RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Hangar 9 .60 size Spitfire with flaps (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4735516-hangar-9-60-size-spitfire-flaps.html)

shakes268 09-11-2006 10:47 AM

Hangar 9 .60 size Spitfire with flaps

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4250]Spitfire - Mid October[/link]

Glad they are finally including flaps on a 60 size bird. I haven't seen any mention of this on the forums though.

*JCB* 09-11-2006 12:59 PM

RE: Hangar 9 .60 size Spitfire with flaps

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4475182/mpage_3/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4475182/mpage_3/tm.htm[/link]

good lookin plane!

Phantom pty 09-11-2006 01:19 PM

Finally a SPITFIRE with the quality of a H9.. !![sm=thumbup.gif]

Hope they bring it on Larger SCALE also as P-47 which they made in both scales.. like an MK XIV in a 1.5 Scale..!![sm=shades_smile.gif]

rc34074 09-11-2006 06:42 PM

take a look at the world/airborne models spitfires. their quality is as good as hangar 9. they have a 60 size and a large scale spit XIV.

or Kondor Model Products www.kmp.ca

for world/airborne
www.airborne-models.com or www.theworldmodels.com

ed

LDM 09-11-2006 08:36 PM

does the world spitfire have split flaps ?

jsn 09-11-2006 09:30 PM

The WM spit does not have split flaps... it does have flaps however. From looking at the pictures, the H9 spit will have a number of scale details that are lacking on the WM spit. If it fly's as good as the WM spit I have H9 will have a winner and the best looking most scale 60 size spit ARF on the market.

John

Flak 09-11-2006 11:26 PM

Indeed, this is a pretty good looking Warbird for an ARF. However, aren't the gear supposed to be angled back slightly? Which Spitfire variant does this model represent? The shiny covering needs to be made dull and boring as are most WWII military aircraft. Jerry could see that Saturday Night slicker day or night! A set of Robart Econo Retracts would really dress her up nicely. A 1/5th scale option would give Yellow Aircraft and a couple other manufacturers a run for their money. Is there a full scale cockpit option? Good luck to all of you ARF'ers with this one.

LDM 09-12-2006 03:37 AM

yep if I get this plane , I will will dull the finish and age some weathering , a full interior , and air retracts with oleos .
It seems to be woth it , so much of the work is done and h9 really try to add a ton of detail

Richard L. 09-12-2006 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: jsn

H9 will have a winner and the best looking most scale 60 size spit ARF on the market.

Sorry, the best looking and most scale 60 size Spit ARF on the market already belongs to KMP, which does have panel lines, rivets, flat airbrushed finish, scale outline, scale cowl, and scale canopy.

bigplumbs 09-12-2006 03:28 PM

The KMP/YT International spit is indeed nice but I think the H9 Will sell like hot cakes.

www.densplanes.co.uk

jsn 09-12-2006 05:35 PM

Richard, I agree the KMP is a very nice ARF... how do you figure it's 60 size? 3-4 pounds heavier, 200 square inches or so more wing and the recommended engines are 108 2 stroke 120 4 stroke... I'd call that at least a 90 size bird... or maybe 120 size? At any rate the H9 won't be near as nice as the KMP... at nearly half the price and the fact I can fit it in my truck or Jeep... I'll stick with the lesser scale H9 IF I decide to replace my WAY... I mean WAYYYYY stand off scale WM spit:D

John

Kman1971 09-12-2006 05:38 PM

I think the kmp is 499.00 and the h9 is 260.00..i can deal with a few problems with scale appearance with that difference.. Kieth

Richard L. 09-13-2006 01:43 AM

Slap in a pair of more stout pneumatic retracts and you will also be up to around $499.

bigplumbs 09-13-2006 01:58 AM

People in the US are always wanting to put air retracts in H9 birds. I have 4 H9's and 2 others where I have used their retracts and the stock retracts are just fine. There is no real need to put air retracts in H9 Planes

www.densplanes.co.uk

Phantom pty 09-13-2006 08:02 AM

Yes rc34074

I am sure many of us Spitfire freeks are very aware of all the different ARF version for this model in the market (CMP, GSP, WM, KMP) I think KMP recently made their MKIV the best option with the good size, fiberglass, split flaps, the nice details and great performance that makes this model a very nice option.

I think there is much to be improved on WM Spitfire since it really is far from being Scale . .

As for H9 is looking very sleek and the price is very atractive.

Richard L. 09-13-2006 08:15 AM

A warbird with wobbly chicken legs running down the runway just doesn't look right.

D Bronk 09-13-2006 08:23 AM

LOL.That gives me the image ,of a Shell-Shocked Chicken,trying to find it`s way around..[sm=what_smile.gif]

Johnny_Zero 09-13-2006 10:11 AM

I have to agree with Richard L. I had a H9 Mustang and am currently working on a WM Mustang. I think that the H9 is better quailty than the WM, but the WM has flaps. The gear that comes with the WM is pretty much junk so I went with Robart #510 gear. $220 for the plane and another $110 for the gear. Not to bad I guess.

I finally got a chance to inspect a KMP BF109 yesterday....this is by far the best looking and best quality ARF warbird I have ever seen. I really wish I had the $500 to purchase this kit. The only thing I wonder is.....How does the stock gear hold up? Anybody have any experience with the stock gear?

rc34074 09-13-2006 06:34 PM

Phantom - i was giving some more options to anyone who might be interested, and was not necessarily trying to educate you. However, how would I know you are a Spitfire "freek"? None of the pics of your planes show a spitfire.

As far as general quality of H9 vs world models planes-
I have both the H9 60 size mustang and I am now assembling the world 60 size mustang. the world mustang has superior retracts compared to the H9 mustang retracts - the H9 retracts have weak wire struts which allow way too much wobble. the world 60 size retracts have good size strut wires which look strong enough, but they have weak plastic frames and I don't use plastic frame gear from sad experience with Robart plastic frame gear on my first mustang- a Top Flite 60 size. I recommend Spring Air retracts if you want wire struts. www.retracts.com
I am trying out a set of Robart 511W1 retracts on the world 60 size to see how they compare to Spring Air.

The world mustang is built stronger than the H9 mustang. the H9 mustang has better looking sanding and covering. However, the covering on the H9 mustang peeled off the fuselage and wing after a season, so I had to replace the covering back to the wing on the fuselage and in the wing midsection. the world mustang has airfoil shaped tail surfaces, where the H9 has flat ones.

I tend to agree with Richard L. about the overall cost of the KMP plane vs the H9 or world models planes. However I prefer to see the plane first hand before I buy it and so far I haven't seen the KMP spitfire.

Ed

Johnny_Zero 09-13-2006 08:21 PM

Once you see, touch, feel, and fondle one of the KMP kits you will be very impressed. There really is no comparison. I am saving my cash for a KMP BF109.
I just wish it was a F or G model. For an ARF they really are that good.

bigplumbs 09-14-2006 01:53 AM

If anyone is interested having built the KMP/YT Sea Fury and several H9 60 size planes I would say the comparative build times are as follows:

Hanger 9 Hellcat................................ 25 hours max

KMP/YT Sea Fury................................ At least 80 hours

These are built as stock but adding a painted pilot and retracts in both. The Hellcat neeed almost no mods at all whereas the Seafury needed quite a few including a couple of very important ones.

www.densplanes.co.uk

Richard L. 09-14-2006 10:07 AM

The short build time is nice. However, some of us like to take our time assembling a breathtaking masterpiece that's not a dime-a-dozen at the field. Plus, the longer it takes to assemble, the longer we still have it :)

P-51B 09-14-2006 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Plus, the longer it takes to assemble, the longer we still have it.
[sm=omg_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

bigplumbs 09-14-2006 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

The short build time is nice. However, some of us like to take our time assembling a breathtaking masterpiece that's not a dime-a-dozen at the field. Plus, the longer it takes to assemble, the longer we still have it :)
Very true Richard but you must remember I fly at a smallish club in the UK (The hobby is a lot smaller here in the UK) and believe it or not but a nicely built Hanger 9 is quite a thing at our field................. I am very fortunate however as I fly out of an old WW2 base that was a station for P47's and P51's and many of our scratch builders have modelled the actual planes that flew from the base. I fact last year Janie a well know mustang returned to the base and met up with its pilot from the US who came on a visit.

Dennis

Phantom pty 09-17-2006 12:16 PM

Thanks for your comments Ed.. I apologize if I hurt your feelings, It was not the intention,
You are right no pictures of Spitfire on my hangar since I didnt like any of the available ARF Options, ..
I have now a KMP MK XIV on the way to go with a SA 125..

Once I have it ready I will come up to Lexinton Ohio so we can go fly it together ..... [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Nevertheless, I agree with you on the WM P51. It has pretty strong construction, airfoil shaped tail surfaces and it has flaps, I did replace stock retracts with Robarts and results were great... Been flying it for over a year with 51 flights. Very fast.......