RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Whats a better build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6348143-whats-better-build.html)

JEFFHINES73 09-09-2007 09:51 PM

Whats a better build

Ok Heres the deal :D my wife likes the topflight spitefire and thunderbolt and so do I . I just wanted to know what the better building one ? I have a few kits under my belt with the topflight series mustang, seafury . So these should be ok Alos what do you think would be the faster building plane ? Just want a nice warbird for a weekend flyer (( as my other two are my babies lol )) thanks for any help or info you could give thanks

Jeff

IL2windhawk 09-09-2007 10:41 PM

RE: Whats a better build

Heya Jeff.

I haven't built the TF P-47, but it looks fairly straight-forward except for one problem: the landing gear.
If you want to have the landing gear retract into the scale location, you have to modify the main spar.
There are a number of threads about this here in this forum.

Good luck

Johnnie Red 09-10-2007 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: JEFFHINES73

Ok Heres the deal :D my wife likes the topflight spitefire and thunderbolt and so do I . I just wanted to know what the better building one ? I have a few kits under my belt with the topflight series mustang, seafury . So these should be ok Alos what do you think would be the faster building plane ? Just want a nice warbird for a weekend flyer (( as my other two are my babies lol )) thanks for any help or info you could give thanks

Jeff
The P-47 has better ground handling. The Spit is difficult due to instabillity from the place that the landing gear is situated.
I'd go for the P-47.

Edwin 09-10-2007 05:42 PM

I agree, the P-47 would be a better build. And no need to change the gear since you want a weekend flyer.
Edwin

John Hanske 09-10-2007 05:50 PM

Gotta love the P-47. Have test flown a few, and saw one built in about three weeks!

JEFFHINES73 09-10-2007 05:58 PM

Well thanks for all the info I kinda wanted a P-47 anyways :D now Do I razer back her or bubble her mmmmmmm anyways thanks for the info

Jeff

Warbird Man 09-10-2007 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Razor back!
If your going to build the .60 size kit, It comes as a razor unless you get the conversion kit for a bubble. I had no problems building this one that I can remember other than If I built another, I would go with Robarts or Sierras. The Centry Jets are sloppy and week.

NCIS 09-10-2007 06:32 PM

Warbird Man,

I made the same mistake as you did. I spent top dollar for the 90 degree rotating CJM's retracts for my 1/8 scale TF F4U-1D Corsair only to find out they are junk right out of the box. I sent mine in for slop and after over a month I got them back with more slop. I insisted on them sending me another new set and they finally did. I'm not sending the other set back so I have spare parts. I am going to be starting on a Don Smith 1/4 scale F4U-1D Corsair with a ten foot wingspan and I am going with Darrell's Sierra Retracts for it. Century Jet Models wanted to sell me theirs but I said no thanks. No more junk.[:-] I haven't even completed the TF 1/8 scale Corsair yet and the new set is already getting a little slop from testing. The set I sent back never even made it into the wing. I'm not going to even use them for spare parts. I think I'll seel them after telling the buyer about the problem for $100.00. I probably can't give them away.

JEFFHINES73,

What ever you do, don't buy Century Jet Retracts or you will be sorry. Go with Sierra or Robart retracts as Warbird Man said. Then you will have good retracts.

Gibbs

JEFFHINES73 09-10-2007 06:39 PM

Hello

Im a robart kinda guy got them in all my planes . Thats the only thing that will slow me down on this kit is the retracks never knew why they cost somuch but maybe it just the local market here . Anyway better get off here and go work on my greatplanes lear jet :D got it off ebay lol didnt really want it but with a few mins left on the auction i picked it up for 45$$ atleast she is keeping me busy while home from work waiting for the doctors to make up there minds on my shoulder [:'(]

jeff

JEFFHINES73 09-11-2007 04:32 AM

got to talking with my local hobby shop guy and they got a global P-47 and its cheap :D so i was wondering has anyone had one of these ?