RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Looking for Corsair tail wheel build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7048642-looking-corsair-tail-wheel-build.html)

chilie 02-20-2008 12:20 PM

RE: Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

I would be able to start now if I had the PC board. Darn company I ordered from is taking forever to ship me my stuff!

saramos 02-20-2008 01:21 PM

There certainly are a LOT of people to see you back Luke! I be one of them. Looks like quite a few didn't know the new name you've been using.

I see in your list of projects, you listed a Top Flite P-51B. Is this the 1/7 kit, 1/5 kit, or the new ARF? I'm finally starting in on my TF 1/7 P-51B electric build and would be very interested in learning more about your project.

Scott

ReaperGrim 02-20-2008 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, sorry I’ve been absent lately, but we got hit by a tornado on Sunday. It just started to dissipate when it got over our house. So it just smashed the windows in my car, dented them and scratched the paint all over with flying shingles and other debris. We had no power for a few days and I just now got internet access again. I’ll be back later on tonight to answer the posts and my PM’s, nice to see you all again! That was a close one! Here are some pictures of my neighborhood and a few down the street:

warks62 02-20-2008 08:04 PM

Luke glad to see you came out without to much damage but still enough to make things a bit rough to me. Glad it wasn't any worse. Hope all goes well.

Randy

chilie 02-20-2008 08:16 PM

Luke
That really sucsk bro! The worst I have to worry about where I live is earthquakes. I'm glad you are okay and I hope your planes made it through okay as well!

saramos 02-20-2008 09:18 PM

Wow, looks like you just barely dodged the big bullet. Still sorry to hear about your damage. Glad to hear you're ok.

Scott

Kelsey_B 02-21-2008 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Luke,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You have gone from dodging hurricanes to feeling the effects of a tornado. Hope the damage isn't too bad.

I played with this tail wheel, and generated this parts drawing, but I wasn't sure how strong the soldered circuit board would be, and I couldn't figure out how to make the shock funtional and let the frame move at the same time.

After seeing smugators video, the gear definitely looks pretty stout. I also saw where the frame actually doesn't move. It flexes under load. In a way, the frame itself is a spring or damper. Now I'm wondering if the gear would be subject to fatigue, or maybe "good" landings shouldn't apply that much stress to the gear.

Anyway, I would definitely like to see a thread on this tail wheel.

ReaperGrim 02-21-2008 06:30 PM

Sounds good I know I could figure it out but your templates take hours of R&D off the build and that is a big relief for me. By the way I forgot how good your Corsair looks very impressive.

Randy
Thanks Randy, I know what you mean about the R&D, it can make life much easier when someone has already done it!

I was hoping you could offer some clarity on how the steering mechanism and shock absorber are assembled.
Chilie, I believe that most if not all of your questions will be answered in my build, so stay tuned and ask any questions after we start!

I too was searching for information on your Corsair build, specifically the gear door mechanism (both mains and tailwheel), as well as the scratch tailwheel build. Welcome back!
Sam (yep, another Sam).
Hi Sam, Well you found it, some of it anyway, so thanks and enjoy!

Seems like there is a lot of interest in the Corsair tailwheel build from Lukes plan's. Ours is about 90% done.
Tom that tail wheel looks very nice, great job on that! Get motivated to build and finish that thing, it’s going to be a beauty!

works for me! Good to see you back Luke, retrobates need to keep on this place hehe
Yea, thanks Pete! I don’t know about “retrobates, but a few reprobates like us need to spice this place up! LOL!

I see in your list of projects, you listed a Top Flite P-51B. Is this the 1/7 kit, 1/5 kit, or the new ARF? I'm finally starting in on my TF 1/7 P-51B electric build and would be very interested in learning more about your project.

Scott
Thanks Scott, I started a 1/7 scale P-51 way back when and stopped working on it for some reason. It has some options, I’ll drop in on your build and see what you are up to.

After seeing smugators video, the gear definitely looks pretty stout. I also saw where the frame actually doesn't move. It flexes under load. In a way, the frame itself is a spring or damper. Now I'm wondering if the gear would be subject to fatigue, or maybe "good" landings shouldn't apply that much stress to the gear.

Anyway, I would definitely like to see a thread on this tail wheel.
Hi Kelsey B, thanks for the well wishes, we should be fine. I think I like hurricanes more than tornados though, you get a warning with hurricanes! I remember well the 4 hurricanes that went directly over my house in FL in 04!

As far as the durability goes, these tail wheel units are strong. I challenge you to cut a hole in some PC board the same diameter of a brass tube, solder the brass tube on both sides to the PC board, then using whatever force you want try pushing the brass tube out of the PC board. You will not be able to do it with your bare hands. This tail wheel design does not rely on one solder joint, it’s a combination of solder joints and cleverly set PC board that distributes the load, it’s already been proven in the field along with my soldered Hellcat tail wheel made with the same material. Follow along and build one!

ReaperGrim 02-21-2008 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok class, everyone take your seats and get out your tin snips and soldering guns, we are going to make some cool Corsair tail wheel retract units!

#1 First you need to size the plans, enlarged them until the part “B” shown in the first picture is 4 5/8”. Using that as a guide you should be able to get everything pretty close. It’s not super critical, just get it close.

#2 Next we will start with shock strut, this is machined out of ¼” aluminum rod, leaving the thickest part ¼” so that the 9/32” brass tube fits over it. On the plans the small brass tube that fits over the lower shock rod is labeled ¼”.

#3 Cut Shock Top from 7/32” brass tube, Shock Sleeve from 9/32” Brass and shock Base from 13/16” Brass. I think the shock base is 13/16”, I don’t have any labeled in my entire stash.

#4 Next cut a stiff spring to about 1” length. You don’t want this to be soft, it will have to take some weight so choose your spring carefully.

#5 Next scribe all of the parts onto your PC board material, I like to use the back side of an exacto blade to scratch the surface. Pay attention to the direction of the weave of the cloth in your parts. Cut all of your holes in the parts at this time. Next using a heavy set of tin snips as shown in the picture, rough cut around the parts. You can try and use a saw of some kind with this stuff, but it will destroy your saw blades after cutting just a few inches!

#6 Then using a disk sander I sand the parts down to the scribed line.

#7 For the wheel forks I insert my axle and sand the forks to shape.

A note on the shock: When you cut the brass tube you should use a tube cutter that has a cutting wheel that you tighten down with every turn, this slightly pinches the tube preventing the shock plunger from pulling out. If you just hack the tube off with a cutting wheel your shock will not function properly.

ReaperGrim 02-21-2008 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#8 Next gather your wheel fork parts and your tail wheel that you will be using. Find the center in the square top piece and drill a 1/8” hole. Do not enlarge these holes, make them tight for maximum strength.

#9 I use a balsa block jig to align my wheel forks, drill a hole for the axle tube and then just pin the forks down. The first thing we need to solder is the 1/8” brass in the top square piece of the fork assembly, solder both top and bottom.

#10 With a very small drop of CA you can hold the top piece in place on the balsa jig.

#11 Cut two brass angle pieces to solder and reinforce the forks, make sure you clean all of your brass and PC board with 400 grit sandpaper for a good bond.

#12 Next remove the forks from the jig and solder the inside joint.

#13 Test fit your wheel. I use a combination of brass tube for the axle. A short piece that fits flush with the plastic rim, then another a little wider to keep the wheel centered. And then finally the smaller axle that fits through the forks.

ReaperGrim 02-21-2008 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#14 Next we need to cut the main tube that is soldered to the forks (1/2” brass tube) and the tube that it fits into (17/32” brass tube I think!)

#15 We need to make two small disks out of PC board to help center the 1/8 steering arm, I drilled 1/8” holes and then machined the parts to the correct diameter on my lathe.

#16 Here you can see how the parts fit, make them a tight fit and they will really make this part tough and easy to assemble. Solder the one closest to the forks in first because you will not have access to it.

#17 Slide it over the 1/8” brass tube on the forks.

#18 Insert the top spacer as shown.

#19 Then finally solder the ½” brass tube to the forks and then solder the top spacer. Make sure to leave a small lip on the spacers so that you have something to solder them to.

chilie 02-21-2008 09:13 PM

I'm loving it so far! I can clearly see how the parts come together. I cant wait to see the rest of it. Obviously having a lathe is important. Luckly a member of the club I belong to has such a machine! I guess I need to buy him lunch or something.

I did want to clarify though, when you say "enlarge part "B" to 4-5/8", is it safe to assume this is the correct size for 1/8 scale? I had no idea this thing would be so large!

ReaperGrim 02-21-2008 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: chilie

I'm loving it so far! I can clearly see how the parts come together. I cant wait to see the rest of it. Obviously having a lathe is important. Luckly a member of the club I belong to has such a machine! I guess I need to buy him lunch or something.

I did want to clarify though, when you say "enlarge part "B" to 4-5/8", is it safe to assume this is the correct size for 1/8 scale? I had no idea this thing would be so large!
Glad you like it so far, like I said it will clear most of your questions up I think.

I should have made it more clear, this is an enlarged 1/6 scale version. If you are building the 1/8 tail wheel just follow the plans as written. Stay tuned for more!

chilie 02-21-2008 09:43 PM

gotcha!

WhoDaMan 02-21-2008 09:46 PM

Hi Luke:
My goodness I was wondering what had happen and I have been waiting for this thread for the build, I hope all is well with the folks back there and all is going better for all of you, Thank you for the building lesson's I really love the follow a long.

Dave in Cali.

TEBerg 02-21-2008 11:38 PM

Wow, this unit is looking great and it is really helping me with ideas.. Not to slow anyone down, but I'm gonna have to ask some questions - I must be a little slow..

1) Are the PC board and Brass tube soldered together with regular electrical solder and a high temp iron or gun??

2) On the PC board, you said to "Pay attention to the direction of the weave of the cloth in your parts," are we looking for cross-grain to the axle??

3) What size is the tail wheel, it looks like 1.5 inches, but in the assembly picture it looks flat.. Did you switch wheels/brand or trim it down??

Do you think that 1/8-inch brass will bear the direct load for a tail wheel.. I ask because I'm starting a Global Skyraider and I want to add some scale detail. My father was in VA-25 on the Midway in 1965 when they had the Mig kill and delivered some "special" ordinance (Toilet Bomb)..

I need a 3/4-inch tail wheel that looks like a hockey puck and the tail wheel assemble is a very interesting 'rocker' arm set with an oleo. I can't afford all the weight to make someting scale, but woul at least like the profile to look close.. I don't have a pic on hand, but it's unique.

The tailwheel is currently 1/8-inch spring that goes right into the nylon steering block.

So, I'm wondering if I could build tye tailwheel see-saw out of PC board and run 1/8-tube right into the steering block, or would that be too weak?? I could go with larger brass and use 1/8 music wire into the steering block..

Any ideas would be great..

Thanks,

Tom

SMUGator 02-22-2008 12:41 AM

This is at least the 4th tailwheel build I've seen you do, and I still have fun following along. I guess I'm just easily entertained. :)

Tom

joey_snaproll 02-22-2008 03:43 AM

Please tell me that this is for the big corsair you have hinted at building? And if it is ,should we expect to see a new bigger corsair cockpit to go with it? you know you'll have one sold to me if you build it. Have my parts cut out for the tail wheel and did some soldering but got side tracked. I like to see the jig you make to assemble the main body part.

Glad to hear you didn't have to much damage and your okay.

Joe

ReaperGrim 02-22-2008 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan

Hi Luke:
My goodness I was wondering what had happen and I have been waiting for this thread for the build, I hope all is well with the folks back there and all is going better for all of you, Thank you for the building lesson's I really love the follow a long.

Dave in Cali.
Thanks Dave, yea everyone made it OK but it did slow my build down quite a bit!

ReaperGrim 02-22-2008 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some good questions Tom, I’ll see if I can answer them:

1) Are the PC board and Brass tube soldered together with regular electrical solder and a high temp iron or gun??
Yes

2) On the PC board, you said to "Pay attention to the direction of the weave of the cloth in your parts," are we looking for cross-grain to the axle??
This is mainly because the PC board flexes on the shock pieces of the Corsair unit, it just keeps everything even from the start.

3) What size is the tail wheel, it looks like 1.5 inches, but in the assembly picture it looks flat.. Did you switch wheels/brand or trim it down??
I just grabbed what I have on hand, they are very light foam wheels. Yes, I was messing around with two different wheels seeing which one I liked. Look at the pictures below, I’ll show you how I made a tail wheel with washer hose and wood. You would just have to find the right diameter of rubber hose and then spin a wood wheel to the correct size.

Do you think that 1/8-inch brass will bear the direct load for a tail wheel.. I ask because I'm starting a Global Skyraider and I want to add some scale detail. My father was in VA-25 on the Midway in 1965 when they had the Mig kill and delivered some "special" ordinance (Toilet Bomb)..
Packed with a hardwood plug.

I need a 3/4-inch tail wheel that looks like a hockey puck and the tail wheel assemble is a very interesting 'rocker' arm set with an oleo. I can't afford all the weight to make someting scale, but woul at least like the profile to look close.. I don't have a pic on hand, but it's unique.
PC board is very light, you would not be adding weight.

The tailwheel is currently 1/8-inch spring that goes right into the nylon steering block.

So, I'm wondering if I could build tye tailwheel see-saw out of PC board and run 1/8-tube right into the steering block, or would that be too weak?? I could go with larger brass and use 1/8 music wire into the steering block..
The Skyraider tail wheel would be an interesting project, I’m unsure how it functions right off hand, but I would recommend that you have some kind of shock built in. But yes, the PC board would be more than up to the task.

ReaperGrim 02-22-2008 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: joey_snaproll

Please tell me that this is for the big corsair you have hinted at building? And if it is ,should we expect to see a new bigger corsair cockpit to go with it? you know you'll have one sold to me if you build it. Have my parts cut out for the tail wheel and did some soldering but got side tracked. I like to see the jig you make to assemble the main body part.

Glad to hear you didn't have to much damage and your okay.

Joe
Hi Joe, Yes, one of these is going in my 1/6 Corsair, but this is not the thread! I'll keep you posted though and yes you will get the parts! Get going on that tail wheel and follow along!

Thanks bud!

ReaperGrim 02-22-2008 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

This is at least the 4th tailwheel build I've seen you do, and I still have fun following along. I guess I'm just easily entertained. :)

Tom
:D

TEBerg 02-22-2008 01:01 PM

Luke,

Wow, thank you very much for the information..

OK, I'm off to Radio Shack to pick up some PC board and start looking at my options.. Adding a Shock would be a trick, but I might be able to work a spring inside the fuselage..

Thanks

ReaperGrim 02-22-2008 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let’s build the tail hook, this is the one thing that impresses people and it’s very simple to do. It can also be operated with a mini servo and it weighs next to nothing, so you won’t be doing any arrested carrier landings! Just some dirty passes with everything down including your tail hook!

#20 Transfer the side profile onto your balsa block and cut it out with a scroll saw. Next transfer the top shape and take it down with your table top disk sander.

#21 Next just take some ¼” aluminum tube and push it into the end of the balsa hook, pull it back out and put a drop of medium CA in the tube and them permanently attach it.
#22 Sand it to shape getting as creative as you want, sand it smooth and apply a good coat of finishing resin. Finish sanding and then set it aside.

#22 Back to our wheel forks, they need a retaining ring to as shown on the drawings and in my pictures. I just drilled a ½” hole, sanded it to a circle shape with my disk sander and then put the whole assembly on the lathe to finish it. You don’t want the ring being to big and you only need to solder it on the bottom, do not solder the top or your forks will not turn very easy if at all.

#23 Make sure it’s a good fit, the tighter the fit the stronger the parts will be. I enlarged a picture of the full scale tail wheel to 1/6 to check my distances and the actual length of the shaft. I used my other piece of brass slid over the ½” piece to keep the disk level. Turned the whole thing upside down in my small vise and soldered it.

ReaperGrim 02-22-2008 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#24 Scribe a center line on your mounting plate and solder the post on as shown, make sure it’s straight.

#25 Cut the main wheel fork brass to the proper angle, I use my disk sander.

#26 Next align it on part B and scribe around it so that you can enlarge the hole to the proper size. Again, it must be a tight fit, if it’s sloppy it won’t be as strong and it will be harder to solder. Make sure it’s as straight as possible looking from back to front and front to back.

#27 Now for the allusive jig! It’s just some balsa slabs stuck together! I drew a center line on the balsa parts and assembled them at the proper angle, works great. Pin down the tail wheel parts A and B as shown with T pins. Part A should overlap part B slightly.

#28 Clamp on your pivot tube, use 3/32” brass tube, and solder.