RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Byron Original (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4124978-byron-original.html)

foxx 04-04-2006 06:15 PM

Byron Original

What is the stroy of Byron Original, who was behind this company and what happend to him. Any info would be great

gary9648 04-04-2006 06:23 PM

RE: Byron Original

Byron Godberson, owner of Byron models died. His children did not want to continue the model co. and quit making kits. They sell fuel only now. Iron-Bay model co. has bought all the assets and are now producing some of the more popular kits. http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/ Check their web site for details.

badger41 04-04-2006 07:08 PM

BUT NOT IN THAT ORDER!!!!

Tom

foxx 04-04-2006 11:33 PM

Thanks for the info and the link. I always liked the Byron's idea of complete kit.

Old RC Aviator 07-01-2009 06:34 PM

Now Iron Bay Models website has no links to any of their models or parts. Byron Originals filed a judgment against the company for not living up to their agreement. I need parts for my Byron F-18 but can't get them. Must be they won.

masteromodels 07-02-2009 02:58 PM

Does anyone have any more info on what is happening with Iron Bay and their line of products? It would be a shame to loose everything.

thanks bob

foodstick 07-02-2009 05:03 PM

There was a SUPER long post about the new owners..BY the new owners awhile back. But I have a feeling the answer is they have so much other work going on that making BYRON stuff is a waste of their time for the most part...I still wish CHINA would have gotten BYRONs molds and stuff, at least then it would be reasonably available....

butlern 07-02-2009 05:46 PM

Below appears an excerpt from a relevant thread. The initiator if the thread was pissed at Iron Bay for their long turn-around times (lack of communication) and wrote a less than friendly letter to John, the proprietor of Iron Bay. John responded with a letter of his own. John (from Iron Bay) agreed that Vernon (the angry customer) could post John's response letter on RCU, so I think it's OK for me to copy and paste so that his letter appears in this thread, too.

I think it's worth a read. There's always two sides to every story!

Here it is:

"This an e-mail that I sent in frustration to Iron Bay Model Co. and the reply that was sent back. It sheds a lot of light
on the situation at this company, I thought it appropriate to post it here:

My e-mail:
Dear Sirs,I recently submitted an order for parts for the Byron RV-4 and asked that a Pay Pal invoice be sent for payment. I realize that it has been the Christmas & New Year Holiday time, so I have been trying to be patient, but I feel that you guys are really "Missing the Boat", so to speak, by not being concerned with the current image that you have in the model market place. It is a shame that someone that has spent a great deal of money to purchase the molds, tooling and other remnants of the Byron aircraft line of models to have them wasting awayin a building somewhere in Wheeling, West Virginia. The image portrayed on RC Universe is one filled with so much negativity that it seems to be impossible to get anything from your company in a timely manner or possibly maybe ever. I thought that getting a response in couple of days was a good sign, but I guess my hopes that Iron Bay Model Co. was on the way back to be an credible source for those great creations that were once available from Byron, was only a flicker as I have had no response. I know being a former hobby shop owner both here in the US and also in the UK, that you will never get rich being a manufacturer, distributor, or shop owner in this business. if you have no intentions of furthering your business as the holder of the former Byron products, please for the sake of all of us that would love to buy and build any one of the great war-bird creations of Mr Byron, either do something with the company or put it up for sale, maybe someone that really cares will buy it and do something constructive with it. Just my 2 cents worth........... Vernon W. Diedrich Ventress, Louisiana

And here is john's response:

Hi Vernon ,

I appreciate your comments, but feel that they are possibly a little bit uninformed. For some reason a few folks out there seem to like to conjecture that there is a groundswell of people interested in acquiring the molds/tooling and going in to production of the Byron products. Yet I have never had a single serious inquiry from a person with either the resources or knowledge to achieve this. Second, the model aircraft division of Byron Originals was up for sale for over 5 years prior to our acquisition, so any other interested parties had full access and opportunity to make an offer to them and take on the challenge of producing the product. Seeing as Byron Originals only had one serious offer during the half a decade of time that it was up for sale, it is pretty evident that interest in manufacturing these kits is not as great as you and others may presume. However, most importantly is the bottom line; the Byron folks realized that it was very difficult to competitively manufacture the product here in the U.S. with the labor rates, government restrictions, and material costs; and to ship production overseas would eliminate much of the uniqueness of the product not to mention increase the level of foreign competitors who would copy the product.

So it would seem to be a good question to ask: “why would one take on such a challenge realizing that it will be a difficult task while not be a money-making endeavor”? The reason was simple at the time…if we did not acquire the company then it was going to be scrapped. Yes, scrapped! Every mold, tool, piece of inventory, etc. As a matter of fact, the handful of small items that we did not feel that we needed to take with us when our tractor trailers pulled out was put in the dumpster the very next day! Even though they told us that they had no intention of continuing with any part of the model business, we didn’t think that they would actually do it. After all, surely the items would have both historical and sentimental value for the family. Nevertheless, for the Byron folks it was a simple business decision to replace the existing square footage of manufacturing space with equipment and products that were profitable, and the tradition/heritage/investment of the model aircraft would be relegated to history. Indian Motorcycles comes to mind as another U.S. Company that is no longer in existence. The Byron family does have a beautiful display of static aircraft and the airport facilities to keep the memory of Byron alive, but the manufacturing items just held little value from a business point of view. I heard a number in excess of 10 million dollars mentioned when we discussed the investment that Byron Godbersen made to build the company from scratch. He was quite a unique person and what he did for the modeling industry was out of his passion for the product, not for the bottom line of profit. Talk about a great sacrifice and a truly remarkable guy!

We looked on the opportunity with the realization that the project would not necessarily make a significant amount of money, but would at least be a way to maintain some form of continuance of the Byron model aircraft products that we enjoyed. So we jumped in with both feet and have brought as much of the product back into production as we could afford from both a monetary and time point of view. As a business, Byron Model Aircraft is a very labor intensive entity in both production and customer service. This is one of the primary reasons that the Byron folks got out of it. For instance, we have one full-time person dedicated to just handling orders for obsolete and older kit replacement parts of which most orders are for $20 or less. Needless to say that this person does not generate enough revenue to pay their own paycheck let alone cover company overhead and G&A expenses. This is not because the person is a poor employee, but simply because many of the items they are producing/packaging/shipping can only be economically produced in high quantities. Yet it is impossible to justify doing a high volume production run if we are only going to sell a dozen pieces a year of a given replacement part.

Most other companies simply call these parts obsolete and stop servicing the product. My Dell laptop comes to mind here; it is less than 5 years old, yet there are already parts that I cannot obtain because they are obsolete. Nevertheless, we continue to take heat from customers that complain about our production time, not realizing that we are doing them quite a service by simply continuing to offer a product that other companies would typically have discontinued two decades ago. We’re not perfect, but the alternative is far worse.

We consider ourselves extremely blessed because we have invented several new products that have garnered significant contracts with the Department of Defense. Our company has grown tremendously over the past two years, and will more than quadruple in sales volume in the next 18 months from these contracts, so we must be doing something right. It is this Defense side of the business that makes it possible to even operate the recreational model aircraft side of the business. We had a few high paid guys from the modeling industry running the recreational side of the business for a while, but things didn’t work out and they are no longer with the company. For a while, customer service was timelier for the model aircraft customers, but their occasional involvement with the defense side of the business resulted in some intentional sabotage and neglect (performed by them) which almost cost us the Defense side of the business. Nevertheless, diligent effort and creative ideas prevailed and we are well over double the annual revenue as when they worked here. We have not replaced them yet because our goal is to make the Defense side of the company as solvent and durable as possible first so that we may ride out any tough financial times. The way that we chose to accomplish this was to temporarily reduce the level of customer service in the recreational division and concentrate labor on the defense side of the business.

We have every indication that in the long run our choice was the correct one and is yielding a very solid Defense company that will allow us to apply some of the profit gained therein to subsidize the higher costs of the recreational division. From a strict business point of view the company (as a whole) makes less profit this way, but not every business is entirely about the bottom line. Byron set a great example in this, and it is one that we choose to emulate as much as we can. So I would propose to you that I am indeed somebody who “really cares”, and remind you that if not for us then there would be no Byron Originals products in existence to even be discussing.

What this means to the modeler on the street is that for a while longer we will be running the recreational side at reduced levels however in the following couple of years they will see a renewed customer service level and additional products released.

We don’t like to take money up front from our customers until their order is ready to ship, so this is the reason that you have not yet received a request for payment. We would like to still have you as a customer, but for a while our turn-around time for orders big and small will tend to be slow. This is a reality of trying to maintain the goal of keeping production alive here in the U.S. If you can live with that to keep your older Byron kits alive then we’ll probably continue to do business in the future. If not, then we still thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

John"

Vintauri 07-03-2009 01:09 AM

My issue is not with the turn around time on orders. It's the complete lack of communication of even getting a price list. I have been trying to get them to respond to a request for simple pricing on some Ryan parts but after the initial response from them that they just needed to know what version I had I have yet to see any communication back.

I do hope they get things turned around as I like the kits and size of the planes but parts are getting hard to find.

F4u5 07-03-2009 10:45 AM

It's unfortunate that someone from the USA wishes China was producing something (especially from a former USA company) so that we could import it back in to the country and give China some more of our US dollars:eek:.

Jeff

Scott Prossen 07-03-2009 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: F4u5

It's unfortunate that someone from the USA wishes China was producing something (especially from a former USA company) so that we could import it back in to the country and give China some more of our US dollars:eek:.

Jeff
AMEN TO THAT

Scott

NCIS 07-03-2009 05:05 PM

Sorry but I have to agree with F4u5!!! That is one of the reasons our economy is in the shape it's in right now. I would rather see it scrapped than end up overseas.[:@]

Barry

rcwarbirdbuilder 07-03-2009 05:13 PM

TOTALY AGREE! HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE UNEMPLOYED AND WITH NO HEALTH CARE DO WE NEED IN THE USA.

Scar 07-03-2009 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: foxx

What is the stroy of Byron Original, who was behind this company and what happend to him. Any info would be great
Back to the original topic...

I hit Google with "Byron Godbersen" and got a lot of web pages. Lots of history there.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

Dick T. 07-03-2009 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: butlern

Below appears an excerpt from a relevant thread. The initiator if the thread was pissed at Iron Bay for their long turn-around times (lack of communication) and wrote a less than friendly letter to John, the proprietor of Iron Bay. John responded with a letter of his own. John (from Iron Bay) agreed that Vernon (the angry customer) could post John's response letter on RCU, so I think it's OK for me to copy and paste so that his letter appears in this thread, too.

I think it's worth a read. There's always two sides to every story!

Thanks for posting the letter, it should clear up any confusion and BS stories about Iron Bay's service. Unfortunately many modelers are spoiled and impatient, especially those who were able to afford the Byron kits in the first place. They weren't cheap so many of us had to wait until they became affordable at current swap meet prices.

Fortunately the two Byron kits I own are complete, given they changed hands multiple times. However I will gladly wait for parts if they are needed with any future kits I may be fortunate enough to acquire.

Old RC Aviator 07-04-2009 08:21 PM

As I said, No links to their products on their website. So how do we order parts? Here is a PDF about the judgment.

http://www.websupp.org/data/NDWV/5:0...82-23-NDWV.pdf

tailskid 07-05-2009 02:36 PM

Question to all you Byron Lovers.....did he ever produce a J-3 Cub? Not a Super Cub, just a good old-fashioned Yellow J-3!

masteromodels 07-05-2009 03:03 PM

I 'am almost positive he did not kit a J-3cub. I would like to know now what happens to all the molds and parts that Iron BAY has. Anyone have any inside info.

thanks bob

WhoDaMan 07-05-2009 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Question to all you Byron Lovers.....did he ever produce a J-3 Cub? Not a Super Cub, just a good old-fashioned Yellow J-3!

Yes he did, it was a white one

Old RC Aviator 07-05-2009 06:46 PM

I think the white one was a Christian Huskey . I have RCMs back to the early 70s. I'll do a little research. They did have a J-3 however. But after Iron Bay took over it was discontinued evidently. I did a little digging and came up with this link.

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/index.htm

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...umentation.htm

tailskid 07-05-2009 07:21 PM

I couldn't get that link to work.....I'll try at work tomorrow......thanks for the research!

Old RC Aviator 07-05-2009 07:26 PM

I couldn't get that link to work.....I'll try at work tomorrow......thanks for the research!

It should work now.

tailskid 07-05-2009 07:29 PM

Hummmm, still not working...wonder if Firefox or McAffe is stopping it....

Old RC Aviator 07-05-2009 07:37 PM

Hummmm, still not working...wonder if Firefox or McAffe is stopping it....

Could be. It works for me. I have Internet Explorer and Norton.

tailskid 07-05-2009 07:38 PM

If I can remember, I'll try it tomorrow at work (not that the boss will know or anything :) )