RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Col. Bob THacker (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4592134-col-bob-thacker.html)

Potawatomi13 08-07-2006 03:15 AM

Col. Bob THacker

If Col Thacker is still around, can anyone tell me how to get ahold of him?

Thanks, Bill Kohler[8D]

scalebirdman 08-07-2006 09:17 AM

RE: Col. Bob THacker

He reciently passed away. Notice was in one of the magazines; don't recall which one, but it was published several months ago.

tailskid 08-07-2006 09:23 AM

Yep, we lost another good one :(

drone pilot 08-07-2006 04:32 PM

I had the good fortune of meeting Col Thacker in the early eighties, a real gentleman and one hell of a modeler. I got to watch him fly his scrach built model of the P-82 he flew from Hawaii to the mainland, setting a record in the process. Clif

rc2007 08-08-2006 11:37 PM

God speed Col Thacker
Thanks for your amazing contributions.

mr_matt 10-05-2006 08:29 PM

What terrible news, is this confirmed? I can't believe I did not hear about it in the jet world.

gary9648 10-05-2006 10:56 PM

Yes Bob passed away, it was in Model Aviation a while ago. his aircraft is on display at the National museum of the United States Air Force.

MANFRED 10-06-2006 09:08 AM

Saw him fly several times, he was a regular at quite a few flyins in So Cal.

ramcfarland 10-06-2006 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: drone pilot

I had the good fortune of meeting Col Thacker in the early eighties, a real gentleman and one hell of a modeler. I got to watch him fly his scrach built model of the P-82 he flew from Hawaii to the mainland, setting a record in the process. Clif
Sorry that was Col. Art Johnson

Respectfully

Chad Veich 10-06-2006 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: ramcfarland

ORIGINAL: drone pilot

Sorry that was Col. Art Johnson

Respectfully
Art Johnson did indeed build several models of the P-82 but it was Bob Thacker that flew the full size twin Mustang "Betty Jo" on a record setting flight from Hawaii to New York. I believe Art flew the full size P-82 as well, just not on that particular flight.

ramcfarland 10-06-2006 02:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification[sm=47_47.gif]

MANFRED 10-07-2006 07:34 AM

MAN has a short piece on Thacker in the new issue. He looks alive.

mr_matt 10-12-2006 04:15 PM

WHAT'S THE DEAL, GUYS?!?

Does ANYONE (gary9648 ???) have a link to this supposed article in Model Aviation??

ramcfarland 10-12-2006 04:32 PM

I followed his model aircraft projects for many years and searched Google and found nothing posted so hopefully the Col. Col. Thacker :is probably in his shop or at the field with his latest project.. sure hope so[:o]

David Eichstedt 10-12-2006 05:33 PM

I remember seeing something about Col Thacker a while back, but it wasn't an obituary, it was just a nice biographical piece. I remember reading the article because it had the visual appearance of an obituary and I was worried we had lost him. Upon reading the article I learned that wasn't the case.

scalebirdman, since you're the one making the claim, did you read the article? Can you go find it to verify your statement?

Chad Veich 10-13-2006 12:14 AM

I believe some folks are confusing Col. Art Johnson and Col. Bob Thacker. Art built, flew, and competed with several very nice models of the twin Mustang over the years. Art also passed away not too long ago. Col. Bob Thacker was the pilot of the full size P-82 "Betty Jo" which is now on display in the USAFM. I don't recall Col. Thacker ever building a P-82 nor do I recall seeing anything regarding his demise. My bet, Col. Thacker is alive and kicking!

Asanders 10-13-2006 02:52 AM

?

Asanders 10-13-2006 02:59 AM

?

David Eichstedt 11-08-2006 04:47 PM

Guys, look in the new issue of Model Aviation. There's a photo of Col Thacker, alive and kicking at the Best in the West meet. I gotta belive he's still with us.

scalebirdman 11-08-2006 05:41 PM

Saw it too.

drone pilot 11-08-2006 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have to apologize for my slight memory loss. I saw Col Thacker and a P-51 model at a stand-off scale event in Fremont Cal. in 1973. Did some searching and found this...Feb 27,1947 Lt Col Robert Thacker ( Pilot) and Lt John Ard (Co-Pilot) flew a P-82B from Hickam Field Hawaii to La Guardia Airpot in New York, 5051 mi in 14 hours 33 min. Startedwith 2215 Gals fuel and landed with 60... An average speedd of about 346 mph. The article about the Jet rally in Souther Calif with the picture of Col Thacker says the event took place in April...6 months before the postabout his "passing" Any up dates Cliff

ramcfarland 11-08-2006 11:02 PM

yes I would have thought we would of heard some thing so no news is good news hows that..[8D]

Electriceddie 11-09-2006 12:29 AM

Guys it is a good idea to get your facts straight before making statemenmts like someone is dead. It is very disheartning. I am sure Bob Thacker would love to hear about his own death while reading an article which he is recently pictured in, in the current copy of the AMA. What a way to find out that your not living anymore.

What do they say Good new is Great Bad news is Better?

You gotta laugh..............

LOL

Thanks
Bobs Ghost..........LOL

ramcfarland 11-09-2006 08:25 AM

Well this is getting ridiculous the heck with the rumors whats the deal. BTY I have a great respect for the Col. and amazed no one KNOWS whats the deal.

At this juncture this thread is best locked down I'm quite sure most of us would not want the Col. to read this its too weird

Electriceddie 11-09-2006 03:24 PM

Absolutely.........

AMEN...

Good Luck