RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/5120982-new-hangar-9-1-50-p-51-build.html)

Airnondas 02-12-2007 03:45 PM

RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

Nice shots of the Stang Dick

Do you have any video?

I would also like to ask you about the Saito running inverted, are you using a pump or any on board glow system for the engine.

Thanks.

Airnondas

reincarnate 02-12-2007 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Build-n-flyer-RCU

Reincarnate,

I would not recommend trying to fly the plane with a 6-pitch prop turning less than 8500 RPM. Been there done that with the 77" version and 200Ti and it was a very scary flight. You will need to generate some speed for the plane to fly good and you will find that this is just as important as static thrust.

I recommend that you drop back in diameter so that you can turn at least an 8-pitch prop. After managing to save the plane with the 18x6 I tried a 17x8 next. Much, much better. Then I went to a 16x10 which was better yet. All of this was with the 200Ti turning well under 9000 RPM.

Walt
Walt, thanks for helping. The 18x6 I'm running is for break-in process, and the spare Zinger Pro was an epic mistake (ordered wrong size[>:]) I however wasn't exactly sure what to fly with, so your help was greatly appreciated. Checked the specs on both your engine and mine, and aside your's being larger cc, and heavier, and way cooler looking, they scope out real similar, from prop to rpm. Do you have any idea on the hp rating of the 200Ti? Again thanks for you valuable input.

reincarnate 02-12-2007 05:16 PM

Ian...
Regarding the 6 Volt system the JR 791 will not function past approx 5.4 volts.

Sorry can't figure out how to quote a portion of a post. That being said, the above is your reply on the 791's. I've got them hooked up to my 6v system, (still. Haven't decided what to do) just checked my battery (hobbico voltmeter) with Rx load on and read 6.52 volt. The servo's work fine, and have probably cycled them approx 50 times testing, adjusting and just watching them work. I'm getting no buzz, hum, chatter or anything from the servo. I swear I'm not being argumentative, just trying to deal with this issue. If my questions are helping someone else, then it will worth the trouble. I just can't believe I'm the only person with 791's on a 6v system.

Hopefully you guys don't think I'm an idiot or a fool. The constantly learning process I go through just makes it seem that way. Bear with me please. And if you believe me, please inform my wife. She thinks I'm an idiot, a fool, and a few things the moderator would edit.

Jarrah 02-12-2007 06:12 PM

hey Dick, awesome photos and great news to hear about your flights, just wondering if you could please tell me what fuel u got that tach reading on cheers.

reincarnate 02-12-2007 07:44 PM

OK I give. Sank another $54 into mine for a 4.8v 4500mAh battery, and put the 6v into the "gotta be a use for this someday" box. Great diagram provided by Bo, just didn't want another battery's weight or cutting another hole in the side for charge jack. Bright side is that I just shaved off another few oz from the frame. My God I hate to give up, but it was a good fight.[>:] What I wouldn't give to live south of the Mason Dixon with Pettit. It even looked warm in his pics! Glad to see one in the air.

Jarrah 02-12-2007 07:57 PM

My 220 just arried. OMG this thing is a monster i hadnt seen it in person until now, wow a breathtaking motor thats for sure!!! i cant wait to fire it up, just hoping the LHS stocks a big enuff prop!!! im thinking apc 18x8 for break in?

tailskid 02-12-2007 09:21 PM

And make sure your hobby shop sells fuel by the case :)

olstoney 02-13-2007 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

Ian...
Regarding the 6 Volt system the JR 791 will not function past approx 5.4 volts.

Sorry can't figure out how to quote a portion of a post. That being said, the above is your reply on the 791's. I've got them hooked up to my 6v system, (still. Haven't decided what to do) just checked my battery (hobbico voltmeter) with Rx load on and read 6.52 volt. The servo's work fine, and have probably cycled them approx 50 times testing, adjusting and just watching them work. I'm getting no buzz, hum, chatter or anything from the servo. I swear I'm not being argumentative, just trying to deal with this issue. If my questions are helping someone else, then it will worth the trouble. I just can't believe I'm the only person with 791's on a 6v system.

Hopefully you guys don't think I'm an idiot or a fool. The constantly learning process I go through just makes it seem that way. Bear with me please. And if you believe me, please inform my wife. She thinks I'm an idiot, a fool, and a few things the moderator would edit.
Been thinking about this too. Is there some reason why a voltage regulator could not be used for the retract servos?

pettit 02-14-2007 06:45 AM

Answers to some questions.

Yes, I use a McDaniel onboard glow lighter connected to a separate channel so I can turn it on or off anytime.

Omega 15% 2 stroke fuel, hence the "vapor trail"

Sorry, didn't do any video this time.

Jarrah 02-14-2007 09:57 PM

Hey guys just got my bird yesterday, looks awesome! great size too, just wondering how you guys are going to set it up on ur radios, i have a JR 9x VII and am using a JR 10DS reciever, planning on using all 9 channels, how should i go about this.

cheers

Build-n-flyer-RCU 02-15-2007 01:19 PM

Reincarnate,

I don't put much stock in horsepower numbers, but the 200Ti makes power somewhere between a 150 and 180 Saito. I liked a 17x8 APC or 16x10 MA Classic best with the Mustang. I since moved the Saito to a Dynaflite Decathalon and fly it with a 16x8 APC.

Walt

dgliderguy 02-16-2007 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what finally got here! My Evolution 35GT with Evo wrap-around muffler. Man, this motor is one nice bit of machinery, from the looks of it. As soon as I'm finished with my current project (wings in background), I'll crack open the Mustang kit. Gettin' all goosey for this one!

rcuser004 02-18-2007 01:00 AM

The 5" aluminum spinner Tower sells for the Top Flite 1/5th P-51 ARF works fine and is only $ 26.99. Here is the link;
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXFZX2

Slviper 02-18-2007 06:42 PM

Anyone else used the Top Flight? Please post thoughts. I have heard the supplied spinner may not be flight worthy without modification?
Dave Brown is $50 from Horizon and back ordered for months!
I sent an inquiry directly to Dave Brown from their website to see if I cound get some info.... No Reply, sent second request.... someone wrote back to tell about the snowstorm still no word on when the spinner could be shipped and list price is $70 something.
Thanks,
Steve

tranker 02-18-2007 06:52 PM

You can buy the dave brown spinner from tower for less than buying direct. Works great and the quality appears similiar to TruTurn.

Jarrah 02-19-2007 09:29 PM

my build is comming along nicely, should be ready to maiden her in 2 weeks :d excited already

Rip n Bank 02-19-2007 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Jarrah

my build is comming along nicely, should be ready to maiden her in 2 weeks :d excited already
Jarrah,

Wow, you only got the ARF 5 days ago, and you'll be set to fly in 2 weeks? Wish I could move that fast!

Course, it's summer down there and a day delay in building is one less for flying, right?. Up here in Colorado, it's still too cold, or too windy, or too much snow on the ground to need to move fast on the build. I can take my time and still easily make the early flying season.

I mounted my 220 on the engine stand today and expect to crank her up sometime this week (stock muffler, haven't seen the Keleo, yet). After a couple of gallons through her, I'll then bolt her back onto the plane, which will be done in 2-3 weeks, probably.

Be sure to give us a maiden flight report, and pictures, if possible.

Good luck!

Bo

tailskid 02-19-2007 11:17 PM

Speaking of Saito's....a guy 'gave away' a CG Yak w/ radio and Saito 220 for a cool $700 last weekend! I sure could of used that engine in my P-51-150! But when my ship came in, I was at the airport!!! :(

Jerry

Jarrah 02-20-2007 12:18 AM

Haha yea nice and warm here, and with constant rain for the past week ive been inside everyday. Possibly could have had her up this comming weekend cept im waiting on my retract servos and metal arms. I am also without my keleo and dont expect to see it for at least a month or two so the maiden will be conducted using the stock muffler with no cowl. Ive only run maybe 1 gal thru the motor so far and will most likely run another 1 or 2 thru it this weekend.

I put the tach on it just to see what it was doing, looks promising with it turning a APc 18*8 @ 8500 with 5 screws rich. Awesome sounding motor i must admit just watch the smoke on the run in mixture, lucky i live on property cause i had about 1 acre covered in smoke :D

havnt had any issues with the build so far, all comming along smoothly, and i was happy to see that the motor mount has a slide so you do not have to muck round drilling holes for the mounting bolts which means i can easily and quickly get the perfect gap for the spinner. For the spinner i have ordered a Dave Brown 5" parabolic cut for 3 blade, however i read in another thread that there are some large delays on his spinners so again ill be maidening her without a spinner.

As far as the prop goes ill do the maiden on the 18*8 apc as this is the only prop round this size that i have lying round. When the motor is more broken in after a few gallons or so im planning on trying this Bolly 18*3 Carbon narrow blade. I know you said power maybe an issue and i did read that thread but i am optoistic that it will run OK on it, even if i have to bump the nitro up to get the desired RPM's. Like i said earlier performance does not worry me as much as having a more scale haha, looking plane.

My Tony howard exhaust kit arrived yesterday. Looks to be very good workmanship however there appears to be quite a large ammount of work to be done on it to mount it to the plane and prep it ect..havnt really had a good look at the instructions but ill do so within the next few days.

For onboard glow im just using a simple setup consisting of a remote glow fitting coupled with a standard switch used for recievers and a sub C battery, this appears to be the simplest and cheapest method that i have found and i seeing as i am using all 9 channels of my JR 9x ii i cannot use a switch for it.

A question tho, has anyone found any good pilots for this model? I had a look at my LHS but most of their stock is far too small for this model and really isnt of the quality or detail that i am after. More than likely have to order one from the states...sigh more waiting haha.

Oh well im off to work on my extra, gotta plumb this smoker in woooot.

Pictures of maiden to follow.

Happy Flying.

Jarrah 02-20-2007 05:12 AM

Jusr saw that the cowl will fit the stock muffler with no cutouts so ill be able to bolt that on for the maiden :0

pettit 02-20-2007 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some photos of the Keleo muffler on the Saito 220.

Less than 100 RPM difference to stock muffler, but the Keleo is 4 db louder (93db stock vs 97db Keleo)

Data taken at 7200 RPM static on the ground.

Rip n Bank 02-20-2007 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: pettit

Here's some photos of the Keleo muffler on the Saito 220.

Less than 100 RPM difference to stock muffler, but the Keleo is 4 db louder (93db stock vs 97db Keleo)

Data taken at 7200 RPM static on the ground.
That single-pipe version of his Pitts-style you show is what I'm also waiting for from Kelvin. Good to see it fits w/o carving up the cowl even more.

I had hoped for a bit more power improvement over the stock muffler, though. "Less than 100 RPM.." isn't that much for the corresponding noise increase, though the latter doesn't bother me in any case. Subjectively, how does it sound?

Bo

pettit 02-20-2007 01:44 PM

The stock muffler is really quiet in the air, and the Keleo is what I would describe as "throaty".

Not excessively loud, but nice sounding.

Rip n Bank 02-20-2007 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: pettit

The stock muffler is really quiet in the air, and the Keleo is what I would describe as "throaty".

Not excessively loud, but nice sounding.
Dick,

As the saying goes,... "RIGHT ANSWER!" :D

Bo

Ski-pilot 02-20-2007 04:35 PM

Jarrah - I plan to use the Elite Force "Donald Moore" pilot for my P51 (I have some images of him in my gallery). It seems both you and me have a loong way to ship things from the US!! I ordered my Dave Brown spinner on the 13th of january, and their support says it was shipped already on the 15th of january. It has not arrived yet and I´m beginning to lose hope here... I ordered Robart offset struts and a TopFlite 1/5 scale cockpit from Tower and they arrived pretty fast. I´m also awaiting delivery of the Keleo scale exhaust for the Saito 180 (check Spitpilots images in the previous postings - they´re sweet!!). I have the 180 though and will run it on the bench once I have a starter that can crank the beast :). Man - there are so many funky gadgets you can use with this model! And I´m still missing the model itself by the way (duh).

Speaking of funky gadgets, have you checked out this one: http://www.hicam.com.au/pro_x2.htm ? They are not so far from you Jarrah [8D]! Once my wallet recovers from intensive care after bying the above stuff, and assuming the maiden + 20 or so flights go well, I´m considering converting one of the bombs to a camera pod (if it will fit).

Good luck all of you!