOW!!!!!!!!! DAVE B. ps. hope I`m not too repetative with this topic sorry if I am:(

D Bronk 06-23-2005 06:24 PM

RE: Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

I hate to Beg,but; PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE, SOMEBODY,please,help me out here[:o].Or tell me if i`m in the:(a)wrong forum,:(b)these series books are not sold outside my local area,and i`m the only guy on the planet wih this book:(c)everybody`s like me,and has the book but,no scanner, and,no camera??[:'(] D.B[&o]

bosssman 06-23-2005 07:37 PM

maybe not what you are looking for, but this site http://users.skynet.be/bk317032/Part...u_JDS2_F4U.htm has a LOT of information - might have something along the lines you're looking for.....

randy

p.s. just did some "browsing" and the plane in question is at this link, 2d bird down.....http://users.skynet.be/bk317032/Part...ings_F4U-5.htm

GAP-RCU 06-23-2005 08:01 PM

D Bronk,

I'm sure your intentions are noble, but my copy of said publication very clearly indicates that all material within is copyright, and no part of the book should be reproduced by any means. One may make a personal copy, but it'd be illegal to post it here for general public use.

Sorry, Gary

D Bronk 06-24-2005 12:34 AM

Hello GAP-RCU, and BOSSMAN;THANK YOU BOTH!!!!The last thing I want,is to be sued for,is,the quest for increased knowledge of my scale plane,and,my humble hobby.I`ll go the requested permission route next.I do apreciate the heads-up,really!The writer of that book is probably interested in anything I might uncover in regards to said plane too,so maybe they will play ball,or at least set me straight as who the actual photographer was.I know they got it from NMNA.I suppose this will become a very large task yet, but,truly hope not.In the mean time I`ll check out BOSSMANS suggested web sites and see what I can find there and will let you guys know.FLY for NOW!!!!DAVE B.

D Bronk 06-24-2005 01:57 PM

Thanks BOSSMAN -- ,thats definitely the BIRD i`m a hunt`en`fer,EH.I had been at that site and seen that image before,but it never occurred to me,to post the address as you have done there for me. Thank you again.Now at least I`m in the boundaries of the law!!,and there is a quick click to the image I`m after,ON this thread now.I hope guy`s will take the time to look she`s a Mean Look`n,FIGHT`n Machine.I know it`s only a computer generated image(artists`perception) but it`s a start .I`ve now requested permission for use of said image and hope to get a positive reply soon,so that I can plaster it around,maybe "JARRING"some memories loose of the guys`who had contact with good OL`"410",or copies from fellows here of photos I can use. I`ll try to list the details of what I`m actually after as soon as I have a chance. Plus I `ll get in contact with SQUADRON/SIGNAL for their permission of photograph use as well.I`ll also peck their brains on this subject too and see if they can`t me out as well. Can`t be too PROUD just finished begging ya`ll,ya know.Might as well keep at it. Seems to work!! Feel this thread will get quite interesting and usefull to those "scale" building the Top Flite Corsair 60 and using supplied decals in GOLD kit,even if only 25% of my questions get answers. FLYforNOW !!!!!DAVE B.

D Bronk 06-26-2005 03:41 PM

HI. folks please keep in mind i know I`m going off my own topic here,but would still like you to keep an EYE out for photos that I need for my project PLEASE!!Ihave a lot of links and literrature on all the BENT WINGERS`so please ask me for what you`re looking for and I can probably help a person out.I know you can kill alot of time on "HUNTING" DOWN INFO on this "BIRD" so don`t hesitate to ask!! I`ll be glad to help if I can do so.I`m going to start to put a few things on this thread that will please ALL CORSAIR builders and fans. http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/querusa_e.ht GREAT site for figuring out your finish.either if you are mixing up your own paint or looking to find pre-made.You`ll find computer generated chips with codes so you can buy a small jar of paint to make your own color chip to match to.Beats purchasing a chip set that will only get used 1 or 2 times.This way you still have a jar of color,on hand, that can be used for small touch ups!! D.B.

D Bronk 06-26-2005 05:24 PM

DANG,that address above shows an error page.Just open`er up and click the address shown there, and HUNT around you will find what you need ,and some.I must be entering this stuff in wrong!!!NOW this one will keep all corsair info "hunters" busy for days http://f4ucorsair.tld-productions.com/ there is an awsome amount of info here even some history for your homework.PLEASE, let me know if I`m wasting my time with this,or if it`s helpful Either way, give me some comments,good or bad. I just love these planes!!!! D.B.

D Bronk 06-26-2005 06:49 PM

This is for BOSSMAN,SHANE, and,HAMMER too,( CHANCE-VOUGHT)these ARE factory assembly-line,blue prints of a F4U-1 invaluable if you want to make that version from your TOP-FLITE kits.You`ll rarely see that one at your flying field,definately won`t be a cookie cutter airplane.SURE to draw a crowd at show-time!!! IF nothing else would make nice poster for the wall.GOT more of that if you want it???FLY for NOW!!!!DAVE B. http:www.f4ucorsair.com/tdata/merged/fuse.jpg . http://www. f4ucorsair.com/data/leftwing.jpg http//www.f4ucorsair.com/data/cockpit.htm

Chad Veich 06-27-2005 09:04 AM

D Bronk, I would suggest posting your question at the site below. There are several regulars to the site who are Corsair experts and will be able to help you out with the history of this bird from start to finish. They also may be able to post pics or at least point you in the right direction. Give it a try, these are some very nice and knowledgeable warbird buffs. Post your question in the first forum, titled "The WIX Hangar". Good luck, Chad Veich.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/index.php

D Bronk 06-27-2005 01:09 PM

Thanks CHAD .I~LL chase down that lead as soon as i can probably won`t be today tough I don`t now what happened with my email.Didn`t get any yesterday(odd) and now today I check it again and there`s "326" MESSAGES so I really have some "WEEDING"to do just to get through it all!!! I definatly hope your LEAD pans out for me because i`have probably over 1500 hours envolved already just looking for records,and, such,and all I`ve got at this point is one photo in a book and a few known facts.I don`t get dissapointed anymore,when I get skunked in my search.JUST seem to Learn a little more, on all the other CORSAIRs,that,I AM not looking for:eek: but any way I do enjoy the topic alot and have spoken to some great people and historians all of them do, try ,to help a person No doubt!! I`m thinking of asking a SCALE judge that I have talked to a few months back to visit this forum from time to time to answer some of the SCALE builders questions that also pop up in regards to competiton.I`LL definatly ask;He also is a great guy to talk to, too. Anyways Iappreciate you taking the time to write me. I will ,let you KNOW how the hunt goes..THANK YOU very much!!!!! DAVE B.

braydan 06-27-2005 10:31 PM

hi

call me frog. i am 72 years old and i flew the f4u plus i have been doing model aircraft for about 25 years now so just ask me anything you want about the f4u and i can tell what you need to know.

respectively
bray

D Bronk 06-28-2005 04:29 AM

HI, "FROG"? thats an interesting handle.Do they call you that because you were"jumping" on and off the CARRIERS,or hopping from island to island?:eek:Thanks for dropping me a line! I have several little issues in regards to F4U-5 BuNO.122007;in particular.ARE you familiar with her?IF not you ,possibly one of your VETERAN friends may, be?This plane was in volved in KOREA.How about your self?My computer is giving me the gears,it`s 3:30 ish A.M. So i`ll get my "ducks" in a row tommorrow and shoot out a bunch of questions for YOU!! Hopefully you can help me resolve some issues I have.MINOR really,But it`s a RESPECTFUL issue, in that I want to model my 1:8, scale,historicaly correct and accurate.I do appreciate,any time that you spend with me on this.I feel very fortunate to be able to speak with an actual "PILOT".I am officially in "SHELL-SHOCK"at the moment!!WOW[X(][X(]Thank you,Very much.YOU have my mind, "racing"now,about the LARGE scale that,I will be doing next.I was uncertain as to which,or who`s CORSAIR it would be,until now!!!I,want it to be one of your aircraft. Would you consider sharing some of your storys,history,or possibly photos, of one of the planes you flew,with me,please??I`d understand if not.I had a friend who was a CANADIAN WW2. VETERAN. He would not disscuss his experiances,just to difficult for him I suppose.I`ll be in touch soon . TRULY amazed; DAVID J BRONK

D Bronk 06-28-2005 07:08 PM

Hello Braydan,here is the start to some of my questions for you.I`ll keep it short so as not to swamp you with to much all at once.Do you have the Squadron /Signal book so you can refer to the image that I have,it`s mentioned above?It would be good if we were looking at the same thing. If not please look at the web site in the reply from Bossman above,it is the the lower address and the plane I`m modeling is the 2`nd from the top marked "410" and "T" on tail any ways would you know who that pilot or pilots were, missions, etc., or how I can go about finding a couple more photos and other details of that nature?CAN you tell me anything further about the markings below the canopy I imagine that the top set would be the pilot name/names then in front of that there appears to be another marking, possibly squadron insignia? Next on strut cover I can make out a # 10; abbreviation of "410"? But below that 10 # there apears to be some script. It looks to be on every CORSAIR on that flight deck,in that squad. So I would imagine it to be some type of mechanic service instruction.Warning, wheel info,maybe?DO you know? The next is a question on the IFF antenae I know it was installed on some,F4U-5`s,but not all that left the factory had them,from what I know. Again uncertain on the plane in question,due to image clarity,most art work( computer generated,and,artist painting)I have shows it installed.Was this antenae(behind main mast),a quick change item that could be,removed,and installed quickly,by the deck personal, if the mission required it(a plug in,plug out, type of object)?I have the main mast built and would also build the IFF antenae as well, if it will not be an issue,when getting judged. I`ll leave this,as is for now to see what you can clarify for me.I have more questions for you yet but thats enough for now. THANKS again DAVE B.

braydan 06-29-2005 11:32 PM

yes that would be the name and in front of that would be rescue info and canopy info. below the name would be rank and service.
for more info contact the national museum of naval avition in pensacola fl on board of nas pensacola. this is a super place for info.
yes 10 is the squad num and the script below it is navy>f4u-5. the iff was for radars and such but seeing how the aircraft your modeling has it i would put it on. I live not to far from the base (in pensacola) so ill go to the base and take some pics i think they have a f4u-5 on the flight line out side ill take a look for you.

resectively
bray "frog"

p.s. to make a long story short the frist f4u-1s to roll out i flew and when landing it for the frist time i bounced three time about 7 feet in the air>prop stirke> but later i made it to the aces

D Bronk 06-30-2005 10:36 AM

Hello "FROG" how are you today,hope your well. I`m gratefull for all help that you are willing to give me!I was pretty sure that your handle had to do with some kind of bouncing.I t just didn`t occur to me that it was due to one of those overly "springed" struts on the early F4U-1`s.I`m sure there is alot more to that story too.I`M insisting if you do that "mission" for me, that I want to reimburse you for the expenses and your lunch that day;)!!! Maybe a telephone call would be in order,I`ll pay for that too!!!I will not however pay for the fuel you burn, while flying that F4U-5.They should be letting you fly that for free anyway!!:D
Since you are willing to be my eyes,I`m hopeing to head you off before you go to that hanger.I will give ALL the questions and details to exactly what I need.PLEASE in the mean time, consider my request in building,a flying scale model of one of the F4U-1`s flown by you. I`d like to build it in 1/4 scale size, and would also need a few good photos(a reprint )of course.Since you are in fact an "ACE". I`d like to do the aircraft that you achieved "ACE" in.I would even like it if you would fly the models`, "maiden"voyage.THAT would, make that plane ,PRICLESS to me.THAT would be a plan for the future,so we could possibly discuss that further here.Again I`m totaly"BLOWN AWAY"by this chance meeting.MY computer is still giving me a hard time,I apoligize if my responses seem slow,I did try to respond to you at around 3:45 A.M but lost my messages again!I`ll send this out now. and then durring the day I`LL create that list.MUCH RESPECT TO YOU.!!!............ DAVID J.BRONK

Bax 06-30-2005 11:34 AM

You can find a lot of pictures here:

http://www.airliners.net

Use the search function and select by manufacturer. The manufacturer is Chance-Vought. You won't necessarily get close-up pictures that would help you with some of the fiddly details, but for paint, markings, and so on, you'll have plenty.

Also, please remember that all of the Top Flite Gold Edition kits deviate from true scale in order to make construction and flying of the kit easier for the average R/C flyer. Total accuracy of scale outline and details is secondary to those goals. A "true" scale model would be more difficult to build and fly, and so would be less accessible to most R/C flyers.

D Bronk 06-30-2005 12:16 PM

HI BILL "BAX" thanks for the line I had previosly been to that site and did not find exactly what I needed to know.I fully understand about the kit aspect of the TOP-FLITE corsair and some of the true to scale errors for manufacturing and flight reasons.But I must say in T.Fs`favor that it IS a GREAT PLATFORM to start FROM.I have never regretted purchasing their kit once,IN fact I wouldn`t hesitate to buy another.I was just confused and dissapointed,with a few things along the way, that I`ve now have sorted out.I invite you to another thread I`ve got going.It`s title is TOP-FLITE CORSAIR 1:5+1:8,IF I only knew then what I do now.THERE is NO intention of beating T.F up.I`M only trying to inform of my complications and how I solved them.I have a few issues that I need to resolve and I would I`D appreciate your input,and,Professional opinions on that thread please take a look.I hope you approve. YOU are a SUPER TIGRE trouble shooter too,aren`t you PLEASE look RESPECTFULLY yours DAVID J.BRONK

braydan 06-30-2005 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sounds great. i would like to fly the model if my wife lets me drive that far 52 years of marige and i still can find out how she cons me in to doing all the stuff i do for her. hmmmmm. well i hope my info has help and i look forward for more ?s from. you were do you live. i still fly so maybe? plus ithink you will like what i fly i put some pics on here for you.

braydan 06-30-2005 02:22 PM

frist pick is of me right after i made ace and the second one is my bird that me and my son own. my son is a f/a-18 piolt flys for the fighting red cocks (ricky is his name)

D Bronk 06-30-2005 08:49 PM

"FROG", okay , now you`ve really done it.I`m " BLOWEN right out of the WATER"totally!!!!!!!!![X(].TELL me your F4U-4s`,picture(that`s what she is isn`t it,a beauty by the way), taken in your own back yard?Is it???That F4U-5, sitting there too??COULD, you possibly shock me anymore??Your just FULL of surprises,aren`t you!!!WOW!!!!.Any more pictures of either of your CORSAIRS,you`ve really got my attention now,Sir.In regard to the LADIES`,the right smile,and a wink of the eye,sure gets me.Not married myself,but thats probably how,your wife got you grounded in the first place,and if it worked then,why wouldn`t it work now?YOUR wife must be a "HERO" magnet,she has a family full of`em.I`m sure both of you are very proud of your son too! Well computer is still slow and I had some things I had to take care of today and didn`t have time to get my questions all sorted out yet.I`m up in CANADA,,and , tomorrow is CANADA DAY same type of celebration for us, as your JULY 4th is for you.If i was in your shoes.I`d go get the BIGGEST FLAG I could find.Hook it to that CORSAIR and pull it all around, the town for everybody to SEE!!!:DI`LL try to get myself in order soon and post to you again as soon as possible.If for some reason I can`t get back to you by the 4th. I wish you, and your family,a very happy "INDEPENDENCE DAY"!!!!:D:D Sincerely,DAVID B.

D Bronk 07-01-2005 02:27 AM

HI,FROG. ITS 2;00am again .THESE are some of the post I`ve made in the past I think my putting them here like this will save a little explaining !!! what I`m doing is making a full working, light system, ALL the exterior lamps I thought I`d put this for you to find and think about I`m sure you may have some questions for me too,I really need sleep so again THANKS DAVE B. I do have a detail you,or anybody else, can help me clear up .I know you told me you had the privalage to see that full size F4u-5 in person. I have a question about the lights. Most navigation lights on right wing tip had a blue lens that emitted a green light is this the case with the u-5 as well? next question : formation lights.they also have blue lenses, did they emit green or blue light??next ::: some litterature conflicts with others can you tell me about the spine and belly lights,also the lens color, and color of light they emited.A lot of technical changes happened through the CORSAIRs`variations and i`m wondering in fact if a change in the coloring of the lenses from blue to green was one of many???. MAYBE you could be my eyes? all replys appreciated.THANKs vequote:

ORIGINAL: Harpoon

Lighting on the F4U-4 / F4U-4B

Navigation light:
- Red, Green and White under clear covers (left wing, right wing and on the rear end of the fuselage)
Landing light
- White in left centre wing near the fold line (gun camera on the right wing same pos.)
Formation Light (Changed on the F4U-5)
- 3 Blue lights. Clear lens covers. On top of both wings near the tip in front of the ailerons and on the centre of the turtle deck
Identification lights (Removed on the F4U-5)
- Red, Green and Amber under colored covers. Under the right wing near the tip

Green light bulbs can under some lighting conditions look bluish when not lit.

Cheers Harpoon
HI Harpoon.My info shows many changes in regards to lighting between U-4s and U-5s wing tip position and colors remained the same but no lamps on top side of wing. U-5series did have landing light in left wing as you say, but some of my records show F4u-5N night fighter variant had a camera light in right wing fold,as well as the camera. Don`t know its purpose , or how it functioned. That feature does`nt concern me , because, I`m lighting up a F4U-5 day fighter. My info also states that the 3 lights under right wing were deleted and 2 blue lamp`s on bottm,1 per wing, were the updated production change. Tail light of course went unchanged. My documents indicate a lamp in 2 other positions:1 on turttle deck(spine),supposedly blue, and then,1 on belly aprox., half way to the back of plane The belly, I can find no information to its color. REALLY my biggest confusion is LENS colors and what color light they emit when powered up. what I`m trying to say is;blue appearing lens green light ? BLUE appearring lens blue light? green lens green light?etc.etc. The facts to these questions has got me totally stumped any input and answers would genuinely be appreciated THANK you very much!!!. I may even need to make contact with an owner of a restored vintage F4U-5 . Well, got to go brush my hair now,so that I can cover the bald spot,on my head,thats keeps getting bigger, and bigger,while I`m trying to figure this out.Don`t need a hair piece yet, just a good comb over:D.FLY for NOW DAVE B.

braydan 07-01-2005 03:23 PM

hmmmmmmmm this is confuseing so let me take a wile to look at the post then ill get back to you in about 2 days.

frog

D Bronk 07-01-2005 04:16 PM

I`m sorry "Frog" ,there is a reply there about the Fu-4 that I recieved,and was not what I was asking for at all.As you know its the F4U-5,I`m after,.Take all the time you need.Basically,it`s all the lens colors and the light they emit. I know there location and most of the lens, and colors just that some appeared blue in color but shone green from what I understand.I`m after this because I`ve made a light system,for,my model and if I need to pour lenses I want them to be bang-on.I`ll do this for the 1/4 scale F4U-1 too!!!I know the light positions are totaly different between the two.I`m using all LED`diodes(super TECHNOLOGY,THEY are BLINDING) and am having great success with this.!!!!Again I apologize for the confusion.Have a GREAT holiday weekend,you`ve earned it.Gonna see what I can learn about RUTHLESS 11 in my book`s now.Seems I`ve seen it somewhere too. Is this going to be another one of your surprises,for me.???? THANK YOU!!!! DAVID B.

braydan 07-02-2005 01:47 AM

well i want to talk about the iff. it was the identafi friend or fo system it was a good system but i get a lot of question from pilots on if we liked them or if we used them. i used mine but i hated it i say what the hell if i cant see it whats the piont of trying to shoot it. plus it was a 2 to 10 ratio that we would go down in flames after the frist 5 mission and the only chance we had to live was after 10 mission but thats all sitistic. i thought it would be more useful to use your eye but what did i now i was 25.i just find it funny when you look back on it.it had its ups and downs though sucessful.

frog