RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   KMP Stuka-build details (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/5674792-kmp-stuka-build-details.html)

hookemut 04-06-2007 01:15 PM

KMP Stuka-build details

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to purchase my Stuka from "TOMAS" at VQ WARBIRDS and KMP WARBIRD sales here in the USA...he has been a very good person to deal with.

www.vqwarbirds.com [email protected]
hookemut

more pics

hookemut 04-06-2007 01:20 PM

RE: KMR Stuka

1 Attachment(s)
a few more details

MEINSHNAKE 04-06-2007 04:06 PM

That looks pretty good. Do you mean KMP or if not what is KMR. I am guessing that is ARF but either way that looks pretty good. I would like to see the fuselage

hookemut 04-06-2007 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: MEINSHNAKE

That looks pretty good. Do you mean KMP or if not what is KMR. I am guessing that is ARF but either way that looks pretty good. I would like to see the fuselage
Sorry, my error-KMP is correct. And it is an ARF

hookemut 04-06-2007 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The fuse and servo section

SCALECRAFT 04-07-2007 10:55 AM

Hi

Looks good. Can you tell us what it cost to get that to your door step. And also what the model weighs.

thanks

Steve

SJN 04-07-2007 11:01 AM

yea, looks great !

hookemut 04-07-2007 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

Hi

Looks good. Can you tell us what it cost to get that to your door step. And also what the model weighs.

thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,
Cost was $675, including freight
Weight is stated to be 11-13 pounds

hookemut 04-07-2007 04:14 PM

RE: KMP Stuka

1 Attachment(s)
Stuka continues---

The cowling with the assembled and painted exhaust stacks-can almost hear the rumble!

hookemut 04-08-2007 11:27 AM

RE: KMP Stuka-build details

1 Attachment(s)
KMP Stuka assembly, contd
The Stuka employed what are at times referred to as a 'double wing' or a 'slotted wing' for both the flaps and the ailerons. This kit faithfully reproduces that concept, with specially fabricated hinges and glas ailerons and flaps. Here I have shown the special fittings (which come fully assembled) and a jig which I set up inorder to hold the hinges in proper alignment while the attaching epoxy hardens. Be very careful here-pivots MUST line up, else they bind when flaps/ailerons are activated. The flat faces on the hinge assembly have two screw holes for fastening the hinged surface to the wing, where there are small recesses for positioning the hinge. Another caution-the hinges MUST be aligned with the 'foot' facing the proper direction!! There are left and right hinges!!!
hookemut

SCALECRAFT 04-08-2007 01:19 PM

Thanks hook.

But I was wondering what the kit parts total wieght was before construction as "out of box".

Thanks,

steve

hookemut 04-17-2007 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
It has been a while since my last progress report. Have progressed somewhat, and will soon post some pics. I have mounted the YS-120 to the firewall, have epoxied the hinges in place for the aileron and flaps, measured, drilled and mounted the wing hold-down dowel pins and wing nylon bolts. The fit of the wing into the saddle is very nice!
For those of you like a bit more detail, here is a 3vue of a Ju87-D5. Note that it still has dive flaps, wing guns, but no 'Jericho Trumpet' sirens. The Yt/KMP model id a Ju 87-G9 version, with the gun pods yet to arrive.
hookemut

hookemut 04-18-2007 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings,
Showing the join line of the center section to the fuse-a very good match! That is my YS-120 mounted 5 degrees clockwise from head straight down. Allows the exhaust bend at the head to remain in cowling contour.
While this isn't the biggest model ever was, it sure fills up my stand! The underside shot shows a nice fit of the starboard wing to the center section. You can see the lg mounting slots in the center section and the dimples along the wing/center section trailing edge. The various hinge 'feet' fit into these dimples where they are then screw fastened to the wing.
Will post later.
hookemut

MANFRED 04-18-2007 09:23 AM

I have to agree with you on the size, it seems smaller then what I had imagined it to be. Definately fly with the YS 120. I had gotten a YS 140 but that will probably go onto my KMP 109 now.

hookemut 04-20-2007 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I have opted to fly my KMP Stuka with my YS -120FS. Reasons, tho probably a bit overpowered, include great reliability, ease of tank placement and fueling, and enough oooomph to swing a 16x6 3-blade. Might have to get a Zinger custom. I simply can't stay within the cowl on the Stuka D version, but not too bad. Was generous around the edges -gets toasty here in Texas in the summer!
hookem

hookemut 04-22-2007 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Sunday hello to all!
I build in a bit of a helter-skelter fashion-it all has to be done, and I do watch out for 'next steps'. That being said, I began to mount the flap and aileron servos-the wings are NOT joined. Having no prior experience with the unique flap/aileron /hinges for this model, I decided to try one of the little inboard flap segments-a bit like the F4U Corsair.
You can see these hinges in an earlier post. Now comes my first caution for those of you who may follow with your own kit---the flaps and ailerons, including the little inboard flap segments are pre-drilled for you to insert and epoxy the pin hinges. HOWEVER, both of the flap segments are drilled incorrectly! See pics 1 and 2. The red line in Pic 1 shows that thw 'dimple' must be extended over 1/4" so that the glued in hinges will fit. With the fix, you get Pic 2. All of the hinge screw holes are too small and must be enlarged.
I'm a bit like a Beta software tester, I fear. Oh well, there will be more surprises, I'm sure. Meanwhile, on with the servo hatch build and fit. Remember the correct orientation for aileron servo pairs-different from the flap pair!
hookemut

hookemut 04-23-2007 04:12 PM

Today saw the stbd wing with the aileron and flap hinges screwed into their respective 'dimples' No anomolies-save for one overly ambitious screw hole that went too far! :embarassed: Oh well, it was VERY small drill bit! Tomorrow will see the port wing surfaces mounted(sans wayward hole!)-then on to installing the respective servos, horns, and pushrods. The action of these 'Doppel' surfaces is a hoot to see! :laugh:
hookemut

hookemut 04-25-2007 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, the beat goes on-port wing aileron and servo in and responding to xmtr commands. Port wing flaps are next. I would appreciate any thoughts wrt setting the ailerons at zero deflection-a bit different since they set back away from the wing trailing edge.
Before I forget-a few words wrt the overall build of the Stuka. Wings-very sturdy, well glued (Chinese Gorilla glue?) wood structure, sheeted with wood, covered with (x?), and painted with a very hard paint, panel lines incorporated. Ditto flaps, ailerons, elevators, and rudder. Very sturdy fiberglass cowl, and wheel spats and trousers. The fuse and vertical stab is sturdy fiberglass with interior framing . There is NO hot glue, anywhere!! The fuse half-joining line is invisible! Markings seem painted on, no transfers. All-in-all, a very classy job.
hookemut

mobyal 04-26-2007 09:48 PM

I saw this at Toledo. A really nice looking bird. And you're doing a great job w/ it, and good build -- or "assembly" -- thread too.

hookemut 04-27-2007 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Well, still plodding along-just being very careful-can't get replacement parts at local hobby shop. Pic shows port wing completed. Note the array of brass/aluminum hinges. Have exercised the flaps and ailerons via the radio/xmtr and have set hi/lo deflections, zeroed servos, and set both landing and diving deflections for the flaps. I use entirely JR servos, receiver, and transmitter.
Think that I will next mate the port wing with the center section. There is a piece of braided wire to be inserted between the main flap and the short flap mounted on the center section. It is to accomodate the gull.
Cheers,
hookemut

hookemut 04-30-2007 12:16 PM

Good Monday!
Managed to get the port wing epoxied to the center section. Be sure to check-fit the dihedral braces-and get the correct end oriented. You will need to drill two holes into the center section upper surface inorder to bring the aileron and flap servo leads out. A bit of fun, but with some string and a light stick, you will persevere! This assembly brings the wing up to 48 of its 79 inches. Tapered as it is, and with gull-design and a very smooth finish-it is a slippery bit to handle!
On to the starboard wing.
hookemut

nemesis4u 05-01-2007 12:27 AM

hookemut,

Great !! KEEP THE PROGRESS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!

-CHEERS!

TOMAS

lear31A 05-02-2007 12:38 PM

Port and starboard are for boats, airplanes have a right and left! Just kidding, overall, would you recommend this kit? I have been looking closely at this one. Thanks

hookemut 05-02-2007 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: lear31A

Port and starboard are for boats, airplanes have a right and left! Just kidding, overall, would you recommend this kit? I have been looking closely at this one. Thanks
Quiet, my ruffled feathers! From your comment, I can deduce that you are/were not a navy pilot! But you DID catch yourself-LOL!!
I hate answering questions with questions. That being said-mind giving me a few words wrt your building experience? And do you intend to enter scale competition with your model? This kit is a mix of beautiful parts and absolutely horrid instructions. The fuse, cowl, and wheel pants/leg covers (spats and trousers) are a good fiberglass material:The wings, center section, ailerons, flaps, rudder, and elevators are wood build-up with a very thin what appears to be wood sheeting cover then painted with a very hard paint. I have not answered your question, I realize. We need a bit more exchange.
Regards,
hoomemut

lear31A 05-02-2007 03:33 PM

HEHE, I knew I could ruffle your feathers. I am ex-USAF and I can always get to my Navy buddies! I do not plan on a scale competition SHIP (that was to make up). I have always liked the Stuka and there just arent any darn ARF's around with the exception of this one. I have been building/flying for several years and I am up to the challenge building wise, I believe. It just seems there are some areas that have let me down with this kit. Mind you, I could overcome those should the kit make a grand appearance at the end of the day. Thanks for sharing your build with us.