RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/5120982-new-hangar-9-1-50-p-51-build.html)

spaul813 12-29-2009 10:01 PM

RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

Hello Gentleman,

I haven't made it the whole way through this post yet so I apologize if this question was already answered. I picked up this beauty new in the box and am just finishing. Two questions.

1. I am planning on flying her with a Moki 1.8 inverted with on board glow. Will this set up be okay?

2. Did you guys end up reinforcing the rails for the gear?

What a beautiful plane. I can't wait to fly her. Too bad they discontinued this model, just like the P-47 I have (actually had).

Thanks for your input!

gneal02 12-29-2009 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: GSK

Todd has fitted it into his one with no problems, if you go back into his posts you will see his pics of the install.
I am waitng for him to do the trials to see how it performs .
I gather he is doing some retiming of the motor so that it will drive a larger prop better also .
The model has a finite speed i feel but with the larger gas motors it will have better vertical performance .
The other major is to fit Robarts which turned out well in my case, i had a lot of hassels with the original retracts that came with the kit ,highly reccomended .
It turned out to be a very expensive model in my case as i used top qaulity servos throughout , all worth the extra trouble as everything is all heavy duty so i have not had some of the problems that some have posted .

It does fly well , you will not be dissapointed .
Enjoy
Graeme

Are you talking about Todd1? The only posts I found by Todd1 are showing him putting a DA50 in his.

GSK 12-29-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:2. Did you guys end up reinforcing the rails for the gear?

Yep! i have just replaced mine after a heap of flying , i would suggest to soak them with thin Cyno and leave them as they are until you really need to do anything major to them.
G

GSK 12-29-2009 10:19 PM

Are you talking about Todd1?

Na Todd Syssa

spaul813 12-29-2009 10:21 PM

Great. Thanks GSK.

I am excited to get this old (brand new to me) bird finished and in the air this spring. I have a cockpit kit (which will be my first ever cockpit kit) to complete and should take some time. Mounting the engine hopefully will be pretty simple. Thanks for the input on the rails!

spaul813 12-29-2009 10:24 PM

CRG,

I have the Century Jet cockpit kit but have yet to start it. Let me know if you have yours done or have started and any advice you may have. Thanks.

GSK 12-29-2009 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a suggestion guys , I use Alighn Heli T-Rex 450 screws to attach my canopy's and cowls , they look good ,and do the job well.
If you do not have an agent handy i will try and find the part number if you are interested . you get quite an assortment in the packet
After seeng mine a lot of Plank fliers head for the shop to get some .
Graeme

CRG 12-29-2009 11:20 PM

I ended up with the Dynamic Balsa short kit, looks like it's going to work well and it's just the amount of detail I wanted. Difficult (for me) to justify the full kit on an ARF.

Got home from family xmas today and my paints for it had arrived (MM FS series), I probably won't get to it for a month or two. Still waiting for the Robart pneumatics also.

ORIGINAL: spaul813

CRG,

I have the Century Jet cockpit kit but have yet to start it. Let me know if you have yours done or have started and any advice you may have. Thanks.

spaul813 12-30-2009 09:10 AM

Okay CRG. I''m interested to see how the Century Kit goes. I only got it because it was quite a bit cheaper. I got the Dynamic Balsa for my B-25 and haven't started it either yet.

GSK. I'll search but would like to know the item number on those screws you used for the canopy. That is one thing I fight on every plane is deciding how I am going to attach the canopy and better yet what screws I will use if I don't glue it down.

Has anyone in any of these threads made the canopy removable (on a slide I mean) for more detail or would that even be possible? Thanks gentleman.

Oh, does anyone think my Moki 1.8 is not enough? I had a OS 1.60 in my P-47 (Hangar 9) and it flew it fine so I assumed the 1.8 should be plenty.

spaul813 12-30-2009 09:14 AM

CRG,

What are MM FF series paints and what colors would you say I need? I wasn't sure and don't have my paints picked out yet.

CRG 12-30-2009 12:07 PM

They are Model Master enamels. I got them from Horizon but you could probably find them locally at a hobby shop or maybe craft type places. I got red, gray, zinc chromate, black, white and aluminum, should do to get started.

I think your Moki will be more than enough, I'm using a 26cc gas motor, the Moki is 30cc.

I'm planning to cut my canopy at the bow, glue the front section in place and retain the bubble with magnets and pins.

CRG,

What are MM FF series paints and what colors would you say I need? I wasn't sure and don't have my paints picked out yet.

GSK 12-30-2009 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen canopy,s disappear midflight due to the owners not cutting away the covering and glueing straight onto the Oracover ,, Not the greatest of idea,s in my book.
Here is how mine has weathered the rough and tumble of many flights .

spaul813 12-30-2009 01:26 PM

You gusy have sparked my interest again. I would love to be able to have the canopy accessible via a two piece design. I have never done that so I need some advice on how to make it work. I really want to do this as long as it can be done without losing the canopy as GSK is talking about. If it can be done, please let me know how so I can show off all the work and expensive pilot I have. Thanks.

CRG 12-30-2009 01:29 PM

When I get to it will take some pics. Is not that complicated, and won't have screws on the outside.

I also ordered a spare canopy to have for the future. I broke the original on my first one in the shop when the fuse fell over and the canopy hit something.

You gusy have sparked my interest again. I would love to be able to have the canopy accessible via a two piece design. I have never done that so I need some advice on how to make it work. I really want to do this as long as it can be done without losing the canopy as GSK is talking about. If it can be done, please let me know how so I can show off all the work and expensive pilot I have. Thanks.

spaul813 12-30-2009 03:09 PM

Has anyone flown their plane with the included yellow spinner? I have read the comments about it not being "strong" enough. Has anyone tried it and did you have any troubles? I'm being lazy but would rather do that than buy a new one at $70 for the Dave Brown5" Parabolic. Thanks.

CRG 12-30-2009 03:12 PM

I've only seen it used on electric versions. I use a Tru Turn 5 inch.

Has anyone flown their plane with the included yellow spinner? I have read the comments about it not being ''strong'' enough. Has anyone tried it and did you have any troubles? I'm being lazy but would rather do that than buy a new one at $70 for the Dave Brown5'' Parabolic. Thanks.

spaul813 12-30-2009 03:27 PM

Man you're fast CRG :D. Thanks for the input....I'll check out the Tru Turn. I'm wanting to use some self etching primer and paint it if this is the route I take. I guess I'm anal and would like to keep the yellow theme flowing. Thanks again!;)

CRG 12-30-2009 03:36 PM

Being distracted by rc forums is one of the hazards of 'working' at home.

The Tru Turn is perhaps the most expensive option, the Dave Brown is more affordable and apparently good enough for the job (I've never used one).

My Donald Moore pilot figure came in the mail just now, it's really nice. Glad to have seen that in the thread previously.

Man you're fast CRG :D. Thanks for the input....I'll check out the Tru Turn. I'm wanting to use some self etching primer and paint it if this is the route I take. I guess I'm anal and would like to keep the yellow theme flowing. Thanks again!;)

spaul813 12-30-2009 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: CRG

Being distracted by rc forums is one of the hazards of 'working' at home.

The Tru Turn is perhaps the most expensive option, the Dave Brown is more affordable and apparently good enough for the job (I've never used one).

My Donald Moore pilot figure came in the mail just now, it's really nice. Glad to have seen that in the thread previously.

Darn it CRG! Where did you find the Donald Moore? I've been looking for one (not real hard) and haven't found one. Where did you get it and how much?

CRG 12-30-2009 07:07 PM

Got it on ebay. Here's the link, he's got piles of them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180450347251

Darn it CRG! Where did you find the Donald Moore? I've been looking for one (not real hard) and haven't found one. Where did you get it and how much?

spaul813 12-30-2009 09:27 PM

Thanks CRG...found it. If you have looked at it, do you think it is close to the right size? I really like this pilot, just a little worried about the size. And of course, If I get it I am going to have to give him a full set of pants some how......have now idea how though.

CRG 12-30-2009 09:46 PM

Look at posts 2478 and 2479 by Scott Douglas and you'll see him installed. I think he's a good size.

spaul813 12-31-2009 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: CRG

They are Model Master enamels. I got them from Horizon but you could probably find them locally at a hobby shop or maybe craft type places. I got red, gray, zinc chromate, black, white and aluminum, should do to get started.

I think your Moki will be more than enough, I'm using a 26cc gas motor, the Moki is 30cc.

I'm planning to cut my canopy at the bow, glue the front section in place and retain the bubble with magnets and pins.

CRG,

Hey CRG,

Getting ready to go get my paints. Do you know what color folks are using for the main light green color. You can see it in the pictures with the Donald Moore pilot. I alos need that color for my B-25. Looks fairly standard....but don't know what it is Any thoughts?

CRG 12-31-2009 12:56 PM

I'm using Zinc Chromate, others have called it cockpit green though I don't know if that's an official paint color.

spaul813 12-31-2009 03:26 PM

Thanks CRG.

I was at the hobby shop and MM actually has an "interior green". I looked at the "zinc chromate" and figured out that was what you were probably using. I would think it would be fine too, the "interior green" is just a little greener in color than the zinc chromate I saw. Either should be fine.

One other quick question, I assume you had to drop the floor on your cockpit, or will be? How do you plan on doing this. Obviously there are several ways, just curious what you thought might be the best way to cut it out cleanest?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!