RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ????? Topflight P-51 85" What's Yours Weight???? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4926471-topflight-p-51-85%22-whats-yours-weight.html)

F18 08-27-2007 02:22 PM

RE: ????? Topflight P-51 85" What's Yours Weight????

hey willy i figued out smily faces her they come!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

F18 09-07-2007 09:48 PM

Hi willy could you tell me how to locate canopy rails? also did you lower sides of fuse for these rails? any infor would be appreciated thanks. Yea aero tec model is sweet but we built ours from square blocks and sticks!!!! YOUR TREAD ON CANOPY WAS GREAT JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP I DIDN'T KNOW HOW LONG RAILS SHOULD BE . I MAID THEM ABOUT 6" FOR SIDES AND 6.5" REAR IT JUST SEEMS YOU LOWERED YOUR SIDES FOR PIN LOCATIONS ? WELL THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BYE!!!:):):):D

willey 09-07-2007 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the 3 rails in the fuse are brass "square" tubing (K&S brand) not sure off hand what size thou. The 3 small pieces on the canopy is called "Plastisrtruct" it's a grey plactic I-beam material that will fit inside the brass square tubing, you take a dremel tool w/grinding disk and cut a slot wide enough for the I-beam to slide throu. Be patient, It's alot of tinkering and figuring out, trial & error type thing.[:@] also the sides were cut down I believe the thickness of the brass tubing. Also take note the on the bottom of canopy has 1/64 ply glued to the inside to stiffen it, forgot to add that to the diagram below.

Hope this helps?
also study those pics in the other thread too!;)

[X(][X(]ACTUALLY!!! The Brass square tubing IS Brass "Rectangular" tubing not square

F18 09-08-2007 03:49 PM

Hello willy /mark thank you again i will always give you guy"s credit for canopy design nice! WELL I HAD KS RECT; STOCK ON HAND SPENT THE WHOLE DAY MAKING RAILS I ALSO FOUND G-GAUGE TRAIN TRACK CUT A SECTION OUT ONLY HAD TO GRIND A LITTLE TO FIT WORKED OUT GREAT. WHAT A DIFFERANCE YOUR DESIGN ADDS TO THIS MODEL!!!! iF YOU GUYS EVER GET A MODEL TEC MUSTANG IT WOULD BE TAKEN TO NEW LEVELS .ONE MORE QESTION WHAT GLUES TO FASTEN THE PINS? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME GREATLY APPRECIATED OK BYE !!!

willey 09-08-2007 05:11 PM

Thanks F18, but this design has been used for along time by many others other then us, wish I could take the credit, but not our design.

As for the glue we used ZAP-A-GOO, this will hold anything on anything I think, got to be careful thou it might distort/melt the plastic, it very strong glue, test it on scrap piece of plastic first. It takes a long while to dry, so you will not see any effects of distortion for a while.

Also make sure you round the edges of the I-beam material so it won't snag on the box rail, it'll slide much easier that way.

this canopy project is very time consuming,[>:] but worth the effort.;) I think that's why you do not see them that much.

F18 09-08-2007 09:21 PM

OK WILLY THANKS FOR ADDED INFORMATION IT"S COMING OUT GOOD WHOLE DAY MAKING RAILS SATERDAY .Then waiting till sunday for fiting information from you guy"s and your timing was perfect i said to my wife am" going to wait till i hear from willy !! cut fuse fit side rails in didn"t glue yet set at 90degrees straight right? well they look great nice slide motion did you put locating pins were canopy meets dash? i"m sorry hitting you with all these details qestions! there"s a intresting p-51 that poped up rc universe TF DANCA IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WERE RIGHT AREOTEC CANOPY FRAME LOOKS UNDER SIZE LIKE YOU SAID NICE P-51 TO!!SIX SHOOTER DIFFERENT .WELL WEIGHT MY P-51 COMES IN AT 25.9 LBS WITHOUT NOSE WEIGHT! HAVE TO FINILIZE BALANCING YET PURCHASED BALANCING JIG JUST TO MAKE SURE HAVE FORWARD ROCK. WELL LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DID FOR FRONT CANOPY TO DASH OK YOUR GREAT HELP AGAIN !!!OK BYE WILLY

willey 09-08-2007 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the rails have to be the same angle as the canopy angle (canopy is not 90*) look at the picture close - to see were abouts the I-beam is located on the canopy. It's set back a little from the front edge of canopy frame.

Also there is a small strip of styrene glued to the front inside lip of the canopy so when the canopy is closed the small strip goes under the front windsheild, this is a good idea to do, helps it from vibrating and sliding back and forth from side to side. Look at the photo above and below with the pilot, you can see the lip I'm talking about.

Last pic is just a teaser!!:D

F18 09-08-2007 11:49 PM

:DTHIS HELPING OUT ALOT WILLY THANKS APPRECIATE YOUR TIME IN HELPING ME OUT IF YOU ARE EVER IN MY AREA STOP BYE FOR A BEER OR HAMBUGER !:D:D PEOPLE ARE STOPING BYE AND LOVE MY P-51 AND I SHOW THEM YOURS THEY LOVE THEM!! WELL I HAD TO PUT THIS UPGRADE IN AND I WILL WIGHT AGAIN TO LET YOU KNOW HOW EVERYTHING IS GOING THANKS GLAD I DIDN"T GLUE THOSE RAILS IN YET!!!:):):):DBYE WILLY THAKS AGAIN!!!:D:D:D

willey 09-08-2007 11:57 PM

Don't you have a warbird meet every year near you, I think that was you??

F18 09-09-2007 08:54 PM

YES THEIR WAS A BIG WAR BIRD MEET IN QUAKER TOWN THEY JUST HAD IT A FEW WEEKS AGO!!!WANTED TO GO IN WORST WAY. But could'nt make this year weather was bad the day i could go!!! no rain for longest time then it pour that day next time . WELL RAILS CUT RECESSED IN FUSE ALL MACHINE WORK DONE ! jUST HAVE TO GLUE RAILS SO FAR SO GOOD THANKS AGAIN WILL WRITE IN A WEEK WILLY TIME TO GO BACK TO WORK FOR THE WEEK!![:@][:@] I'LL TALK TO SOON OK WILLY BYE !!!

PILOT RD 09-10-2007 11:40 AM

What holds the canopy closed in flight?

Bill Jennings 09-10-2007 03:37 PM

G'Day Willey.
Great to see the photo of you, your Dad and the P51. That looks to be one happy mob besides a great flying aircraft. Something for you to treasure. Thanks for sharing.

Regards.

Bill.

twister 09-10-2007 10:50 PM

Hey i was wondering if the Da 50 would work well on this plane?

BobH 09-11-2007 06:33 AM

The DA 50 would work fine as would any 40cc-50cc engine.

F18 09-29-2007 11:01 PM

Hi willy i thought you might want to see how p-51 canopy is coming along! Thanks for all information. Your help was great it maid the upgrade easy. Well it was alot of aligment time tinker time city!!! But think it came out pretty good slides nice ! Good locking feel when closed. Well now have to rebalance it came in on new ditial scale at 25.12 lbs well talk to you again thanks willy !!!! :):D

F18 09-29-2007 11:07 PM

willy heres the pictures canopy upgrade!

F18 10-03-2007 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
willy here are the pic"s i hope!!!

willey 10-03-2007 11:22 PM

Looking real nice!!;) your weight came out good!! will you be able to fly soon?

willey 10-03-2007 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Bill Jennings

G'Day Willey.
Great to see the photo of you, your Dad and the P51. That looks to be one happy mob besides a great flying aircraft. Something for you to treasure. Thanks for sharing.

Regards.

Bill.
Thanks Bill! yes it's been a fun project for the both of us, we have a great time together!!;)

What holds the canopy closed in flight?
PilotRD, I ended up using a very small phillips screw in the back brass center rail for now, it's about half the size of a servo screw. I'll have to come up with something better later on.

F18 10-07-2007 07:37 PM

HI WILLY SHOULD BE ABLE TO FLY SOON STARTED DA-50 BREAKING IT IN RIGHT NOW MAN THIS ENGINE IS STRONG !!! BUILT CHOKE LINKAGE STRAIGHT IN TO THE COKPIT COULDN"T COME UP WITH A CLEAN LINKAGE IN COWL SO RAN A 2-56 ROD STRAIGHT IN TO COKPIT WORKS POSTIVE THATS WHY I NEEDED TO HAVE A OPENING CANOPY. WELL SO FAR SO GOOD WILLY ! I MAID A LOCKING SET UP FOR CANOPY SO FAR IT"S WORKING NICE CHEAP TIE WRAP CUT TO SIZE W/A SWICTH CAP CUT DOWN TO FIT INSIDE RAIL AND SLIDE!!! I GET ACTION BOTH WAYS FULLY CLOSE AND FULLY OPEN AND LIGHT WEIGHT . WELL WILL SEND YOU MORE PICs' THANKS AGAIN FOR WALKING ME THROUGH CANOPY PROJECT !!!!! TALK TO YOU SOON BYE:D:D:D:)

willey 10-08-2007 10:09 PM

F18, give us a few closeup photos of your canopy sometime, would like to see it.;)

F18 10-16-2007 04:00 PM

willy at work right now this weekend i will send you pic"s ok !!!! have to take upgrade pic"s of canopy ok bye

warks62 10-16-2007 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here is mine at 22#. G-62, glassed and painted, scale aluminum inner and outer doors.

willey 10-16-2007 08:42 PM

warks, that looks really, really NICE!!!;) great job! did you build it from the kit?

prop wash 10-16-2007 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Willey,here is a pic of my "Woody" coming in for a landing.All these "Stangs here ,I'm slobering.:D:D Tom

willey 10-16-2007 09:11 PM

Tom, that's a cool shot!! have any close-ups - looks nice!

Guys, If you have not done so, make sure you post them in the "Gathering of Mustangs & Legends" thread, they'll look good in there!!:D

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6241747/tm.htm

F18 10-28-2007 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi willy really sorry got back to you late the leaves are killing a lot of quality time you know !!!!! suck the leaves up look behind you and they back like you never did them[:o][&o]:eek: Well anyway started engine da-50 2 gallons ran threw so far so good canopy didn"t vibrate back with clip set up!! enclosed is pic:'s of clips one clip is a cut off relay micro swicth arm long .The other clip is a cut down tie wrap with actualy slides under relay clip forcing it thight ! the red modified swith cap is trimmed to fit in rails and slide. a little unscale but keeps canopy thight!! YOU HAVE TO BEND A LPTTLE ARC TO CRATE SPING TENSION IN RELAY ARM. OK WILLY WILL TALK TO YOU OK BYE!!!!

willey 04-08-2008 10:44 AM

F18, what's up dude! have you flown it yet, how you making out with that 51????