RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TopFlight Giant Corsair - How Scale is IT?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4747528-topflight-giant-corsair-how-scale.html)

willey 09-14-2006 11:37 AM

TopFlight Giant Corsair - How Scale is IT??

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys, got the bug (bad) to build a Corsair, woundering how scale is the TF Giant Corsair to the real thing?? I see alot of nice informitive threads on the TF giant (very nice job guys) but have not come across my question yet, maybe I missed it somewhere?

I"m just know finishing up my dad's TF 1/5 Scale 51 for him, very nice kit, he built it up to the fiberglassing (dropable tanks, flaps, full retractable gear, manual sliding canopy) then I'm adding the CHROME! it's coming out alright. but on the TF mustang I know the fuse is a little wide to actual scale, kinda bugs me, but overal it's a nice looking bird/kit. does the Corsair have good lines for scale?

Also is their a scale tail wheel (gear) out there, Robarts will work but just woundering if any others offer more of a scale appearance, love the look of that tail sittin high! see photo - now that's Bit-chin!!

I'll try to post a few photo's of the 51, my first attempt at this?? if they don't transfer I'll try agian.

any input welcome

:D

Mark

scalebirdman 09-14-2006 11:44 AM

RE: TopFlight Giant Corsair - How Scale is IT??

Fantastic job on the 51! Neither the TF 51 or the Corsair are that close to scale. In view of your obvious building abilities I'd suggest getting a set of plans and parts for the Brian Taylor Corsair from Bob Holman. It's approximately the same size (82" ws) or exact 1/6 scale, and you can't beat a Brian Taylor plan, not only for fidelity to scale, but also just full of "now why didn't I think of that" ways to build. No one I know of makes a scale Corsair tail wheel; however it would make a great "first gear project", and IMHO is a must for a Corsair to look right.

willey 09-14-2006 11:53 AM

Thank you for the kind words! IMHO is that the term for the tail gear? I'm a little slow:D

scalebirdman 09-14-2006 01:35 PM

Sorry; internet shorthand:

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

etc.

willey 09-14-2006 01:44 PM

That's funny!, I'm new to this forum talk stuff, thou I do know the term YSOL when I run out of fuel on final!

"your **** outof luck!"

jeff naul 09-14-2006 02:10 PM

wiley, could you post pic's of the canopy and rail layout. i'm doing one now and having a little trouble with the slides. that's a sexy airplane, you guy's did a jam up job! thank's jeff.

willey 09-14-2006 04:45 PM

Thanks Jeff, I'll put a couple up this weekend, the cockpit is all apart right now. You just gotta make sure the rails are straight with each other, also the male pieces that you put on the canopy need to be straight with the rails or the canopy will bind. I can give you a little more detail when I post the pics.

Mark

Tomcat_104 09-14-2006 07:59 PM

:D:DI've got a Corsair on the dining room table right now. If momma hadn't been married to me for 24 years she'd probably throw me out right now. I'm waiting on a sliding canopy kit from Dynamic Balsa right now. I've talked to Glennis about building that tailwheel for me. Glennis assured me that if I could come up with the money they could build the tail wheel. Call them, maybe they can help.

David

SMUGator 09-15-2006 12:53 AM

Search the Corsair threads by Dionysusbacchus and Corsair Jock for an extensive discussion of TopFlite scale deviations and corrective mods.

Tom

Flyfast1 09-15-2006 12:04 PM

Mark,

Absolutely beautiful P51! Looks flawless!

-Ed

US185Damiani 09-15-2006 03:15 PM

Willey,
I concur, if the P-51 Bugs you the corsair will drive you crazy. The Brian Taylor Corsair 82" with the short kit and fiberglass parts will be exactly what you're looking for. his outline is Exact...

ramcfarland 09-16-2006 09:58 AM

Interesting topic with regard to true scale comparing to the TopFlite Mustang or say the 1/5 P-47 . I think I can safely say you need to do modifications to begin to come close to scale out line and appearance.Now speaking of appearance your Dad's 1/5 Top Flite Mustang is the best finished and painted T.F. or for that matter ANY P-51 that I have seen great job!

willey 10-03-2006 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff, If you have any questions please ask, been away for a while.

willey 10-03-2006 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff here is an over view of the rails, notice were the enlarged slot holes in the fuse rails are located in reference to each other, this is so the canopy can be taken off at anytime, plus when you slide the canopy all the way back it stays on.

You can slide the canopy back halfway and remove the back of the canopy from the rail, then slide canopy the rest of the way back then pop the front of the canopy off at anytime, works pretty slick.

Take note that the canopy brace/bracket (which sturdies the canopy on the full scale P-51) is hard mounted to the fuse, did not want to mount to the canopy because the canopy spreads out as it goes forward, did not want to mess with that yet, maybe one day I'll do that.

Hope these help you, sorry for the delay in getting these to you.

Mark

willey 10-03-2006 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guy's, thanks for all the compliments much appreiciated, we both have alot of work into her, but it's been a great ride!! I'm going to start another thread soon on this TF 51 and my TF gold series P-47 "High Risk" which I think you'll like also. You can check out my gallery to see a sample.

Mark
:D

NEW POST: More on the Mustang here titled - "P-51 Mustant Pilots Wanted!!!!!!"

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#4840119

Peter_OZ 10-05-2006 12:03 AM

Mark,
re the tail gear. It is quite easy to modify the robart WC-160 unit so that the tail wheel is extended as per full size. A freind of mine did one on his scratch build Corsair afew years back He simply sleeved a piece of alum tubing over the original to extend the length and alum brazed it in place. He then added the braces that characterise the Corsair tail gear unit to give it an authentic look.

As the other have added check out the threads by Dionysusbacchus and Corsair Jock, they have a wealth of knowledge of modifying kits to make them scale like.

the main problem with the TF GS Corsair is the tail feathers, they are way off scale and the wing tips wing looked at from the front.

Best of luck.

cheers
Peter

willey 10-07-2006 10:46 PM

Thanks Peter for your info, the tail gear idea sounds like that would work out just fine!

and I'll start to dig for their threads. So much good information here to read!

You have a very nice looking 51!;)

Mark

Peter_OZ 10-08-2006 02:42 AM

thanks for that Mark.

cheers
Peter