RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New CMP 50-sized Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3867963-new-cmp-50-sized-corsair.html)

zeno 02-04-2006 03:20 PM

New CMP 50-sized Corsair

Its been under the Coming Soon-flag at CMP's homepage for some time now. But it looks like its finally released!

Its such a sexy plane. Just might start saving money to get one.
What do you guys think?
I wonder if it'll be tricky to fix mechanical retracts in that Corsair-wing...

http://shop.lindinger.at/Pictures/L60513.jpg
http://shop.lindinger.at/Pictures/L60513a.jpg
http://shop.lindinger.at/Pictures/L60513b.jpg
http://shop.lindinger.at/Pictures/L60513c.jpg
http://shop.lindinger.at/Pictures/L60513d.jpg
http://shop.lindinger.at/Pictures/L60513e.jpg

mirwin 02-04-2006 09:26 PM

RE: New CMP 50-sized Corsair

You say it's a .50 size? Looks nice.

desmobob 02-04-2006 09:30 PM

I have a question for you Corsair nuts out there.... what is the deal with that design that is outlined in white in front of the canopy on the top of the fuse?

Always wondered; never asked....

Good flying,
desmobob

LDM 02-04-2006 09:43 PM

1) I love CMP and have two in the 70" or larger size but I have heard nothing but bad things about the 56" and under size .

2)I am not a corsair expert but I think it was duck tape that kept the oil from coming out into the canopy .

bosssman 02-04-2006 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: desmobob

I have a question for you Corsair nuts out there.... what is the deal with that design that is outlined in white in front of the canopy on the top of the fuse?

Always wondered; never asked....

Good flying,
desmobob
the Corsair had a fuel tank located immediately in front of the cockpit area and it was notorious for leaking, most notably out through the top between the aluminum skin paneling. Of course, in flight, the fuel would spray onto the canopy and, well, you get the picture...

the quick fix was to use a special sealant tape (that happened to be white) that was placed over the leaking seams - not the best solution, but one that worked in combat.....

randy

desmobob 02-04-2006 09:50 PM

bossman,

Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

Good flying,
desmobob

D Bronk 02-04-2006 09:53 PM

It was a sealant .The fuel tank sits there,kept the air pressure out,so that Fumes would stay out of the cockpit.Not all planes got it,just the ones, that needed it.Earlier models ,that got the seam sealer, were brushed on ,and the edges were not sharp,later models, got a Tape type Sealant. Those edges looked sharper and straighter.It really wasn`t ,a design in the ART ,sense.

CorsairJock 02-05-2006 12:22 AM

Once again, CMP gets the paint scheme is all wrong. In 1945, U.S.S. Bunker Hill based Corsairs (markings) where NOT any form of light color on the bottom. There were ALL gloosy sea blue.
Kyosho still holds the trophy for most accurate scheme/ finish for an ARF Corsair, and there's is about the same size.
How can they (CMP) get so many details right, only to louse up the finish?
Then again, there's the machine gun openings: inboard of the main landing gear, all wrong.

Chad Veich 02-06-2006 08:36 AM

I'll take CMP's innacurate finish over Kyosho's flat tail surfaces any time.

jeffk464 02-06-2006 03:02 PM

I have one of the 40 sized cmp planes and have to say it flies like a pig. I agree with LDM go for the 70" one.

Richard L. 02-06-2006 03:40 PM

The vertical stab/rudder on the Kyosho Corsair is airfoil shaped. CMP designers have no appreciation for accurate color schemes and need to do some serious homework.

Chad Veich 02-06-2006 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

The vertical stab/rudder on the Kyosho Corsair is airfoil shaped. CMP designers have no appreciation for accurate color schemes and need to do some serious homework.
I'll have to take your word for it Richard, as I can't see it clearly in any pics. The horizontal certainly does not have the correct shape. Beyond that the Kyosho Corsair certainly does a better job of capturing the look of the Corsair than most other ARFs. Now if they would just make it a bit bigger.

SCALECRAFT 02-06-2006 08:32 PM

Guys remember these are mass produced value priced models. They are not bad for what they are. Some are better than others, even from shipment to shipment.

Out of my 4 CMP models 2 70" zeros, 1 54" zero, the Mosquito, and the 54" P-51D. All nice air foiled stabs. (And remember I'm not an arf guy).

The only bad one was the P-51. It has a nice scale shaped spinner with a wobble, and the wing scoop is way off even for a chinese arf. Also the wing saddle is not gapless when bolted to fuse. The rudder is also a bit off, but $125.00 ready to assemble out of the box. The crash won't hurt so much I guess. Oh, glass fuse gets pretty soft on 80 degree sun.

Steve

Richard L. 02-06-2006 08:42 PM

Yes, but it takes no effort to do scale decals and scale color scheme in place of the fake ones since they are already doing them anyway.

CorsairJock 02-07-2006 12:43 AM

I agree with Richard. Applying an accurate finsih and markings cost no more to produce/ manufacture than in-accurate ones. All it takes is for the designer to pick up a book and look thru it. Libraries have such books, if the designer doesn't want to purchase one. Otherwise, most hobby shop have books for about $10. And then there's the internet, with all it's free resources.

To me, a warbird without a semi-accurate finish tells me the the pilot/ owner knows very little about his 'warbird', and therefor isn't really a warbird pilot. Just a sport flyer who want's to impress warbird pilots, by pretending he knows something about warbirds.
A true warbird pilot should be able to tell a little history of his model aircraft. Ideally, the name of the pilot who flew the full scale, as well as where that pilot flew his missions from, and/ or how well did it fare against enemy aircraft, what were it's strengths and weaknesses.

As for airfoil shaped tail feathers: from 100 feet away it would be hard to tell if they were or were not airfoil shaped. An in-accurate finish can be spotted from a considerably greater distance.

The CMP Corsair has some nicely done/ molded in details. It appears however that the kit designer and the graphics designer were not on the same page.

zeno 02-07-2006 04:04 AM

Gee...
Then I'm not a true warbird pilot yet, don't know if I'll ever be one either. But most important, I'm enjoying my warbird-look-a-like-sport-planes, and I'm having a great time flying them ;)

virtualvictum 04-09-2006 11:14 PM

Hey guys I just recieved one of these planes and am starting to assemble it. Putting a GMS .61 in the front. Should move her nicely. I was wondering if anyone has one up yet and could advise a good starting point for the c.g. I know all the reccomended c.g. points they have are crap. Any help would be appreciated.

zeno 04-10-2006 05:20 AM

Feel free to make a build-thread :)

frisco2022 04-14-2006 09:45 PM

I just purchast one at the Toledo show, I have to admit the plane does look good, a lot better than the pictues show. I am also putting in a .61 engine in it. The one bad thing right of the bat I noticed is the horrible instructions. They might as well explain it in Chinese then i would understand it better. I hope someone else out there has one because I do not want to be the test pilot. By the way vitualvictum what retracts do you have for this plane.

virtualvictum 04-30-2006 02:02 AM

Hello bajzer glad to see you purchased on as well. I am still waiting on retracts because AK models is out at the present time. However, the standard retracts have the same mounting dimensions as the rotating retracts that I will be using so I just dropped these in for now. I have everything hooked up but I leave the retract servo unplugged so no accidental retract situation can result. I have flown the plane and she is awesome in the air. Landings are very easy and I was surprised at this. One note of caution though. throw out the balance reccomendations as they are way off. I added no weight at all to the model and flew it. After the first flight the plane was trimmed out and flying like a champ. If you balance per instructions the plane will be extremely tail heavy. I have flown her 7 or 8 times and dead sticked the plane 2 times (ran out of fuel and glow plug crapped out on me). Both dead sticks were uneventful. On take off make sure the plane rotates and hold for a few seconds before taking off. Even with a .61 in the nose if you pull up too fast you will stall. I did but was very fortunate to save it. After learning this the rest of the takeoffs were smooth. Enjoy the plane as it is a blast to fly.

zeno 04-30-2006 03:32 AM

virtualvictum: Glad that you enjoyed this plane. Got some pictures of yours in action? :)

Cubano8 04-30-2006 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: virtualvictum

Hello bajzer glad to see you purchased on as well. I am still waiting on retracts because AK models is out at the present time. However, the standard retracts have the same mounting dimensions as the rotating retracts that I will be using so I just dropped these in for now. I have everything hooked up but I leave the retract servo unplugged so no accidental retract situation can result. I have flown the plane and she is awesome in the air. Landings are very easy and I was surprised at this. One note of caution though. throw out the balance reccomendations as they are way off. I added no weight at all to the model and flew it. After the first flight the plane was trimmed out and flying like a champ. If you balance per instructions the plane will be extremely tail heavy. I have flown her 7 or 8 times and dead sticked the plane 2 times (ran out of fuel and glow plug crapped out on me). Both dead sticks were uneventful. On take off make sure the plane rotates and hold for a few seconds before taking off. Even with a .61 in the nose if you pull up too fast you will stall. I did but was very fortunate to save it. After learning this the rest of the takeoffs were smooth. Enjoy the plane as it is a blast to fly.
Great to hear on your success. What CG did you use?

virtualvictum 04-30-2006 11:42 AM

No pictures in action. I wil get some and post them. I do have pics of competed plane will post soon. I will check the c.g. as I do not remember. I will post with the pictures.

virtualvictum 04-30-2006 02:04 PM

Ok guys I have the pics and the c.g. info you requested. The c.g. that I used is 3" behind the leading edge. This works out very well with no bad habits in the air. I also posted a pic of the bellcrank assembly for the retracts so you can see how they go. Try to cut as little of the retract bay opening that you can and still reach everything because if you cut out the full opening the belly pan will not hide about 1/16 of an inch. Mine has a small gap. It dosen't hurt anything but it would look nicer if it was not seen. Let me know if you have avymore questions.

virtualvictum 04-30-2006 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics didn't take, trying again.