RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6429858-willhobby-fw-190-build.html)

KentuckyColonel 06-08-2008 03:04 PM

RE: WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build

ORIGINAL: PSJDBF

Hi all not a lot happening on this thread for a while.
Have been painting and assembling my cockpit kit
between repair and maintenance of the rest of the fleet.
Some pics of the progress.
Cheers Steffan.
Instrument panels are looking good!

Ed Couch 06-14-2008 05:00 PM

Folks

Need a little help in locating color for a Willhobby FW-190 that is in work right now. There has been mention of a couple of Navy tri-color blue paint added to two captured FW-190s. I'm seen the red one mentioned in the thread above but have not found any thread, picture, or discription of the two Navy FW's. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated as its such a novelty item it might be worth doing now as I'm having to wait 5 or 6 weeks for a set of retracts (KMP) and wheels for the butcher bird. I may fly it for a short time in stock paint and fixed gear until the new retracts become available. She will be powered by a Turnigy 110 size motor and eight cells and come in at about 9 pounds so it should haul the mail. I have a Sig P-51B in similar configuration and it hauls the mail. Thanks for any help you can give me. ed

KentuckyColonel 06-14-2008 06:26 PM

[link=http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/451/3/0/1]This[/link] is the only US, non Red one I have come across.

Ed Couch 06-15-2008 04:29 AM

Colonel

Thanks for the information.

ed

hellcat56 06-15-2008 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of flying shots
Landing already dropped my bomb, flaps down, gear down, just starting to settle
victory roll
just love this plane
Hellcat56

Ed Couch 06-16-2008 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lawrence

Missed you this Sunday we all had a ball at the field. I had a number of color sets for the FW and wanted your advice on a couple. Maybe next week. Still trying to hunt down the gears but ordered a few parts for the new bird. Getting started tomorrow on build and I keep leaning towards a sister ship of yours in white or possibly a Med paint in the desert tan or mustard color and egg blue on belly. The white just works for our weather here in Tejas. Lawrence ain't kidding on how well his white bird flies, she's sweet in the air and just looks good even on the ground. I have a little lady just waiting to mix it up at Angels 10. It would be a classic match of IC versus Trons or is it Stang against the Butcher Bird. Going to be fun anyway. ed

hellcat56 06-16-2008 09:25 PM

Ed
Good flying shots
What field were you at?
Hellcat

Ed Couch 06-17-2008 02:48 AM

Photo's taken at the Sherman field about six weeks ago at an electric meet. They are having another big bird meet on the 28th of this month and I think some of us are heading up for that. Come on old son!

docsparklin 06-17-2008 03:41 PM

Hello everyone! Doc Sparklin here from Texoma RC in Sherman, TX. Recently acquired a NIB WHobby FW-190, searched for and found this thread and have been reading it and making notes. So far I have stripped the wings, repaired the heavy-thumbed Chinese builder holes in the sheeting, re-inforced all the weak rib joints with medium CA (seems like they used thin CA throughout and sparingly, joints separated just touching them), re-inforced the landing gear areas and secured the tail feathers. Mounted the aileron servos, retract servo and air tank, and flap servo, all in the wing. Getting close to covering the wings in Solartex once I am comfortable I am done inside the wing. Will leave access panels for the retracts/mounting rails for work/repair.

At this point I need to decide on the engine. I have a pumped OS 4S 1.20 but I am tempted to boost the power with either a 2S OS 1.40 rear exhaust or a ST 2300 with Pitts muffler. With the rear exhaust I have the option of running the exhaust through the fuse but am concerned about internal heat. Have never tried it but the heat would be my concern. Can cut a hole under the fuse just past the wing for the exhaust. Could also run the exhaust outside the fuse to a tuned pipe/muffler. The 2300 might be way too much but since I beefed up the rib/sheeting joints I feel less concerned about it. With the Pitts and dual pressure taps, it runs like a dream and sounds like a gasser.

Any thoughts from this learned group?
Thanks,
Doc

docsparklin 06-17-2008 03:45 PM

Good looking bird. I took several pics of it at the TBird Warbird Fly-In. Tracy and I are building our FW-190s now. You didn't appear to be underpowered. See you in Sherman Aug 23 for the Texoma RC Warbird?
Doc

LDM 06-17-2008 08:31 PM

Doc , the FW need weight in the nose if you have not purchased the engine yet I would go G26EI , I think its 48oz vs the Saito 180 , I think is 32oz , also you can move all your wing servos with careful planning ahead on the main wing spar , that puts almost 5oz ahead of the CG

docsparklin 06-17-2008 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info, LDM. The 3 engines I mentioned are ones I already have. Good idea to move everything forward. I always try to avoid adding dead weight instead of power. Think replacing the dowel pushrods with CF would help shift the CG forward?

docsparklin 06-18-2008 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the reinforcing I did for the retracts. Will cover the wings in gray, have painted up the sides of the fuse so the green fuse and gray wing joint will not be so striking, then accent the gray wings with camo colors to keep the theme going. Not trying to build a Top Gun bird, just something that doesn't look totally out of the box. Doc [img][/img]

LDM 06-18-2008 11:38 PM

Doc , yes I do think the carbon rods will help.
Also williams brothers makes great wheeks for this plane just look them up

Ompa 06-19-2008 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: KentuckyColonel

I got a good start on the cockpit yesterday evening. Still some detail work to do on the upper and lower panels, better trimming, add switches, knobs, levers and such, then onto the side panels and sight.
I'm building a KMP FW-190 and i going to build a complete cockpit for my FW-190. Just wondering what type of cockpit kit you have used and were did you bought it?

LDM 06-19-2008 06:56 PM

OMPA , you can try IMP scale in Florida they make a very very scale kit for $30

LDM 06-19-2008 06:58 PM

Phone ..................................352-464-4189

E-mail [email protected]

Snail Mail Impscale

1070 E.Chorus Crt.

Hernando Fl.34442

KentuckyColonel 06-19-2008 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Ompa

ORIGINAL: KentuckyColonel

I got a good start on the cockpit yesterday evening. Still some detail work to do on the upper and lower panels, better trimming, add switches, knobs, levers and such, then onto the side panels and sight.
I'm building a KMP FW-190 and i going to build a complete cockpit for my FW-190. Just wondering what type of cockpit kit you have used and were did you bought it?

I did an online order from [link=http://www.buyaero.com]buyaero.com[/link] for the Dyna Scale cockpit. FW-190 1/5 Platt $36.95

Ompa 06-20-2008 03:06 AM

Thank's guys for quick answers. I have just send an e-mail to Impscale about shippment fee to Sweden, and also just checked out buyaero.com homepage.
I do wonder one thing more. I thought my KMP FW-190 was in 1:6 scale, but your's Willhobby FW-190 are similar in size. Is it OK to buy a cockpit set in scale 1:5? Do i have to make mouch trimming to make it fit? Or is it me who have got wrong information about the scale on my FW-190?
(I hope my English is not to bad for you to understand. It was a long time since i read English in school [sm=red_smile.gif] )

PSJDBF 06-20-2008 06:59 AM

Hey ompa hows things ?
I think you'll find that the willhobby/cmpro 190 has an over sized cockpit area.
Everyone is using 1/5 scale cockpit kits and they seem to fit fine.
I have used a 1/5 scale inzpan kit and that required no trimming at all.
What are the measurements of the cockpit area on the KMP 190 ?.
Cheers Steffan.

Ompa 06-20-2008 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello PSJDBF. Things are going great.
Well i have measure as best i could on my model. I have taken some pictures and whit the measurements on. I hope they will do.

Sorry if the measurements not are in INCH, in Sweden we use the metric system so all measurement are in Centimeters (Cm)

Ompa 06-20-2008 08:20 AM

Recived an E-mail from Ed at buyaero.com
That kit they sell (same as KentuckyColonel used) will fit whith minor trimming.
So i ordered a kit [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
At least i have somthing to work whith rather than nothing at all. I think it will be easier to use an allredy existing kit and work whit that instead of building up a complet cockpit from scratch, and than anyway have to buy a little her and there. Did that whit an Mustang a coupple a years ago, and found out that it had would be cheeper to bought Top Flite cockpit kit instead of scratch build one [sm=72_72.gif]

KentuckyColonel 06-20-2008 04:08 PM

Ompa,

The kit will fit just fine. I actually trimmed a little too much on mine, (I just cut out the pieces without accurate measurements) but it still looked okay, once everything was in and painted up. Good luck!

Ompa 06-20-2008 05:09 PM

Thanks KentuckyColonel.

PSJDBF 06-21-2008 07:47 AM

Hey hellcat56 what auw has your 190 come in at ?.
Cheers Steffan.