RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Blue Max on Cinemax (ww1) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/5629781-blue-max-cinemax-ww1.html)

KitBuilder 03-28-2007 11:58 AM

Blue Max on Cinemax (ww1)

The blue max a movie is making another run on cinemax these days... real nice WWI dogfight, etc footage for those interested... (1966) so no phony computer stuff...
Mike

eagledancer 03-28-2007 06:25 PM

RE: Blue Max on Cinemax (ww1)

they put it out on DVD not long ago.... got my copy !

adam d 03-28-2007 06:33 PM

what hollywood needs to do is make a GOOD wwII figter or bomber movie thats what they need.

timothy thompson 03-28-2007 07:50 PM

well no love story please. memphis belle was great and so was tusk airman. how about the story of taffy 3 vs IJN in the battle of leyte gulf

KitBuilder 03-29-2007 09:40 AM

Well i certainly don't mind the occasional hottie !! (Beckinsale, Pearl Harbor... My knees are still shaking ! or the french babe in flyboys!!)
Mike

rrudytoo 03-29-2007 11:42 AM

The combination of Hollywood and a "good" war movie is an oxymoron. "Pearl Harbor", though visually stunning, was so full of technical and historical errors as to be laughable. Same goes for "Memphis Belle". "Flyboys"? Oh, please! That one was "B" movie matinee stuff.

"Das Boot" was very close to realism even though the time frame was off by a couple of years. But "Das Boot" was not made in Hollywood which may explain its excellence. "The Battle of Britain" was somewhat awkward and altered the facts just a tad but it had real aircraft. It's just too bad that 5.1 digital sound wasn't available at that time. One of the all-time best was "All Quiet On The Western Front" and I'm not talking about the one with John Boy, either. "Flags of Our Fathers" was very good and I have high hopes for "Letters From Iwo Jima" when it is released to DVD.

You're right, though, that we need to see a genuinely authentic WWII aviation film. Could you imagine someone putting together an accurate and convincing film dealing with the Schweinfurt raid or the downing of Yamamoto's Betty? One can only hope.

Al

adam d 03-29-2007 08:31 PM

thats what made saveing private ryans soo good. there wasent any love crap and it showed what real war is about(not that thats a good thing) but if ther was a flying move like SPR i would have to say people would go to see it. pearl harbour was visually stunning but the only good dog fighting sceens are during the battle of britan and it was only 10 mins long[sm=thumbs_down.gif]im not saying that i like killing but it is fun to watch a plane go mono a mono with out any heat seeking rockets(thats cheating)and it good to show people what happend and how we kept our freedom some great pilots arent even known. during wwI there was a canadian pilot who took on 30 german planes , shot down 3 and managed to escape with a bullet in his elbow and one in his pelvis now that is crazy. he had a unrecorded 78 kills that is nuts there is one book that mentions his name in it, only one. this guy was better than billy bishop but due to the fact he wasent well like they kept him out of history books. it may seem like im rambeling on but the point there is alot more guys like him who know body knows and it would be very easy to make a movie( a good movie) about these pilots.
Atlest one of the discovery chanel spin offs the military channel has a show, i forget what its called but some of the storys would make great movies.
well that about my 2 bux worth

Adam

timothy thompson 03-29-2007 09:28 PM

remeber the general public doesnt know an aileron from a flap! look at how they ruined flight of the phoenix? Better effects but still no explanation as to what a coffman starter is. I know as a pilot but non pilots think they are shotgun shells.
i heard cameron was considering a bismarck film that would be great! no love story though. Midway or leyte better yet in harms way would do great. a movie on kamikaze pilots or the true story of greg boyington would be nice

BobH 03-29-2007 11:03 PM

You must be talking about Billy Barker the Canadian Ace. And his last episode in a Sopwith Snipe nearly killed him. Were it not for the fact that he crashlanded near an aid station he most likely would have died. There is a book about him.. its his biography. His death was much celebrated in Canada when he died testing a new aircraft. He flew with one hand and didn't fully finish a loop. Probably was pilot error. Yes his life was pretty colorful and may make a good movie.. His Camel was numbered #6313. The most combati missions for any Camel of WWI.

Kmot 03-30-2007 02:03 AM

I have The Blue Max on DVD and just watched it today. First time I have seen it in many years. It is a good movie, very entertaining and good flying scenes. But, they use DH Tiger Moths as some of the WWI German aircraft. :)

Bruno Stachel 03-30-2007 07:05 AM

Once a year, when I was a kid, the local UHF channel would play The Blue Max. I kept an eye on the listings and caught it every time. Fast forward some years and I thought I died and went to Heaven when I found it on VHS. Now I have it on DVD, in widescreen, and can more easily skip to my favorite scenes. It's great that Cinemax is playing it. That should expose it to more first time viewers. But you know, I never got to see The Blue Max on the big screen. And to me that's the way to see a film. I wish I could find one of those theaters that plays classic films. I don't think they exist anymore.

KitBuilder 03-30-2007 08:12 PM

problem is no one (meaning very limited audience) would see a technicallhy accurate film with no "drama" thereby making it not financially worthwhile.. Saving Private Ryan was an eception.. I have a friend in the theatre end of things and was able to get an advanced screening pass...Lots of WWII vets were invited... Many were openly crying during the main raid.. very very moving... I for one am not overly concernedabout exact authenticity and facts. I just love watching the older planes scoot around the screen whether the colors are right or not. Ignorance in this case is bliss .. lol...

Mike

jeffEE 03-30-2007 09:27 PM

I can live with the tiger moths in the blue max, it's the TV antennas on the roofs that made me laugh.

timothy thompson 03-30-2007 10:16 PM

a boyington movie done would be great robert conrad could play gen moore! bujt a true story his pilots were not misfits and screwups

adam d 03-31-2007 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BobH

You must be talking about Billy Barker the Canadian Ace. And his last episode in a Sopwith Snipe nearly killed him. Were it not for the fact that he crashlanded near an aid station he most likely would have died. There is a book about him.. its his biography. His death was much celebrated in Canada when he died testing a new aircraft. He flew with one hand and didn't fully finish a loop. Probably was pilot error. Yes his life was pretty colorful and may make a good movie.. His Camel was numbered #6313. The most combati missions for any Camel of WWI.

I think u are right, ray colishaw was a fighter/bomber pilot(but his stories are also amazing).

alot of people think it was sucide and alot think it was pilot error do to not enogh strength in that one arm

oriole 04-03-2007 02:30 PM

To piggy back on Kitbuilders comment above. To get the general public to see and have financial success at the box office, you need a storyline or side drama, or without you have a History Channel type documentary.

Saving Private Ryan was not only about the DDAY landing, but the fictitious search to rescue Matt Damon's character from being killed.

Oriole

P.S. Love the Blue Max (and Ursula Andress in her prime)

Bruno Stachel: You've got 18, haven't you?
Willi von Klugermann: Squadron Rule #1, Stachel: Gentlemen never parade their military achievements.
Bruno Stachel: Any rule against... saying how long it took you?
Willi von Klugermann: I would say that was covered by the same rule, wouldn't you?
Bruno Stachel: No. I wouldn't. How many rules are there?
Willi von Klugermann: I don't know: none of them have been written down.

MrMulligan 04-03-2007 05:54 PM

An Errol Flynn collection was released on DVD last week that includes Dive Bomber and Tha Dawn Patrol. Saw Dive Bomber over the weekend and really enjoyed the flyovers that ocurred whenever a principle character went outside. The Technicolor is great and the planes from the F3F to the Brewster Buffalo were terrific. Too bad the story wasn't better. I'm saving The Dawn Patrol for another night. DVD sure makes old movies look better.

ramcfarland 04-04-2007 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

remeber the general public doesnt know an aileron from a flap! look at how they ruined flight of the phoenix? Better effects but still no explanation as to what a coffman starter is. I know as a pilot but non pilots think they are shotgun shells.
i heard cameron was considering a bismarck film that would be great! no love story though. Midway or leyte better yet in harms way would do great. a movie on kamikaze pilots or the true story of greg boyington would be nice

heard cameron was considering a bismarck film that would be great!
Hey Tim my votes for The 'Bismark' only movie where aircraft disgusted me :D