RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   RT Aerospace 1/5th T-34C Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6337288-rt-aerospace-1-5th-t-34c-build.html)

Joe Dirr 12-07-2010 10:11 AM

RE: RT Aerospace 1/5th T-34C Build

Kim,

Congratulations; your T-34 is strikingly beautiful!

Incidentally, I'm currently refurbishing my RT Aerospace T-34 and plan to do the same color scheme.

I'm interested in any dry transfers you have left and where you obtained them.

Let me know how much and I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

Thanks Kim,
Joe

Cell: 1-513-706-7809

V35BFLYER 12-07-2010 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Joe Dirr

Incidentally, I'm currently refurbishing my RT Aerospace T-34 and plan to do the same color scheme.

Joe,

Sent you an email. I'm sure I speak for a bunch of us, but how about posting some pics of your T34C? We don't care what it looks like presently. Also, was your model in RCModeler magazine 10+ years ago?

And I almost forgot......if anybody needs digital pictures of T34C's, I have hundreds. Just email me.

Kim

rgaynor 12-07-2010 12:07 PM

Hi Kim
I would also be interested in purchasing your left over dry transfers to be used on my 1/5 Scale TF Bonanza kit I am building. Please let me know what is left.

Thanks much

Joe Dirr 12-07-2010 03:05 PM

Kim,

I'll be glad to post some photos shortly.

As for the history of my T34; I purchased this from a fellow club member (Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club) around 2004. The aircraft was new; never flown. The builder did a respectable job with the finish, but I didn't realize the paint had not be clear-coated and the nitro from my Moki 1.8 quickly 'informed' me of this! :D

I believe the weight was around 33lbs; the aircraft flew well, but landings were 'jet-like' and used most of our 400' paved runway. I now have wheel brakes to take care of the fast approach & landing speeds.

Incidentally, I haven't seen your email; maybe the RCU web page is still messed up? If you like you can try my work email: [email protected]

Thanks Kim,
Joe

Dean rcu 12-07-2010 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: V35BFLYER

All completion pictures are now up and running on page 20, beginning with Post #493.
Enjoy........it's been a LOT of work.

Kim
Outstanding job on a complex subject Kim. Thanks for the 1/4 scale cockpit kit. My T-34 B is almost ready to test fly.

GEARED 12-10-2010 12:50 PM

KIM,
Congratulations on finishing that beautiful bird!
I was all the time trying to guess which painting scheme you would choose; the plane looks superb after the nice painting job you did.
Please keep us posted on the results of the engine tests and the maiden flight.
GOOD JOB!!!
Geared

V35BFLYER 12-10-2010 01:25 PM

Hi pal,

Thank you! It means a lot coming from you. Make sure to watch the "Walkaround" video on Youtube. I tell everybody about the excellent shield door you made for my T34C. Your engineering skills are superb!

Take care and let's see some pics of yours!

KIm

edp 12-10-2010 04:13 PM

Hi Kim,
I boo-booed. The Moki 2.1 has more power than a 50cc gas engine not a G-62. I went back and checked w/ my scale friend and we both realized we were talking two different things. I just wanted to clear things up and not look like an *****. This is why I like pattern. In scale, he builds them and I get to fly them.
In the Feb 2011 MAN mag. under tips, there is a power to weight ratio given of 1cu. per 12 pound. If that is true, then there were a lot of 10 pound scale airplanes powered with .60 size engines.
Again good luck with the first flight and I enjoyed the narration.

YAT-28E 12-12-2010 06:56 AM

Very sweet bird indeed!! A great build forum for guys like me to learn from as I work on my next scale project?
I have a question regarding the Aileron set up.

1- how do you make it detachable for painting?

Mike

V35BFLYER 12-12-2010 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,

Many thanks for the compliments and I appreciate your following my build! Good question, too. They say a picture or pictures are worth a thousand words, so I've enclosed a few to show how the "hidden aileron" control and attachment is done. Full design credit goes to Ray Torres of RT Aerospace (the manufacturer and designer of this kit) as I was just following his instructions in the build manual.

Kim

GEARED 12-13-2010 04:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Kim,
In the build of my T34-C I reached the point of painting preparation. I choosed the Camo painting scheme of the Royal Marrocco Air Force, the same as Ray Torres's.
Besides the pictures you provided me with, I found a plastic kit of that plane where that painting scheme was detailed and the colors identified by the FS codes. I was able to put hands on a FS chip file and that enabled me to have the paint mixed on a documented basis.
Since I live in an apartment, I do not have my own garage, so I have to find a suitable place to use as painting booth else where. As soon as I find one, I will procede the build.
By the way, what are the specs of your compressor and pistol?
Aloisio.
PS : What about the documentation of your beautiful T34-C ?

yeahbaby 12-13-2010 05:43 AM

Gorgeous amigo. congrats and good luck with the maiden. I'll be doing a road trip in Jan through the area and would love to pop in and say hello also. I got a few hours in the ol' girl myself. great job.

merry xmas

V35BFLYER 12-13-2010 12:57 PM

GEARED
By the way, what are the specs of your compressor and pistol?
What about the documentation of your beautiful T34-C ?
Hi pal,

As you know from painting your fantastic Tucano, preparation is everything! I used automotive polyurethane primer and paint, as I have stated previously (base coat/clear coat). My compressor has a regulator that I can "dial" the pressure up or down, and my paint guns have three valves each that I can regulate the primer or paint at the nozzle end. The three valves regulate: Volume (amount of material), spray pattern, and pressure.....at the nozzle. This is important. I do not have a small pressure gauge at the gun. I have found that using approximately 40psi, AT THE TANK, works best for me with 20 feet (6 meters) of pressure hose. Once I get everything set up, I shoot some material onto a large piece of cardboard, to see if I am getting enough material (volume of product), pressure, and the correct pattern. I can tell in a few seconds if what I see on the cardboard is what I want to "shoot" onto whatever I am spraying. And the pressures you will use to shoot your plane depend on the type of primer and paint.

But remember, I used three coats of polyurethane primer (sanding in between each coat) and then as many as 5 to 7 coats (because I was covering gray primer with light colors) of the white and yellow base paint. The black was much easier over the gray!

Color documentation was provided by the very nice people at the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida.

Kim

oconcj 02-04-2011 05:24 AM

Hi Everyone

Absolutley beautiful.

I'm currently working on a Mark Frankel T-34B model. I do have a RT Aerospace T-34C that I would be interested in selling. I have the fiberglass fuse, not the honeycomb one. The only thing I have started was to frame the wings up. I think the kit was about $450. I would sell it for $300. If anyone is interested please email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Chris

Chad Veich 02-28-2011 06:43 PM

Kim,

Not sure how I missed the finished pics of your Mentor until now but let me just say, wow! Spectacular work and I very much hope to see it up here in Phoenix at a One Eighth Air Force event in the near future. (Like 3 weeks from now :D) Very best of luck with the test flights.

hawker seahawk 07-01-2011 11:53 PM

Hi There.

I am building a 1/4 scale T-34C Turbo Mentor From the Scale Persuit Models Kit, over here in the U.K.

I see you have finished your model in the same colours as I want to paint mine in. To that end I have the following requests to make please.

Please can you tell me the F.S. colour codes for the paints that you have used. Secondly, can you post any photos and any other painting infomation that you might have, so I can add the info to the stuff I already have. Its hard to find this stuff over here. If you ever need info on a british aircraft though........

Lastly, how are the test flights going ?

My email address is : [email protected]

I have been following your builf from about page 5 and have found it very helpfull when building my own model

I do hope you can help,

Gordon Fraser.

United Kingdom.

TLH101 09-10-2011 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally flew my T-34 today. Not completely finished, but the details will come later. This is a sweet flying model. Very light feeling and grooves nicely. I ended up using Monokote on the wood parts (wing and tail). Painted the fuse and all the orange and black.
My flight today ended with a minor mishap. Seems my approach was a bit fast, so as I powered up to go around, the smoke came out of the speed controller and it lost power. Had a rough landing in the rough off the end of the runway, but no major damage.
Hope to have a vid to post later.

rgaynor 09-10-2011 04:54 PM

Hey Kim - hope all is well. What is the latest with your T-34? Have you taken her up yet? My V-Tail is completed and just waiting for a day below 90+ degrees to maiden her. Should be soon.
Ron

GEARED 09-11-2011 06:45 AM

Hi TLH101,
Your T34-C looks good! Clean build, and it seems to be a light model.
Good Job!
Looking forwward to seeing the video.
Some questions:
- how much does it weight?
- which engine/muffler did you install on the model?
- Does it fly with that 3-bladed prop? What prop is that?

Geared.

TLH101 09-11-2011 07:07 AM

Weighs about 18 1/2 lbs. Powered with a MP160 brushless outrunner. That's a Graupner Sonic 18x12 and yep, it's the flying prop. Scale size to boot. here's the video of the maiden. On the throttle up for the go-around, you can here the motor screech out of synch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzBHo4Eqk8

GEARED 09-11-2011 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice flight!
The take off was very quick, indicating a good motor thrust.
Which rpm did you get on that prop?
And on the 20 x 15 2 blade prop of the T6 Texan?
Will the plane perform a good looping?
I really like that 3 blade prop!
Please keep us posted about the next flights.
This motor/prop combo would be a good choice for my T34-C too. It is spected to weight 18 lb, and I am finishing the painting job.
Check int the picks, how the job is progressing.
Geared.

TLH101 09-11-2011 06:30 PM

On the T-34 3blade rpm is about 7200, on 10s, and 6000, on 8s. The 20x15 in the T-6 was turning about 4500 on 6s.
You plane is looking good. Lots more detail than I plan on.

RonTins 11-04-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by V35BFLYER (Post 10192535)
Mike,

Many thanks for the compliments and I appreciate your following my build! Good question, too. They say a picture or pictures are worth a thousand words, so I've enclosed a few to show how the "hidden aileron" control and attachment is done. Full design credit goes to Ray Torres of RT Aerospace (the manufacturer and designer of this kit) as I was just following his instructions in the build manual.

Kim

Tipping my hat off to you, I am simply in awe at your work Sir Kim!!

Idj42 05-10-2020 09:47 AM

Did you ever fly this?